• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter: World (PS4/XB1 early 2018, PC later, directed by MH4 lead planner)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kinsei

Banned
I'm assuming mounting will work similar to 4th gen games, so perhaps stealth attacks will be similar? Maybe its harder each time you try to sneak up on the monster, perhaps by the time the monster is near death, its almost impossible to sneak up on it unless its sleeping? Totally unsure too.

The stealth attack instantly led to a mount. I think the person you're quoting is right about it being a a special crit that only works once per fight. Maybe it deals extra damage and automatically applies the status effect of the women you're using (if it has one) and guarantees a mount (if it's a jumping attack)?

While they could have shown a lot more, what they have shown makes it pretty clear this is a Monster Hunter game with some tweaks.

qPelEt9.gif

Using your main weapon while mounting a large monster is a lot bigger than a tweak.

?
Don't understand what you mean by this.
Monster Hunter franchise being expanded to more platforms seems like the best deal Capcom could have made for the series to be honest.

Now, it's a pipe dream, but I'd love if this had cross-play

PS4 was the best platform for Monster Hunter until the Switch came out. I think if World came out a year or two ago along with Generations I'd be more excited but as of now I'm just as excited if not more for XX Switch than I am for World.

It sells the most as a portable game in Japan. Sells like shit in the West as a portable game. I think they know it wont break 1 million in Japan. They are testing the western pc/ps4/x1 juggernaut.

Estoc

Isnt that the point tho? That you cant "cheese" it because the world is seamless now? Small fry would chase you and hinder you if you run past and aggro them

Depends on what the "point" is?

My question is whether this suits the style of the game, whether it adds to the fun of the game. It's like adding sewing to Dark Souls, can it make sense? Sure, but is anyone looking for a weaving experience in Dark Souls?

I have no doubt that MH was originally planned to be more stealthy and... hunt-y, but with recent entries, what I see is that Capcom is embracing what the community like about the game: 4p co-op arena vs a giant monster or two.

So I ask, is stealth and hiding from velocipreys really what the game needs to get that boost in the west while not losing the fans from Japan and abroad?

It would have to triple sales in the west to do that.

That's just not realistic on any level.

Agreed.

Hopefully they are (surprisingly) reasonable with western expectations with this first game, let alone at launch, and they should shoot for getting this game to have legs as if reintroducing the series here, so that it can hopefully grab some new die hard fans, and give the series a real shot at a gradual build.

le.phat

Monster Hunter Tri was not a port of anything, and despite being the best selling console MH released during the Wii's most explosive sales period it still barely reached a million.

Again, you're not suggesting anything impossible but you're still saying, "Well, all past evidence of a trend doesn't count anymore."

My bad, i now realise that portable 3rd was the port. Maybe because that game was every bit as constrained as the portable versions, in terms of game systems. And mind you, i loved the games because of those constraints, but the formula has been stretched to its limit in my opinion. So not only was the wii game an extention of the portable experience, it was also held back by the terrrrrrible WII infrastructure.

So i hear you, but i still think that we can't gauge this effort based on past MH games, because this game created with a new framework in mind.

Kinsei

Banned
It's a tweak. Mounting is still the same basic concept, just expanded so location matters.

Mounting used you carving knife since it dealt fixed damage which in turn made it not completely overpowered. This implies that mounting damage now scales with your weapon and as such could be a huge change which could completely throw the balance out of whack if they aren't careful.

I consider changes like that more than tweaks.

Veldin

Did we really need another trailer with just combat and dudes hitting monsters with a few different weapon types? We've had an absolute ton of those over the years. This series has been chugging along since 2004 and they clearly wanted to highlight what was new in this game. We'll see raw gameplay soon.

Mistouze

user-friendly man-cashews
So I ask, is stealth and hiding from velocipreys really what the game needs to get that boost in the west while not losing the fans from Japan and abroad?
Replace the Velociprey by a Tigrex or a Deviljho and it makes way more sense.

I'll play this on PC, and hopefully the next real Monster Hunter on the Switch. Either way, I hope this game isn't what to expect for all the MH games.

It sells the most as a portable game in Japan. Sells like shit in the West as a portable game. I think they know it wont break 1 million in Japan. They are testing the western pc/ps4/x1 juggernaut.

MH4U is literally one of the top 10 bestselling japanese thirdparty games this entire generation* and was a top 5 game not too long ago.
1.5 million is nothing to sneeze at and not "selling like shit".

*sales in EU+US

TrutaS

Now I got a Switch, this game moves to a non-portable environment. This game screams portability, I will not take the time to play this on PS4. Looks ok, though. Not port-begging, I've got both consoles.

Rncewind

Depends on what the "point" is?

My question is whether this suits the style of the game, whether it adds to the fun of the game. It's like adding sewing to Dark Souls, can it make sense? Sure, but is anyone looking for a weaving experience in Dark Souls?

not reaching here at all, continue pls. So fitting

I have no doubt that MH was originally planned to be more stealthy and... hunt-y, but with recent entries, what I see is that Capcom is embracing what the community like about the game: 4p co-op arena vs a giant monster or two.

Maybe, at least a fresh take on the game that is thematicly fitting. Gonna try stuff out and the concept sounds fun to me.

Also capcom does whatever capcom wants, at least i dont remember asking capcom to make the games easier which they did

Now I got a Switch, this game moves to a non-portable environment. This game screams portability, I will not take the time to play this on PS4. Looks ok, though. Not port-begging, I've got both consoles.

It also screams "thank god I don't have to pay an online fee to keep playing Monster Hunter since it'll be on PC." I say this as someone who pays for PS+ and will pay Nintendo's fee in the future, but I know people who refuse to pay for subscriptions will be happy about that.

The supposed drama (which I have no idea as to the veracity of, given how internet rumors love their corporate drama) is that Capcom saw the Wii U and 3DS faltering, decided to hedge their bets on a console game that would appeal more to the West, and then got blindsided when the 3DS games not only sold very well, but even became the best selling Western MH games, and then Nintendo followed up the Wii U with a hybrid system that's actually started out quite successfully.

get a laptop. Its what I'm gonna do.

The stealth attack instantly led to a mount. I think the person you're quoting is right about it being a a special crit that only works once per fight. Maybe it deals extra damage and automatically applies the status effect of the women you're using (if it has one) and guarantees a mount (if it's a jumping attack)?

Using your main weapon while mounting a large monster is a lot bigger than a tweak.

the 3rd person shooter mechanics with the guns looking wild and inaccurate aside,

the game does seem like MH. But the actual structure of the game loop is way up in the air.

hopefully we can use stealth to relax from the monsters.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Finally a seamless open world, welcome to ten years ago Capcop. But this looks pretty cool I guess!

EDIT: Not gonna correct my spelling of Capcop.

This either going to backfire in Japan or will catch fire. Well, it might do just okay too, but I feel more confident in either of the first scenarios.

Need to see way more of this also.

membran

I'm unhealthily hyped at this point. This is probably going to be a double dip for me. Xbox One, then PC. Or maybe I use it as an excuse to finally get a PS4. :)

Mistouze

user-friendly man-cashews
Why would you hide from them since boss monsters in this game attack each other? Dragging Jho to a target sounds like it would help you.
If you're trying to set up a trap in the zone or if those monsters aren't your target in that particular hunt. Options are good, I don't want a MH game with a lot of stealth but if a little of it can open up ways to interact with monsters I'm not adverse to it.

All I'm saying is that the trailer didn't show much, gameplay demos will show us the whole gameplay loop the game offers, at that point we'll be able to determine if it's "not MH enough" or if it looks promising.

The supposed drama (which I have no idea as to the veracity of, given how internet rumors love their corporate drama) is that Capcom saw the Wii U and 3DS faltering, decided to hedge their bets on a console game that would appeal more to the West, and then got blindsided when the 3DS games not only sold very well, but even became the best selling Western MH games, and then Nintendo followed up the Wii U with a hybrid system that's actually started out quite successfully.

IL1sMUfQVRNFC.webp

Thoraxes

but how does progression and the game loop work now then if we're not operating in a quest structure? Monhun isnt an rpg.

I'm so confused.

Who knows. With a seamless world, seemingly all that could be thrown out.

To just speculate, maybe there could be a hub where you get a quest from a guild waifu, then it spawns the large monster into the world, and you use your detective vision to find it or follow a waypoint on a minimap. Since there are no more enclosed maps and since you have to track the monsters now, you have to manually travel to where you need to go and look for clues instead of just jumping into a map and going straight to the encounter. Or maybe they make designated landing zones or something, but you still have to hoof it and go through the whole process to find a monster.

Who knows how they'll organize crafting materials from gathering, or if gathering has been grossly simplified to accommodate the world design changes, sinc eit won't be gated by hunter rank anymore.

It seems like it's going to mess up a lot of the old systems, so i'd just assume a lot of that is being simplified or thrown out to accommodate the formula change, outside of the rank/collection of monster parts for crafting.

jackal27

Banned
Finally a seamless open world, welcome to ten years ago Capcop. But this looks pretty cool I guess!

EDIT: Not gonna correct my spelling of Capcop.
I just don't understand this complaint. Why is a seamless open-world needed to move the series "into the future"? The game was never built to be open-world in the first place and what's wrong with that exactly?

If MHW was being planned back in 2013 or so like ShockingAlberto said, I doubt Nintendo would have had Switch as we know it crystallised back then. Tegra X1 didn't get released until 2015.

They didn't, which is why Capcom went forward with MH World's development on hardware that was actually tangible.

It was better than sitting on their asses waiting for Nintendo to announce a successor to Wii U or 3DS.

_Clash_

we still haven't seen moment to moment combat have we?

I think if it's an evolution of 4 fair to say this was once Monster Hunter 5

Toxi

Banned
Mounting used you carving knife since it dealt fixed damage which in turn made it not completely overpowered. This implies that mounting damage now scales with your weapon and as such could be a huge change which could completely throw the balance out of whack if they aren't careful.

I consider changes like that more than tweaks.
Mounting was hilariously cheesy in 4U.

If the mount damage scales with your weapon damage instead of being fixed, I'd assume the amount of damage to successfully topple the monster will just scale accordingly with rank. Or it might still be fixed and the change is just cosmetic.

Whatever the case, it's a bit early to be worrying about balance.

I'm unhealthily hyped at this point. This is probably going to be a double dip for me. Xbox One, then PC. Or maybe I use it as an excuse to finally get a PS4. :)

I'll be double-dipping on PS4 (to play with my cousin) + PC. I also want this to succeed, so I don't mind paying twice.

Who knows. With a seamless world, seemingly all that could be thrown out.

To just speculate, maybe there could be a hub where you get a quest from a guild waifu, then it spawns the large monster into the world, and you use your detective vision to find it or follow a waypoint on a minimap. Since there are no more enclosed maps and since you have to track the monsters now, you have to manually travel to where you need to go and look for clues instead of just jumping into a map and going straight to the encounter. Or maybe they make designated landing zones or something, but you still have to hoof it and go through the whole process to find a monster.

Who knows how they'll organize crafting materials from gathering, or if gathering has been grossly simplified to accommodate the world design changes, sinc eit won't be gated by hunter rank anymore.

Wont people get mad they're just wasting your time to get into the fight like that though?

Inviusx

I'm so happy for Capcom, I didn't think they had it in them to leave the safety of the 3DS. Thanks for proving me wrong.

wmlk

OK, so this looks surprisingly really good here.

Skeptics were assuming QTEs for a more casual audience? Where did that even stem from? I don't see anything resembling QTEs here. It's typical Monster Hunter but in high fidelity, and with a few fun twists.

I feel it's time for a home console monster hunter. After the success of Destiny and new games in the genre (the division, wildlands, etc) if they can create a game with a generous co-op experience, character progression with rpg elements and a deep loot structure, this game could find quite a bit of success.

The gameplay is there, the base structure from the former games too, if they can expand on that creating a MMO lite game keeping quality high, it could become much bigger in the west.

Hope it turns out well.

They didn't, which is why Capcom went forward with MH World's development on hardware that was actuall tangible.

It was better than sitting on their assessment waiting for Nintendo to announce a successor to Wii U or 3DS.

Yeah, the Wii U landscape in 2013 was a nightmare and 3DS, while healthier, likely wasn't catching on globally in a way Capcom had hoped when they originally started working on MH for that platform years earlier.

RIP ARK Monster Hunter Mod....

NEVER FORGET

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TbrrGvsDJ3s

so is this skyrim or Evolv?

Lol those were dead regardless of what platform MH ended up on.
code vein might do well

°°ToMmY°°;240474612 said:
I feel it's time for a home console monster hunter. After the success of Destiny and new games in the genre (the division, wildlands, etc) if they can create a game with a generous co-op experience, character progression with rpg elements and a deep loot structure, this game could find quite a bit of success.

The gameplay is there, the base structure from the former games too, if they can expand on that creating a MMO lite game keeping quality high, it could become much bigger in the west.

Hope it turns out well.

But it might flop out like for honor. which would be bad

Estoc

Replace the Velociprey by a Tigrex or a Deviljho and it makes way more sense.

I already do that with Deviljho, but I wouldn't count them as "small fry"(post I was replying to).

Still, the question remains, what would stealth add to MH? Do you just hide for 50mins in a Deviljho quest? Obviously, I assume time limit will be removed in MH World, but it still feels out of place in a game like MH, to me anyway.

In a typical stealth game, the point of stealth isn't simply to hide, but to give the players a massive sense of accomplishment once they reached their goal through stealth, whether a destination or a kill. However, I just can't see how we could sneak-attack-one-hit-kill a Fatalis or something...

Maybe, at least a fresh take on the game that is thematicly fitting. Gonna try stuff out and the concept sounds fun to me.

Also capcom does whatever capcom wants, at least i dont remember asking capcom to make the games easier which they did

Well yes, Capcom can always try things out, but why do I have to be happy for that and not feel a little skeptical about the change? I don't see how "fresh take" is something worth praising if it doesn't seem to fit what I want from the series, if new for the sake of new is all it needs to make a game good then Star Fox Zero's reception would not have been what it is...

You are free to be hype for the new game, but I am going to keep my skepticism until it's out. Capcom doesn't give me confidence these days.

Toxi

Banned
I already do that with Deviljho, but I wouldn't count them as "small fry"(post I was replying to).

Still, the question remains, what would stealth add to MH? Do you just hide for 50mins in a Deviljho quest? Obviously, I assume time limit will be removed in MH World, but it still feels out of place in a game like MH, to me anyway.

In a typical stealth game, the point of stealth isn't simply to hide, but to give the players a massive sense of accomplishment once they reached their goal through stealth, whether a destination or a kill. However, I just can't see how we could sneak-attack-one-hit-kill a Fatalis or something...
Easy way to make stealth matter: Stealth attack surprises the monster and has a chance of making it drop a rare shiny. Think surprising Gargwas to make them lay eggs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom