• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mushihimesama announced for Steam!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kumubou

Cave shooters? On PC? It's still weird reading that.

Mushihimesama is about as good of a pick as anything to start with, between the overall quality of the game and its difficulty curve.

I need to find a good stick for PC since all these games are coming.
Honestly, any X360 or PS4 stick should work without issues on a PC nowadays, and most of them use identical parts. I know there are some specific preferences for buttons and sticks for shumps, but you can worry about that down the road (and they're relatively easy to swap out, anyway).

Tain

PCs don't upscale well, so native support for high resolution would be key. Sprite based games look super crisp when upscaled correctly.

The 360 version this is surely based on has pretty good display options, and I think that Cave's 360 ports actually display at both 1080p and 720p depending on the system settings. That is, their menus and wallpaper and stuff render at 1080p. So while the games are low-res, you can at least get nicer upscaling on a 1080p display and you aren't stuck with a 720p buffer.

What I'm getting at is that hopefully this bodes well for flexible PC resolution support, lol.

@MUWANdo

Banned
Why do these type of games all only use a vertical part of the screen? Is it just tradition, or is it just common for people to rotate their monitors to play?

These games are designed for arcade machines with vertically-oriented monitors, basically, and the vast majority of modern ports all have options for vertically-oriented screens, too.

Some games do make an effort to at least put scoring info or other data on either side of the screen.

That's a long ass word.

"Bug Princess"!

hopefully the steam version has 1.5, it's super fun and having it locked behind first print bonuses for the 360 version was extremely ungood

The site mentions additional DLC, so it'll probably be a separate purchase.

MrDoctor

So it was what I guessed. Not a bad first choice, either. Need to know if this will include the HD assets from the 360 version.

hongcha

I was hoping for another game. Already played this one on my PS2 and Xbox 360, and the scoring system is not my cup of tea.

Nickle

Cool Facts: Game of War has been a hit since July 2013
They're ports of arcade games that used 4:3 monitors rotated sideways. It makes sense to use a vertical aspect ratio for an arcade-based vertical scrolling game (to maximize active play area size in a dedicated machine and all).
That makes sense, I wasn't sure if this was a new game or not.

Momentary

Banned
Is Matsuri the same thing as people who call it 1.5?

Man I hope we get Futari, Akai Katana, and DoDonPachi SaiDaiOuJou

Ketsui would be nice as well.

LiK

Is Matsuri the same thing as people who call it 1.5?

Man I hope we get Futari, Akai Katana, and DoDonPachi SaiDaiOuJou

Ketsui would be nice as well.

I'm betting anything they ported to 360 will end up on Steam eventually. Woo

shockdude

Exciting stuff, have yet to experience a Cave shooter on a platform other than smartphone, and I look forward to playing one with digital controls.
Why do these type of games all only use a vertical part of the screen? Is it just tradition, or is it just common for people to rotate their monitors to play?
Part of it has to do with arcade-style tradition, part of it has to do with gameplay balance and design. Crimzon Clover is an example of a recent bullet hell developed for PC with a vertical play area.
A few games like Jamestown are designed around the full width of 16:9 monitors. Others like Jigoku Kisetsukan implement a vertical play area and utilize the remaining screen space in a clever manner.
ss_1454d76a2be0632471fcd5b3b0bb5a2c74753cde.1920x1080.jpg
ss_427c3a024c87d8a8cbd6ffe585e409e78b7a535c.1920x1080.jpg
ss_6135a4b7b080ce7d205206de12122cf0e9896227.1920x1080.jpg

Wonko_C

I'm not really into Mushi a lot so while I'm happy to see Cave games finally coming to the PC, I was hoping for Ketsui or DDP Daioujou...

But I'll buy this and play the hell of out of it anyway!

@MUWANdo

Banned
The official press release is out and it confirms Version 1.5 will be released as DLC, as will the soundtrack.

The base game will cost $19.99.

Tain

The holy grail for dudes who bought the 360 games (or me at least) is Ibara, as that's the unemulated game that still needs a home port. It's also probably the last game they'd port, lol. Here's hoping!

Snakebee

Neo Member
I came so hard right now that I almost died. Might as well give those guys my credit card, I consume everything they put out.

Hopefully they will get to deathsmiles, my only regret selling my 360.

The text from the press release for ref

Game Features:
● Explore a beautiful fantasy world rendered in stunning HD sprite graphics. 5 stages, including an arid desert, lush forests, and a serene underground cave.
● Many different game modes, including:
◦ Normal Mode: A faithful port of the original arcade version. This is the first time that the original arcade version has been localized outside Japan.
◦ Arrange Mode: A remixed version of the game with different enemy positions and shot patterns for a completely new experience.
◦ Novice Mode: A version of the game tuned for newcomers and relaxed game play.
● Most of the game's modes can be played in multiple difficulties, from the newbie friendly Original to the notoriously difficult Ultra, which has a reputation as one of the most challenging games of this type.
● Energetic soundtrack by famed composers Manabu Namiki and Masaharu Iwata. The soundtrack will be available as a DLC.
● Online leaderboards and downloadable replays allow you to share your games or check out the top scores.
● DLC: Mushihimesama 1.5 will be available as DLC. This is another remixed version of the game that was previously available only to a select few players who had first-edition copies of the Xbox 360 version, but is now presented to the general Steam audience.

More CAVE games will be coming to Steam soon too!
Stay tuned for an interview with CAVE’s famous SHMUP Director Tsuneki Ikeda at the Tokyo Game Show on Sept 20th, 2015. The interview begins at 14:00 JPT on the Tokyo Otaku Mode channel: http://www.youtube.com/tokyootakumode

Product Details:
Platform: PC, Windows
Players: 1P & 2P local co-op supported
Release Quarter: Winter 2015
Expected Price: 19.99 USD

Tain

Don't be sad. Mushihimesama is an AWESOME shoot'em up.

I'm very glad this comes to Steam.
Sadly it's a bit too expensive for my taste. It's only $15 on iOS devices. Why is it more expensive on Steam all of a sudden?

Cave's iOS games are different games on a mechanical level. The 360 releases were also more well-rounded.

Shaneus

Not price whining (well, kinda) but $20USD = ~$30AUD which is a little out of "justifiable" range, sadly. Will have to wait for our dollar to get better first. Or a discount.

@MUWANdo

Banned
I do think anything above $15 takes it out of impulse territory for most people but if it's discounted/bundled even half as heavily as Crimzon Clover it won't mean much in the long run.

Momentary

Banned
Well.. there will be sales, but there are A LOT of shmup fans who are ready for this and they know it. Getting a legit used version of this game is around 90 bucks. You can probably nab ones with out cases for 44 bucks.

But you're right, people who aren't THAT in to shmups will probably pass this by.

GamerJM

Banned
This is a different game than Mushihimesama Futari right? I thought Futari was the sequel on the 360 and this was on PS2. I love Futari so I'll definitely try it out.

@MUWANdo

Banned
This is a different game than Mushihimesama Futari right? I thought Futari was the sequel on the 360 and this was on PS2. I love Futari so I'll definitely try it out.

Yeah, Futari is the sequel.

OG Mushihimesama was ported to PS2 and X360, and the Steam version is based off the X360 version.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom