• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MS confirms indie program for XB1, was a big GamesCom surprise, angry at GI for leak

sangreal

Cloud for multiplayer only is a mistake? So everything just as it is now is a mistake?
Give the developer the tools and they'll make cloud for multiplayer only

I know you're being intentionally obtuse, but he is saying it is a mistake to limit developers to only using the cloud for multiplayer games. Removing limitations on developers is always a good thing

8ExrU7B.jpg

Net Yaroze _O_ The consumer devkit PS1.

Still looking for one.

I think this is one of the most important parts of the interview:

If this is true im so close to preordering it.
Price is still a bit expensive so will wait after gamescon and other conventions i have no haste.

If it was only the windows part of it they can fuck off better drop the price and kinect

I hope Sony copies the every system can become a dev kit idea, that's a really nice idea and finally a forward thinking plan from Microsoft. Their first for Xbox One, as far as I'm scoring it.

It is nice in theory, but the real question is what will MS's licensing fees be when you actually release a title when using the system as an SDK?

Conor 419

Banned
I expect Fable MMO (not full MMO, but similar to Destiny) as the new big MS game announcement. Perhaps a RARE game announcement. I also expect more Kinect games this time as we haven't got many for such a system that has Kinect with every system.

Basically

MS
1 Big Kinect game
Fable MMO
RARE game (they have another team I think?)
Indie announcement, with Indie games (its been leaked)

and when none of this happens?

iMax

I expect Fable MMO (not full MMO, but similar to Destiny) as the new big MS game announcement. Perhaps a RARE game announcement. I also expect more Kinect games this time as we haven't got many for such a system that has Kinect with every system.

Basically

MS
1 Big Kinect game
Fable MMO
RARE game (they have another team I think?)
Indie announcement, with Indie games (its been leaked)

Pretty much bang on the money, I think, except the Kinect game. Unless that's what Rare's mystery team is working on, but I don't think so.

but I can't copy a tweet url :/

Should be able to. Click the date of the tweet, takes you to its page.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
What did CBOAT say?

He's saying you only get access to 3GB.

Really though it's a technical impossibility to push the XB1 to the max by using a normal retail XB1. You HAVE to have a devkit if you wanted to create a next gen-tier game. So Spencer is a little off on that one.

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
It is nice in theory, but the real question is what will MS's licensing fees be when you actually release a title when using the system as an SDK?

Likely 70/30 as it was on IG and as is on WMP/AppStore/Steam

I wish they'd be bold and do 80/20 or 85/15 just for greater adoption though

Aasir Osu

Neo Member
One point of confusion I would love to see cleared up now; in one of the linked interview articles, Marc Whitten says a developer can buy a regular dev kit now, and self-publish if they want to - but retail X1 into dev kit won't happen until next year.

But we have posters in this thread saying indy devs won't be able to self-publish until next year either. So, which is it?

Also, I imagine that the Xbox store on X1 will be like every other App store on other platforms; there will be a "Games" section, that will include all games, and there will likely be a "Media" or similarly titled section for media apps - like Netflix and Fart apps that the one poster is so obsessed with. It's just that everything will be under the "Store". I imagine that PS4 will be the same way. Is that not a good thing?

Is there some reason they have to act like this was always the plan?

To save some face?
For some people though, I guess it's easier to just ignore the consumer and indie developer backlash that happened since E3 and pretend everything has been part of the plan, features which might need a day1 patch or not be even be available at launch. This is called the "backup" plan, which microsoft has fallen back to after pissing a lot of people at e3.

Really though it's a technical impossibility to push the XB1 to the max by using a normal retail XB1. You HAVE to have a devkit if you wanted to create a next gen-tier game. So Spencer is a little off on that one.

Ah, okay. Thanks. I figured there would be some limitations to the retail unit doubling as a dev kit. Don't teal dev kits tend to have more RAM and other features that wouldn't be workable on a retail unit?

Cloud for multiplayer only is a mistake? So everything just as it is now is a mistake?

Planning on getting Destiny?

They give the tools.
Developers will decide to use those tools
and we the market can vote with our wallet.

He was saying that single player games could use the cloud if the developer wants it to. I think he misunderstood the question, like the guy was asking for Ms to block single players games from using the cloud. (When in fact the guy was asking for single player games to be playable offline)

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened

I still think there's separate app classes. (My prediction pre X1 reveal)

Make just an app or sidebar/ticker app and you get 3 GB

Make a game and you get 5 GB

What type of program you are making defines the available resources

Why did they deny this outright at the announcement of the system, then?

Probably because their PR messaging is terrible. Ihey should have laid out the plan for PR over the 5 months moving toward release and make the press aware it was stages and what the main talking points were going to be. When a question was asked that didn't fit the theme of the stage they should have deferred the question instead of make something odd up on the spot which seems like something they were doing.

Chobel

One point of confusion I would love to see cleared up now; in one of the linked interview articles, Marc Whitten says a developer can buy a regular dev kit now, and self-publish if they want to - but retail X1 into dev kit won't happen until next year.

But we have posters in this thread saying indy devs won't be able to self-publish until next year either. So, which is it?

Also, I imagine that the Xbox store on X1 will be like every other App store on other platforms; there will be a "Games" section, that will include all games, and there will likely be a "Media" or similarly titled section for media apps - like Netflix and Fart apps that the one poster is so obsessed with. It's just that everything will be under the "Store". I imagine that PS4 will be the same way. Is that not a good thing?

Both later, You can't get devkit unless you have a publisher.

jim2011

False, all WinRT apps will be in a crappy store nobody goes into.

I wrote that they announced that there is no separate store. THAT IS WHAT THEY ANNOUNCED.

Until they are proven otherwise, stop trying to spread misinformation. I get it, you don't like microsoft. If you don't have anything to contribute besides this kind of crap, get out of this thread.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
GB: But this isn’t a situation where, if you just pick up an Xbox One at Target, you’re only going to be able to access certain parts of the memory, certain parts of the graphics processor? This is going to allow you, at least eventually, once it’s all put into place, to be able to do everything that someone like Respawn is doing?

Whitten: That’s right.

This is actually impossible without the added hardware a devkit has. I'm not saying that games will be locked to a tiny fraction of the hardware but they won't be able to access all of it.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
Ah, okay. Thanks. I figured there would be some limitations to the retail unit doubling as a dev kit. Don't teal dev kits tend to have more RAM and other features that wouldn't be workable on a retail unit?

Indeed they do.

For those who don't know how that works, say I have a game that uses 4.5GB of RAM memory. This would be very easy to run on a retail XB1. However, when I debug the game/run it on a devkit, I need to run programs alongside the game to see how certain code is executed, details in the event of a crash, etc. So my game might require 5.5GB of RAM to debug, which wouldn't be possible on a retail XB1.

Could be very possible.

Gestault

Just from observation, CBOAT tends to make predictions which have already appeared elsewhere, and makes them vague enough (or simply ones that can't be verified because they're about what would have happened) that people adapt how they interpret it to the shape the policies take. Think about how people react to Nostradamus. This sounds like a case of him running afoul of real info. Especially since people within the media were aware of the accurate info before he made the new claim puts him in a particularly unflattering light (though the clarification about accessing system resources is newer).

(Assuming the stuff from the Klepek interview comes to fruition)

makes sense if its not a full fledged dev kit

Should be able to. Click the date of the tweet, takes you to its page.
do you mean details portion right beside the date... also once I'm on the tweets page I can't just right click and say copy image url like what I do with images and gifs :/

harSon

Banned
This is actually impossible without the added hardware a devkit has. I'm not saying that games will be locked to a tiny fraction of the hardware but they won't be able to access all of it.

True, but I imagine there aren't many Indie developers with the capability to push the hardware in such a way, and for those that can, they can always get a developer kit.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State

Someone make me a fantasy football ticker so I can keep track while gaming.

Based on Mario's post, it seems like Microsoft is being dragged kicking and screaming into making a decent console. At least most of their mistakes have been policy-related, thus they were able to announce, if not implement, any changes before launch, something Sony could not do with the ps3's expensive hardware in 2006.

Well, except for the whole weaker hardware for a higher price bit.

I'm glad to see so many platforms embracing indie titles.

What does that mean? you can change the price when you want too?
If so, good. They need to offer that since Sony (and I believe Nintendo) already do.

Apparently playing catchup constitutes as a big surprise for Microsoft these days.
When you eat nothing but shit for months, even a bowl of dry oatmeal seems like filet mignon.

But yeah, it's stunning how many "Xbox Won" and "Sony is doomed" comments I've seen. From a policy change that might put them on equal footing with their competitors.

Edit: I should add that I've seen those comments on other sites, not necessarily GAF.

JaggedSac

Just from observation, CBOAT tends to make predictions which have already appeared elsewhere, and makes them vague enough (or simply ones that can't be verified because they're about what would have happened) that people adapt how they interpret it to the shape the policies take. Think about how people react to Nostradamus. This sounds like a case of him running afoul of real info. Especially since people within the media were aware of the accurate info before he made the new claim puts him in a particularly unflattering light.

(Assuming the stuff from the Klepek interview comes to fruition)

He probably had correct info, but MS policies are also probably in great flux right now. But this whole retail units as devkits would certainly need infrastructure planned from the beginning so im not sure on just how much has changed.

Top Bottom