• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

My Gamestop has over 600 preorders for the PS4 (Sold out until February)

Daknight

I think the key difference is that the PS4 is offering the same experience that 80million+ PS360 owners enjoyed and I'd say there's at least 10million of those owners that are way past due and READY for a new system with better graphics, bigger games, a better controller, and a better online multiplayer experience (if Sony's take on PS4 online is to be believed). So yeah I think PS4 supply will be constrained at least until next spring.

Plus the WiiU did not feel like a generational leap, like... at all. And it still doesn't. It's been out a year and the games still feel like current gen and always will, not to mention next to zero 3rd party support.

I don't see PS4 going for $1500+ on Ebay, but I can easily see them hitting the $800-1000 mark if there isn't supply in stores on shelves within 6 weeks.

I didn't mention anything about which is a better system or being supply constrained. I was purely speaking about the 'pre-order hype' and the things all stores will say to drive more interest for the system (Wait list, pre-order for security of getting a second or even third shipment, etc, etc). It might or might not be supply constrained at all (I do lean into it being supply constrained though). Remember the whole 'I'll pay 1,700 if you find a PS3 in stores'? Yeah, marketing at it's finest.

That's a huge figure. There will be midnight sales in addition to that 600 figure so the number of sales for that one store could be insane!

hoserx

Man. This doesn't bode well for us late-deciders who want to try to line up to get one...... But every store has told me they will all have "some" in addition to the preorders.

I didn't mention anything about which is a better system or being supply constrained. I was purely speaking about the 'pre-order hype' and the things all stores will say to drive more interest for the system (Wait list, pre-order for security of getting a second or even third shipment, etc, etc). It might or might not be supply constrained at all (I do lean into it being supply constrained though). Remember the whole 'I'll pay 1,700 if you find a PS3 in stores'? Yeah, marketing at it's finest.

Oh I know, I was just saying that bringing up the WiiU's utter failure at maintaining sales momentum after launch isn't something that I think will be at all relevant with the PS4. I don't even think it will be particularly relevant with the XB1 for that matter. There are over a hundred million current gen PS360 owners, and while some are recent additions in the last few years, there's a metric shit ton that have been around for 5-8 years and are way past ready for next gen. Nintendo didn't provide that for them, so it's Sony's (and to a slightly lesser extent MS's) game to lose at this point.

I see combined sales of PS4 and XB1 being limited ONLY by how many consoles they can produce and ship up to and through March of next year. Only then will sales *maybe* taper off a bit to a point where consoles are on shelves waiting for buyers, and I doubt even those will sit there that long.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
I still think the sales will be extremely frontloaded because of the crazy long lifetime of PS3. But we shall see.

This kind of prediction is not hard to make.

Holiday boom and new console inertia.

PS4 has games and price on its side but you aren't exactly sticking your hear out on a limb here.

Pretty much, people seem to forget the Wii-U launch and all the 'news' about it and just think the sales after it was the same happening in the launch. Just read Gamestop about the 500,000 'wait list'.

http://www.polygon.com/2012/11/15/3649734/gamestop-reports-high-demand-for-wii-u-consoles-games

How about 'complete sellout of pre-orders' in every store.

http://www.g4tv.com/thefeed/blog/post/728008/wii-u-pre-orders-sell-out-at-big-retailers/

Now, not saying PS4 will be the same result as Wii U and I am certain it will do better AFTER the initial buying frenzy. But people taking this whole pre-order sellout '600 at one store' or whatever other news way to strongly based that no matter the system this kind of things happen with pre-orders selling out, wait list, 'hard to come by launch' etc, etc.
The issue is that you're comparing apples to tomatoes here. Pre-orders are quantifiable demand. That waiting list was just a simple mailing list from Gamestop. As was brought up when the PS4 call list numbers came out a few months ago, basically anyone who entered into a Gamestop during a certain time frame is put on such lists.

When it comes to actual preorder totals for the Wii U at a given location, the numbers were rarely over a few dozen, occasionally entering the 100s only in extremely high population areas.

People have tried to rewriite history on this topic, but anyone paying attention to the leadup to the launch could tell that demand was incredibly low for the system.

Daknight

Oh I know, I was just saying that bringing up the WiiU's utter failure at maintaining sales momentum after launch isn't something that I think will be at all relevant with the PS4. I don't even think it will be particularly relevant with the XB1 for that matter. There are over a hundred million current gen PS360 owners, and while some are recent additions in the last few years, there's a metric shit ton that have been around for 5-8 years and are way past ready for next gen. Nintendo didn't provide that for them, so it's Sony's (and to a slightly lesser extent MS's) game to lose at this point.

I see combined sales of PS4 and XB1 being limited ONLY by how many consoles they can produce and ship up to and through March of next year. Only then will sales *maybe* taper off a bit to a point where consoles are on shelves waiting for buyers, and I doubt even those will sit there that long.

But I never brought the Wii U past the pre-order hype o_O I was merely speaking of Wii U in term of pre-order hype and pre-release hype COMPANIES (Gamestop, Nintendo themselves, Sears, Toys R' Us, etc, etc) were 'creating' by mentioning it selling out, pre-order list and 'won't be available till February). Never brought into discussion the sell momentum it lost or if PS4 will have the same thing (it won't).

Now since you brought it up, I don't think it will reach till march, like every system, it'll tapper off in february, maybe earlier giving the current economic status and way more electronic stuff to buy for many people (Including tablets, cellphones, other system (XBO, WiiU, 360, PS3, etc, etc). It WON'T lose momentum like the Wii U, that I agreed 100% with you.

For once...I see commercial of it (and XBONE) every night while watching TV with the Wife, regardless of show or channel. I seen ONE Wii U commercial...and it was more like 'This show brought to you by 'Mario and Sonic at the olympics for the Wii U'.

Question for you guys.

I have a trip already paid for to the US (Florida) in Feb 18th. Am I safe? Can I be sure to get mine?

I thought I was but I have growing concerns as launch aproaches.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
My local indie (UK) has 3:1 ratio of PS4 vs Xbox One. He did say that he was told by MS to stop taking pre-orders.
He did say that a lot of Xbox fans are now switching over to Sony for this gen. I think MS are in trouble here. PS4 is going to kill Xbox One this gen.

Sony must have quite a few manufacturing sites working 24/7 to meet demand. I can easily see over 2 million PS4's sold in the first week worldwide.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
Didn't 3DS, Vita and Wii U all have insane hype and preorders at launch?

Insane hype? Wii did, but that was at launch. I recall getting a preorder easily, and my store didn't have that many overall. It was the actual launch where everyone clamored for one where things got nuts.

3DS and Wii U had no hype and were super easy to find because of little demand.

Also if the U had a hyped launch then we couldn't use the excuse of "nobody knows it exists" to blame on poor sales.

This launch is going to be wild. Stores in my area are looking to get nearly a 150 units for launch day (ps4 preorders are over 100 at every store) so that they will have enough to meet preorders and then have some remaining for walk ins. I was even told by a few that they are going to be guaranteeing a minimum quantity in each of the following weeks because it is in the ad.

So there is a possibility there will be lineups at stores before they open for weeks after launch to try and get the 10-20 guaranteed by the ad. It is going to be crazy. And I forsee the demand for the PS4 riding high well into next year with Infamous, Driveclub, MLB, Destiny, and a downpour of Indies dropping in the first half. And there may be many more games than that we haven't heard much about yet.

Daknight

The issue is that you're comparing apples to tomatoes here. Pre-orders are quantifiable demand. That waiting list was just a simple mailing list from Gamestop. As was brought up when the PS4 call list numbers came out a few months ago, basically anyone who entered into a Gamestop during a certain time frame is put on such lists.

When it comes to actual preorder totals for the Wii U at a given location, the numbers were rarely over a few dozen, occasionally entering the 100s only in extremely high population areas.

People have tried to rewriite history on this topic, but anyone paying attention to the leadup to the launch could tell that demand was incredibly low for the system.

Reason was they didn't allow for people to pre-order the system up to February like they are allowing for the PS4. This 600 pre-order isn't for day one, but for various shipments up to February. They are ALLOWING pre-order up to february, first time they allow this, In the past system could only be pre-order for the amount they were going to get on the first day.

Now I am not saying if those 500,000 people in the wait list WOULD had actually pre-order, the wait list is free after all, while a pre-order for a system is 50.00 upfront. Was just mentioning this is all marketing strategy to drive in more interest. Doubt the PS4 actually need the interest since it is being market in TV ads and other places compare to the Wii U lack of advertisement anywhere.

I am not comparing Wii U pre-order or sales, I am sure the PS4 has more. I was just mentioning Gamestop will say stuff like this all the time up to a system release for marketing reasons. I am sure the PS4 in general has more pre-orders in total and will have a longer line of people buying.

Where I live I have three GS that are in a 3 mile radius. I know the one I go to the most normally have big midnight launches. I can only imagine the craziness that will be with these shops.

Meciu

All I can say is that I have NEVER seen such hype and demand for pre-orders/day1 "wanna have" for ANY console up to date here in Poland. Shits just getting crazy here with PS4. I have never been afraid that i won't be able to buy a console day 1, and it may be my first with PS4. I can only imagine what's happeing in Germany, France or other EU countries..

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
This brings back memories of all the scalpers getting burned with the Wii U. Hope it happens again with PS4.

Sony must have quite a few manufacturing sites working 24/7 to meet demand. I can easily see over 2 million PS4's sold in the first week worldwide.

http://www.castle-vidcons.com/2013/10/10/comic-121-be-proud/

cv0121.jpg

This brings back memories of all the scalpers getting burned with the Wii U. Hope it happens again with PS4.

I think it will but for different reasons. I think resupplies will be plentiful and they will sell through therefore negating the need for scalpers, and I think people would rather take their chances on a store guaranteeing 12 units in their ad than deal with a scalper. Some scalpers will make hay, but they are too greedy for their own good and over buy. Good luck to any scalper thinking a Wii scenario will ever happen again ever.

Pain

Banned
Didn't 3DS, Vita and Wii U all have insane hype and preorders at launch?
Two of those are handhelds. Wii U is a Nintendo console.

PS4 is PS4. It'll sell well because it has amazing 3rd party support. The only problem will be the PS3. Doubt PS4 will drop anywhere near Wii U levels though.

Jburton

Banned
My local indie (UK) has 3:1 ratio of PS4 vs Xbox One. He did say that he was told by MS to stop taking pre-orders.
He did say that a lot of Xbox fans are now switching over to Sony for this gen. I think MS are in trouble here. PS4 is going to kill Xbox One this gen.

That 2 million figure is certainly doable, would be crazy ....... 3 / 3.5 million by Christmas.

jaaz

I think it will but for different reasons. I think resupplies will be plentiful and they will sell through therefore negating the need for scalpers, and I think people would rather take their chances on a store guaranteeing 12 units in their ad than deal with a scalper. Some scalpers will make hay, but they are too greedy for their own good and over buy. Good luck to any scalper thinking a Wii scenario will ever happen again ever.

Don't see the basis for any of this. PS4 has been sold out for months now, so the re-supply for pre-orders certainly hasn't been plentiful. As Sony said, they are allocating some amount for launch day purchase, but if you were Sony, would you really allocate THAT many for walk-ins when you have people willing to pre-order with payment verification right now?

I am not saying that you won't be able to snag one on launch day, or that this will be a Wii scenario, but I highly doubt supplies will be plentiful. This is not the Wii, these things have 8 gigs GDDR5, that is NOT a plentiful component in any event. When launch is over I would love to hear how Sony managed to get enough supply of that RAM to ship what looks like 2+ million units on launch day and the days after.

Don't see the basis for any of this. PS4 has been sold out for months now, so the re-supply for pre-orders certainly hasn't been plentiful. As Sony said, they are allocating some amount for launch day purchase, but if you were Sony, would you really allocate THAT many for walk-ins when you have people willing to pre-order with payment verification right now?

I am not saying that you won't be able to snag one on launch day, or that this will be a Wii scenario, but I highly doubt supplies will be plentiful. This is not the Wii, these things have 8 gigs GDDR5, that is NOT a plentiful component in any event. When launch is over I would love to hear how Sony managed to get enough supply of that RAM to ship what looks like 2+ million units on launch day and the days after.

I think it is going to sell like crazy don't get me wrong. I just think scalpers won't get the price they are looking for due to it being restocked quickly and there being so many units on the market. The Wii was a scalper's wet dream because restocks hardly happened and the shipments were low. PS4 is on the opposite spectrum, high volume shipments and more frequent so the crazies that were willing to spend double the retail price before will now be actively seeking out stores that get stock in. Or you know hopefully they were smarter this time and actually preordered for once.

I know there's Future Shops here in Canada that are having midnight launches have 250 consoles per-store besides the ones already pre-ordered.

Quebec has some labor laws so no midnight launches :( I didn't pre-order so might try my early morning luck. Since its already miserable outside I doubt there will be lines early AM.

Good news.

That's a lot of beta testers that can let me know about the overheating issues that Marcus Beer's insiders are talking about.

Stuff I want to know about before buying.

Vormund

I ordered on the 14th of June, and I'm still only a "early 2014" shipment.

A friend however, ordered a Xbone a couple of days ago and he'll most likely get it on launch day.

hwy_61

Banned
Good news.

That's a lot of beta testers that can let me know about the overheating issues that Marcus Beer's insiders are talking about.

I feel like an asshole for doing the same thing, haha. Let the early adopters pay their premium. Let them be burdened with faulty hardware.

waiting till next year is a great idea!

Good news.

I understand the sentiment, but please don't buy that rumor for a second. Others have stepped out and said that rumor was unfounded and false.

Jarnet87

When I went to pick up the DS4 my local Gamestop had a sign on the door saying they were still taking Xbox One pre-orders.

SpartanN92

Banned
I'm sorry but I don't believe it.

My store has 66 preorders (We actually have more Xbone reserves)
We are a town with 1 gamestop in the 15 mile area, a town of 30,000 with several smaller towns nearby where we are the closest gamestop.

In a town of 100,000 you probably have at least 2 gamestops if not more to supply units to. I don't believe for a second that one store was allocated 600 units for preorder. There simply is not enough square footage in an average gamestop to store 600 consoles (And that is just PS4, not to mention XBONE, 360, PS3, Wii, Wii U and Preowned consoles, and Holiday shipments)

I can answer you right now why he told you 600 on the phone...Because he wants the consoles out of the store (And out of his stockroom), he told you a higher number to give you an idea of the kind of demand surrounding them to incentivize you to pick up your order day one.

I've heard it so many times where employees tell whatever lie they can to either get you off the phone or pick up your reserve or whatever... It also could have been a new employee who knows absolutely dick about the numbers and just made up a number...

I'm not saying there isn't that kind of demand, but the supply and space just simply aren't there.

avaya

Is Sony running a Mickey Mouse operation or something? This shouldn't be happening in 2013.

Maybe you should let them have some of your insights on how to manufacture complex electronics. I'm sure they are clearly doing something wrong.

I'm sorry but I don't believe it.

My store has 66 preorders (We actually have more Xbone reserves)
We are a town with 1 gamestop in the 15 mile area, a town of 30,000 with several smaller towns nearby where we are the closest gamestop.

In a town of 100,000 you probably have at least 2 gamestops if not more to supply units to. I don't believe for a second that one store was allocated 600 units for preorder. There simply is not enough square footage in an average gamestop to store 600 consoles (And that is just PS4, not to mention XBONE, 360, PS3, Wii, Wii U and Preowned consoles, and Holiday shipments)

I can answer you right now why he told you 600 on the phone...Because he wants the consoles out of the store (And out of his stockroom), he told you a higher number to give you an idea of the kind of demand surrounding them to incentivize you to pick up your order day one.

I've heard it so many times where employees tell whatever lie they can to either get you off the phone or pick up your reserve or whatever... It also could have been a new employee who knows absolutely dick about the numbers and just made up a number...

I'm not saying there isn't that kind of demand, but the supply and space just simply aren't there.
It's not for launch. It's 600 till February.

Foghorn Leghorn

Unconfirmed Member

He didn't say 600 preorders for the midnight launch. It's all the preorders through February.

Beaten!

Top Bottom