• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Most Downgraded game

Nah, the PS4/X1 version looks at least as good as the early screenshots and trailers. It's clear they had to cut back to make performance targets on last gen and just cut the PC version to match.

So far there is nothing to indicate that the lighting and geometry are anywhere near pre-downgrade levels. Any pics/videos to suggest otherwise?

-GJ-

[img-]http://i.imgur.com/IRSlirT.jpg[/img]

What happened to this version of the game?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y_DSfjAdhlU

Probably never existed. I attended a behind closed doors presentation of Infinite at the Gamescom back in 2010(?) and they showed us that exact same video, except they told us that it was being played at that very moment. There was even a guy with a controller standing right in front of me who was 'playing' the game, yet the YouTube video is the exact same footage of what I've seen at the presentation.

They did say it was pre-alpha though, but it wasn't real gameplay, that's for sure. Or maybe it was pre-recorded, but then what's the point of the guy holding the controller, pretending he's playing the game? I can understand it when they do that at E3 or something, but this was behind closed doors for an audience of 10-15 people.

Ridley327

oh never knew that

thanks for the info

Graphically, I don't think the final game was that far off from the first trailer, but the animations were the biggest downgrade, particularly the transitions between animations. The stuff in the final game is so stiff in comparison.

LMAO @ 'The Witcher 3', get out

IRSlirT.jpg

*ding ding ding*

Meia

IRSlirT.jpg

Either focus groups(the same ones that effected things like the cover of the game box itself), or they never had that version of the game done and had to push SOMETHING out the door or else. Too bad they pushed something out the door and it didn't matter anyway.

Not going to lie, Infinite wasn't a bad game, but a massive disappointment for what it could have been. For that I'd probably agree with this as the biggest downgrade.

ghst

thanks for the laugh
any number of n64 games that only existed as postage stamp sized "PRE ORDER NOW" screenshots in the back of magazines.

any number of n64 games that only existed as postage stamp sized "PRE ORDER NOW" screenshots in the back of magazines.

Yeah, people will mention recent games, but the N64 had quite a few games that didn't resemble the initial screenshots in any way. Just track down some old Top Gear Rally or Mission Impossible 64 screens.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Oh man, I forgot about these. Pages and pages of game listings you could preorder over the phone and only like a third actually existed.

Hansel

Banned
Fable was severely downgraded from it's original form in Peter Molyneux's head.

I believe he talked about trees literally growing over time. Bless his heart.

Either focus groups(the same ones that effected things like the cover of the game box itself), or they never had that version of the game done and had to push SOMETHING out the door or else. Too bad they pushed something out the door and it didn't matter anyway.

Not going to lie, Infinite wasn't a bad game, but a massive disappointment for what it could have been. For that I'd probably agree with this as the biggest downgrade.

the game was probably a mess and hodge-podge of gameplay ideas before Rod Fergusson came along and streamlined it. they also probably cut a lot of skylines and open-ness of the world to get the performance reasonable on PS360

Fbh

Meh, the Killzone 2 trailer had a sort of CGI smoothness to it, true, but in many aspects I still think the final game ended up looking better

Mabye it's because it's more recent but, while I still ended up enjoying the game, Dark Souls 2 was a massive downgrade.
It wasn't just a hands off demo. They had the gameplay playable at event and all.
And unlike Watch Dogs which just looked worse every time they showed it, we didn't find out about the downgrade until like a week before release.

Another one that comes to mind is White Knight Chronicles. I remember being blown away the first time I saw (though the running animation does look silly now). And they did a much better job than Killzone 2 in making it actually look like gameplay (KZ2 didn't even have a reticle, here we saw a pause menu and a HUD during battle).

Anyone remember the first gameplay for Brothers in Arm Hells Highway?
15 minutes or so with commentary by Pitchford and a military supervisor.
set in Eindhoven - started out in a toy shop, mortar hits the building, Baker walks out and pulls glass out of arm. Then the squad goes through some backyards, shoots a guy on a roof, then takes out a AA gun.

My description doesn't sound so hot, but the end product visually didn't come close.

Probably never existed. I attended a behind closed doors presentation of Infinite at the Gamescom back in 2010(?) and they showed us that exact same video, except they told us that it was being played at that very moment. There was even a guy with a controller standing right in front of me who was 'playing' the game, yet the YouTube video is the exact same footage of what I've seen at the presentation.

They did say it was pre-alpha though, but it wasn't real gameplay, that's for sure. Or maybe it was pre-recorded, but then what's the point of the guy holding the controller, pretending he's playing the game? I can understand it when they do that at E3 or something, but this was behind closed doors for an audience of 10-15 people.

To mislead people. Apparently, I thought Ubisoft's initial WD reveal was the only studio pulling that kind of stunt. But to do it behind closed doors? I can see why now! It's quite obvious the delays and delays of the game caused it to have a massive rehaul and ends up being a shell of the presentation they originally intended.

Rembrandt

Banned
Anyone remember the first gameplay for Brothers in Arm Hells Highway?
15 minutes or so with commentary by Pitchford and a military supervisor.
set in Eindhoven - started out in a toy shop, mortar hits the building, Baker walks out and pulls glass out of arm. Then the squad goes through some backyards, shoots a guy on a roof, then takes out a AA gun.

My description doesn't sound so hot, but the end product visually didn't come close.

Yeah, I remember that. Got me so hyped for that. Shame that series is dead and gone. Would be great if they brought it back and not in the form of that trailer form two years ago.

yoFlzDi.gif

Honorable mention?

Ryse was upgraded from that Kinect footage

Probably Spore/Fable, DSII (From footage I've seen) or Watch_Dogs.

FordGTGuy

Banned
Yeah, I remember that. Got me so hyped for that. Shame that series is dead and gone. Would be great if they brought it back and not in the form of that trailer form two years ago.

Ryse was upgraded from that Kinect footage

Probably Spore/Fable, DSII (From footage I've seen) or Watch_Dogs.

Completely different game, technically every game is upgraded from it's own foundation.

This is in reference to when RYSE was downgraded with total poly count on models.

jett

D-Member
AOQVPuX.jpg

MGS4 has always gotten a huge pass, and people go to such insane, ridiculous lengths to defend or be blind to the downgrade. Nevermind that its original showing was a perfect 60fps as well. It was just bullshit.

Wynnebeck

Banned
MGS4 has always gotten a huge pass, and people go to such insane, ridiculous lengths to defend or be blind to the downgrade. Nevermind that its original showing was a perfect 60fps as well. It was just bullshit.

I must be blind because I'm not seeing this huge downgrade you speak of.

Reg

Banned
http://i.imgur.com/AOQVPuX.jpg

Which one is the downgrade?

edit: ah I see which one is the final version.

Just graphics, Dark Souls 2 gets my vote for recent example because it was a playable demo rather than a trailer. Plus you can notice the difference instantly.

Jett always posts that exact MGS4 image and it's always terrible because the images are too shrunk and compressed to see the actual difference in lighting and polygon count (not to mention resolution, framerate, and Kojima's promises of dynamic battlefields). There was a huge downgrade that Kojima even copped to, but that comparison doesn't really show it.

Spaghetti

AOQVPuX.jpg

does it really count as the type of downgrade the thread is about if the hardware changes beneath the developer's feet?

i dunno. semantics. at least the game looked marginally better on release than it did in its 2006 showing which was the first real look at it on near-final ps3 hardware.

jett

D-Member
Jett always posts that exact image and it's always terrible because the images are too shrunk and compressed to see the actual difference in lighting and polygon count (not to mention resolution, framerate, and Kojima's promises of dynamic battlefields).

I made that years ago, I don't have decent quality sources for most of the comparisons. I can only post this decent looking version of the original trailer:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NaeYAW89a3M

Anyone who says the retail game looks like that didn't play it. Also, that trailer was 60fps, compared to the barely 30fps nature of the real game. Oh and it turned out to be sub-HD too.

MGS4s downgrade has become less significant over time outside of the framerate. I just don't see an appreciable difference anymore. Its a downgrade but not significant.

For me I'd say Watch dogs for gameplay, Fable for features and Madden/Forza 2 for graphics.

Top Bottom