• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MS confirms indie program for XB1, was a big GamesCom surprise, angry at GI for leak

rothbart

Apparently "Our vision..." means we're not doing what you want us to do... we clearly can't change your mind about that... we realize we have to do something... so we're going to tell you about it right now... oh hell no, it doesn't apply _now_... but it likely will... someday... get off my back now.... please?!?!

FranXico

Not exactly. These two were under c# (which is managed and runs under a "sandbox" itself). WinRT gives you c/c++ and direct access to the hardware.

WinRT is more strict than win32 for instance, but aside to running on a lower system level access compared to win32 i don't think there are any platform inherent performance drops, like you'd have with c#...

Even using C++ you will be confined to the VM.

No it didn't.

You know full well that what MS are bumblingly and haphazardly peddling now is something well above and beyond anything that was possible with the 360.

And you should also know that the real-world application of these latest claims will almost certainly not pass muster with what is being 'teased' after closer inspection.

Sorry, what is the issue? Xbox 360 was a dev kit for XNA based games. It allowed developers to have access to a sizable amount of Xbox Live features. Online play, Avatars, limited Rich Presence.

Price was changeable from $5, $3, or $1 and sales charts were normally updated daily. Patches were free.

Some XBLA games like Dishwasher and FEZ were available on XBLA and they gave them permissions for Achievements.

Will any journalists call MS on the lying?

No. This is games journalists we are talking about.

The downsides were limited hardware access, lack of xbox live features, and a crappy store nobody touched.
Also, they are already announcing that at least two of those three negatives I mentioned are out of the picture. The only question left is hardware access.

False, all WinRT apps will be in a crappy store nobody goes into.

Krakn3Dfx

Looking forward to a 99 cent indie game called "Wave Your Hands In The Air Like You Just Don't Care" and it ending up being the Kinect killer app we keep hearing about.

And then a followup article a year later about how the developers never got paid.

Azull

How do you know this? MS just said otherwise. You have inside info?

fB19z.gif

There is no way this wasn't planned from the get go. The time to create the tools and infrastructure to support it is a good couple years in the making.

LastChance2Frag

Neo Member
Awesome news, bit of a shame it leaked before gamescom but still a while to plan ahead for more good news there. Great for indies and I hope lots of information will be available after gamescom so every dev knows where they stand so they can start prepping some great games for xbox one users.

Conor 419

Banned
Crackdown 2 was underrated and plus it was rushed.[under 1 year dev time]

Another casulty of Microsoft's awful management.

Considering their (only) big IP suffered similarly bad management in its most recent mainline release, what makes you think Crackdown will return to glory?

Besides, Microsoft stated they are still looking for a team to make it, don't expect it at GamesCom.

I think this is one of the most important parts of the interview:
GB: But this isn’t a situation where, if you just pick up an Xbox One at Target, you’re only going to be able to access certain parts of the memory, certain parts of the graphics processor? This is going to allow you, at least eventually, once it’s all put into place, to be able to do everything that someone like Respawn is doing?

Whitten: That’s right.

iMax

I think this is one of the most important parts of the interview:
GB: But this isn’t a situation where, if you just pick up an Xbox One at Target, you’re only going to be able to access certain parts of the memory, certain parts of the graphics processor? This is going to allow you, at least eventually, once it’s all put into place, to be able to do everything that someone like Respawn is doing?

That's crazy.

TheOddOne

Cloud for multiplayer only is a mistake? So everything just as it is now is a mistake?
Give the developer the tools and they'll make cloud for multiplayer only
No, he says that it's benifical for MP and SP. It's in the developers hands on how they want to use it.

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
...so I guess they really are combining stores.

I uh...I don't know how well that's going to go.

Apps and games are defined by their support. Apps will be in one area, games merged into Xbox marketplace.

Top tier titles would have greatest visibility mixed with value content

No separation of indie, arcade and games on demand

Now its games on demand with largest visibility and other games as the minor.

Biggest question that remains is how good will discoverability be? I found XBLA to be pretty great, but that's mainly because there was less games - sorting by release date might not work out all that well this time around. Like... How will XBLA/indie demos be handled now?

statham

wow.

KAL2006

Banned
Another casulty of Microsoft's awful management.

Considering their (only) big IP suffered similarly bad management in its most recent mainline release, what makes you think Crackdown will return to glory?

Besides, Microsoft stated they are still looking for a team to make it, don't expect it at GamesCom.

I expect Fable MMO (not full MMO, but similar to Destiny) as the new big MS game announcement. Perhaps a RARE game announcement. I also expect more Kinect games this time as we haven't got many for such a system that has Kinect with every system.

Basically

MS
1 Big Kinect game
Fable MMO
RARE game (they have another team I think?)
Indie announcement, with Indie games (its been leaked)

Top Bottom