• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MS: Devs Could Make Scorpio Only Titles | (Update: Misspoke, no Scorpio exclusives)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Update -

codsm4wqpjbm7utxmnc0.jpg

From the interview the Youtube live stream had with Shannon Loftis (GM of game publishing at MS). First I've heard one way or the other on this subject, figure folk may be interested if this wasn't already covered.

-So it sounds like there won't be any games that would ship that would be Scorpio only right?

-I don't know about that. We'll see. It's up to the game development community.

There was also confirmation XB1 games can be scaled up (to 4K?) for Scorpio.

Game developers that are writing games...if they want to ship the game sooner if they enable dynamic scaling the game will automatically look better on Scorpio

Well, there it is. I'm sure most devs will target the larger base, but I can see some 1st and 2nd party titles made for scorpio.

LewieP

Wow, that wasn't the suggestion from the initial reveal.

Edit: I think most devs would probably just ship an awful version on Xbox One too, rather than skip the userbase.

Ape

Banned
Contradicts what was said at e3, I'll wait for clarification. Plus, that wasn't the most confident response

Jarmel

Banned
Well I guess it's good that developers aren't inherently shackled to the Xbone but most publishers will release for all available platforms anyway.

STEaMkb

This is the opposite of Sony's expressed intent: all future games must work on both the PS4 and PS4 Neo. No exclusives.

This suggests that the new systems have dissimilar aims and goals. Scorpio is a departure from Xbox One, whereas Neo is an extension of the PS4.

Bsigg12

Obviously the VR games fall into that category. It'll be interesting to see outside of those who goes the Scorpio only route.

So 100% backwards compatible, and mostly forwards compatible?

I'm okay with this.

Doesn't forwards compatible mean that your games and accessories just go forward with you when you upgrade? I always thought it was almost interchangeable with backwards compatible.

Well, there it is. I'm sure most devs will target the larger base, but I can see some 1st and 2nd party titles made for scorpio.

I think as long as the rumor that Sony is outright banning developers from making games that only run on the Neo is true then we'll only see that from first/second-party games, and even that's unlikely.

Mezoly

Make sense. 2 years after Scorpio comes out, Xbox one will be 6 years old and you got to drop support at some point.

Alex

I'd still be more concerned with devs phoning in the original edition versions than producing nothing at all.

Miles X

Oh for fuck's sake.

The Madness begins...

I mean if this is the way forward, blurred genertions/no more generations, then XB1 is gonna have to get left behind at some point ....

I assume the reason for no XB1 port of a game will be the Scorpio version being too ... demanding. But then isn't that what you would want out of a powerful system?

This ultimately will depend on whether or not Sony will allow NEO only games or not. If they don't then this is non-news as I doubt any devs will make games only for Scorpio. But if Sony does then fuck everything about these consoles.

neptunes

There will be growing pains until most devs make scalable games/engines.

Make one Xbox game that scales well across all platforms.

So the SDK already features Scorpio features for Devs?

Would be awesome if i start up Battlefield 1 on Scorpio and i see a almost completly different game with way better IQ, Effects etc

People need to realize that this IS the xbone successor. It will likely be priced like it too. This is completely different than what Sony is doing.

I don't think it's the right strategy for MS but that's what it is.

XAL

So.

Is this like, a brand new console gen?

Or is it just a specced up version of the XBO? A genuine + 0.5?

Azalean

Banned
Doesn't forwards compatible mean that your games and accessories just go forward with you when you upgrade? I always thought it was almost interchangeable with backwards compatible.

It means that games released after Scorpio is released will still be compatible with the standard Xbox One.

Wollan

ESRAM hasn't made BC (w/XB1, or forwards compatibility w/Scorpio) totally smooth going I suspect.

Puts a damper on Xbox One S knowing it won't play all Scorpio games.

This is getting closer to a console shift then iterative.

So either games shackled to Xbo limitations or abandoning the Xb1 and going exclusive.

This is going to be a clusterfuck. There is just too big a power delta between the two devices.

MrS

Banned
So.

Is this like, a brand new console gen?

Or is it just a specced up version of the XBO? A genuine + 0.5?
Seems like a brand new console gen. Bit of a clusterfuck if Sony doesn't go along with it and PS4.5 is only a little bit better than the PS4. Chaos for devs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom