• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter World (XB1/PS4, PC later, Early 2018) E3 info [Up: Effectively MH5]

Hoodbury

Can't wait for this. I'll be a bit rusty as I haven't played since the Wii-U Tri game but man I can't wait. I remember some hunts I played with some people in this thread even in that game, Ridley and Mupod.

You had like 0.2 seconds of invincibility. I just don't think that's gonna cut it when it's so easy to have twice as much in other, similar games.

It's fine the way it is, 0.2 second of invincibility is enough to evade a lot of fast-moving hitboxes like tail whips, hipchecks, projectiles/lasers and so on.

At 30 frames per second:
  • No Evasion skill = 6 invincibility frames (0.200 second)
  • Evasion +1 = 10 frames (0.333 second)
  • Evasion +2 = 12 frames (0.400 s)
  • Evasion +3 = 18 frames (0.600 s)

CAPCOM already added an "easy mode" with the Adept style in Monster Hunter X / Generations, which roughly gives Evasion +2 invincibility frames while also completely negating the rest of the attack in case the hitbox is persistent.

gconsole

They can't even sell 3 million copies of Resident Evil. What makes you think this brand (which draw was portability in the first place) will suddenly pull that? Sales than not even horizon, as pushed as it was, has been able to pull?

This game will be lucky if it sells over 300k first month in the US. I don't see how this isn't a super risky gamble for Capcom.

RE sold less because of the shift in direction

Ridley327

It sounds more like you are free to hunt other monsters after a quest is completed. I bet you'll still only be able to accept one quest at a time.

In a way, this seems like the logical end game for the Moga Woods feature from 3/3U.

For those that don't know, 3/3U allowed you to do free hunts without any real objectives, timers or major failure conditions in a renamed version of the Deserted Island area called Moga Woods. You could get a "forecast" in the village on what monsters are expected to show up that day, though the really fun part is when you do a run and wind up with several monsters, some of which the forecast wouldn't predict. 3U was especially fun in that regard, since you could get monsters that wouldn't normally be found in an area like that, such as Diablos.

Tom_Cody

Huge fan of the series and saw the single player theatre demo at E3. I came away feeling this is definitely a traditional Monster Hunter made "next-gen". Here are my notes:

+ Health and stamina bars not always visible
+ Use items at near full movement speed
+ Can lock on to monsters and quick turn camera like 3DS
+ Scout flies replace paintballs and show both trail and location
+ you activate scout flies by finding residue from a monster and taking samples, seems you can get enough to make it permanently on
+ Minimap can zoom to zone
+ Map still segregated into numbered zones, more interconnected, and no loading between them. But moving between zones is generally via narrow corridors
+ Slingshot used a lot for luring monsters
+ Traps and flash bombs built into environment, maybe still consumables available?
+ Some kind of paralysis inducing consumable knife
+ Monsters have a lot of cool animations for fighting each other, picking each other up
+ Mounting works like 4U, but you can move between mount spots. Also some way of eventually doing an attack
+ Great Sword moveset looks the same, but the effects for charge were much less intense audiovisually
+ Cutting tail looks hilariously exactly the same
+ Can use hookshot thing to repel down surfaces
+ Two new large monsters - the TRex and the frog thing
+ frog thing regurgitated some food it ate for little monsters to enjoy
+ had some way of summoning the flying monster to take you to base camp at seemingly any time
+ change weapons and armour at base camp
+ had a Palico buddy complete with its own weapon armour
+ HBG looked like it could always move slowly while shooting
+ HBG machine gun thing seemed like a special mode, depleted a meter
+ HBG had many ammo types and traditional ammo switching mechanics
+ sharpness meter was visible but never sharpened
+ gathering plants was instant with no animation
+ carving was slow
+ the demo had really aggressive tutorializing with the quest giver talking to you throughout and her head popping up on the right of the screen
Thanks for the impressions!

Kinsei

Banned
In a way, this seems like the logical end game for the Moga Woods feature from 3/3U.

For those that don't know, 3/3U allowed you to do free hunts without any real objectives, timers or major failure conditions in a renamed version of the Deserted Island area called Moga Woods. You could get a "forecast" in the village on what monsters are expected to show up that day, though the really fun part is when you do a run and wind up with several monsters, some of which the forecast wouldn't predict. 3U was especially fun in that regard, since you could get monsters that wouldn't normally be found in an area like that, such as Diablos.

It's like a mix of that and the Everwood from MH4.

I hated both of them.

Looked like recenter, but couldn't tell for sure.

Did anyone claw? The best thing about being able to play this with the DS4 is the ability to properly claw again.

aBarreras

that was exclusive to 3/3U? maan, it was freaking great

Mupod

throughout and her head popping up on the right of the screen

very curious about the HBG, but I dunno how much you saw or how familiar you are with the weapon so this might be too much to ask. Can you go into any more detail about differences with the aiming mechanics or the way it fires? As much as I love bowguns the way they play is very...unique. I probably wouldn't miss aim controls that feel like moving around a digital d-pad.

Moving while shooting seems very overpowered so I'm guessing either monsters are hyper aggressive or they really changed up the way bowguns play. I guess I'd be happy as long as pierce ammo still works the same way.

Yes exactly what I'm thinking too. Moga Woods mode was a lot of fun in 3/3u, in 4u they changed it into that more linear free hunt mode.

World is gonna be like Moga Woods mode but you can finish your quests there too. I imagine you will be able to get forecasts before you go out on a hunt.

They can't even sell 3 million copies of Resident Evil. What makes you think this brand (which draw was portability in the first place) will suddenly pull that? Sales than not even horizon, as pushed as it was, has been able to pull?

This game will be lucky if it sells over 300k first month in the US. I don't see how this isn't a super risky gamble for Capcom.

?

Horizon sold over 3.4 million in about two months. That game has been insanely successful for being a SP only new IP.

J

Jpop

Unconfirmed Member
It is popular because it is Monster Hunter not because Nintendo publish it ....

Capcom did nothing to push MH in the West. Nintendo made it into a successful franchise outside of Japan.

thefil

very curious about the HBG, but I dunno how much you saw or how familiar you are with the weapon so this might be too much to ask. Can you go into any more detail about differences with the aiming mechanics or the way it fires? As much as I love bowguns the way they play is very...unique. I probably wouldn't miss aim controls that feel like moving around a digital d-pad.

Moving while shooting seems very overpowered so I'm guessing either monsters are hyper aggressive or they really changed up the way bowguns play. I guess I'd be happy as long as pierce ammo still works the same way.

Unfortunately I've used bowguns for like 1 hour of my 1000+ hours played.

BadWolf

Huge fan of the series and saw the single player theatre demo at E3. I came away feeling this is definitely a traditional Monster Hunter made "next-gen". Here are my notes:

+ you activate scout flies by finding residue from a monster and taking samples, seems you can get enough to make it permanently on
+ Map still segregated into numbered zones, more interconnected, and no loading between them. But moving between zones is generally via narrow corridors
+ Traps and flash bombs built into environment, maybe still consumables available?
+ Monsters have a lot of cool animations for fighting each other, picking each other up
+ Mounting works like 4U, but you can move between mount spots. Also some way of eventually doing an attack
+ Great Sword moveset looks the same, but the effects for charge were much less intense audiovisually
+ had some way of summoning the flying monster to take you to base camp at seemingly any time
+ carving was slow
+ the demo had really aggressive tutorializing with the quest giver talking to you throughout and her head popping up on the right of the screen

Thank you!

The more I read about it the more I can't wait for it.

There were also lots of people who derailed a XX announcement thread with a rumor to talk about MH5 (to the point mods had to step in and attempt to discourage rumor talk) when there was little hint of it being true besides the rumor and now that MH5/World is confirmed, people that are excited about their PS4 Monster Hunter want people to stop talking about the rumor or the Switch because it's ruining their excitement, even though MH5's confirmation makes it another detail the rumors got right, possibly confirming other unknown details.

You are right about it being a case of confirmation bias.

See the difference between MH PS4 pre this announcement is that Capcom themselves clearly hinted at it. Numerous people tore that rumour apart.

Nah. If the rumour wasn't filled with incorrect statements it may be a talking point, but that ain't the case:

1) MH cross-cross -> wrong name
2) MH5 -> wrong name
3) Open world -> incorrect
4) Combat is being changed to be more acceptable to the West -> incorrect
5) No timer/missions -> correct
6) Some weapons have been completely dropped -> incorrect, all 14 weapons are returning
7) Online MP, no local -> correct
8) PS4/PC -> incorrect
9) MHW is not being worked on by the original team -> incorrect

The only correct details were two gameplay changes, something any fan could speculate on. No local is a no brainer if it was on a home console.

In comparison, the rumour gets everything from product names, gameplay aspects, SKUs and dev team in charge wrong. The only reason some continue to place credence in this 4chan rumour, whose wrong aspects evidently outweigh any minor correctly guessed points, is simply due to confirmation bias: you want to believe its true.

But by all means continue holding on to it while everyone has moved on to real accountable info.

Fukuzatsu

I think the opposite, it will tank in Japan (still do a million but not 3DS-PSP numbers) but will make up for it in the west with 5-6 million across 3 platforms

If anything less than a million on PS4 is 'tanking', then literally every title except perhaps FFXV has tanked. DQ's performance may be a big sign for how this will do (Japan cow on home console), but I think 700,000~850,000 is realistic.

+ moving between zones is generally via narrow corridors
+ carving was slow

Some of these changes I don't like. I hope the lock on isn't anything like focusing the camera to a monster. And hope that you can still capture monsters alive.

Looked like recenter, but couldn't tell for sure.

I see, I hope so, thank you very much.

I wish they would release a public demo. That way we could make our own impressions about what is different, and how much, as well as generating even more hype and convincing the purists that they've not "ruined the series".

HeeHo

It's fine the way it is, 0.2 second of invincibility is enough to evade a lot of fast-moving hitboxes like tail whips, hipchecks, projectiles/lasers and so on.

At 30 frames per second:
  • No Evasion skill = 6 invincibility frames (0.200 second)
  • Evasion +1 = 10 frames (0.333 second)
  • Evasion +2 = 12 frames (0.400 s)
  • Evasion +3 = 18 frames (0.600 s)

CAPCOM already added an "easy mode" with the Adept style in Monster Hunter X / Generations, which roughly gives Evasion +2 invincibility frames while also completely negating the rest of the attack in case the hitbox is persistent.

Is the bolded really true? I love playing adept for the little rodeo run thing after, I was under the impression that it only activated after you did a successful dodge. Now that I think about it, it is pretty damn easy to activate though.

Also, if you're playing adept, and you have Evasion +1 or +2 is it pretty much useless? or in the case of +2, just a small gain?

ReaperXL7

I cannot wait for this, haven't really played a monster hunter game since the PS2 game because I never cared about handhelds enough to invest. This looks amazing though and is what I hoped capcom would for a long time.

I hope this comes with G-Rank. Honestly, I've never actually made it to G-Rank in any Monster Hunter game. I think HR2 was the highest, but still. I think I'll be hooked long enough on this one to make it there. It's not that I dislike the game, but I just don't like playing MH on 3DS, and I'm already spoiled by the improvements of MH4U it's hard to go back to MH3U on WiiU. I also assume we'll still have at least 1000 hours of content in Worlds. Looks like it will be that way, especially since World had been in developement for 4 years. Literally since MH4 came out. Also, I hope it'll be in 4K on the Pro/OneX. I can tell this game is going to look gorgeous in that res!

Mupod

Unfortunately I've used bowguns for like 1 hour of my 1000+ hours played.

based on the amount of information out there, that's probably 1 hour more than everyone else who saw that demo.

if the normal mechanics of MH are obtuse then bowguns and ammo are 'HERE BE DRAGONS'. I'm hoping they don't get changed into something unrecognizable, but if they still play like bowguns then Capcom really needs some proper in-game documentation on them if not an actual tutorial.

Some of these changes I don't. I hope the lock on isn't anything like focusing the camera to a monster. And hope that you can still capture monsters alive.

er, have you played the 3DS entries? There's a quick camera turn in those, it just instantly makes the camera face the monster. I only use it with bowguns (where it is incredibly useful)

Raide

+ carving was slow

Thanks for taking time to type this up. Sounds great.

Not sure if its be posted or not but currently watching this.

Arekkz

A few new bits of gameplay that I had not seen.

It is popular because it is Monster Hunter not because Nintendo publish it ....
While I don't agree with some of these people bitching about being "betrayed" or Capcom owing Nintendo anything, Monster Hunter growing significantly in the West IS most certainly because of Nintendo taking the reigns on marketing and doing campaigns that Capcom didn't have the manpower to do. That said, as of right now Monster Hunter has carved out enough of a niche following in the West that it doesn't need Nintendo or Sony to do mass marketing campaign for them.

based on the amount of information out there, that's probably 1 hour more than everyone else who saw that demo.

if the normal mechanics of MH are obtuse then bowguns and ammo are 'HERE BE DRAGONS'. I'm hoping they don't get changed into something unrecognizable, but if they still play like bowguns then Capcom really needs some proper in-game documentation on them if not an actual tutorial.

er, have you played the 3DS entries? There's a quick camera turn in those, it just instantly makes the camera face the monster. I only use it with bowguns (where it is incredibly useful)

When i mean lock on, i mean something like dark souls.

Mafro

SHOCKED that 4chan rumour was mostly a load of shit and the correct stuff could just easily be lucky guesses that anyone could come out with.

R0ckman

I see, I hope so, thank you very much.

I wish they would release a public demo. That way we could make our own impressions about what is different, and how much, as well as generating even more hype and convincing the purists that they've not "ruined the series".

I dont think it would matter if it wasn't, since you can target parts of the monster to jump on and attack, weakening breakable parts.

Rappy

See the difference between MH PS4 pre this announcement is that Capcom themselves clearly hinted at it. Numerous people tore that rumour apart.

Nah. If the rumour wasn't filled with incorrect statements it may be a talking point, but that ain't the case:

But by all means continue holding on to it while everyone has moved on to real accountable info.
The hell? Most of these are correct or come pretty close to correct peppered with some bias/negativity. I don't see how people can say that it isn't.

1) Cross Cross is literally/visually XX - correct
2) They already said they were thinking of the title MH5 but decided to go with World - correct
3) No areas separated with transition screens can be construed as open world - correct
4) Subjectivity/bias comes into play here, but some additions and changes can be construed as more acceptable to the West - correct
5) no timer/missions - correct
6) Not having all weapons yet - possibly correct at the time, this game is still in development and we have not seen all the weapons yet
7) Online MP only - correct
8) Rumor said PS4, PC, AND Xbox but NOT Switch- correct

Here's a thread with the posted rumor(s): http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1381389

Note: I'm buying World on PC and bitter about no XX on Switch

They've flat out deconfirmed it.
Provide some sources when people ask for confirmations?

well fuck this shit

I agree, but was anyone expecting otherwise?

Just a reminder, the MH World community manager is answering questions off and on since yesterday. https://twitter.com/SocksyBear

Has a few responses to the cross-play question.

6) Not having all weapons yet - possibly correct at the time, this game is still in development and we have not seen all the weapons yet

We already have confirmation that all weapon types are returning.

The hell? Most of these are correct or come pretty close to correct peppered with some bias/negativity. I don't see how people can say that it isn't.

2) They already said they were thinking of the title MH5 but decided to go with World - correct
3) No areas separated with transition screens can be construed as open world - correct
4) Subjectivity/bias comes into play here, but some additions and changes can be construed as more acceptable to the West - correct

He's a thread with the posted rumor(s): http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1381389

Bullshit. You're making excuses for parts where the "leak" was incorrect.

This is funny. Seeing as some Nintendo fans still like to hold onto this rumour, I think its needed to completely expose it:

1) MH cross-cross -> wrong name
2) MH5 -> wrong name
3) Open world -> incorrect
4) Combat is being changed to be more acceptable to the West -> incorrect
5) No timer/missions -> correct
6) Some weapons have been completely dropped -> incorrect, all 14 weapons are returning
7) Online MP, no local -> correct
8) PS4/PC -> incorrect
9) MHW is not being worked on by the original team -> incorrect

The only correct details were two gameplay changes, something any fan could speculate on. No local is a no brainer if it was on a home console.

In comparison, the rumour gets everything from product names, gameplay aspects, SKUs and dev team in charge wrong. The only reason some continue to place credence in this 4chan rumour, whose wrong aspects evidently outweigh any minor correctly guessed points, is simply due to confirmation bias: you want to believe its true.

Rappy

Bullshit. You're making excuses for parts where the "leak" was incorrect.
I read that post....my post was directly quoting that person. Excuses? I even said even if they aren't exact they are either pretty close or the info has some subjectivity to it.

Explain to me how they got 1 and 2 wrong.

Loris146

Here's a thread with the posted rumor(s): http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1381389

Note: I'm buying World on PC and bitter about no XX on Switch

Provide some sources when people ask for confirmations?

Lol.

Top Bottom