• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mortal Kombat X DF Face-Off (PS4/XBO/PC)

Yudoken

Playing this game on SLI 970's in 4K downsampled to 1080p on my tv with everthing max out and it's discusting how bad the 30fps stuff is.
Also, devs should stop putting extremely bad and low quality rendered cutscenes in their games, videos as cutscenes are bad. The cutscenes are already looking way worse than the actual fights, this could've been avoided.

RedFury

Is this DF? This reads completey different than their other articles, who's the author? I liked the objective presentation without the bullshit. If it Leadbetter bravo sir.

Skyzard

Banned
Why is there black crush on PC?
I mean...what the fuck.
Think it's their monitor? Still waiting for the screenshots to load. PC vs PS4 video links to The Lego Movie.
Correct link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W5nIVstZsAs

Does it have a decent list of AA options on PC btw?
Whoops, nope:
Curiously, anti-aliasing is limited to either FXAA or nothing at all,
I think another poster mentioned this to me in the OT actually, but he said bumping resolution to 1440p made it decent.

Yet to play my copy, back in a few days to check it and GTAV out.

Caayn

Is this DF? This reads completey different than their other articles, who's the author? I liked the objective presentation without the bullshit. If it Leadbetter bravo sir.
It's written by David Bierton, DF articles state the author above the actual article and just below the share buttons under the banner image ;)

Perhaps its the artwork in the game. Sometimes a slight res drop or non native can be very noticeable but another game can appear negligible for some people. Certainly horizontal scaling has been presented as offering better results by DF but its still missing ~600k pixels no matter how you shake it.

omonimo

Banned
DF were unclear how *much* MSAA was being used with The Order. That's all.

And it just so happens that FXAA is the most commonly used AA solution on consoles.

Because regardless of the lack of gameplay implications, changing from 60fps to 30fps and back can be jarring.
Well to be honest some DF redactor seems a bit obsessed to find the FXAA solution, in different cases when it's not even that true. They said AC Unity used FXAA on console and it's absolutely false, at least on ps4. Ubisoft used HRAA from awhile.

I really wish I bought this title for my ps4 instead of Pc. It runs in really bad, I had to put it on the lowest settings to get it relatively near 60fps.

Replicant

There's something about this game that makes it looks really beautiful on PS4. It's such a mile improvement over MK9, which looked like jaggy mess.

Shame about the human characters' faces though. With the exception of Scorpion and Sub Zero, everyone else either looks meh or horrifying in an unintended kind of way.

Skyzard

Banned
Looking at the comparison video (screenshot comparison won't load for me) the black crush is insignificant in regular play (only ever so slightly visible with some shadows) EXCEPT during some of the intros or story sequences, can't tell.

Combined with the horrible black crush that effectively ruins the cut-scenes central to enjoying the single-player story mode,

eg:
Yup:
kUT3K1b.png

Nope:
cqHtuUE.png

RedFury

It's written by David Bierton, DF articles state the author above the actual article and just below the share buttons under the banner image ;)
Thank you. I stopped clicking on DF articles a while back. I get little excerpts from gaf or analysis from NX gamer.

The Cowboy

Is it true ?

I can't find anything on this on the Steam game forum, nor have i seen this posted elsewhere - this is the 1st I've seen someone say this.

Unless he/she simply means the patch fixed some of his/her performance issues during regular play, and he/she isn't talking about x-rays intros etc..

Well to be honest some DF redactor seems a bit obsessed to find the FXAA solution, in different cases when it's not even that true. They said AC Unity used FXAA on console and it's absolutely false, at least on ps4. Ubisoft used HRAA from awhile.

Do you have a link describing how AC Unity used HRAA? I was under the impression that it was only used in FC4. Furthermore, I havent seen screen of AC4 on console that have all the ghosting the HRAA produces.

Javin98

Banned
But he was wrong? This is the 4rd or 4th time in this thread where someone has said "he was right." When.. he wasn't.

It seems odd to actively change history like that.

But back on topic, what are the chances of having the 30fps BS on PC being eliminated in a patch? Are people complaining enough on the steam forums?
Again, he never directly said 900p. I'm not sure why everyone was saying he said 900p. Yet when DF said PCars had FXAA, but it was actually EQAA, nobody gave a shit. DF makes mistakes frequently too.

Skyzard

Banned
I can't find anything on this on the Steam game forum, nor have i seen this posted elsewhere - this is the 1st I've seen someone say this.

Unless he/she simply means the patch fixed some of his/her performance issues during regular play, and he/she isn't talking about x-rays intros etc..

I think you're right :/

Kezen

Banned
No. Game still has 30 fps X-rays, Fatalaties, Menus

But they are 30fps on consoles as well. Is the game broken in any way on PC ?
Crushed blacks during cutscenes aside, how does it run and look compared to consoles ?

If DF is right the PC version looks as good if not slightly better, that's enough for me.

Crushed blacks during cutscenes aside, how does it run and look compared to consoles ?

If DF is right the PC version looks as good if not slightly better, that's enough for me.

Beyond the cut scenes it is better as long as you are OK with the 30fps transitions. I find that a "no buy" territory to be honest: I no longer want to support ports with arbitrary limits like that.

Also, make sure you are using xinput conotrollers or some software which translates to xinput.

You can downsample the PC version. That is a big plus for me, compared to black crushed you can easily correct I guess with SweetFX or even with a patch.

You can downsample the PC version. That is a big plus for me, compared to black crushed you can easily correct I guess with SweetFX or even with a patch.

GOod question, can Sweetfx extrapolate on black crushed images really to increase their colour depth?

Is the information there to work with?

robotrock

Banned
The PC cutscenes always looked kinda unusually dark to me, but I had just expected it was the same case on the consoles. Hope they fix it.

E92 M3

I own both consoles, but will still buy this game on Xbox. PCs exist for maximum technical performance. Other than that, I enjoy playing certain games on the Xbox.

Korezo

The blacks are crushed during character select to, and the game stutters alot in menues and in character select but it looks very good.

Mastperf

He has the privilege of owning the game and looking at raw footage. I had to rely on someone else's screenshot that wasn't convenient for counting and I still figured it was 1080 pixels vertically without spending even 5 minutes.

I'm not an expert on pixel counting but I knew I could say that much instead of making assumptions.
Again, this isn't his final face-off. He was doing a quick comparison for those wanting to know which to buy. He's saving the in-depth face-off for later. He has to buy every copy of games he compares which means buying 3 copies in most cases. His channel is still small so he wants to save the in-depth analysis for the full article in order to get more subscribers and views. He gave the important information for those wantng to decide at release and anyone wanting more can wait for the full comparison.

Kezen

Banned
The blacks are crushed during character select to, and the game stutters alot in menues and in character select but it looks very good.

Unfortunate but nothing game breaking. Performance and graphics is where it's at as far as I'm concerned.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
Sounds like a mess on PC. Why would they give it to high voltage? They do crappy jobs on all their ports. Is it so necessary to save that amount of cash that it would take to put a competent developer on the port that you'd risk alienating your fans? You know the dev's resume is horrible, why go through that?

Its even worse because if the port is REALLY bad, then your not saving any money anyway cause you have to hire a better dev to fix the shit, like Konami had to after High Voltage fucked up the ZOE 2 port to PS3.

Its just a total shitty situation all around.

orava

Sounds like a mess on PC. Why would they give it to high voltage? They do crappy jobs on all their ports. Is it so necessary to save that amount of cash that it would take to put a competent developer on the port that you'd risk alienating your fans? You know the dev's resume is horrible, why go through that?

Its even worse because if the port is REALLY bad, then your not saving any money anyway cause you have to hire a better dev to fix the shit, like Konami had to after High Voltage fucked up the ZOE 2 port to PS3.

Its just a total shitty situation all around.

Well if you go with the console version, the game is not going to be any better.

If you have a pirated version, you won't see a difference. Also, the krypt and menus all 60fps. Still a loading studder in the fight intros, tho.

Kezen

Banned
If you have a pirated version, you won't see a difference.

Huh I don't pirate games. I've bought it but 30gb is a huge download for me, and 15gb of patches after that.
Great.

But as things stand I think the PC version will reign supreme in my case. I don't see how it is "broken" in any way.

HardRojo

They way they describe, it's not that it's a problem, it's just that one is still preferable to the other, even if just very marginally. Some people are indeed sensitive to this stuff.

Ironically, if the situations were reversed, and it was XB1 very marginally better on framerate and DF made any noise about it, there would be outrage. But not so here.
Oh please stop with that already, in almost every DF thread you complain about people being biased towards Sony but if you keep bringing it up then it'll never stop.
Also, there's this sound glitch present in the 360 version of USF4 and people keep playing it, I don't remember a big outrage and it's still the go to version for tournaments, so I don't know what you mean about what would happen if the situations in MKX was reversed.
Performance matters a lot in Fighting games, it's the reason the 360 version is still played in tournaments despite the sound glitch, which as far as I know is only present in that version.

robotrock

Banned
If you have a pirated version, you won't see a difference. Also, the krypt and menus all 60fps. Still a loading studder in the fight intros, tho.

Wait, really?

Edit: 15gb patch installed, everything is still the way it was before. 30fps X-rays, krypt, fatalities.

Doc Morbid

Neo Member
I expected the PS4 to have a slight graphical/performance advantage, but picked up the Xbone version anyway because that doesn't have region locks in online play.

Of course, in practice I'll want to fight other euro players anyway because the netcode is what it is, but it's still nice to have the option to try playing overseas dudes.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
Well if you go with the console version, the game is not going to be any better.

Sure, i only have a PS4 so that's the version i'm obviously getting eventually...(not paying full price for region locking multiplayer for no reason), but its just shit that PC players have to put up with the crap now. It all just feeds into the 'lazy developer and publisher' stereotype these days where every aspect of game design is a "ship it broken and patch it later" sort of deal.

I just don't understand it.

Oh well, its not like i'm hurting for PS4 fighting games just yet. USF4 soon, Guilty Gear is still calling too

Shpeshal Nick

aka Collingwood
Man, you're really unfair sometimes. When I'm not sure about something, I phrase it as such. It's simply not possible for anyone outside of the developers to be 100% certain on issues like this with some games. There is sub-pixel breakup in some scenes in The Order that left me uncertain about the AA method being used. Even Durante echoed those thoughts. Even still, I think it's possibly the best looking game I've ever played.

I also happen to have an issue with 30fps cutscenes in MKX as I feel it breaks the flow of the action especially during X-rays. It's jarring when the frame-rate bounces between 30 and 60fps. I also find the stuttery nature of the pre-rendered scenes to be highly annoying.

Just for the record, since you love to drag out fanboy accusations, here's my current physical collection for both systems. This doesn't include the many more digital PS4 games I have (in comparison to the scant few Xbox games). Not to mention my 100+ PS3 games, 250+ PS2 titles, and who knows how many PS1 titles. I don't even want to count my Steam games, though... :X

I'm aware it's not your intention, but that pic and your post just swing the whole "bias" picture the other way now. He he.

Top Bottom