• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

My Thoughts on the Fate of the Marvel vs. Capcom Series

Neoxon

14_umvc3art01.jpg

As many of you may know, Marvel vs. Capcom 2, 3, & Ultimate 3 were removed from online stores & ended print almost a year ago. The most popular theory behind this was that Marvel pulled them alongside Activision's releases (including the then-recent Deadpool game) to establish a shared game universe similar to their Marvel Cinematic Universe. While I can understand why this theory is commonly believed (more so given how hands-on Marvel was with the MvC3 games & how they gave Capcom a strict time table on said game), one thing sticks out to me, that thing is Marvel vs. Capcom Origins.

Origins was released sometime after UMvC3 came out, & it included both Marvel Super Heroes & MvC1 with extra features & online. Oddly enough, it's still available for digital download (obviously not anymore, but it was when this thread was first made). This could easily be explained by the fact that this game was on a separate contract from the other MvC games that were pulled. But that begs the question, why wasn't Origins pulled anyway. Time didn't seem to be an issue with the Activision purge, so why not Origins. My reasoning leads back to the fate of the other MvC games. These games have a contract with a set amount of time before the company who bought the license has to either renew or relinquish the rights. Given Capcom's financial troubles at this present time, they more than likely relinquished the rights because they didn't see it as profitable to renew it. This also adds up given that Disney worked with Capcom & WayForward to release DuckTales Remastered that apparently did pretty well, so there's at least a positive relationship between Capcom & Marvel's parent company (& likely by extension, Marvel). On top of that, the inclusion of Rocket Raccoon in UMvC3 had a hand in Rocket's popularity now & the success of the recent Guardians of the Galaxy movie (though how much of a hand UMvC3 had can be debated). Plus, in Season 3 of the Ultimate Spider-Man cartoon (which is remotely decent now that Loeb isn't in charge), they blatantly reference the MvC series, right down to the moves & stances used, so Marvel clearly still holds the MvC series in high regard. Overall, I think it's more of a financial issue on Capcom's end that's keeping the MvC series from continuing than on Marvel's end (even if they're doing that mobile game that's a knock-off of Injustice Mobile). As such, I don't think that the series will never return, I just don't think we'll get one for another decade when Capcom hopefully gets their financial shit together
unless Sony did what they're doing with SF5 & foots the bill for licensing & some of development (which oddly fits, given Sony's positive relationship with Marvel)
. But that's just me, what are your thoughts, GAF?

UPDATE: MvC Origins may have been pulled from PSN & XBLA, but my points still stand.

UPDATE 2: Marvel has been showing quite a bit of love to the MvC series lately through a page in Spider-Verse (with an official name for the MvC Earth, Earth-30847) & The Unbeatable Squirrel-Girl's variant cover.

Neoxon

And yes, I know the shared game universe thing isn't just a rumor & may have had a hand in UMvC3 & MvC2 being taken down, but I don't think that was the main reason.

My only question is about the licensing terms after MvC2. Capcom had apparently lost the license after MvC2, and were still able to port the game to a dozen other platforms. Why can't they port UMvC3 to PC/other platforms or even offer the game to digital release anymore? What changed?

Basically with Xbox Live on the 360 threatening to end service in the next year or two, and who knows about PS3 PSN, I'm afraid I won't have an avenue to play online anymore. Especially with them apparently ending the series like they are. It's probably my favorite fighter of the last 15 years and it's really saddening that everything is ending like it has.

Neoxon

My only question is about the licensing terms after MvC2. Capcom had apparently lost the license after MvC2, and were still able to port the game to a dozen other platforms. Why can't they port UMvC3 to PC/other platforms or even offer the game to digital release anymore? What changed?
The new contract inhibited that, since that was an oversight that Capcom was able to use to their advantage back then.

El_Cinefilo

I think it might be a disney thing, I was looking on the psn store the other day to see how much UMvC3 was on vita and it's not on the store anymore :-(

Bleepey

I heard that Capcom were soured at working with Marvel/Disney because Marvel were control freaks that were unreasonable. If i recall they wouldn't let Capcom have a few months to add more content and characters in UMVC3 and that's why the game had to be rushed out so soon after vanilla. Stupidly for Marvel if they had let Capcom have more time they could have added characters like Daredevil, Luke Cage, Black Panther and other characters in the MCU/MTU and have acctually had a game launch with the Avengers, but Marvel were stupid.

Neoxon

I heard that Capcom were soured at working with Marvel/Disney because Marvel were control freaks that were unreasonable. If i recall they wouldn't let Capcom have a few months to add more content and characters in UMVC3 and that's why the game had to be rushed out so soon after vanilla. Stupidly for Marvel if they had let Capcom have more time they could have added characters like Daredevil, Luke Cage, Black Panther and other characters in the MCU/MTU and have acctually had a game launch with the Avengers, but Marvel were stupid.
They did dictate a lot of the Marvel side (the characters themselves sans Sentinel & Shuma, how Dr. Strange played, the fact that Shuma was DLC, etc.).

Skilletor

No, Ultimate was supposed to be DLC, and then Japan had natural disasters that prevented those plans from happening. Instead they made it a disc update with a few more characters.

http://www.destructoid.com/sdcc-interview-niitsuma-on-ultimate-marvel-vs-capcom-3-206630.phtml

Niitsuma: After the release of Marvel vs. Capcom 3 there were plans to release DLC. But, as you know, less than a month after the game was released we had the earthquake and tsunami in Japan. That had an impact on everything, and it threw off our whole development schedule. We decided that instead of doing the DLC we could put it all together in one package, add some additional stuff to make it robust and deliver it as a disc.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
The abandonment of UMVC3 is particularly sad to me because I feel MVC3 is one of the most spectator friendly competitive games. The team structure, the obvious strategy of each character representing a section of the competitor's health, it is pretty easy for non-fans to get up to speed on why a match is exciting. When someone is going for a one-hit-to-death combo to remove a character from play, or catches a happy birthday on an assist, anyone can cheer them on.

I've shown the famous BIONIC ARRRRMM video to people who don't play fighting games, and they loved it. They got why it was a fun and exciting moment.

Neoxon

The abandonment of UMVC3 is particularly sad to me because I feel MVC3 is one of the most spectator friendly competitive games. The team structure, the obvious strategy of each character representing a section of the competitor's health, it is pretty easy for non-fans to get up to speed on why a match is exciting. When someone is going for a one-hit-to-death combo to remove a character from play, or catches a happy birthday on an assist, anyone can cheer them on.

I've shown the famous BIONIC ARRRRMM video to people who don't play fighting games, and they loved it. They got why it was a fun and exciting moment.
I remember when I saw that on the stream, good times.

J

Jotamide

Unconfirmed Member
On top of that, the inclusion of Rocket Raccoon in UMvC3 had a hand in Rocket's popularity now & the success of the recent Guardians of the Galaxy movie (though how much of a hand UMvC3 had can be debated).

rocketlaugh_take1.gif

There's little to no debate here, the two are completely unrelated. It's ludicrous to think that a game had anything making GotG the summer blockbuster it was. Also, unfortunately I don't see Marvel coming back on home consoles at least in a MvC game. Capcom needed the help of Sony to develop one of their biggest IPs, Street Fighter. That's a pretty dire situation if you ask me. Might as well get used to this:

fckrsjzs5lpmuupsphi4.gif

There's little to no debate here, the two are completely unrelated. It's ludicrous to think that a game had anything making GotG the summer blockbuster it was. Also, unfortunately I don't see Marvel coming back on home consoles at least in a MvC game. Capcom needed the help of Sony to develop one of their biggest IPs, Street Fighter. That's a pretty dire situation if you ask me. Might as well get used to this:

I find it funny that people actually believe this.

FourMyle

If it DOS return someday and it plays anything like Marvel 3 then they can keep it. I loved MvC1 and 2 and kept coming back to them for years. I got bored of both MvC3 and UMvC3 within months.

Neoxon

If it DOS return someday and it plays anything like Marvel 3 then they can keep it. I loved MvC1 and 2 and kept coming back to them for years. I got bored of both MvC3 and UMvC3 within months.
Quite the opposite for me. I found myself playing UMvC3 for much longer than any other fighting game, & I still come back to it on occasion.

Dahbomb

It's painful to think about this stuff nowadays.

Only way I see MvC coming back is if fighting games blow up again (lke LoL tier) and Disney wants in on the action. Capcom is of course strapped for cash so they will take whatever money hats come their way.

Otherwise there is not a whole lot of incentive for Marvel to invest in the VS series.

Neoxon

It's painful to think about this stuff nowadays.

Only way I see MvC coming back is if fighting games blow up again (lke LoL tier) and Disney wants in on the action. Capcom is of course strapped for cash so they will take whatever money hats come their way.

Otherwise there is not a whole lot of incentive for Marvel to invest in the VS series.
Unless Sony comes along with another moneyhat. Although it's possible, it's not likely.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Won't happen cause Capcom has been inept for the past gen and strapped for cash, but I'd like for them to do other vs games instead of dealing with the Marvel cluster fuck.

I thought Tatsunoko vs Capcom was awesome, and a sequel would be very welcomed by me!

We will have to wait ten more years for another MvC. For now, welcome to the F2P, Virtual card, Marvel skinned match 3 future. Feels like working on a licensed game is more of a curse than a blessing.

Anth0ny

It's dead, Jim.

If Mahvel comes back, it'll be because Disney wants it back.

It's looking like my dream of Marvel 4 being a tie in with Avengers 2 isn't happening at this point.

Marvel 4 tie in with Avengers 3 in 2018 HYYYYYYPEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!
; ___________ ;

AAK

Why does the marvel license matter? Not like there's some deep narrative making their inclusion mandatory. Capcom has more than enough ip's to do an internal fighting game based on MvC's fundamentals.

It's dead, Jim.

If Mahvel comes back, it'll be because Disney wants it back.

It's looking like my dream of Marvel 4 being a tie in with Avengers 2 isn't happening at this point.

Marvel 4 tie in with Avengers 3 in 2018 HYYYYYYPEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!
; ___________ ;

I'd honestly take a Marvel Super Heroes 2 at this point.

Neoxon

MvCvT please. I need Karas Redfield and Sentinel on the same team.
Marvel probably wouldn't allow Sentinel to return. Plus Tatsunoko is even harder to deal with given how scattered their properties are as far as rights go.

rocketlaugh_take1.gif

fckrsjzs5lpmuupsphi4.gif

WTF is that?

looks like a really shitty version of Injustice

I don't care if Sony moneyhats MvC4 too. The series needs to come back :(. I want this more than SF5 tbh.

Nintendo, Microsoft, Samsung/Google, Somebody :( I will pay out the NOSE for MvC4 built on what UMvC3 started. Its probably the first fighting game I truly loved, maybe aside SFA2/3. And I've been in fighters since Hyper Fighting on the SNES

Disney wants injustice license money.

Capcom wants RE sales for any AAA game.

Its not going to work out for either party.

Don't be surprised when NRS gets the nextg marvel game. In fact, bank on it.

Neoxon

Disney wants injustice license money.

Capcom wants RE sales for any AAA game.

Its not going to work out for either party.

Don't be surprised when NRS gets the nextg marvel game. In fact, bank on it.
I wouldn't call it a guarantee. They would have contracted the guys who did Injustice Mobile for Contest of Champions if that was the case.

Neoxon

No, Because I have no insider info.

But Im pretty much convinced ill never see another MVC.
It's really an issue on Capcom's end with affording the license. If it was an issue with Marvel, Origins would have been shut down alongside the others, & the Vita version of UMvC3 would have gone down with its console counterparts at the same time. Money is the real problem.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Let us take a gander at a lot of the speculated reasons behind the future of the MvC Series. I guess it's long overdue that I make such a thing. To start, I will say I agree with Neoxon about why Origins is still up and why Capcom relinquished the rights.

Shared "Marvel Gaming Universe" Theory/Rumor - Unsubstantiated
Source - TQ Jefferson, Marvel VP of Games
“You might have noticed that certain similarities and threads touch from one game to the next,” said TQ Jefferson, Marvel’s VP of games, regarding new developments in Marvel’s gaming space. “Much like you see in publishing and film, we’re trying to build a gaming universe connected by common elements and narrative into a larger gaming initiative.”
So how well does this hold up beyond conjecture? What does this mean beyond "yeah some of our games will use some of the same IPs and associated concepts"? At this same event they were praising Avengers Alliance, a F2P game that's been out forever and not taken down alongside many other titles were in December of 2013.

Arguably, this was just hinting at Disney Infinity 2.0. Beyond that, how more similar are these games that have continued to receive updates and/or have been announced since aforementioned comments were made?:
- Disney Infinity 2.0
- Various movie tie-in iOS games, even for competitive cinema properties
- Marvel Heroes
- Spider-Man Unlimited
- Marvel Contest of Champions

The answer? Not much. They all use Marvel characters and, most notably to MvC, take their own narrative liberties and skew outside of Marvel Studios characters.

But what if it's just iOS games that skirt by this new ideology/rule? - Possible, unlikely because of the presence of Infinity
It appears sort of illogical to assume that no matter how lucrative or strong the venture/opportunity, Marvel would throw all that aside to maintain whatever nondescript narrative which Disney Infinity 2.0 otherwise contains. For all we know, this just means you need to represent the Avengers in the game. And why not, when they are culturally relevant characters that fans of all kinds would want?

We forget that MvC3 was almost prophetic in terms of the direction of the MCU, was released while The Avengers was in production, and still churned out a pretty diverse cast that used more than Marvel Studios properties. Do I think Marvel Games knew all there was to know about the MCU at that time? No, because much was just between Feige and select others at that time. Similarly, I think the force exerted by Marvel Studios on the games division is much less than assumed because of the diverse casts we've seen in games regardless since the MCU broke out. Yeah, Marvel Studios has favourites, but they consistently make exceptions and let properties they know are big breathe, partly because they can still use those strong brands for direct profit (games) and indirect profit (merchandising) as well. Contest of Champions is the biggest thing contradicting the idea of a completely Marvel Studios cast, featuring Spider-Man himself front and centre on their website.

Make no mistake. Money makes sense.

Capcom and Marvel have a damaged relationship because of the shitty contract! - Mixed, logically unsound
The assumption that the contract was shitty is just kind of strange. I mean, yeah, they don't get to throw out shit willy nilly, but that's because it's not their IP. And the IP they're dealing with here is a multibillion dollar one. That multibillion dollar IP having a quite significant pull when it comes to representations in other media is not unusual, nor is Capcom the only victim of this. The contract is what it is, and as the years go on people just seem to project more of their desires into all of the stuff we don't know about the contract to fill in the blanks. Yeah, it worked out pretty shitty for the MvC community, but business is business.

Svensson, who negotiated the MvC3 deal and project, and described himself as the primary relationship holder with Marvel, is no longer at Capcom and left about a year ago. Doom and gloom time? Maybe. Most likely not; he's likely not the only person to built a relationship between the two companies, and the idea of both companies backing away from doing business because he's he's not there sounds more unlikely than likely.

The flipside? Post-MvC3 Seth Killian, former community director at Capcom, said that Capcom still had a good relationship with Marvel. Which is immediately apparent leading into UMvC3 and beyond as the Marvel team was super enthused and it's hard to see why not. It is probably the most prolific game to use the Marvel IP, and one with the greatest sales, and there is no reason why Marvel wouldn't jump on the opportunity, even if they Avengerize it.
Capcom is broke! That's why we didn't get MvC4 this year/2013/2012/simultaneously-with-UMvC3! - Possible, but thinking about this in the context of now is doing it wrong
Now, as far as I can tell from financial reports, Capcom being a sinking ship is greatly exaggerated and they've still put up profits the past few years. I'm not sure why co-development is seen as an indicator that a company is "broke," just because you have a partner that is willing to subsidize costs. That sounds advantageous for me, especially if it ends up being more lucrative than making it multiplatform, which you pretty much have no way of knowing unless you're a Capcom shareholder. There is reason to believe Capcom is currently focusing effort on their 6 breadwinner IPs, and I even think they stated it outright, but this would obviously mean a SF should come before an MvC. We've heard all these rumblings about Capcom not being able to fund SFV in very close proximity to when the game was announced, so a bit of skepticism is required here when reading into these statements, and less assumption about where they are allocating an unknown amount of money to an unknown number of projects.

Why would they put out MvC4 or even start talking about it before SFV is out? Makes no sense, agreed? SFV was just announced and we initially got estimates that it was much further off. As a general rule, we should learn not to take so much stock into "you might not see another iteration until exact year here." These comments are inherently speculative and should not be confused with formal announcements.

That said, when Seth said that the franchise needs time to breathe, the genre was getting very saturated. 2011/2012 probably had the most fighting games released ever, and that included TWO MvC titles in the span of a year. Something Capcom caught a lot of flak for, and it might even be further damaging if they bring out another so soon, and before SFV. It does not make sense right now. The MCU isn't going to die out tomorrow, so there isn't really an urgency to strike while the iron is hot. Now is clearly not the right time for Capcom as far as positioning their brand and releases goes, and who knows for Marvel.
So when will we get it, and when is best for Capcom? Why should Marvel care?
Ideally, a few years out from SFV, just how MvC3 was. But things are different now, we might get it earlier. It all depends on Capcom's momentum moving forward with SFV and whether they make that link between companies again. It is in both of their interests because MvC is a multimillion unit franchise for both of them, but we really don't know how Disney's licensing works now or what Capcom is planning. For all we know, it's in pre-production already.

All we can do is wait and see, unfortunately, and try not to get misguided by unfounded totalitarian-Disney rumours or particularly weak & unsupported arguments for why an MvC4 is unlikely. Make no mistake, I believe an MvC4 will only happen when the stars, interests and schedules (remember, MvC3 and UMvC3 release periods were determined by Marvel) of both companies align, but it's so mutually beneficial and makes sense for both their money and portfolios that it seems way more likely that we'll see it soon than we'll see Disney fold or SFV not do well.

Also general lol @ anyone believing they'd rather work with WB/NRS on an off-colour wannabe that'll sell less than the real deal with a company they already have a working relationship with.

Ferrio

Banned
Why does the marvel license matter? Not like there's some deep narrative making their inclusion mandatory. Capcom has more than enough ip's to do an internal fighting game based on MvC's fundamentals.

Yep, it's what they should do. Tons of untouched characters that could be pulled in.

I wonder if Capcom has the rights to the Alien vs Predator characters?

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Is this even a serious question?

Can you guess what the biggest sell of the Marvel vs. Capcom franchise is?

Hint: It's not the Capcom component, or the mechanics.

Nephtes

As such, I don't think that the series will never return, I just don't think we'll get one for another decade when Capcom hopefully gets their financial shit together
unless Sony did what they're doing with SF5 & foots the bill for licensing & some of development (which oddly fits, given Sony's positive relationship with Marvel)
. But that's just me, what are your thoughts, GAF?

I was under the impression that Disney/Marvel is not on good terms with Sony what with Sony pictures renewing the Spiderman movie contract and attempting to make a "cinematic universe" out of that rather than allow Disney to fold Spiderman into the Marvel Cinematic Universe...

Sony Pictures still holding the rights to Spiderman's film career for the time being instead of rightfully under Disney control...
Amazing Spiderman 2 was awful.

Top Bottom