• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mortal Kombat X - CG trailer (PC/360/XB1/PS3/PS4, 2015, E3 Debut, Box Art, Info, UE3)

stn

I hope the soundtrack isn't rap. I want some fast-paced techno and Oriental-ish tunes. Or whatever they had going on with the MK1 movie.

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
Injustice has the best animations of any NRS game, they really should build up on this. MK9 is clunky as fuck compared to Injustice.

I almost forgot how much internet people hate rap, lol. Just because you don't like something doesn't make it horrible. Whether you like or dislike the dudes lyrics or flow is one thing, but outright horrible? Lol. I thought the music itself was nice, but they could have left out Wiz rapping over it.

vg260

Awesome trailer yet the main consensus is "get that hip hop out my game..."

Never change GAF.

What's wrong with that? Seems a lot of people think it's not a good song and/or doesn't fit. There's not a lot there to talk about with so little info in the trailer.

I know I'm in the minority but I felt that the music matched the trailer. I'm hyped for it. I just wished it wasn't joining the overly crowded 2015 roster.

Mortal Kombat X has been officially announced for a 2015 release with a new trailer showing off an incredibly atmospheric battle between the iconic Scorpion and Sub-Zero.

The trailer, which you can see below, looks absolutely incredible and appears to be made almost entirely from gameplay footage.

IGN seems to think it's gameplay footage trailer.

Sn4ke_911

LOL IGN

The trailer, which you can see below, looks absolutely incredible and appears to be made almost entirely from gameplay footage.

No freaking way is this GAMEPLAY FOOTAGE, i mean what the fuck?

Sayad

- Running is back in?!!
- Supers/EX moves
- Stupid generic jumping kick is back
- Environment destruction(something like KI)
- Character specific or stage weapons
- Stage intractables
- XRys are back
- Scorpion's fire-y attacks make me think something similar to I:GAU's traits
- (Shocking!)Fatalities are back

Shpeshal Nick

aka Collingwood
Surprised people think this might be Xbox exclusive. They have Killer instinct as an exclusive fighter and it stellar. They'll also have this, Street Fighter, Tekken and Virtua Fighter as multiplats.

Why would they lock down MK? Seems pointless.

Kouichi

God damn, Scorpion looks sick. Can't wait to see some actual gameplay.

Also, that is totally CG guys. Don't fool yourselves.

Siegcram

I almost forgot how much internet people hate rap, lol. Just because you don't like something doesn't make it horrible. Whether you like or dislike the dudes lyrics or flow is one thing, but outright horrible? Lol. I thought the music itself was nice, but they could have left out Wiz rapping over it.
Well, that's kind of what everyone's saying, isn't it?

Rap is fine, but it a) doesn't fit the actual trailer and b) Khalifa sucks ass.
Either keep it instrumental or get Tech9 or Necro in there.

MK9 was pretty much the only fighting game to stay on NPD charts months after release. Even Injustice stayed for a long time on the charts. There's no other fighting game out there that can rival it in terms of sales and popularity, not even Street Fighter. MK is one of the very few and rare evergreen titles out there.

Well, actually Tekken series is #1 with 42 million sold. http://www.joystiq.com/2013/09/19/tekken-revolution-downloaded-2-million-times-franchise-to-date/

MK was at 30 million as of 2012 I believe. But that's impressive considering it has zero presence in Asia.

Aesthet1c

its pretty possible

if The Order can look as good as it does, i think a 2D Fighting game can look like this

But this isn't a current gen exclusive. It's already known that this will be on PS3 and 360, and there is no way those will be capable of this.

Also, I was secretly hoping they would go back to live action actors. Even though that would never happen, it would have been fun to see in HD.

Miles X

I'm more worried it's PS4 exclusive ... tbh just keep it multiplatform to keep everyone happy!!!

Also, AMAZING.

Long time Mortal Kombat fan here

Cudder

Even their CG trailers have clunky animations.
leuhkikp8aiq.gif

It looked weird didn't it? The animation just seems off.

Sn4ke_911

Description from the video makes me think it isn't cross-gen.

Fueled by next-gen technology, Mortal Kombat X combines unparalleled, cinematic presentation with dynamic gameplay to create an unprecedented Kombat experience.

shandy706

Animation is incredibly funky/weird, but I'm excited for a new MK. Love the series.

I'm not sure what it is in that trailer...is it their legs? I feel like their legs are too stubby.

Shpeshal Nick

aka Collingwood
Assuming its legit, it was already confirmed by a poster in here that worked on the trailer that it's CGI. Always seemed like a concept trailer/target to me.

alstein

Surprised people think this might be Xbox exclusive. They have Killer instinct as an exclusive fighter and it stellar. They'll also have this, Street Fighter, Tekken and Virtua Fighter as multiplats.

Why would they lock down MK? Seems pointless.

Lock down MK and you lock down most of the FGC and Evo.

Nzyme32

If you look at the youtube video, I think parts of it might be in game as there are cuts that have a much poorer lighting quality than the rest of it.

Eg - 1:18 - 1:25 sees a drop in quality which I'm tempted to say could be in game

edit - I could be completely wrong though

BiggNife

It is CG, I worked on it.

Can this end the discussion?

How do any of us know that you actually work at NetherRealm?

I mean, I strongly think it's CG, but I don't think some random person with no credentials claiming he worked on it is really a definitive end to this argument.

The CGI vs Gameplay debate reminds me of that CGI Dishonored trailer that was actually quite representative of the gameplay, just with a visual upgrade.

There's things in this trailer that look a lot like an actual game. But then there's all the different camera perspectives flipping around that undermine that.

Or at least, I bloody hope so. If the camera moves in like that every time someone does a special move it'll be distracting and disruptive.

Still, the visuals argument is important because if Netherrealm have created an engine that looks nearly that good, you can count on them using the same engine for story cutscenes, something I found worked really well in MK9 and to a lesser extent Injustice.

Lastly, with the branches and sword it seems environmental hazards are back. I'm fine with that so long as they are blockable.

Compbros

SF4 vanilla did about as well I believe, SC4 sold over 1 mil I believe pre-SF4 (though Soul Calibur franchise is in a poor state right now), and Smash.

MK9 was close to SFIV vanilla but it only had a year, I'm sure lifetime sales SFIV has sold more since it's had 4 different retail releases.

Top Bottom