• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Most Downgraded game

Spaghetti

Jett always posts that exact MGS4 image and it's always terrible because the images are too shrunk and compressed to see the actual difference in lighting and polygon count (not to mention resolution, framerate, and Kojima's promises of dynamic battlefields). There was a huge downgrade that Kojima even copped to, but that comparison doesn't really show it.
well come on, to give credit to jett, based on snake's model there's still a stark difference and there are a lot of smaller details that were never realised in the final game.

mrlion

IRSlirT.jpg

What happened to this version of the game?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y_DSfjAdhlU

Didn't Ken Levine say that they remade the game like 3 times?

Ill ignore killzone 2 as stated by OP. not in any particular order

watch dogs
uncharted 4
battlefield 4

adding a terrible looking DOF filter to blur 97% of the screen does not make watch dogs any less downgraded. seems to be the only differentiator in 95+% of these pc graphics mods, and it makes the game look terrible every time.

Don't get me wrong, I think KZ2 is a stunning looking game (if not the best of the generation), but I will never understand those that think actual KZ2 looks better than CG KZ2. The animations alone are beyond current-gen

Come to think of it, if someone with some actual authority on the matter were to assert that such animation isn't even achievable in a real-time video game, I'd have no trouble believing them. It's very clearly not an actual video game, whereas KZ2 very clearly is.

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
Pretty sure that picture Dennis is using was posted by him before all the "2012 level graphics" mods came out. That being said, the game does look great on pc.
z1iYaJX.png

And yes, it was downgraded, presumably because they didn't wanna develop two different versions of the same game so they made the game scaleable between next gen and last gen hardware, which explains the downgraded geometry because the 2012 version seems to be going for more realistic scale.

well come on, to give credit to jett, based on snake's model there's still a stark difference and there are a lot of smaller details that were never realised in the final game.
I agree that there is a visible difference if you pay attention and I'm giving him a hard time, it's just that every time it comes up there's always the "lol the colors are different that's all" replies.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick

watch dogs
uncharted 4
battlefield 4

adding a terrible looking DOF filter to blur 97% of the screen does not make watch dogs any less downgraded. seems to be the only differentiator in 95+% of these pc graphics mods, and it makes the game look terrible every time.

One of the bolded is about a year from release and the other had stability issues but wasn't visually downgraded at all.

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!

watch dogs
uncharted 4
battlefield 4

How was BF4 downgraded? And Uncharted 4 isn't released yet.

Does this have to be visual downgrades? If so Master Chief Collection easily.
It was?

watch dogs
uncharted 4
battlefield 4

It's tough to take this post seriously when it puts forward an unreleased game as an example.

Scrooged

Totally wronger about Nintendo's business decisions.
IRSlirT.jpg

What happened to this version of the game?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y_DSfjAdhlU

Too bad they couldn't deliver on that type of dynamic gameplay. *sigh*

Also, I just noticed watching that again that certain things change appearance such as the painting in the bar....which means in that version of the game the timeline changed in real time, kinda like the photo in Back to the Future.

Jett always posts that exact MGS4 image and it's always terrible because the images are too shrunk and compressed to see the actual difference in lighting and polygon count (not to mention resolution, framerate, and Kojima's promises of dynamic battlefields). There was a huge downgrade that Kojima even copped to, but that comparison doesn't really show it.

Let's not forget that Otacan display, was a real 3D space, instead of just a video. It was impressive, but got cut (if you think about it, it was a waste of resources anyway)

Last gen: Dark Souls 2.

I MEAN DAMN http://i.4cdn.org/vg/1419134966339.webm

This is still the king though, let's not forget that unlike other cases, people played this build.

If the new version dosn't look like this....

HTupolev

Does this have to be visual downgrades? If so Master Chief Collection easily.
How so? Outside of resolution and framerate, the games have some issues relative to their original versions, but the marketing material for MCC reflected that (i.e. Halo 3 being washed out). There was no downgrade in the sense this thread is talking about.

nkarafo

I remember some cool footage in Portal 2 trailers that didn't exist in the game. Like some amazing morphing rooms and a huge sexy screen that showed the Aperature logo. These 2 were my favorite things in the trailers, lol.

Portal 2 was still awesome though.

Wynnebeck

Banned

watch dogs
uncharted 4
battlefield 4

#dead

SaviorX

Welp, time to cry again. This broke my young heart so much, I've lost the ability to reach massive amounts of pre-release hype like I did for Project Ego. Probably a good thing actually.

Fable...I was like 12 at time time, expecting a grand adventure. I used to go to the library and read the magazines they had back then and see previews and read about it all the time. Then I finally bought it expecting a game changer, to join the pantheon of awesome immersive titles before it like Ocarina of Time or Shenmue...

I was wrong about Fable...dead wrong. I never got the wife I was promised in that game either, and it was incredibly short

hwalker84

How so? Outside of resolution and framerate, the games have some issues relative to their original versions, but the marketing material for MCC reflected that (i.e. Halo 3 being washed out). There was no downgrade in the sense this thread is talking about.

I meant to say "if not" basically I'm saying the games are downgraded in functionality not graphics.

Spore definitely:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T8dvMDFOFnA

What could've been...

Last gen: Dark Souls 2.

I MEAN DAMN http://i.4cdn.org/vg/1419134966339.webm

The one that most hurt. To this day I still haven't played DS2 for that reason. The downgrade really rubbed me the wrong way. I'm not going to accept anything less than the prerelease quality for the re-release. If they half-ass it again, even after a do-over, I'm skipping the game entirely. Bloodborne is around the corner anyway, I'd be giving them a mercy sale if I do end up buying DSII.

watch dogs
uncharted 4
battlefield 4

Uhh...should I even bother?

AmyS

Things were different back then so there wasn't much uproar, but MGS4.

Original reveal: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NaeYAW89a3M

AOQVPuX.jpg

MGS4 has always gotten a huge pass, and people go to such insane, ridiculous lengths to defend or be blind to the downgrade. Nevermind that its original showing was a perfect 60fps as well. It was just bullshit.

I was going to vote for MGS4 as the most downgraded game, although it doesn't really count because that was running realtime on a hardware setup that the final PlayStation3 would never equal in terms of graphics processing, RAM, bandwidth, etc.

w7xtydZ.png

I still haven't gotten over it and I don't think I ever will...

Halo 2's New Mombasa actually hurts me the most.

Ridley327

I was going to vote for MGS4 as the most downgraded game, although it doesn't really count because that was running realtime on a hardware setup that the final PlayStation3 would never equal in terms of graphics processing, RAM, bandwidth, etc.

You know, I don't think I would have minded the graphical downgrade as much if they had ironed out the framerate. I would have even settled for a stable 30, instead of what the game wound up with. And that's not even getting into the gameplay downgrades they had to make, which they're only now getting to with MGS5.

AmyS

You know, I don't think I would have minded the graphical downgrade as much if they had ironed out the framerate. I would have even settled for a stable 30, instead of what the game wound up with. And that's not even getting into the gameplay downgrades they had to make, which they're only now getting to with MGS5.

I pray to God that Hideo Kojima remasters MGS4 in the Fox Engine on PS4 (and PC) to the point where it really lives upto that TGS 2005 reveal. Meaning the model detail, environments, lighting, textures, effects and framerate in native 1080p.
720p on XBone.

Top Bottom