• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

My Gamestop has over 600 preorders for the PS4 (Sold out until February)

daman824

this pisses me off. Why would they take 600 pre orders when they are only getting 15 at launch? If I don't get my pre order at launch like I was promised, im canceling it and buying the first next gen system I can find.

fucking gamestop

The Lamp

I'm sorry but I don't believe it.

My store has 66 preorders (We actually have more Xbone reserves)
We are a town with 1 gamestop in the 15 mile area, a town of 30,000 with several smaller towns nearby where we are the closest gamestop.

In a town of 100,000 you probably have at least 2 gamestops if not more to supply units to. I don't believe for a second that one store was allocated 600 units for preorder. There simply is not enough square footage in an average gamestop to store 600 consoles (And that is just PS4, not to mention XBONE, 360, PS3, Wii, Wii U and Preowned consoles, and Holiday shipments)

I can answer you right now why he told you 600 on the phone...Because he wants the consoles out of the store (And out of his stockroom), he told you a higher number to give you an idea of the kind of demand surrounding them to incentivize you to pick up your order day one.

I've heard it so many times where employees tell whatever lie they can to either get you off the phone or pick up your reserve or whatever... It also could have been a new employee who knows absolutely dick about the numbers and just made up a number...

I'm not saying there isn't that kind of demand, but the supply and space just simply aren't there.

I believe it, I guess. In my town of 100k there were over 350 Pokemon X/Y pre-orders at Gamestop.

qko

Depending on how much demand there is on eBay, I foresee a lot of returns exactly 1-2 months from launch. The PS4 does not seem supply constrained from what Sony has been openly stating, and once the flippers begin to realize that, 30-90 days from launch a lot of returns will begin to flood the stores. Go ahead and check the prices for PS4's on eBay and if those prices don't hold up you'll be getting your preorder before Christmas.

sith ewok

And you believe that? -_-

Gamestop numbers in America are for most stores split relatively evenly. The demand is there for both systems.

There are two GS stores in my town of roughly 50,000.

One store has 74 PS4 and 26 XB1 reserves.
One store has 78 XB1 and 33 PS4 reserves.

These numbers very closely line up to their Ps3/360 sales volumes, so it's either customers staying with what they know or the staff at those particular stores being biased one way or another.

Gamestop numbers nationwide are much closer between the two than you would think.

Edit: And I agree that they weren't telling the OP the whole truth in order to make them come in and get their system right away so it didn't clog up their backroom. Supply will be tight, but there will be far more PS4's out there than the US has *ever* seen at the launch of a system.

this pisses me off. Why would they take 600 pre orders when they are only getting 15 at launch? If I don't get my pre order at launch like I was promised, im canceling it and buying the first next gen system I can find.

fucking gamestop

Because your preorder money goes into a savings account were Gamestop and draw interest.

We are a town with 1 gamestop in the 15 mile area, a town of 30,000 with several smaller towns nearby where we are the closest gamestop.

In a town of 100,000 you probably have at least 2 gamestops if not more to supply units to. I don't believe for a second that one store was allocated 600 units for preorder. There simply is not enough square footage in an average gamestop to store 600 consoles (And that is just PS4, not to mention XBONE, 360, PS3, Wii, Wii U and Preowned consoles, and Holiday shipments)

I can answer you right now why he told you 600 on the phone...Because he wants the consoles out of the store (And out of his stockroom), he told you a higher number to give you an idea of the kind of demand surrounding them to incentivize you to pick up your order day one.

I've heard it so many times where employees tell whatever lie they can to either get you off the phone or pick up your reserve or whatever... It also could have been a new employee who knows absolutely dick about the numbers and just made up a number...

I'm not saying there isn't that kind of demand, but the supply and space just simply aren't there.

Are you limited on the amount of preorders you can take? Cause those numbers be higher if you said yes to every customer? How does it work? do you get new info per week on how much pre orders you can take?

Midas

I have to say thanks to all of you working retail providing us with some details. It's always interesting. Can't wait to see sale figures come December and January.

daman824

Because your preorder money goes into a savings account were Gamestop and draw interest.
I'd be a bit more fine with that if I actually got the thing day 1 as I don't have time to keep driving around and looking for the system. But I will be really, really upset if I get there and they tell me i might have to wait until nexr year. U'll probably stop going to gamestop for good.

I also hate how Sony and Microsoft promote that behavior. I knew I should have been worried when sony opened the pre order floodgates.

lefantome

My Gamestop was sold out untile MARCH one or two weeks ago.

I don't know the number of the preorders.

In a radius of 20km there are almost 600.000 peole and around 8 gamestops plus several other game and tech stores.

I have yet to see any ps4 go for more than 650 on eBay, where are people getting 800-900? Are people just trying to gin up demand for their preorders?

Not saying you're totally wrong but if they are taking preorders through February they are talking multiple shipments. They're not just gonna get 600 PS4s for day one and have to fnid space for them in their back room.

Popnbake

Didn't 3DS, Vita and Wii U all have insane hype and preorders at launch?

The Wii U did sell out quickly from pre-orders.

However I got a call from both of my local Gamestops asking if I wanted to pick up a black Wii U a few days after launch due to being on the waitlist.

I don't know what happened but all the hype for the Wii U died off in an instant.

It's impossible to say that the same will not happen to the PS4 or Xbox One but I doubt it given the demand for both consoles at this rate.

Fox Mulder

fucking gamestop

it's free money for them. Even if you cancel, they made interest on it the whole time.

SpartanN92

Banned
Try again. I said I want facts, I want sources. I don't want your bullshit, made-up numbers.
Doing this from a mobile...bear with me

nQMBPTB.jpg

Memino

Banned
Guys should I try to flip this on EBay or should I keep it? Damn.

It depends on the price for me, if they reach stupid levels on ebay I would be happy to hold out on playing it for a few months until second son drops. Luckily I got my mega pack on preorder so we'll see in a few weeks.

suaveric

Have you looked at ebay? Because I've been folowing it for near 2 weeks, Australia is averaging over 50% more for a PS4 and we're close to 4 weeks away. USA we're seeing them in the 8 to 900 range and you can expect that to EASILY double on the night of launch.

Am I missing something? I'm looking at completed auctions on Ebay right now and everything for the PS4 is between $550 and $650. There are a few that are higher than that but they seem to be bundles with extra games. Not even close to 8-900.

Am I missing something? I'm looking at completed auctions on Ebay right now and everything for the PS4 is between $550 and $650. There are a few that are higher than that but they seem to be bundles with extra games. Not even close to 8-900.

Yep. $650 is pretty close to as good as it gets for just the console. After fees, that's less than a $150 profit. Then, you get you consider if that's worth the risk. (Hint: it isn't)

Could change if launch supply is really low, but I have a feeling that the days of hugely profitable console flips are over and gone.

McDougles

I've already sold two target preorders for a net profit of $220. I'm not trying to flip these things for ridiculous amounts. Ebay is too much of a headache and you need to charge $650+ to turn a decent profit anyway. I sold them in-person via craigslist and did just fine. It's my first time ever scalping a console at launch, but it's also the first time I've had to plunk down over $1000 in one month for two consoles launching at the same time, so I felt like I needed to offset the sting of that a little lol.

Admitting to scalping game wares?

Wrong image, doe. Still...blergh.

I pre-ordered at my store as the first one in line for the Xbox One and about 27 for the PS4 (I went in like 3 days later for the PS4). If I don't get one at the Midnight Launch for my 200+ pre-order store, Ima be mad. :mad:

Damaniel

Banned
Honestly, I hope that everybody trying to scalp PS4s/Xbones on launch gets burned. I have one of each preordered, and I'm not even sure if I'm going to keep the Xbox One. If I don't, I'm going to cancel the preorder and let it go to somebody who will hopefully play it instead.

daveo42

Banned
The Gamestop had about 64 PS4s preordered when I put down my money back in June for the console. Not sure where it is now, but there are two other Gamestops within 5 mins that have a ton of systems on lockdown for the 15th. Man Sony is gonna sell a ton of consoles at launch.

I live in Washington and roughly 30-40 minutes from MS headquarters, so it's a very MS centric area (though I'm a Sony fanboy in a sea of people who berated me all this last gen)......and I have no idea what the numbers are so maybe in a few hours I'll call one of the Gamestops up and inquire about my chances of getting a PS4 or XBone and how long the wait.

Maybe they'll give me numbers.

PAULINK

I microwave steaks.
Happy for the business, but launch is gonna be such a fucking headache for associates.

Haha, when I mentioned to a gs employee that this Holiday season is going to kill me, he replied telling me that he has to work both Xbone and Ps4 launches. Poor guy.

Pre-ordered my PS4 about a week after it was announced and I have slowly paid it off completely. I'll be pist if they don't have my PS4 day one.

That said, I may post it on craigslist for 24 hours for something like $750. If I sell it, fine I will pick up another in a couple months. If not, thats cool too..

Necrovex

Pre-ordered my PS4 about a week after it was announced and I have slowly paid it off completely. I'll be pist if they don't have my PS4 day one.

That said, I may post it on craigslist for 24 hours for something like $750. If I sell it, fine I will pick up another in a couple months. If not, thats cool too..

I'll probably do something like that. If I can't sell it for something stupid, I'll sell it to a friend for retail price (I just want to turn my GS credits into real life cash). If I can get 750 on it, I might just bite the bullet and get a TESOL certificate.

From what I could tell so far there have been no indication of supply problems for pre-orders but we'll see man. I won't be relieved until it's in my hands.

SpartanN92

Banned
Gamestop? Did you have to cutoff pre-orders or is this with open pre-orders the entire time?

The preorders for both were cut off, but you see the top sku that is just regular Xbone (not day one)?

Those are extras that we opened up reserves to every now and then. We'd get a random email at open that says "you have 1 Xbone for reserve today". They did that a couple of times. If they hadn't they would have been almost neck and neck with a slight PS4 advantage of 2 units.

Well in the US and perhaps UK were the 360 dominated current gen I can see preorders will be close but still that seems to favor Sony in my opinion. The whole point for Sony this gen was not to give Xbox the advantage of going first and increasing the user base like last gen and they got that covered. And being runner up in sales current gen and now possibly ahead in these territories is another huge win.

Also the PS4 releases in A LOT of more countries long before the Xbox creating the same kind of user base 360 had this gen. The problem for Xbox is that those countries (EU for example) is already pro Sony and it will only diminish Xbox´s market in those countries even more. Especially when all hardcore gamers get their PS4 since they don´t want to wait for the Xbox and guess what console the friends of theirs will pick up.

However releasing in all those countries means less allocations for all areas and that might benefit Xbox if Sony can´t satisfy demand while Xbox can and people buy the one available.

There is a reason Sony left Japan behind since they got that market covered and I expect the same treatment for all areas were Sony dominates. In other words countries like the US, UK... where the battle will be even Sony will push more consoles and less in others even thought the demand might be higher in those. At least that is what i would do. But since they are not opening preorders like Xbox currently is (as someone said earlier) I really don´t know.

Let's see this sources and numbers then. And no, I don't want some bullshit, made-up numbers. I want to see hard facts, sources.

I don't need to calm myself. I'm just calling bullshit when I see one. You don't know anything about the pre-order numbers more than the rest of us.

Try again. I said I want facts, I want sources. I don't want your bullshit, made-up numbers.

Then he shouldn't bold faced claiming that he can tell which one gets more order while accusing others of being incorrect with their information. And yet, here he is unable to prove the truth of his own information.

Because he's the one who started accusing others of having incorrect information. And yet when he's being pressed about his own information, he can't provide proof.

Who's to say who is telling the truth out of this guy or the OP? You don't need to be so confrontational; clearly he's seen these figures from work and doesn't have free access to that information without compromising his job. If you don't agree so strongly, just choose not to believe him. But posting 'evidence' would be very difficult.

EDIT - obviously I was wrong!

Surprised to see the numbers for Killzone Shadow Fall so low. Interesting summary though.

SpartanN92

Banned
Any comments on what I asked?

Reason for you to assume that one district's make-up = national make-up.

Previous experience. Also based on next gen game preorders as a whole.

I'm not saying there aren't odd stores or districts that sway one way or the other but when they are neck and neck like this it's usually a pretty good indicator.

Top Bottom