• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter: World (PS4/XB1 early 2018, PC later, directed by MH4 lead planner)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mistouze

user-friendly man-cashews
I already do that with Deviljho, but I wouldn't count them as "small fry"(post I was replying to).

Still, the question remains, what would stealth add to MH? Do you just hide for 50mins in a Deviljho quest? Obviously, I assume time limit will be removed in MH World, but it still feels out of place in a game like MH, to me anyway.

In a typical stealth game, the point of stealth isn't simply to hide, but to give the players a massive sense of accomplishment once they reached their goal through stealth, whether a destination or a kill. However, I just can't see how we could sneak-attack-one-hit-kill a Fatalis or something...
Well the trailer showed a sneak attack giving an auto mount so there's that. You could walk past a Jho to get to the Rathalos you're really hunting. There's nothing showing that it will be the main gameplay of the game, it just feels like a new mechanic in it. Sometimes it might be usefull other times not so much. All there is to it to me.

Thoraxes

Wont people get mad they're just wasting your time to get into the fight like that though?
I'd assume so, but reading this thread, it seems like a lot of people wanted open-world gameplay where you tracked the monsters like that. Having a seamless world, to me, implies that the process to do a hunt won't be as fast as we're accustomed to, unless the world part is just for show, and they just auto-teleport you to the monster locations after you fight them once and identify their habitat or something.

The easy-in/easy-out nature of the portable renditions of the series is something tailored to the gameplay loop they've established with the map/hub design of those games.

Kyoufu

I already do that with Deviljho, but I wouldn't count them as "small fry"(post I was replying to).

Still, the question remains, what would stealth add to MH? Do you just hide for 50mins in a Deviljho quest? Obviously, I assume time limit will be removed in MH World, but it still feels out of place in a game like MH, to me anyway.

In a typical stealth game, the point of stealth isn't simply to hide, but to give the players a massive sense of accomplishment once they reached their goal through stealth, whether a destination or a kill. However, I just can't see how we could sneak-attack-one-hit-kill a Fatalis or something...

Imagine you're tracking a monster, but a larger and more powerful monster is in the way. You will need to use stealth to go past it, maybe?

Either that or stealing eggs/resources near monsters in their nests. Who knows.

I just don't understand this complaint. Why is a seamless open-world needed to move the series "into the future"? The game was never built to be open-world in the first place and what's wrong with that exactly?

I'm not exactly a fan of huge open worlds, but for a series that is all about the act of hunting, an open world seems like a waaaay better idea than tiny, segmented areas.

Also, Capcom probably cares significantly less about sales in Japan than you guys do, considering the whole point of this game seems to be to increase its popularity in the west.

PKrockin

Since the trailer pointed out how, without disjointed zones, monsters will chase you far and wide, I can imagine it's a replacement for leaving the zone to sharpen or heal. Duck in the foliage when the monster's not looking to get a moment's reprieve, or to start getting away from a monster you don't feel like fighting at the moment.

Also, fights in MH tend to start by running up to the monster and hitting it until it roars at you and starts attacking. Starting the fight by creeping up and sneak attacking it for some bonus damage sounds like a neat idea.

Lastly, egg quests. They absolutely suck now and they could be improved with the addition of cover to hide from the monster.

There's no reason to assume this is trying to be a stealth game. I see some ways the game could be improved with stealth and if they don't go too far with it, it could be a pretty good addition.

Teran

Capcom just shot themselves in the foot.

I don't know how much the rest of you know about Japanese culture (I'm an expert), but honor and shame are huge parts of it. It's not like it is in America where you can become successful by being an asshole. If you screw someone over in Japan, you bring shame to yourself, and the only way to get rid of that shame is repentance.

What this means is the japanese public, after hearing about this, is not going to want to purchase Monster Hunter World for either system, nor will they purchase any of Capcom's games. This is HUGE. You can laugh all you want, but Capcom has alienated an entire market with this move.

Capcom, publicly apologize and cancel Monster Hunter World for PS4/X1/PC or you can kiss your business goodbye.

Lmao what the hell? You're making the people out to be a bunch of 17th century Samurai. It's just games, Jesus.

Also, I'm really not digging this. So much of what's shown off in the trailer flies in the face of what MH is supposed to be. Still, I guess if they mention whether it's mainline or spinoff will change how I perceive it. Even if the formula change makes for a fun game, I'll massively resent it if it kills off traditional combat etc.

Guess we'll just have to wait and see.

I imagine you'd use stealth the same way people use zoning: it's a chance to heal, sharpen, or whatever. In a MH with no zone transitions, stealth is required if you need a way to get away from a monster (even little ones you want to ignore) since they'll follow you for presumably forever otherwise.

It's not going to be a one shot mechanic on large monsters.

Bishop89

Lmao what the hell? You're making the people out to be a bunch of 17th century Samurai. It's just games, Jesus.

Also, I'm really not digging this. So much of what's shown off in the trailer flies in the face of what MH is supposed to be. Still, I guess if they mention whether it's mainline or spinoff will change how I perceive it. Even if the formula change makes for a fun game, I'll massively resent it if it kills off traditional combat etc.

Guess we'll just have to wait and see.

lol you must be new here

I'm surprised people are hating on this. Trailer looked good, new features looked great. Gameplay looks acceptable. Gathering was shortened is the only negative I see and it isn't a deal breaker for me. Good spin-off in my eyes.

jackal27

Banned
I'm not exactly a fan of huge open worlds, but for a series that is all about the act of hunting, an open world seems like a waaaay better idea than tiny, segmented areas.

Also, Capcom probably cares significantly less about sales in Japan than you guys do, considering the whole point of this game seems to be to increase its popularity in the west.
The game was never really a hardcore hunting sim though. It was about teamwork. Segmented areas allowed for easier player communication, learning where certain monsters were likely to appear, hunt, or rest, allowed monsters to escape, or for easier gathering of resources at certain locations. It made navigating and learning areas easier. I'll be interested to see if they can still keep this in an open world.

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
It seems crazy to me that Nintendo wouldn't be in constant contact with Capcom about their future portable plans.

Square and capcom seem to be the very 1st people to know about the switch, and most likely around the time they were greenlighting DQ11 and monster hunter world.
They just hedged their bets on PS4 and just hope the west will take care of the sales.

Kyoufu

I'm surprised people are hating on this. Trailer looked good, new features looked great. Gameplay looks acceptable. Gathering was shortened is the only negative I see and it isn't a deal breaker for me. Good spin-off in my eyes.

I'm really glad gathering has been shortened. I'm so over spending 10-20 seconds on a single resource node. I'd like to just grab and go on my merry way.

The game was never really a hardcore hunting sim though. It was about teamwork. Segmented areas allowed for easier player communication, learning where certain monsters were likely to appear, hunt, or rest, allowed monsters to escape, or for easier gathering of resources at certain locations. It made navigating and learning areas easier. I'll be interested to see if they can still keep this in an open world.

Well, these were on older hardware with less means of communication.

Estoc

For me, I'm not so much hating, I am happy it's coming to PC(what? Pee Es For? Eks bawks? Eh?), but I just don't want to get my hype up since there is still much to know, and it's one of Capcom's "western appeal" game, so I'll wait until it's out to decide whether I want it.

Shifty

Where's my goofy cartoon meat roasting music Capcom?
Series ruined. Game of the never.

Being serious, I'm cautiously interested. Absolutely fine if lengthy gathering is scrapped completely, they just need to demonstrate that the combat is still good.

Game looks incredible. Day 1 for me. Gonna finally give the MH Series a good try since I didn't enjoy playing them on 3DS. Too uncomfotable.

That said - If XX gets localized on the Switch before then I'll jump on that too. That will satisfy my itch before the real stuff drops in early 2018.

Defuser

In the wake of games like Destiny, Division.etc Co-op games is in the rage and its a good time for capcom to strike while the iron is hot with Monster Hunter especially now that it has a PC version. Now its all lies on Sony to push heavy marketing for it in order the gamble to payoff.

I'm really glad gathering has been shortened. I'm so over spending 10-20 seconds on a single resource node. I'd like to just grab and go on my merry way.

I like that raw material gathering is shortened with that animation but if mining is like that I'ma rage. I love mining with my pickaxes :p

The ideal future for the MH series for me is parallel series of MH:Console that modernizes the formula and MH:portable that keeps the classic gameplay systems intact with small, incremental additions. More MH will (hopefully) never be a bad thing, and it will break up the franchise fatigue I was beginning to suffer at the thought of yet another 3DS game/port (that I'm definitely buying and will play for hundreds of hours on the Switch I'll have to buy for it).

I really hope this turns out well and meets sales expectations so the west will see more of this amazing franchise.

(Also, who gives a shit which is a spinoff? One of my favorite MH games is a spinoff. If the games are both good who even cares?)

PKrockin

The ideal future for the MH series for me is parallel series of MH:Console that modernizes the formula and MH:portable that keeps the classic gameplay systems intact with small, incremental additions. More MH will (hopefully) never be a bad thing, and it will break up the franchise fatigue I was beginning to suffer at the thought of yet another 3DS game/port (that I'm definitely buying and will play for hundreds of hours on the Switch I'll have to buy for it).

I really hope this turns out well and meets sales expectations so the west will see more of this amazing franchise.

(Also, who gives a shit which is a spinoff? One of my favorite MH games is a spinoff. If the games are both good who even cares?)
Because Nintendo and Sony fanboys both want to flaunt that they have the REAL Monster Hunter. Neener neener neener.

RollerMeister

Neo Member
I think it looks amazing, I can't wait to hear more about it!

I still hope XX is released in the west regardless, and that this game retains some of the more whimsical aspects of MH

Runner67

As long as it does not replace classic MH I'm fine with it.

It honestly might become classic MH. It really isn't changing up the formula that much, basically making the arena type fights feel more seamless. Any MH veteran can tell that the gameplay is going to stay similar with what we were shown.

YAWN

Ask me which Shakespeare novel is best
Not too big on what I saw.
Hardcore Monster Hunter fan too. I couldn't care less which console it was on, but his just looked bland. If there's one thing I liked about the current direction of the series it was the use of vibrant colours. Why is everything so brown?
The game play looks like it'll take any semblance of skill out of the picture too.
Lets see what they've got in store for the Switch.

Kinsei

Banned
It honestly might become classic MH. It really isn't changing up the formula that much, basically making the arena type fights feel more seamless. Any MH veteran can tell that the gameplay is going to stay similar with what we were shown.

No they can't. The bowgun changes indicate that this won't play like traditional MH.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom