• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mr Plinkett reviews Ghostbusters (2016)

Dsyndrome

Edit: removed since the poster left.

Agreed with most of the review, the focus on Bill Murray saying his appearance was because of how funny the women were over and over could've been addressed otherwise. I took it as harping that he was forced in and not because of the women, but it could be taken the opposite from the presentation in the review.

Tripon

He did the job sony asked him to do

He directed the cast to make sure they weren't blocking any of the product placement

That was the same criticism that the Fanhaus guys had with the Emjoee movie.

Sony's more interested at doing ad deals than actually making good movies.

Wall

I think ad libbing works for some movies, but generally I think it's best when used sparingly. I remember reading about the production of Freaks and Geeks that a lot of the stories in the show came from the casts' life experiences. It seems that Apatow/Feig frequently employ a very collaborative creative process. There's a formal theory of theatre production that is similar (and that they might base their methods off of?), but I can't remember the name of it.

Unfortunately, I think both a movie like the orginal ghostbusters films and a movie like what Sony wanted (that would establish an Avengers type universe), needed more structure.

border

With Ramis gone this is something we'll argue till the cows come home.

If the Ghostbusters videogame is anything like what GB3 would have been, I don't think it would have been that satisfying or engaging. It played well and I had a good time with it, but it wouldn't have been a worthy followup.

Basically it's Plinkett with the critique and humor without the kidnapped hooker, dead wife jokes, and kidnapped girls in the basement.

If that's your cup of tea, ehh.

I prefer this plinket

Oh awesome... actually really smart not to do that shit with this movie

I actually really want to watch this if it avoids talking about or downplaying the horrid sexism that came from it's very existence. Quickly browsing the thread it seems that's what they did?

Adlibbing's not a trend, it's pretty old. Bill Murray famously adlibbed a bunch in the original.

There is a lot of legend building myth behind Murray's improv in GB. It's been forever now, but at some point when we were discussing it on here, I pulled up some lists of the supposed best imrov moments of the movie and a good chunk of them were actually in the script I also found online. Some of them weren't, so I'm not saying he didn't do it all. But, that stuff really gets built up like he made that movie on set, which isn't the case.

phanphare

Banned

I actually really want to watch this if it avoids talking about or downplaying the horrid sexism that came from it's very existence. Quickly browsing the thread it seems that's what they did?

it is solely focused on the movie itself, you should give it a watch

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!

Nothing about the events surrounding the films release, reception or anything were brought up at all. Purely about the studio, production and film itself.

Acorn

Only mention is a couple of "that would be sexist" jabs. 99.9% solely focused on the movie and not the b.s surrounding it.

Epcott

Omg! "Patti is... Lewis Tully."

Yeah, he makes pretty good points. Too much dancing, pointless lines, bloat, flat jokes, poor ad-libbing, dancing, oversaturated colors... good times!

Edit: Damn... he really rips into Bill Murray.

Great review IMO and breaks down why it's a terrible movie, as someone who saw it day 1 in theaters

It's a lot worse than people claim. I think the crazy MRA types hating it lead to people being soft on what is otherwise an unfunny hollywood reboot every bit as bad as the other unfunny hollywood reboots everyone already hates

See this is such an unnecessary thing to say. Why can't you just hate it instead of assuming that others who didn't hate it actually did.

thank god there were no prisonner hookers in the basement in this one.

I digress

It was a good review; Paul Feig should never direct another movie ever again

Well that's ridiculous even if you do hate this one he's done 3 good to great films before this one and a great TV series.

Staf

Only watched 20 minutes, before going to work, but i love it. Much better than TFA, good work fraud hacks!

Slaythe

See this is such an unnecessary thing to say. Why can't you just hate it instead of assuming that others who didn't hate it actually did.

Because of its reviews. When the overwhelming majority of people ended up hating it and the word of mouth killed the movie, you have to wonder where this early positive feedback came from. It also objectively shares an insane amount of terrible Sony's trademarks flaws. That the other movies don't get a pass for.

Considering the narrative that surrounded movie, with people insulting the cast, "women" etc... I do believe this influenced some early reviewers into being more indulgent.

Only watched 20 minutes, before going to work, but i love it. Much better than TFA, good work fraud hacks!

I see people keep mentioning this and it's fair since it was the most recent one, but he has more videos so I just saw it as an outlier from the get go in terms of quality.

I'm about 15 minutes in. Prime plinkett. This is great.

Ok not prime but ITS BEEN FIVE DAMN YEARS SINCE A GOOD REVIEW IM SO HAPPY

Just hope it stays good lol

I didn't notice the Papa John's in the Times Square scene before. What makes it even MORE funny is the fact that it directly replaces an actual pizza shop on that exact corner (Sbarro's) lol

Fat4all

Banned
I like how the easy potshots against the movie are called out early in the review, and then once you hit about 40 mins left it's much more focused and constructive. The use of the commentary track to point things out was nice to see as well.

I wouldn't mind seeing more Mr. Plinkett review like this, where it almost seems a bit less silly while keeping a bit of the dark edge to the humor.

Also why the fuck would you get Papa Johns WHEN YOU ARE IN NEW YORK CITY

They are the number 1 pizza chain in America

which means
giphy.gif

Marcel

I like how the easy potshots against the movie are called out early in the review, and then once you hit about 40 mins left it's much more focused and constructive. The use of the commentary track to point things out was nice to see as well.

I wouldn't mind seeing more Mr. Plinkett review like this, where it almost seems a bit less silly while keeping a bit of the dark edge to the humor.

Mike likely avoided using the typical dead hooker humor and gross-out skits of Plinkett reviews so people couldn't use that as a smokescreen to avoid talking about how he actually spells out what's wrong with the movie using sound analysis.

Astral Dog

I thought it was one of the best (modern?)SONY Pictures movies , liked the team and music was cool

But why is this video one hour and why this man has such a strange voice?

Mike likely avoided using the typical dead hooker humor and gross-out skits of Plinkett reviews so people couldn't use that as a smokescreen to avoid talking about how he actually spells out what's wrong with the movie using sound analysis.

Or maybe he just realized it'd be in really really really poor taste

Marcel

I thought it was one of the best (modern?)SONY Pictures movies , liked the team and music was cool

That strange voice basically made an unknown Milwaukee film production company world famous.

This was fine. I'm kind of surprised there was no real mention of Ghostbusters 2 which Mike doesn't like. I'm glad they didn't do any of the conspiratorial nonsense or other bad habits from their more recent work. I liked that this was short and to the point. As a long time fan, I kind of miss any Plinkett skits in the review, and crediting Jack/Rich was strange since they've never done that before. One last negative thing: I didn't really find the review to be all that funny, or at least as funny as some of the other reviews. This didn't feel like an obligation, but it felt more like the Titanic review, and I'm not even sure what that means.

But, let's be honest. The real reason Mike loves the first Ghostbusters film so much and hates this new one is because Mike believes in ghosts. The first Ghostbusters took ghosts seriously and treated them as real. This new 2016 version did not. Also, there was that ghost sex scene, and it's obvious Mike envisions himself in that situation getting to fuck a ghost. Mike believes in ghosts, he wants to sleep with a ghost, and any movie that detracts from this is a bad movie to him. Never forget he used to watch all those reality TV paranormal shows, and probably masturbated to them.

Lastly, those effects on the blu-ray to have certain things pop out of frame are terrible! I understand using it sparingly for some stuff like how it was done in Life of Pi, but it seemed like every scene shown in this review had that effect.

Oh, and while not liking the movie, I laughed at some stuff. I think the line in the beginning about enslaving elephants to be funny, and I like some of the stuff with Kevin, particularly the two photos of him with the saxophone.

Thank you, thank you, THANK YOU for calling out Bill Murray.

I want to see the Plinkette edit of the movie now.

Actually, yeah. I was really surprised at how much better he made it in that short clip. Sort of an 80's adventure movie vibe, where they actually tried to give you a sense of wonder and danger.

Sanjuro

Paul Feig, we would like you to make a Ghostbusters reboot. What memory of the original comes to mind first?

Paul Feig: Pringles.

Pringles?

Paul Feig: Yes, Pringles. I always envisioned the Ghostbusters popping open a tube of America's favorite potato crisp.

Sir, we have a billion dollar sponsor with Frito Lays. This will cost us millions.

Paul Feig: Do you think this is a fucking game??

Kettch

The actors taking over the movie was definitely the best point they made. Everything really comes down to that. You can't have any atmosphere or comedic timing when the actors are constantly ad-libbing random shit throughout a scene.

The several alternative edits they put together really drove home how much of a difference it makes.

This is a nice return to form after the TFA review. It's also much less "produced" with hardly any skits, and I don't really mind that much. RLM could just largely do away with those and churn these things out much more quickly.

The biggest takeaway for me is the interview segments of Feig explaining why they went with a hard reboot. He says something along the lines of, "Well, let's take the things that we love, like Ecto-1, Slimer, and etc." Something about that really rubs me the wrong way.

The Plinkett re-edited scenes are also pretty telling of what the movie's major weaknesses are.

When he made that joke just by shutting up the actors and adding a pause.

It really is crazy how much better this amateur made certain scenes with a couple changes. You're getting paid millions Feig!

Fjordson

The reviewer is super old and has a multitude of diseases and ailments. Give him a break!

These guys are the best in the business. It's proof that you can learn A LOT from a bad movie - you can so clearly see how they blew the timing of jokes etc when he stops everything to point it out. And yeah, this project needed a director who actually had a vision for it.

Was it this movie where they started that whole conspiracy theory bullshit on Half in the Bag? If so, THANK FUCK they didn't do that here.

Great review. Especially after TFA, I'm happy to see another Plinkett review that just nails every point.

These guys are the best in the business. It's proof that you can learn A LOT from a bad movie - you can so clearly see how they blew the timing of jokes etc when he stops everything to point it out. And yeah, this project needed a director who actually had a vision for it.

Off topic, but I'm curious if they've watched John Dies at the End. Would love an interview of theirs with you and/or Don Coscarelli. Seeing how much they love classic horror films particularly, seems like it'd be a good fit for them.

Betty

Banned
Really good review, best since the Prequels, lots of good points, laugh out loud moments and best of all it subverted everyones expectations about it just being a barrage of hate because it simply starred women.

Nailed it!

Such a good review.

Glad he stayed away from the controversy that surrounded the film and just stuck to the film and its production. He gave a fair and thorough assessment of the movie and its talent, and shed some light on possible reasons why it was such a soulless and miserable experience to watch for many.

Really good review, best since the Prequels, lots of good points, laugh out loud moments and best of all it subverted everyones expectations about it just being a barrage of hate because it simply starred women.

Nailed it!
Pretty much how I feel. Great break down of why it didn't work. It wouldn't matter who they cast. They had a good list of talent. But nothing for them to work with. Too demanding of how much they asked them to improv. No cohesive ideas for the story and a director without any sort of grasp on the source material.

Just hope we don't have to wait another five years for another plinkett.

Top Bottom