• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MS: Devs Could Make Scorpio Only Titles | (Update: Misspoke, no Scorpio exclusives)

Status
Not open for further replies.

JaggedSac

Well, that's good. Now developers at least don't need to be held back by a 1.2 TF baseline if they don't want to.

Well...

https://twitter.com/aarongreenberg/status/742514933322027008

Great thing is with Project Scorpio as part of #XboxOne family all your games will work, no Scorpio exclusives, so no one gets left behind

This is not true at all. Microsoft hid DX12 behind its Windows 10 platform and is hiding its games behind the UWP walled garden. That's not PC gaming at large and that's not exactly developing for PC. That's developing for UWP. Doom running on Vulkan as comfortably as is is a testament to how good it will be.

It will be available on ALL PCs, from older Windows to Linux. And yes, MS IS scared shitless of Vulkan because losing their API monopoly would completely FUCK them. They sat on their asses for a decade before going "oh we need to get our shit together wtf is this Mantle thing". They singlehandedly held back PC gaming for a decade. Vulkan is the future.

UWP is an attempt to make Windows relevant in a world where iOS and Android/Chrome are quickly becoming capable of being used for productivity. MS is merely leveraging XBox in an attempt to garner interest in the platform.

If you asked Nadella what he thought about SteamOS or Vulkan, he would likely say "What are those things?"

Greenberg is a professional bullshiter, so that quote means nothing. Seems like X1 will be put down like a sick dog.

And people are praising it, lmao.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
they should make it optional - because a publisher is not likely to ignore the XB1 install base unless the game absolutely needs the power of scorpio to work.

The only caveat they should have is to ban any dual-skus. You can't make a separate version for Scorpio and for XB1 - if you want to be on both, its one box, one digital purchase that works on both.

Ushay

they should make it optional - because a publisher is not likely to ignore the XB1 install base unless the game absolutely needs the power of scorpio to work.

The only caveat they should have is to ban any dual-skus. You can't make a separate version for Scorpio and for XB1 - if you want to be on both, its one box, one digital purchase that works on both.

I think thats the intention with 'Xbox Everywhere'

link1201

Seems like a misstatement from this person. They seem very adamant the three devices will be compatible.

Best of all, Xbox One, Xbox One S and Project Scorpio will all be compatible. All Xbox One games and accessories will play on each device. It’s very important to us that no one gets left behind, which is a big part of why we view Project Scorpio as a new way of thinking about consoles and generations.
http://news.xbox.com/2016/06/13/phil-spencer-gaming-without-boundaries/#oX9GJ9hg0WQuItK0.99

It begins. The fear of everyone. These mid-generation console upgrades, will it leave folks behind? There is a possibility if a game simply cannot run well in current hardware. Phil clearly said "no gamer left behind", then what is this?

It should not be up to the game development community. It should be a standard set somewhere. Last thing you want is people searching the boxart for "Only on Xbox Scorpio", or whatever releases after.

Seems like a misstatement from this person. They seem very adamant the three devices will be compatible.

http://news.xbox.com/2016/06/13/phil-spencer-gaming-without-boundaries/#oX9GJ9hg0WQuItK0.99

Yeah. It's barely been 24 hours and we are already seeing statements falling flat.

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
They're planning to split the userbase? Well that's... brave.

The developers are splitting the userbase if they do so, not MS.

Then again, the developers are already splitting their overall userbase in a way, everytime they make their games exclusive to a platform.

I think the market will dictate Scorpio only games, not devs themselves. They'll probably put in the extra work to offer a low/med/high mode so that it works across three platforms. It just depends on how much extra work they are willing to do and how much the X1 will hold back the game on higher-end systems.

I have a feeling it will be the same way the PCs work. Don't almost all games nowadays release on PC as well? Developers have done this before and at least they will have a HW set to work off of rather than the jumble that is PC.

Vintage

By the time Scorpio releases you'll beg for Scorpio-only titles. Nobody wanted cross-gen games while transitioning to current gen.

IvorB

The developers are splitting the userbase if they do so, not MS.

Then again, the developers are already splitting their overall userbase in a way, everytime they make their games exclusive to a platform.

MS is splitting their install base by releasing a new Xbox that is not 100% cross-compatible with the original.

Bgamer90

Banned
It will be a big mistake if the Xbox Scorpio has exclusive titles during the system's first 3-4 years of life.

Hopefully this statement is just referring to VR only titles. If so then that would make sense.

FacelessSamurai

..but cry so much I wish I had some
MS is splitting their install base by releasing a new Xbox that is not 100% cross-compatible with the original.
It is 100% compatible, what are you even talking about? They are only saying that developers do have a choice so I guess they won't be enforcing any policies or anything like that. You literally have no details and yet you are already making assumptions...

Coxy100

Banned
why is everyone making such a big deal about this. It's obvious she misspoke - microsoft would be made to make exclusives for it

I actually like this more than PS4's "must be on both" strategy. It lets the players decide when we're ready to commit to Scorpio as the new standard and allows devs to respond accordingly. I'm just thankful as hell that I can play all my games on it. That's huge.

Why are we still hanging on to a vague quote in a interview (which can mean it's just VR only) to they flat out saying and explaining with all the care in the world that games are required to support xbox one as well?

Zedox

It will be a big mistake if the Xbox Scorpio has exclusive titles during the system's first 3-4 years of life.

Hopefully this statement is just referring to VR only titles. If so then that would make sense.

That would be the thing that makes sense. I think that one person just misspoke or just talking VR cuz everyone else that has been talking has been saying the same thing about it all working together. We'll know more about MS' vr stuff in the fall with Windows Holographic.

JABEE

why is everyone making such a big deal about this. It's obvious she misspoke - microsoft would be made to make exclusives for it

She is the General Manager of Global Publishing who most likely knows publishing requirements and how they will evolve.

kinoki

Illness is the doctor to whom we pay most heed; to kindness, to knowledge, we make promise only; pain we obey.
By the time Scorpio releases you'll beg for Scorpio-only titles. Nobody wanted cross-gen games while transitioning to current gen.

Scorpio will have an easier time at launch due to having access to the XBO library. But, at what point would that audience want to play titles that aren't cross-generation? And at what point would developers be able to make a profit from excluding the XBO? It's an interesting situation that becomes a larger issue in relation to the delta in power between iterations. We'll have to wait and see.

Ponn

Banned

I'm out of console gaming it it becomes 2-3 year console cycles. It's that simple. That or the NX becomes mighty appealing.

IvorB

It is 100% compatible, what are you even talking about? They are only saying that developers do have a choice so I guess they won't be enforcing any policies or anything like that. You literally have no details and yet you are already making assumptions...

If there is softrware for one that does not run on the other then it's not 100% cross-compatible. If all software available runs on both then it's 100% cross-compatible.

NHale

Thats what they said at the conference as well. Anything else would be crazy. I think this spokesperson is confused.

Shannon was confused because clearly there wasn't much preparation regarding this. You can't seriously announce a new platform and expect that any games media member worth anything will not make questions about your new shiny thing, so while I understand that the head of 1st party publishing might not be the best person to ask questions about "Development guidelines for new platform", Microsoft should have never put her in that position completely unprepared like it seems she was. At least have Aaron Greenberg with her, since it's his job.

The end of that segment if you watch is her struggling to give a clear answer and say this to Geoff "Let's talk about this next year, ok?" and Geoff says something like "I'm sure we are. At least I hope so."

otakukidd

The way I see it you won't see exclusive Scorpio games till the ps5 is out. All multi platform games have to work on the og ps4 since that is a requirement for the ps4k and since you are putting it on for ps4 there's no reason not to make it compatible for the one. Microsoft probably won't do it considering it would lead to a huge backlash from one owners about why is it only Microsoft funded games that are exclusive. The only thing you might see a handful of indie games that want to say hey looks it's a 4k game please buy me. So it's not really the one holding Scorpio back it's really the ps4 bwhahahaha.

Edit: oh yeah vr games those will be exclusive also but that's about it.

Metfanant

Truly sounds like MS has decided that the OGbone was a complete screw up on their part...at this point I'm really struggling to find a point in the S...other than as a cheap entry into the 4k media market...

I'd wager by the time Scorpio comes around in ~18 months it will be completely rebranded and move away from the Xbox One name altogether...

Let's take a look at what is being said:

Greenberg:
Great thing is with Project Scorpio as part of #XboxOne family all your games will work, no Scorpio exclusives, so no one gets left behind
Shannon Loftis:
Q: So it sounds like there won't be any games that would ship that would be Scorpio only right?

A: I don't know about that. We'll see. It's up to the game development community.

Can both of these statements exist at the same time? I think the answer is potentially yes. Microsoft's goal is to not cause fear or anger that their Xbox One is becoming obsolete, so there's some extremely careful wording being used. They want to assure people who may be purchasing an XB1 in the future that it will still be a viable gaming platform in a couple of years.

He's my interpretation of what is being said: All Xbox One games will work on all systems in the Xbox One family, which includes XB1, XB1S, and Scorpio. There will be no games in the Xbox One family exclusive to Scorpio. There may games on Scorpio that are not part of the Xbox One family of games, and those would then be exclusive to Scorpio. It's up to developers what audience they want to reach when putting their game out.

We know Scorpio will get VR, and they've already confirmed XB1 will not be compatible with VR, in which case those games and exclusives would be exclusive [to Scorpio].

rokkerkory

They're planning to split the userbase? Well that's... brave.

Did you not hear 'no one will be left behind' ?

For the next few years at least, all games will work across all xbox one systems including OG, S and Scorpio.

Maybe yeaaars down the road when OG / S is old in tooth, they will stop supporting it. By that time Scorpio will be a weak ass system and new iterations are here.

Qassim

Outside of VR, people need to remember developers are very unlikely to target just Scorpio for the same reason developers don't just target high end PCs.

If you're on a platform where reducing the baseline experience is possible (e.g. on a PC, and now on Xbox/PS) and increase your addressable audience by tens of millions of people (e.g. 40m+ on the PS4)... then it'll likely be rare that developers won't do that.

Whether or not developers choose to target the Scorpio by itself will depend on how fast adoption is and how much of a percentage Scorpio owners make up of the game-buying audience of the Xbox One.

For example, it could be that developers begin to move away from making their games compatible with the original Xbox One when 80% of the game buying audience is on newer iterations.

Microsoft with screwy contradictory messaging during e3... I feel so nostalgic for 2013! I'm going to listen to some Robin Thicke and pretend to have a gluten allergy!

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Contradicts what was said at e3, I'll wait for clarification. Plus, that wasn't the most confident response

He read the Patrick Klepek (Sony/Devs) tweet then, responded. ;)

MSFT confusing messages at an E3, say it ain't so! /s

It is becoming frustrating at this point.

If some games are not forward compatible besides exceptions like VR, then it will really have been a four year life cycle for the XB1.

There is no way that consoles will be sustainable if thats the case.

Why, its like some of you guys forget how games are done on pcs.

Good. No need to have the hardware held back by 1.3TF.

and this, i do wonder what for rendering techniques Microsoft and devs will come up with to
get 4k@60fps or 30fps going on scorpio you so more and more games applying reconstruction techniques like Quantum break.

For the next few years at least, all games will work across all xbox one systems including OG, S and Scorpio.

Maybe yeaaars down the road when OG / S is old in tooth, they will stop supporting it. By that time Scorpio will be a weak ass system and new iterations are here.

Wouldn't be surprised that they will make it mandatory to only support consoles that are younger then 5 years.

A lot of this depends on what MS mandate (if anything) to developers.

I could see a scenario where 2017 Scorpio launches with Halo 6 and Forza 7 etc @ 4k, whilst it still plays on the Xbone but at sub-1080p res.

If this is the case, then it would be reasonably fair for consumers - the hardcore can get the new shiny 'best' version of the game, but the Xbone users can still play it.

However, does anyone really think that if Epic or Crytek etc say to MS we want to max out the Scorpio and make a AAA must-have exclusive, that MS are going to say, 'Sorry guys, no can do'???

I for one can't see it, and why give devs 6TF+ if they can't decide what to do with it?

This is a new console plain and simple, unless they can somehow provide 'downscaling' functions to devs to make Scorpio-targetted games downscale to the Xbone. I'm not sure if that is even feasible...

IvorB

I don't know about 'no one left behind'. I'm going based off the OP to this thread which says that devs are free to exclusively target the stronger machine. That's quite a marked shift from Sony's position.

Really this whole thing is a complete sh*t show. Who even knows what these platform holders are doing? Is MS trying to start a new gen next year? Is Sony srapping gens all together? What is Nintendo even doing anymore? It's a dramatic change from the way things have run for decades and yet the consumer is being updated with ad hoc annoucenemts and so-called "leaks". I'm gonna be keeping a tight grip on my wallet until I see how all this plays out. I don't fancy owning the next Sega CD.

Freeman

Banned

For the next year at least... Scorpio will barely make it to next year.

Cat is out of the bag, the Ms executive spilled the beans on a interview, we saw it in the past they change what they say like it ain't nothin.

c0de

For the next year at least... Scorpio will barely make it to next year.

Cat is out of the bag, the Ms executive spilled the beans on a interview, we saw it in the past they change what they say like it ain't nothin.

Barely make it to next year? Please elaborate.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom