• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter Direct (October 27th)

Really? I went from MH(PS2) to Tri, Tri U, 4U and then to Gen. I'd say the level design has taken a massive step up over that transition and it's painfully obvious in Generations.

I have played all generations too, and while MonHon4 improved a lot the level design, Generations did the poorest job at that possible.

Ai improved a lot in MH4 too, but that's the thing, they CAN do more now, that was years ago.

Just like MHTri wiped the franchise and got rid of old hitboxes and animations and dumb AI, I feel like Gen 5 needs to do something similar, to improve as a whole, not just add moves and monsters here and there.

If you think about it, Gen 1 and 2 were the very similar (even tho Gen 2 added a lot of stuff), and in some way, Gen 3 and 4 were similar also, and while MH4 improved the AI and level design, they were both about verticallity (one in water, other in the air and level structure).

So in other words, I feel like Gen 5 needs to do what Gen 3 did: to stablish a new set of options, to improve the mechanics even more, and do important changes, not just add cool moves and jumps. Think the concept trailer for MonHun 4 but looking good, it showed way more options than what we really got.

DrArchon

The problem with this is, that we might end up with something like Tri. I mean I kinda want something new too, but at the same time I don't want to miss out on content.

Depends on what kind of content gets cut though. Cutting things like certain weapons would suck, but cutting a lot of the older monsters would be great. It's not like we ever need to see anything with 'drome in its name ever again.

Depends on what kind of content gets cut though. Cutting things like certain weapons would suck, but cutting a lot of the older monsters would be great. It's not like we ever need to see anything with 'drome in its name ever again.

They probably would cut as much as possible. Remember this would have to be all animated from scratch. They could borrow some from MHO but that game looks like ass animation-wise.
I'm not against evolution, just fear that they would cut HH again like in Tri.

R0ckman

I want a rebirth, this series feels like asset gumbo that is getting too crazy. I'm playing 3U and Generations back to back and prefer the simplicity of 3U. The Monsters have gone way to crazy AI-wise to compensate for all the insane moves the players can pull now. It becomes annoying to fight monsters now.

Oregano

I have played all generations too, and while MonHon4 improved a lot the level design, Generations did the poorest job at that possible.

Ai improved a lot in MH4 too, but that's the thing, they CAN do more now, that was years ago.

Just like MHTri wiped the franchise and got rid of old hitboxes and animations and dumb AI, I feel like Gen 5 needs to do something similar, to improve as a whole, not just add moves and monsters here and there.

If you think about it, Gen 1 and 2 were the very similar (even tho Gen 2 added a lot of stuff), and in some way, Gen 3 and 4 were similar also, and while MH4 improved the AI and level design, they were both about verticallity (one in water, other in the air and level structure).

So in other words, I feel like Gen 5 needs to do what Gen 3 did: to stablish a new set of options, to improve the mechanics even more, and do important changes, not just add cool moves and jumps. Think the concept trailer for MonHun 4 but looking good, it showed way more options than what we really got.

Oh, I pretty much agree. My thought would be that MonHun 5 is a soft reboot ala Tri with a lot less monsters present(kind of required if they're redoing all the graphics) and Generations (Ultimate) would be there to keep the fans happy with a content packed game in the mean time.

THIS.

I mean, just like in MHtri we got a rest from Gen 1 and 2 monsters, and Gen 4 gave some rest to Gen3 Monsters, I feel like we need a rest from all the 4 generations of Monsters now, even more after we just played the litteral "all in one" MHGenerations (and will possibly MHGenUltimate).

We need new monsters types that change the game like the Leviathans and Brute Wyverns did. I need to feel amazed again, and another samey samey MonHun with HD but the same limitations won't surprise me.

I want a rebirth, this series feels like asset gumbo that is getting too crazy. I'm playing 3U and Generations back to back and prefer the simplicity of 3U. The Monsters have gone way to crazy AI-wise to compensate for all the insane moves the players can pull now. It becomes annoying to fight monsters now.

What? It's incredible and the reason why most people love MH. The combat is unchallenged in hunting games and I dare to say most other action titles.

THIS
I mean, just like in MHtri we got a rest from Gen 1 and 2 monsters, and Gen 4 gave some rest to Gen3 Monsters, I feel like we need a rest from all the 4 generations of Monsters now, even more after we just played the litteral "all in one" MHGenerations (and will possibly MHGenUltimate).
Tri was an abomination. And everything was put back in into P3rd and 3G. What Gen 3 monster where missing in 4 besides the very specific water ones? (even those made an appearance in some form sooner or later).

KingBroly

Banned

monster Hunter, by Ninja Theory :p

DrArchon

They probably would cut as much as possible. Remember this would have to be all animated from scratch. They could borrow some from MHO but that game looks like ass animation-wise.
I'm not against evolution, just fear that they would cut HH again like in Tri.

Yeah, losing weapons would blow, but there's always the chance they'd make up for it by adding even more weapons. I know Tri dropped the ball here by taking away so much and only adding Switch Axe, but there's still a chance that even if Capcom cut 2-3 weapons they could still add 2-3.

R0ckman

What? It's incredible and the reason why most people love MH. The combat is unchallenged in hunting games and I dare to say most other action titles.

I'm fine with the basic core gameplay but the Gen additions of arts and styles aren't melding well with the monsters or the gameplay, some styles completely nullify monsters. Things are insane now.

On the opposite end their are old monsters that are very robotic compared to new ones.

Gvitor

Really? I went from MH(PS2) to Tri, Tri U, 4U and then to Gen. I'd say the level design has taken a massive step up over that transition and it's painfully obvious in Generations.

What? No...

The level design in Generations is the worst in the series in a while and easily one of the worst points of the game.

They have like, 1 new area, the rest are all areas from previous Monster Hunters with some slapped-in 2x2 elevated terrains so you can jump and mount. Which is completey unnecessary since aerials are everywhere and mount without it (and more frequently than when someone actually mounts with the elevated terrains).

There's basic to zero level design in this game. They didn't accomodate the new mechanics at all.

I like generations a lot, but level design specifically is not what is good about it.

I feel no need to cut weapons, they worked well in MH4U and I think they can keep them all.

The Styles and Arts? Yeah, those need refinement. Could be out for MH5 and come back in MH5G for me, not gonna miss them a lot.

Maybe just keep the newest types of monsters, the older ones can go on vacation. Focus on new monster types and better terrain design and interaction.

I can not forgive how bad the maps were for MHGen. The "redesigns" were the same old flat levels with some ledges here and there. So bad compared to the work they did to the Gen 1 desert in MH4G.

Syril

The problem with this is, that we might end up with something like Tri. I mean I kinda want something new too, but at the same time I don't want to miss out on content.

I know Tri looked bad on paper, but that game was a huge leap forward mechanically on every front. Quality over quantity and all that.

Demoli

I'd honestly like to see styles completely gone, or incorporated with some weapons.

Like, i feel you can make arial SnS the default and no one would complain, or a severely nerfed bushido for hammer.

Special arts in general are fine imo

Hazu

I think they will announce a new Monster Hunter for Wii U, that will be ported on Nintendo Switch later.

Steiner

Banned
I'm sorry to do this, but if I can hijack this thread for one second - I'm having a really hard time deciding between MH4U and Generations. I'm seeing a lot of you are saying Generations didn't improve enough / innovate enough with its design, but is it still the definitive title?

I'd be playing on a regular 3DS XL, and it'd basically be my first monster hunter. I got like 6 hours into 3 Ultimate on Wii U but didn't stick with it. I felt alone.

DMONKUMA

So if it's not a Switch announcement and not DLC maybe an enhanced addition of the newer game.

If nothing then I have no clue....

R0ckman

I'm sorry to do this, but if I can hijack this thread for one second - I'm having a really hard time deciding between MH4U and Generations. I'm seeing a lot of you are saying Generations didn't improve enough / innovate enough with its design, but is it still the definitive title?

I'd be playing on a regular 3DS XL, and it'd basically be my first monster hunter. I got like 6 hours into 3 Ultimate on Wii U but didn't stick with it. I felt alone.

4U will be harder to get to end game without GAF and even at end G people aren't farming but the most popular monsters.

YAWN

Ask me which Shakespeare novel is best
THIS.

We need new monsters types that change the game like the Leviathans and Brute Wyverns did. I need to feel amazed again, and another samey samey MonHun with HD but the same limitations won't surprise me.

Well said. I think that's why I feel I'm playing the same game over and over again. There's not much mystery left, I've seen all the monsters. Wipe the slate clean (though add past monsters as the series progresses). Make gen 5 of Pokemon the Gen 5 of Monster Hunter. A fresh start.

DrArchon

I'm kinda 50/50 on styles. Aerial only really needs to be a thing in Gen because so many of the old areas have no reasonable way to mount monsters in them (seriously, check out the top part of the marshlands. Not a single place to mount from). Adapt is obviously super busted for a ton of weapons and getting free evasion+ skills is too good for any players that are half-decent and dodging. And Striker is just "weapon + training wheels" if you ignore arts. I still loving playing around with Adapt though, and I'd hate to lose Adapt LS because it's so fun, but if styles didn't come back fro 5 I wouldn't begrudge the choice.

Arts are fine but need serious work. Just compare the selection of arts for something like SnS or LS with a weapon like CB. Then there's all of the non-weapon specific arts that are worthless, plus the Absolute Evasion/Readiness arts that just break the game in half with how good they are. For the first game with arts it's not bad, but if they return I'd expect some big changes.

I'd honestly like to see styles completely gone, or incorporated with some weapons.

Like, i feel you can make arial SnS the default and no one would complain, or a severely nerfed bushido for hammer.

YES. Styles should be more like, an organic way to play, not just to select an option.

I dunno, maybe some specific family of weapons can perform certain attacks, say, the "Katana" Type LongSwords could do more bushido stuff, but the "Scythe" LongsSwords could do more aerial attacks? Or imagine that bigger GreatSwords could not do aerial but got the option to perform more arts. Styles and art integrated in the weapon you choose!

That would give like yet ANOTHER level of variation when choosing a weapon, aside from sharpness, attack, affinity, element, etc. Just like Bows, Bowguns and Gunlance and the Axes tend to have difference in what ammo or explosion type they can use.

Arts are fine but need serious work. Just compare the selection of arts for something like SnS or LS with a weapon like CB. Then there's all of the non-weapon specific arts that are worthless, plus the Absolute Evasion/Readiness arts that just break the game in half with how good they are. For the first game with arts it's not bad, but if they return I'd expect some big changes.

Of course, they always reworked broken things like slime or CB ;p.

YES. Styles should be more like, an organic way to play, not just to select an option.

I dunno, maybe some specific family of weapons can perform certain attacks, say, the "Katana" Type LongSwords could do more bushido stuff, but the "Scythe" LongsSwords could do more aerial attacks? Or imagine that bigger GreatSwords could not do aerial but got the option to perform more arts. Styles and art integrated in the weapon you choose!

That would give like yet ANOTHER level of variation when choosing a weapon, aside from sharpness, attack, affinity, element, etc. Just like Bows, Bowguns and Gunlance and the Axes tend to have difference in what ammo or explosion type they can use.

Oh dude binding styles to the weapons makes perfect sense

You could also bind arts access to armor sets or something

Lots of variations available

Syril

4 was. Gen 3 was shit, imo. Underwater fights were anything but fun.

Underwater fighting wasn't great but Tri is still the one responsible for introducing things like elemental blight, monster stamina, medium knockback, and expanding all the returning weapons' movesets. Also severely reducing/eliminating the issue of monsters using Rathalos as a framework.

4 was. Gen 3 was shit, imo. Underwater fights were anything but fun.

Gen 3 was more than "water combat" tho. It got rid of old animations and hitboxes and the tendency to do Flying Wyverns all over the place.

Leviathans, Brutes, those were very different to what we were used to. Gen3 is also responsible for the current anatomy of the Rath Family, which puts games like MHFrontier to shame with the same old short winged Raths for years now. Haha, short wings.

latest

Oregano

What? No...

The level design in Generations is the worst in the series in a while and easily one of the worst points of the game.

They have like, 1 new area, the rest are all areas from previous Monster Hunters with some slapped-in 2x2 elevated terrains so you can jump and mount. Which is completey unnecessary since aerials are everywhere and mount without it (and more frequently than when someone actually mounts with the elevated terrains).

There's basic to zero level design in this game. They didn't accomodate the new mechanics at all.

I like generations a lot, but level design specifically is not what is good about it.

I meant more that it was apparent playing Generations how much better 4's level design was compared to earlier games because they're all in there. Generations' itself is meh.

The level design in generations is literally the levels from all the previous games

Thats such a weird criticism lol. Not saying it isnt true but you are basically saying level design in MH sucks as a whole

The level design in generations is literally the levels from all the previous games

Thats such a weird criticism lol. Not saying it isnt true but you are basically saying level design in MH sucks as a whole

Ok, Go look at the job they did with the Dunes in MH4U, now THAT'S how you revisit an old map. They reworked it to make it actually vertical and interesting.

They could have reworked old maps for MHGen too, but no, they reused them almost exactly as they were, they even look graphically poor, not really updated to fit the new engine.

And the new areas introduced in MHGen? SUPER FLAT TOO... I am still mad.

To make it fresh they could start with getting rid of Rathian & Rathalos since we've seen them in all colours of the rainbow by now.

Ok, Go look at the job they did with the Dunes in MH4U, now THAT'S how you revisit an old map. They reworked it to make it actually vertical and interesting.

They could have reworked old maps for MHGen too, but no, they reused them almost exactly as they were, they even look graphically poor, not really updated to fit the new engine.

Awww so thats what you meant

Yeah no joke the remake potential was most certainly not realized for sure

Thanks for clarifying

Fandangox

I agree. Adept feels nice when done,but its bonkers its way too good.

But they are going to have to go over my dead body if they take blast dash from me.

Prototype

Guys guys

It's obviously Monster Hunter Musou.
I would play this.

Also at people saying things along the lines of "install base" or whatever... You do realize that MH is the kind of software that moves hardware right? Sure there's an argument to be made for having a larger install base before releasing MH5, but especially in Japan, MH5 is gonna sell well regardless. People will buy the system for the game, more so if the rumors of competitive pricing for the switch are true.

I'm not too hot on the Switch personally. I wasn't hot on the Wii U and even less so with the 3DS, but I got them for the respective MH games. I still think overall the best MH so far has been 3 Ultimate on the Wii U. Playing MH in HD on my TV with a full keyboard plugged in, was godlike. 4 Ultimate was good because of the additions of combat and verticality but felt like a regression in other areas like online modes, lack of naming rooms and other QoL options. Also the 3DS is a total piece of shit anyway.

Whatever Capcom and Nintendo decide to do, I hope that MH5 debuts on the Switch. Whatever they are working on now can come out on the 3DS, but 5 -- the next actually numbered game in the series -- should be a new beginning for the series and turn fans heads- new graphics, new areas, new monsters, new weapons, new mechanics, and it should be huge. The game will sell systems.

Generations wasn't meant to innovate or move the franchise forward by any means. It was an all-star game of all 4 gens. And obviously something to make the wait for 5 less painful.
And yet that game gave us great new monster like Glavenus.

Whatever they are working on now can come out on the 3DS, but 5 -- the next actually numbered game in the series -- should be a new beginning for the series and turn fans heads- new graphics, new areas, new monsters, new weapons, new mechanics, and it should be huge.
This has always been the case besides graphics.

BlizzKrut

Banned
To make it fresh they could start with getting rid of Rathian & Rathalos since we've seen them in all colours of the rainbow by now.

Those are the brand mascots, they aren't getting rid of them, even Tri which had many more new monsters than old had those (and Diablos).

A huge issue for me, and it's immediately apparent when you go back to MH4U, is the camera is zoomed in way too close by default in MHG. Maps with uneven surfaces from MH4/U were a nightmare because of how easily the terrain blocked the super zoomed in camera. I get that sacrifices had to be made to incorporate the new lighting effects system but it wasn't worth the trade off in my opinion.

A huge issue for me, and it's immediately apparent when you go back to MH4U, is the camera is zoomed in way too close by default in MHG. Maps with uneven surfaces from MH4/U were a nightmare because of how easily the terrain blocked the super zoomed in camera. I get that sacrifices had to be made to incorporate the new lighting effects system but it wasn't worth the trade off in my opinion.

HD monster hunter on the Switch is going to be a godsend

They may have to adjust the gameplay to compensate for the innate increase in visibility for the player

MegaMelon

So I'm curious about what you guys think about hunting styles/the skills system.

Personally I hope they don't keep it for MH5. Whilst not a inherently bad system, I think it would be better to have it in a sort of side series of games. Think generations as being between mainline releases so 5, 5g, Gen2, 6, etc.

Top Bottom