• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter Direct (October 27th)

So I'm curious about what you guys think about hunting styles/the skills system.

Personally I hope they don't keep it for MH5. Whilst not a inherently bad system, I think it would be better to have it in a sort of side series of games. Think generations as being between mainline releases so 5, 5g, Gen2, 6, etc.

I really liked the suggestion earlier that we could bind movesets to particular weapons

This would incentivise using a variety and add a level of uniquness that weapons need outside of just getting the best of each element type

Dargor

Yes, they're announcing Monster Hunter for PS4 and Xbox One on Nintendo's channel.

I'm sure that's exactly what is.

Are you familiar with what a Direct presentation is?

Yes, I would definitely expect a PS4/XB1 Monster Hunter on a Direct.

Oops, sorry folks.

Its just that those Directs are usually called "Nintendo Direct", so when I saw MH Direct I thought it was something entirely separated from Nintendo

Vuze

So I'm curious about what you guys think about hunting styles/the skills system.

Personally I hope they don't keep it for MH5. Whilst not a inherently bad system, I think it would be better to have it in a sort of side series of games. Think generations as being between mainline releases so 5, 5g, Gen2, 6, etc.
imo they just need to implement it better. Tie style and arts to a weapon via decos or sth. Always such a hassle to swap stuff. But knowing their adoption rate of QOL improvements (see: remove all decos. Everybody has been asking for this since MH2/MHP2 and it only took them 6 years or so)...
I wouldn't be too sad if they dropped it even though I liked bushido hammer and bow quite a bit.

Orayn

Wonder if 3DS and NX can do local MP together? If they can, I'm half expecting cross-gen MH5. Being a de facto console game because of NX would make a lot of people happy.

I really liked the suggestion earlier that we could bind movesets to particular weapons

This would incentivise using a variety and add a level of uniquness that weapons need outside of just getting the best of each element type
Let's take already mechanically dense gameplay systems and add even more crap on top of it. What could possibly go wrong

Looking back on the MH4 concept trailer, it's actually quite neat how much of the final product is present despite so many claiming it was a reimagining when it debuted. I kind of hope MH5 shakes up the formula something fierce personally.

HawthorneKitty

Sgt. 2nd Class in the Creep Battalion, Waifu Wars
Wonder if 3DS and NX can do local MP together? If they can, I'm half expecting cross-gen MH5. Being a de facto console game because of NX would make a lot of people happy.
What's an NX? 3DS users were already disadvantaged compared to n3DS; I dread such a feature.

I like them overall, just probably have it more refined in some way in later entries by maybe tying arts/styles as some kind of equippable like decorations. Would help balance out certain weapons and armor more that have less defence, attack, element, # of slots, etc. The styles and arts made me love some weapons that I haven't liked in previous installments like LS and GL.

Kinsei

Banned

They either need to be massively rebalanced or just cut from the game entirely. They are fun but they ruin the fights if you're using adept or aerial.

Generations as a whole is kind of a mess so I'd be fine if the series continued on while pretending it never existed (Even if I would miss the new monsters). The game was like showing up to a party a few hours late and everyone is already shitfaced.

andthebeatgoeson

I too can not wait for a proper Nintendo Switch MH game, including the obvious Nintendo Switch Axe DLC

source.gif

Seriously tho, I DO want the new generation of MonHun to abandon its traditional limits and aim for something big, just like Zelda is doing.

Dis too much. But I'm on board.

Prototype

I didn't care for them. Just seemed to make the game easier and give the player more outs for sloppy play.

I wouldn't be opposed to them coming back, but they'd have to be reworked, i.e. Less get out of jail free type moves.
Also fuxking Capcom has to add "super meter" to everything at some point lol. Don't think MH really needed it.

Edit
The game was like showing up to a party a few hours late and everyone is already shitfaced.
So true lolololol

Ridley327

Guys, it's not MH5. Investors would be lynching Capcom execs for setting sales expectations to just 2 million. It's something less splashy, which fits MHGU perfectly.

And they're not about to announce and release a brand new generation within 5 months time.

Demoli

I'm honestly still surprised MHXG will be on the 3DS. I thought they'd take the route they did back in the 3DS lifespan and release XG on the switch, leading up to 5

I'm honestly still surprised MHXG will be on the 3DS. I thought they'd take the route they did back in the 3DS lifespan and release XG on the switch, leading up to 5

It could still be a switch game. But since it won't come out till next year anyway, no big loss if it doesn't get announced today. It will just be another big bomb on that fate ful switch game announcement direct

TheOasis

I didn't care for them. Just seemed to make the game easier and give the player more outs for sloppy play.

I wouldn't be opposed to them coming back, but they'd have to be reworked, i.e. Less get out of jail free type moves.
Also fuxking Capcom has to add "super meter" to everything at some point lol. Don't think MH really needed it.

Absolute Evasion/Readiness might be the one art that influenced high level play the most and I would love for the move to make a return in some way for MH5. Lesser skilled players might just use it simply as a get out of jail free move which is fine considering you cant spam it (unlike the adept-style evade) because you have to fill up its arts gauge first for every use. However, for veterans it allows them to be hyper aggressive. It lets them instantly chase down a monster and re-position themselves in front of the part of the monster they want to hit all in one move, as well as being a way for them to mitigate bad RNG making it less tedious to speed run quests.

exfatal

Lol Switch is backwards compatible with 3ds calling it now

Either way interested in MH stories so wanna see what they got to show on that

If this will be MH5?

They announced MH4, 5 years ago at the September 2011 Direct Event.

Even though we got 4G recently and the (greatest hits Gen), 5 has to have begun development by now, right?

Eolz

If this will be MH5?

They announced MH4, 5 years ago at the September 2011 Direct Event.

Even though we got 4G recently and the (greatest hits Gen), 5 has to have begun development by now, right?

No chance yet. Main team was on Stories, they can't announce Switch titles fully yet (they can vaguely tease, hence the crossgen guess that wouldn't make sense for 5), etc.
That said, they could show that new game (XG or whatever) then end on a "5 will be on switch" like they did in the past, but I'm sure they're keeping that for the big Switch lineup reveal event.

Oregano

Isn't it far, far, far more likely this is about Monster Hunter Frontier Z?

Why? It's a multiplatform update of a low selling MMO that's been on Wii U for ages.

It's not even particularly Nintendo associated.

That's without mentioning that Cap on definitely has an unannounced major MH title coming out before March.

L Thammy

I hope it's a Monster Hunter that doesn't actually play like Monster Hunter and isn't structured like Monster Hunter and isn't on any of the platforms Monster Hunter is on

But seriously, whatever it is needs to have Gigginox. It is my spirit animal.

casiopao

I hope it's a Monster Hunter that doesn't actually play like Monster Hunter and isn't structured like Monster Hunter and isn't on any of the platforms Monster Hunter is on

......L Thammy. You should stop using whatever u are using there lol. As it shows here.^_^

And all of the monsters are based on King Dodongo's move set from Hyrule Warriors.
Why not play as the monsters and hunt down hundreds of hunters instead? :)

Anywayz: As a newbie MH fan with 4U and Gen I'm excited to find out. Hope its 5 but it'll probably be GU. I'm slow and stil in HR3 in Gen so I'm kinda not excited for more gen especially since I suck at GRank.

JimPanzer

Hype intensifies! Best possible outcome for me would be an MHXG announcement for 3DS now and a tease for MH5 on Switch.
Also let MHXG make better use of the New 3DS' improved power.

Now deliver, Capcom!

Top Bottom