• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Most people have never heard of PS4 Pro or Project Scorpio - The Verge

King_Moc

Banned
My comment said it would beat the Pro launch not cumulative sales and thats why 4k adoptuon matters.

Enthusiasts have also known there was a stronger console coming from the moment the Pro was unveiled. MS talked Scorpio early. Couple that with the lackluster Pro unveiling and there you are. Pro wasn't even shown last E3 at the biggest damn gaming event and I think that was a fuck up on Sony's part.

Have you ever tried showing off 4K via a video stream? Guess what, people can't tell the difference and the demo flops. Happened for the Horizon reveal. Journalists raved, everyone watching the stream was like "eh?".

I honestly just don't see many people passing up the Pro specifically for the Scorpio. XB1 > Scorpio sure, but what PS4 gamer is leaving that library behind?

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Well yeah Scorio isnt out yet and marketing hasnt even ramped up

That and Scorpio isn't probably even going to be the final name.

Also, worth noting that there's around 2, 3 gamestop's near where I live and I frequent all of them for deals and stuff and they have almost always been sold out of Pro's since launch.

IMO Scorpio will outdo the Pro's launch numbers. MS is putting more beef behind the Scorpio and we've had another year of 4k adoption.

Your earlier post said 2 million. I just don't see it. That would be double what Pro sold with only half the Ps4 user base. Also 2 million would almost be more than what they sell with the base model/slim. No way it's gonna be that high.

AEdouard

I heard a guy at GameStop say that 4K is a sales gimmick is actually no different than 1080p. The salesman started laughing and so did I.

Well, it's obviously not a gimmick, but depending on your display size and viewing distance, it might be more of a marketing tool than a real plus. HDR, however...

2+2=5

The Amiga Brotherhood
PS4Pro is already on the stores from a lot of time, Scorpio is just the codename of a console that has yet to be revealed, not knowing PS4Pro and not knowing Scorpio aren't the same.

MisterR

Well I'm not, I'm saying it's the more expensive option that was marketed far more effectively and with far more prioritization then it's older predecessor

Come on man, really? The Wii U has been dead for years and is one of the biggest flops in the history of console gaming. The One S isn't in the same league as the Wii U. Nobody's gonna go buy a dead console to play one game. Maybe if the Switch was $400 bucks.

Crayon

Sony got it right going very low key with the pro. The smart thing is to avoid making the base ps4 look inferior.

SOR5

Well yeah Scorio isnt out yet and marketing hasnt even ramped up

Thats precisely why this article is flawed.

1. The fact that PS4 Pro, by its very nature was never intended to be a huge trailblazer, just a complementary option.

2. The fact that Scorpio hasnt even got a proper name yet (lol, imagine an article back then saying "not much people know about Orbis")

And then theres the contextual differences between Scorpio and Pro themself, the two will be positioned significantly different

Andrew House: Here is the PS4 Pro, it is a choice for the more discerning gamer, it has 4K capabilities but is not intended to replace the PS4. Allow us to carry on marketing the regular PS4 above all else. I hope a few of these showcase reels demonstrated the benefits you can get.

Phil Spencer: (after 365 days of teasing and hype-building articles) BOOM Welcome to E3, here it is Scorpios real name: Xbox DICKSMASHER *explosion goes off in the background* Woah DAMN look at this. Look at how FORZA looks on this woah SHiiit. Announcing BATTLETOADS now for DICKSMASHER, WINDOWS 10 and xbox one as well I guess, was that the name xbox one? xbox one can play DICKSMASHER games? Ah forget about that here it is, FORZA 4K OOOO LOOK

Do you get what I mean?

I'm glad I read this thread. I've been on the fence about getting a PS4, but with both Microsoft and Sony making better versions of their consoles I didn't know if I should buy one of those or wait till everything has been revealed.

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
Depends on how it's positioned.

PS4 Pro is very clearly an enthusiast console. Unless you've already heard of it, know the advantages, and care enough about those advantages, there's basically zero chance that a random Joe is going to walk into a Walmart and buy a Pro for $400 when the regular PS4 is sitting next to it for $270 and includes a game.

Scorpio sounds similar, but it ultimately depends on if MS is going to treat it as more next gen, or simply a 4K version of what already exists, like the Pro.

I didnt wanna say it, but I feel this too. I wouldnt be shocked if they did this.

I havent paid attention to how MS advertised console revisions in the past, so this could be the norm for them.

Mid gen refreshes with beefier specs is a lil different than a smaller console, wifi and bigger harddrive.

iMax

I think that Sony's approach and they are in no way trying to shift focus on the PRO model, but if you look at MS they are definitely be treating it like a new console. They are hoping to get back some of the people who migrated to Sony console at the beginning of this generation(which is tons of people). But they also want to also include the hardcore market. Getting that is very fine balance, and it won't be attained with an expensive console. Something that the Scorpio will most likely be. I seriously doubt it will be cheaper than $500. How do they expect to replace the XO with a console that costs that much?

I disagree. All indications so far have shown that Microsoft is positioning Scorpio as a high-end, premium, enthusiast system that will "co-exist" in the Xbox One lineup.

I fully expect an Apple-style conveyer-belt in the future though, with older models becoming more mainstream, and then eventually dropping off.

Falchion

Yeah but that's not a problem. Also one of those system isn't out yet and hasn't even had the reveal so it would be surprising if any outside the hardcore had heard of it.

Not really a surprise that enthusiast aimed boxes aren't well known. Scorpio will remain the same even after the name release and reveal in terms of recognition simply because it won't sell as much as Pro.

Pein

Banned
most people won't give a shit if the frame rate is more stable and the grass looks better, especially at a $150 more with no bundled games.

Boke1879

PS4 pro and Scorpio are the same type of devices. Only enthusiasts will get these products while the mass consumers will buy the cheaper options.

Boke1879

I didnt wanna say it, but I feel this too. I wouldnt be shocked if they did this.

I havent paid attention to how MS advertised console revisions in the past, so this could be the norm for them.

Mid gen refreshes with beefier specs is a lil different than a smaller console, wifi and bigger harddrive.

They aren't treating this as a new console or a new gen. They stated that time and again.

People trying to act like MS is going to treat this as anything other than a mod gen refresh are frankly playing themselves and wanting this thing to be more than it is.

It's going to be at least $400 while the slim and One S will be $200 cheaper this holiday.

Lucifon

PS4 pro and Scorpio are the same type of devices. Only enthusiasts will get these products while the mass consumers will buy the cheaper options.

Whilst true the marketing message plays an enormous role in the average consumer's consensus regarding such devices. The Pro's marketing has been ultra minimal with a clear focus on appealing to the hardcore. I'd be utterly shocked if Microsoft took the same approach, all signs point to them attempting to make a much bigger splash about their new box.

Have you ever tried showing off 4K via a video stream? Guess what, people can't tell the difference and the demo flops. Happened for the Horizon reveal. Journalists raved, everyone watching the stream was like "eh?".

I honestly just don't see many people passing up the Pro specifically for the Scorpio. XB1 > Scorpio sure, but what PS4 gamer is leaving that library behind?

I never understood the whole "WOW!" behind 4K definition. If you're tv is not 60" and bigger, you cannot tell the difference between 4K and 1080p. 4K is only for bigger tv's to keep the resolution from looking stretched out.

I'm a bit behind the times because I was using a 32" LCD tv for years and finally upgraded to a 55" LED.

Top Bottom