• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MS: Devs Could Make Scorpio Only Titles | (Update: Misspoke, no Scorpio exclusives)

Status
Not open for further replies.

nOoblet16

Devs can make tittles for both just like they could make cross gen titles...until they stopped.

Ofcourse that is going to happen with Scorpio too. Their no one left behind line was a farce anyway.

Blobbers

What happened to "boundless gaming without generations"
What happened to "no one gets left behind"

Did Phil Spencer literally blatantly lie to our face? Yeah, he pretty much did

I'm pretty sure the OP covers this. Backward and future compatible. No exclusive Scorpio games. Sony defence force on the offence?

Bobnob

I'm totally cool with scorpio only game's at 1080/60 looking mint! fuck 4k :p ,Just hope my elite controller and lg920 wheel work on scorpio.

c0de

Devs can make tittles for both just like they could make cross gen titles...until they stopped.

Ofcourse that is going to happen with Scorpio too. Their no one left behind line was a farce anyway.

Unless they force it on devs like ps4 but it seems they put it into the hands of devs and it's up to them to leave 20 million users behind.

jmdajr

Man. Going forward it's going to be better off buying these consoles on a staggered schedule.

Example. PS4->Scorpio->PS5(or whatever come after PS4K)

Not worth owing two similarly powerful consoles that are all going to be forward compatible anyway.

Harmen

It seems to me they can't decide if they want to go next gen or not (or make xbox a service for pc), so made an inbetween and let the sales/devs decide? That said, the One isn't doing too well, right? So I can understand MS going a different route and not just sitting this gen out while PS4 keeps getting stronger.

I hope the Neo will be a bit more clear cut high end PS4, with no implications to the base model over a normal console lifetime.

GodofWine

I know, liars...all of them...my old 386 can't run star citizen, that's bullshit.

GodofWine

Man. Going forward it's going to be better off buying these consoles on a staggered schedule.

Not worth owing two similarly powerful consoles that are all going to be forward compatible anyway.

Agreed, but to me, with Xbox gaming unity with pc , its more like PS4->upgrade pc-> Ps5-> upgrade pc

jet1911

I totally expect Halo 6 to launch with Scorpio as an exclusive. Maybe the XB1 will receive a redux version\MP only? But making a console a lot more powerful than the base XB1 and not having devs using that power to create exclusive games would be stuuuuupid.

Agreed, but to me, with Xbox gaming unity with pc , its more like PS4->upgrade pc-> Ps5-> upgrade pc

It's pretty cool that it's now possible.

MMaRsu

Banned

Yup.. either that or build a pc

I can't see there being many Scorpio-only titles unless they're VR games or smaller games because 1.) AAA games take longer than ever to make, and 2.) there wouldn't be enough time because of shortened cycles, and 3.) sales potential of your game.

I mean unless this thing REALLY takes off sales-wise, you'd be cutting out a large portion of people still left on the Xbone and Slim if you release a Scorpio game early on (within the first year or so). And if you make one later, you might as well put it on the inevitable upcoming system. You see how the cycle would continue over and over.

I have no doubt they'll eventually leave the OG Xbone in the dust, but it probably wouldn't be for the first few years and probably not until the next console after the Scorpio is known in some form.

otakukidd

I totally expect Halo 6 to launch with Scorpio as an exclusive. Maybe the XB1 will receive a redux versionMP only? But making a console a lot more powerful than the base XB1 and not having devs using that power to create exclusive games would be stuuuuupid.

It's pretty cool that it's now possible.
They actually said specifically halo 6 won't be exclusive

I didn't expect anything else to be honest. Microsoft, and Sony with Neo, need to be really clear in their messaging. This could get really confusing for consumers.

I didn't expect anything else to be honest. Microsoft, and Sony with Neo, need to be really clear in their messaging. This could get really confusing for consumers.

Aaron Greenberg just tweeted this

Great thing is with Project Scorpio as part of #XboxOne family all your games will work, no Scorpio exclusives, so no one gets left behind
https://twitter.com/aarongreenberg/status/742514933322027008

Didn't they learn ANYTHING?

Z3M0G

Not cool to read... but at least Scorpio should be a premium product and not the dominant platform... so it would be incredibly silly for a dev to make a Scorpio-only title.

LastNac

I feel there would be significantly wasted potential if we dont get to a point where there are Scorpio only titles.

diffusionx

Gold Member
I think market forces will lead early Scorpio titles to run on both, but eventually the switch will be made.

FWIW, I think the same will happen with Neo/PS4. I don't think you'll see Neo games in 2020 being forced to run on PS4.

Kayant

So first statement means XB1 library is forward-compatible but then saying "no Scorpio exclusives" means Scorpio titles are backward compatible with XB1 family no? meaning there shouldn't be VR only Scorpio titles or Scorpio exclusives titles in general but we know that's unlikely to be the case with VR because XB1 is unlikely to get VR compatibility so the statement is not completely true.

m_dorian

MS, for god's sake be straightforward this time. Give crystal clear answers and not PR ones.

Remember your past and do not repeat it.

Good. I don't know why people were agreeing to that nonsense of Scorpio exclusives. Ruins the entire point.

Actually, when we discussed pre-announcement about Scorpio, I had the feeling that most people were quite sure Scorpio would be a complete new generation ("big number"), rather than an upgrade.

The thing is, this is one of the most important devices the XBOX division will launch within the next two years and they just must not screw up their communication. If Greenberg can't handle this he's the wrong guy for the job.

Mooreberg

So first statement means XB1 library is forward-compatible but then saying "no Scorpio exclusives" means Scorpio titles are backward compatible with XB1 family no? meaning no there shouldn't be VR only Scorpio titles or Scorpio titles in general but we know that's not unlikely to be the case because XB1 is unlikely to get VR compatibility so the statement is not completely true.
VR already requires an additional hardware investment, so those games requiring Scorpio is not some kind of PR blunder. But the diameterically opposed statements from one rep vs. Greenberg's twitter regarding non-VR games is crazy. How is it this difficult to get people on the same page? This is the type of thing I'd expect from a company that has Japanese and American arms who are not getting the same information.

jelly

The only way there will be no Scorpio exclusives is 4K native basically sucking the Scorpio dry doing higher fidelity Xbox One/PS4 games. Nobody else think that is so pointless?

Halo 5 4K native, nicer effects. Does nobody want better than what Halo 6 will have to adhere to because it's on Xbox One for example.

pixelation

So what is the point?, no Scorpio exclusives not even by MS?, up to 3rd parties if they'd like to make Scorpio exclusive games?, what's their incentive?, if MS does not pay them handsomely to make an exclusive game they surely won't do it out of good will. All that power will be left with no use other than adding a few bells and whistles. Disappointing to say the least...

Does nobody bother reading the updated OP? o.0

My guess is they want to sell the idea of total forward compatibility to help protect ner term X1 sales while perhaps behind the scenes planning to have VR exclusive stuff for Scorpio that could be shown off next year when folks are moreso eager to get new tech.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom