• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

My fucking Sony account got hacked.

hwy_61

Banned
People. PEOPLE. LISTEN UP.

REMOVE YOUR GODDAMN MOTHERFUCKING PAYMENT INFO FROM PSN.

Good luck OP. You have my sympathies.

There are a few out there but I've only used one, 1Password. I can't really comment on any of the other but I assume they do the same stuff.

Yep, I use LastPass with 2 factor. Really made life easier, and passwords MUCH more secure as they are totally randomized, long, and unique per site.

yep, checked my account, and nothing is out of norm, but had payment info saved, removed that with a quickness.

Capella

And if I want to log in on a computer that doesn't have the password manager installed? Or on a device that can't install the password manager, like a PS4?

Password managers are only a reasonable solution in certain situations.

I'm pretty sure all of the password managers I listed are also available on phones and tablets so you can take it with you if you are away from your computer and need to use passwords on other devices.

It's not a perfect solution but considering the amount of data breaches lately (https://twitter.com/haveibeenpwned) it's a good one.

I'm checking the list of activated systems I have on the account site. Can anyone confirm if the PSTV is considered a Vita? I have 2 Vitas activated even though I only own 1.

Shingro

They got me too, Sony said they would "Investigate" and in the event of a confirmed hack, I had two choices, either I would get the 150$ of games charged back as wallet dollars in 2 days, or they could get the money back on my card in 2-3 MONTHS

Either way they said this is a one time thing on an account basis.

I like Sony, but their security is a well known joke in the computer security industry, and I feel real bad about the way they deal with compromised accounts.

Don't save your payment info.

zma1013

Speaking of passwords and all that, what are the good password managers people use? I've never used one before.

OmegaDL50

I'm pretty sure all of the password managers I listed are also available on phones and tablets so you can take it with you if you are away from your computer and need to use passwords on other devices.

It's not a perfect solution but considering the amount of data breaches lately (https://twitter.com/haveibeenpwned) it's a good one.

Yep. LastPass works with a mobile phone, you can log into PSN via mobile phone.

Same with your laptop and PC.

There is no need to memorize passwords when one can just pull up their unique password list on their phone / tablet and have it right there in front of you without needing to write it down.

Some times convenience is nice to have, but when it comes to the cost of having an account compromised. The security is a far better alternative.

Better safe than sorry I say.

SugarDave

Yeah, these threads are popping up a little too frequently now. I'm gonna delete my payment information. Hope everything gets resolved quickly, OP.

Redd

Until Sony fixes their problems with a two step process ffs use prepaid cards and don't store your bank or credit identification on your consoles people. Thieves are out there and you're playing fucking Russian Roulette.

poodaddy

I've had the following accounts hacked and taken from me by subhuman pussies in Russia: GOG, PSN, Google, and GMG. Two of those mentioned have implemented two step security protocols and it helped a lot. What the fuck is Sony doing man? Also, fuck hackers seriously.

komplanen

Why does this keep popping up on GAF? Sony needs to fix their security protocols.

Are you sure it's because of Sony's security protocols, though?

Hackers get usernames and passwords from several places and if people are... ehm... not-very-clever, they use the same username and pass for many services.

Endo Punk

Why don't people learn to never keep credit card details on psn. I delete everytime I add money to the account. Never risk these things.

hwy_61

Banned
Why don't people learn to never keep credit card details on psn. I delete everytime I add money to the account. Never risk these things.

Ever since the great outage of whatever the fuck year that was, just never again, man. Boggles my mind that people still save their CC info

JMY86

I had my CC info saved until a few weeks ago when my PSN account password was changed (not by me). I was lucky enough to be able to change my login and password before any damage was done. I immediately removed all payment info. I will NEVER let my CC info on PSN be saved again.

spwolf

Not having 2 factor authentication is laughable. They just seem so clueless after suffering such a damaging original hack. Steam has it. Uplay has it. Microsoft has it. Even Origin, which everyone loves to shit on, has 2 factor authentication. Yeah. Sony does a worse job than EA.

Microsoft 2way sucks compared to Googles though. If they just do email like almost everyone else, it is not a bih step forward.

They should set it up so psplus owners get sms.

Whatever you do, don't do a charge back.

What gaf needs to do as a collective is tweet shu and Shawn Leyden and get these guys to fix Sony's customer service problems.

They are the industry leader now because of us and they treat us like a piece of shit. So many threads recently it's insane.

It's a difficult thing because they have no protection against chargebacks other than to do one of two things.

Ban the person doing the chargeback so that they can't do it again.

Or

Make it so you can't boot digital content without signing in to psn to verify the purchase.

It would be too easy to buy $500 in new retail games and then take the system offline, chargeback, and play through the games while never bringing the system back online, then create a new account and repeat.

They have to take steps to protect their own business and the third party partners.

The thing is they need to have good customer service for people who have legitimate issues and want to have the fraudulent licenses revoked and purchases refunded.

Vex_

Banned
Interesting that this happens so frequently... Sony is taking their time with this two factor authentication. Security should be priority 1 right now for them. Especially considering their history with these types of things.

Priority 2 should be them ditching their proprietary sound format so modding can happen on the ps4 :p

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Someone deauthorized my PlayStation! Luckily I was able to change the pass immediately but I've contacted Sony twice and they haven't done shit for me!!

diaspora

Are you sure it's because of Sony's security protocols, though?

Hackers get usernames and passwords from several places and if people are... ehm... not-very-clever, they use the same username and pass for many services.

Two-factor would stop this.

statham

Microsoft 2way sucks compared to Googles though. If they just do email like almost everyone else, it is not a bih step forward.

They should set it up so psplus owners get sms.

sucks? how so? I literally get a text the moment I hit the button, how much simpler can it get?

Two-factor would stop this.

It's not cheap or 100% reliable though either. It's all about cost benefit analysis with any company. I've heard up to 15% of SMS verification texts fail because of network issues or just simply having the wrong number on file. How many people use their real phone number on psn? How do you verify it isn't being spoofed by the hackers? How much volume is this new feature driving to their customer phone support?

I think a blizzard style authenticator on your phone would be best because they already have a PlayStation app. Idk why that isn't an option. It seems like it would cause less issues. Make it voluntary and if you don't opt in and use it then take the hardline stance on refunds and chargebacks.

I just unlinked my PayPal now and I will probably start using a password manager. I received an email alert from Amazon about a week ago forcing me to change my password because they had reason to my information had been compromised. Should probably take this security issue seriously BEFORE something bad happens.

diaspora

It's not cheap or 100% reliable though either. It's all about cost benefit analysis with any company. I've heard up to 15% of SMS verification texts fail because of network issues or just simply having the wrong number on file. How many people use their real phone number on psn? How do you verify it isn't being spoofed by the hackers? How much volume is this new feature driving to their customer phone support?

I think a blizzard style authenticator on your phone would be best because they already have a PlayStation app. Idk why that isn't an option. It seems like it would cause less issues. Make it voluntary and if you don't opt in and use it then take the hardline stance on refunds and chargebacks.

I said two factor. I didn't specify SMS. Both Steam and Origin have the capacity to implement app authentication- Sony not doing so in inexcusable.

AmuroChan

So it's not their fault because it hasn't happened to you?

Some of the posts in this thread. Rarely see this with MS, Steam or even Nintendo. It's always Sony accounts getting hacked and it is a regular occurence.

Where the fuck is two step?

Unless Sony was hacked or released this person's login info without permission, they can't be held responsible legally. And that's a fact. If OP tries to sue Sony for this, the case would be thrown out before it gets anywhere.

Not having 2FA is a separate issue. Obviously Sony should have that in order to beef up their security, but it's also not illegal to not have it.

This happened to my friend a couple of weeks ago. i used the live support chat and got his account back within minutes. I just told them someone hacked my account bought nba 2k16 and changed the password. She asked about the account nickname, and email attached to it only (I wasn't asked about the address or date of birth or serial number etc...)

She then sent an email to reset password and that was that. Hell my friend kept nba 2k16 too. It was weird that his account got stolen in the first place considering he doesn't play online or buy digital games.

This was my experience as well a couple months back.

RootCause

This is scary. I don't have payment info, but the thought of losing my purchased games is nuts.

Seriously, they need to get working on 2 way verification.

Shaneus

DON'T STORE PAYMENT INFO ON PSN

I'm sorry but until Sony gets into the 21st century, nobody should be storing payment info on their network. PSN cards only.
Yup. I never kept it on there, but I still got hacked and had FIFA cards bought with the $60 credit I had on there from prepaid cards. Bullshit Sony never refunded anything :/

zephry

I am not sure if it's related but I was just informed that the card that I use for PSN exclusively (PSN Visa Card from CapitalOne) is currently locked due to multiple failed login attempt.

The only times my credit card information was stolen are related to PSN. 5 years ago someone charged $5000 to my Amex linked to PSN. And now someone maybe trying to pull the same stunt it seems.

diablos991

Can’t stump the diablos
Blows me away how many people keep financial info tied to these accounts. Any quick Google search or paying attention to the industry would prove that to be a terrible idea.

Use prepaid cards and cross this worry off the list.

I am not sure if it's related but I was just informed that the card that I use for PSN exclusively (PSN Visa Card from CapitalOne) is currently locked due to multiple failed login attempt.

The only times my credit card information was stolen are related to PSN. 5 years ago someone charged $5000 to my Amex linked to PSN. And now someone maybe trying to pull the same stunt it seems.

So after the first time of getting railed for $5k you put another card on there? Wtf?

Atomski

Their policies dealing with compromised accounts is terrible
Can't believe we have people here on Sony's side..

Yes people make mistakes with their passwords. The thing is though it should be easier to fix those mistakes. If your account gets hacked you should be able to fight back with your credit card company. But if you charge back Sony will ban your account and you will lose access to all your digital games and shit. That's fucking bullshit.

Not to mention Sony should have added some more security options years ago. These types of account theft have been happening long before the ps4 was announced..

Goldenhen

I have received email from Steam support letting me know there was bunch of attempted log in from Russia and Ukraine over time.

Thankfully I have Steam Guard on my iPhone.

But all my important accounts has unique password from 1Password.

LUXURY

Yeah, people have to do this no matter how inconvient it is. I'd never ever put my credit card information on any console or app. You can get cards for most services through Amazon or other means. Simply not safe. Wishing you the best with getting this handled.

Megatron

For god's sake people, take your fucking payment info off your psn account. Buy the digital psn cards from Amazon whenever you want to buy something. I understand main streamers not knowing better, but there's a thread like this every month.Gaffers should know better!

zephry

Blows me away how many people keep financial info tied to these accounts. Any quick Google search or paying attention to the industry would prove that to be a terrible idea.

Use prepaid cards and cross this worry off the list.

So after the first time of getting railed for $5k you put another card on there? Wtf?

It was mainly out of convenience. Plus I am not responsible for fraudulent charges. I will be calling the card company to get more detail about what happened.

Top Bottom