• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

My Thoughts on the Fate of the Marvel vs. Capcom Series

fader

It's so clear MvC3 was rushed and that's a real shame.

I remember Marvel and Capcom both talking up a real story mode for this game, but then Marvel would only lend out Tieri, who sucks, and Tieri had NO IDEA how to write for any of the video game characters. For a lot of characters, he'd just peruse wikipedia, put a couple of proper nouns in there, and call it a day.

I don't think there's a better indication that MvC3 was rushed than Galactus, though. It's clear there was supposed to be a third part to that fight. When you punch Galactus enough, he says "Now I will crush you like the bug that you are."

Then he just fucking dies.

They obviously had to cut out the last part but were unwilling or unable to change the sound sample so he basically says "OKAY NOW FOR THE NEXT PART" and then the fight ends. Not that it's that big a deal because who really cares about the final boss fight, but it's this big ass flag for how rushed the game was.

MVC2 was rushed also, but probably for a different reason. The game came out in arcades with a small cast (don't remember how many exactly)

Here's your context. Basically it was the first episode of the third season, when Spidey finally joins the Avengers.

thats pretty awesome...

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
It's so clear MvC3 was rushed and that's a real shame.

I remember Marvel and Capcom both talking up a real story mode for this game, but then Marvel would only lend out Tieri, who sucks, and Tieri had NO IDEA how to write for any of the video game characters. For a lot of characters, he'd just peruse wikipedia, put a couple of proper nouns in there, and call it a day.

I don't think there's a better indication that MvC3 was rushed than Galactus, though. It's clear there was supposed to be a third part to that fight. When you punch Galactus enough, he says "Now I will crush you like the bug that you are."

Then he just fucking dies.

They obviously had to cut out the last part but were unwilling or unable to change the sound sample so he basically says "OKAY NOW FOR THE NEXT PART" and then the fight ends. Not that it's that big a deal because who really cares about the final boss fight, but it's this big ass flag for how rushed the game was.
Not only that but we got some of the most motherfucking awesome trailers ("Episodes") in gaming only for it to amount to essentially nothing in the final game.

FinKL

MVC2 was rushed also, but probably for a different reason. The game came out in arcades with a small cast (don't remember how many exactly)

Are you talking about 56 characters being a small cast on the arcade MvC2 that I know or was there an earlier build with less characters?

Neoxon

Capcom can't fund freakin Steet faighta 5 without help, they're broke
As enzo pointed out, they are making steady profits. It's just that they're being more careful with their money, & Sony's funding presented the opportunity for Street Fighter 5 to be less of a risk financially for Capcom. This is also why Capcom is in no rush to renew the Marvel contract outside of working on SF5, they're choosing their projects carefully & only focusing on the franchises that are guaranteed to make money. Though to directly quote enzo,

Capcom is broke! That's why we didn't get MvC4 this year/2013/2012/simultaneously-with-UMvC3!
- Possible, but thinking about this in the context of now is doing it wrong
Now, as far as I can tell from financial reports, Capcom being a sinking ship is greatly exaggerated and they've still put up profits the past few years. I'm not sure why co-development is seen as an indicator that a company is "broke," just because you have a partner that is willing to subsidize costs. That sounds advantageous for me, especially if it ends up being more lucrative than making it multiplatform, which you pretty much have no way of knowing unless you're a Capcom shareholder. There is reason to believe Capcom is currently focusing effort on their 6 breadwinner IPs, and I even think they stated it outright, but this would obviously mean a SF should come before an MvC. We've heard all these rumblings about Capcom not being able to fund SFV in very close proximity to when the game was announced, so a bit of skepticism is required here when reading into these statements, and less assumption about where they are allocating an unknown amount of money to an unknown number of projects.

Why would they put out MvC4 or even start talking about it before SFV is out? Makes no sense, agreed? SFV was just announced and we initially got estimates that it was much further off. As a general rule, we should learn not to take so much stock into "you might not see another iteration until exact year here." These comments are inherently speculative and should not be confused with formal announcements.

That said, when Seth said that the franchise needs time to breathe, the genre was getting very saturated. 2011/2012 probably had the most fighting games released ever, and that included TWO MvC titles in the span of a year. Something Capcom caught a lot of flak for, and it might even be further damaging if they bring out another so soon, and before SFV. It does not make sense right now. The MCU isn't going to die out tomorrow, so there isn't really an urgency to strike while the iron is hot. Now is clearly not the right time for Capcom as far as positioning their brand and releases goes, and who knows for Marvel.

D

Deleted member 13876

Unconfirmed Member
Not only that but we got some of the most motherfucking awesome trailers ("Episodes") in gaming only for it to amount to essentially nothing in the final game.

If they do another MvC they just do the story mode like Guilty Gear XRD. Just a bunch of awesome cutscenes and dialog.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
As enzo pointed out, they are making steady profits. It's just that they're being more careful with their money, & Sony's funding presented the opportunity for Street Fighter 5 to be less of a risk financially for Capcom. This is also why Capcom is in no rush to renew the Marvel contract outside of working on SF5, they're choosing their projects carefully & only focusing on the franchises that are guaranteed to make money. Though to directly quote enzo,
I should just clarify, they are still in the black, but they'll have to pump up development costs in the gen transition and that's where the issue lies.

I just think saying that they're pretty much in dire straits is pretty naive to the situation. Capcom isn't exactly doing great but they're not tanking either.

Skilletor

thats pretty awesome...

MvC2 had 50+ characters in the arcade release. They were locked through credits played.

I definitely feel like we'll see MVC again. Though as was said definitely not for awhile. Much like the gap between MVC2 to 3.

Capcoms finances definitely seem like the biggest offender over anything though.

Pretty sure it was dead on arrival in the west.
But if anything I blame the wii exclusivity over anything else.
Capcom USA said that it sold more than they anticipated.

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
Marvel probably wouldn't allow Sentinel to return. Plus Tatsunoko is even harder to deal with given how scattered their properties are as far as rights go.

647301bc49e9159a45c93f48dcaf612f5bfe46c246c45df09494ae1fc10225f8.jpg

Neoxon

Man if they make a Marvel Vs. Capcom 4, they better put Megaman or Venom in this time.
Mega Man has okay chances, but I wouldn't get your hopes up for Venom. Marvel would put Captain Marvel, Black Panther, Black Bolt, Quicksilver, Scarlet Witch, etc. before they add Venom.

what they need to do is scrap whatever the hell mvc3 was suppose to be and mimic mvc2
(U)MvC3 was alright, & if I recall correctly, MvC2 was hella broke.

lupinko

Ok this looks like a job for Adam and Gio.

#ultimatemvc3forps4
#mvc4forps4
#linnkurosawa4mvc4forps4
#jem4mvc4forps4trulytrulytrulyoutrageous

LeMaximilian

Alligator F*ck House
Hey guys. I worked on some video stuff for Marvel Origins, and have a slight understanding of what's going on.

Usually when these deals happen, there sometimes is a blanket 'Until Terms End', or the usual 'Until Said Date'. I'm fairly sure, MVC2/UMVC3 were signed under, 'Until Terms End' type of contract, where the license for the characters would expire.

However, MVC Origins came out a year after UMVC3. And as a download only title, the contract period might last upwards of 5 years. Even tho the overall license is expired, the contract still stood when they had that license for the release of Origins and it's unique release deal.

I even remember asking about DLC for Origins at some point. Character colors, small stuff we remember in 3rd Strike Online, and was told it's nearly impossible due to the approval process at Marvel.

Neoxon

Hey guys. I worked on some video stuff for Marvel Origins, and have a slight understanding of what's going on.

Usually when these deals happen, there sometimes is a blanket 'Until Terms End', or the usual 'Until Said Date'. I'm fairly sure, MVC2/UMVC3 were signed under, 'Until Terms End' type of contract, where the license for the characters would expire.

However, MVC Origins came out a year after UMVC3. And as a download only title, the contract period might last upwards of 5 years. Even tho the overall license is expired, the contract still stands when they had that license for the release of Origins and it's unique release deal.

I even remember asking about DLC for Origins at some point. Character colors, small stuff we remember in 3rd Strike Online, and was told it's nearly impossible due to the approval process at Marvel.
That's what I touched on in the OP. The thing was that the MvC games being removed wasn't part of the Activision purge or to wipe the slate clean to make a Marvel Game Universe (as there are many games out recently that go against this plan, Disney Infinity 2.0 being a prime example), but rather the contract just expiring on MvC2 & (U)MvC3's part. As we both said, Origins was a separate contract, & probably cheaper to maintain since it's a digital download at a budget price. Plus as the Ultimate Spider-Man clip proves, Marvel was & still is happy with the MvC series.

You said on Twitter that the games were removed because it didn't fit the brand, the fact that Origins is still up goes against that theory (on top of the numerous games that go against the Marvel Game Universe initiative, which seems to be isolated to mobile & Facebook games). Actually, your Twitter post was what spawned this thread. The post that enzo made goes into much better detail about all this than what I'm saying right now.

LeMaximilian

Alligator F*ck House
That's what I touched on in the OP. The thing was that the MvC games being removed wasn't part of the Activision purge or to wipe the slate clean to make a Marvel Game Universe (as there are many games out recently that go against this plan, Disney Infinity 2.0 being a prime example), but rather the contract just expiring on MvC2 & (U)MvC3's part. As we both said, Origins was a separate contract, & probably cheaper to maintain since it's a digital download at a budget price. Plus as the Ultimate Spider-Man clip proves, Marvel was & still is happy with the MvC series.

Yep. However, the management relationship with Marvel is way more complicated than it was in the 90's, and is even more complicated now past 2011 when MVC3 was released. Considering some of the struggle of development, IE getting multi-threaded approval for gameplay/design adjustments for Marvel characters, is probably more of a hassle than anyone could imagine.

At this point, I feel the only way we'll see another MVC game, is if Marvel fronts the costs almost completely, like Sony is doing for the SF5. However, considering the Marvel franchise fighting games have gone mobile, Marvel management is probably looking for something more cost effective and a greater chance of return. Seth Killian had to fight to get classic characters like Storm/Sentinel back in the game. As we can tell from the roster choices on the Marvel side in UMVC3, it's just business.

You said on Twitter that the games were removed because it didn't fit the brand, the fact that Origins is still up goes against that theory (on top of the numerous games that go against the Marvel Game Universe initiative, which seems to be isolated to mobile & Facebook games). Actually, your Twitter post was what spawned this thread. The post that enzo made goes into much better detail about all this than what I'm saying right now.

The big 'brand' conflict is the Jim-Lee Xmen designs, which is heavily prominent in every Marvel based Capcom title pre MVC3. This was a great contributing factor why Marvel Super Heroes and MVC1 were chosen for Origins, and not MVC1/Xmen Vs Street Fighter. Considering the recent death of Wolverine, Marvel's trying to extract things outside of their control at the moment so they can have full brand management. At least that's how I see it.

Neoxon

Yep. However, the management relationship with Marvel is way more complicated than it was in the 90's, and is even more complicated now past 2011 when MVC3 was released. Considering some of the struggle of development, IE getting multi-threaded approval for gameplay/design adjustments for Marvel characters, is probably more of a hassle than anyone could imagine.

At this point, I feel the only way we'll see another MVC game, is if Marvel fronts the costs almost completely, like Sony is doing for the SF5 However, considering the Marvel franchise fighting games have gone mobile, Marvel management is probably looking for something more cost effective and a greater chance of return. Seth Killian had to fight to get classic characters like Storm/Sentinel back in the game. As we can tell from the roster choices on the Marvel side in UMVC3, it's just business.
They also had to fight for Shuma, & Marvel only allowed him under the condition that he was DLC. If we get an MvC4, the X-Men representation will likely stop at Wolverine & Deadpool (Marvel sees Quicksilver & Scarlet Witch more as Avengers than X-Men characters, because film rights). Another way that MvC4 could occur beyond Capcom getting their financial shit together is for Sony to foot the bill similar to SF5, given that Sony has a surprisingly-good relationship with Marvel. The point is that both sides are cool with the idea, it's money that's the problem.

The big 'brand' conflict is the Jim-Lee Xmen designs, which is heavily prominent in every Marvel based Capcom title pre MVC3. This was a great contributing factor why Marvel Super Heroes and MVC1 were chosen for Origins, and not MVC1/Xmen Vs Street Fighter. Considering the recent death of Wolverine, Marvel's trying to extract things outside of their control at the moment so they can have full brand management. At least that's how I see it.
There's also the cancellation of the Fantastic Four comic, which leads me to believe that we'd be lucky to get Dr. Doom back. As far as that goes, there's definitely a bigger skew towards the Avengers, the Guardians of the Galaxy, The Inhumans, etc. As for the chosen games for MvC Origins, I recall it being because Activision had the X-Men rights for games at the time & there was a certain X-Men:Marvel ratio that Capcom had to abide by without getting their asses sued.

Neoxon

Nailed it. It's the Capcom Vs SNK situation all over again. Everyone thinks their brand is worth a billion dollars.
In Marvel's case, they have every right to think so. Any movie with the Marvel name in front of it is a blockbuster, & they've successfully made the Guardians of the Galaxy, an obscure property, an A-List franchise with Rocket Raccoon now being one of the faces of Marvel alongside Iron Man & Spidey (with the former gaining his status because of the MCU). As Viridi would say, comparing Marvel to Capcom is like comparing a star to a campfire.
I know I used that analogy before, sue me.

While you're here, I was curious what your thoughts were on a potential purge of X-Men or Fantastic Four characters from a theoretical MvC4 (or at least it being limited to Wolverine & Deadpool).

My question is why does Marvel want to leave guaranteed money on the table with a potential MvC4

I doubt Marvel cares for the paltry profits an MvC game would give at this point. They're making money hand over fist right now.

Still, I'd kill for MvC4... hell, I'd be okay with UMvC3 being ported to PS4.

HonMirin

I'd love a Capcom vs. Capcom game. Same gameplay as Marvel vs. Capcom, but without the boring Marvel characters. Capcom has so many great characters.

Tatsunoko vs. Capcom 2 (or 3 if you count the "updated" TvC as a different game) would be a bliss, too. Hopefully with the Samurai Pizza Cats and Tron Bonne in the roster this time around.
My word... If this happened for real... I mean, for real for real, I'd happily retire from games forever.

LeMaximilian

Alligator F*ck House
In Marvel's case, they have every right to think so. Any movie with the Marvel name in front of it is a blockbuster, & they've successfully made the Guardians, an obscure franchise, an A-List franchise. As Viridi would say, comparing Marvel to Capcom is like comparing a star to a campfire.
I know I used that analogy before, sue me.

While you're here, I was curious what your thoughts were on a potential purge of X-Men or Fantastic Four characters from a theoretical MvC4 (or at least it being limited to Wolverine & Deadpool).

MVC3 was already purged of most the characters we loved from the previous games anyway. My reaction to half of the Marvel roster in MVC3 was, 'What the fuck is a Dormammu?'. I really do think we might not see another MVC game until Avengers 3, if that does happen.

I doubt Marvel cares for the paltry profits an MvC game would give at this point. They're making money hand over fist right now.
Yep. It'd be like making $100,000 a day, then being given a check for $1,000 after multiple years of painstaking approvals and work. Might as well go elsewhere for profits/promotion.

JazzmanZ

In terms of X-men and the F4, even through Marvel isn't tending to use both series in the future much, I'm pretty sure Dr.Doom will always appear, he's an iconic villain, and tends to be the woship of Marvel writers as the big bad.

X-men wise, Magneto could probably return too, maybe Cyclops but thats pushing it.

Neoxon

Still, I'd kill for MvC4... hell, I'd be okay with UMvC3 being ported to PS4.
With the movies, yes. As far as games, go, they've been behind DC for years. The only games that have done well from Marvel were the MvC games, Ultimate Alliance, & the more recent Disney Infinity 2.0.

Considering the recent death of Wolverine, Marvel's trying to extract things outside of their control at the moment so they can have full brand management. At least that's how I see it.

They're only doing it in regards to Fox's hold on the merchandise, though. The TV shows, and games in particular, still are gonna have Wolverine and other X-Men/Fantastic 4 properties pop up. Marvel is indeed pulling the floor from under the X-Men and F4 franchises in terms to their comic support; you mention Wolverine dying, but there's also the F4 closure and X-Men writers not being allowed to create new mutant characters.
Basically, they would create new material for Fox to use in the films, and for the merchandise. And believe it or not, merchandise is the vast majority of gross income for the comic book industry. The money coming from games and films and shows and especially the books are but a dent in comparison, and to be frank, most of them are simply used as promotional material.

That's why you see material from the MCU movies in the video games (costumes, characters, etc). Disney is just treating all of the media as a giant promotion platform for the much more lucrative merchandise.

They also had to fight for Shuma, & Marvel only allowed him under the condition that he was DLC.

That's mostly though because Shuma-Gorath is quite possibly one of the most obscure characters to ever be created. He was important for Dr. Strange's origin as Sorcerer Supreme, but the number of comic issues he appeared in can be counted on one hand, and he only appeared once recently (as in, within the last 10 years), and that was more a cameo than anything else.
In the past decade or so, Marvel has become a lot more aware of their properties in other media. So obviously Marvel has a vested interest in representing the properties and characters that actually have some sort of impact on their books, or that they're trying to get into the foreground.

There's also the cancellation of the Fantastic Four comic, which leads me to believe that we'd be lucky to get Dr. Doom back. As far as that goes, there's definitely a bigger skew towards the Avengers, the Guardians of the Galaxy, The Inhumans, etc.

Of course we would see more characters from the Marvel-held properties, but I do not believe that Marvel wouldn't allow popular characters from the Fox-held properties to appear in games. They still do - as mentioned before, Magneto just came out last week in Marvel Heroes, and X-23 is going to be released this week. Dr. Doom and several X-Men characters are going to be released next year.
And similar things can be said about the Facebook game, and the mobile fighting game.

Neoxon

MVC3 was already purged of most the characters we loved from the previous games anyway. My reaction to half of the Marvel roster in MVC3 was, 'What the fuck is a Dormammu?'. I really do think we might not see another MVC game until Avengers 3, if that does happen.
Avengers Infinity War Part 1 (May 2018) or Part 2 (May 2019)? Still, I was a huge Cosmic fan, so seeing the likes of Nova & Rocket Raccoon was godlike to me. Will I miss Storm & Sentinel, sure, but we'd get Captain Marvel, Black Panther, Black Bolt, Medusa, Thanos (he's a veteran, but still), Star-Lord, Groot, etc. As long as they don't touch Wolverine & Deadpool, the riots won't be gigantic.
Though to be fair, they've already gotten away with making absolutely zero mention of any mutants or F4 characters in Disney Infinity 2.0.

With the movies, yes. As far as games, go, they've been behind DC for years. The only games that have done well from Marvel were the MvC games, Ultimate Alliance, & the more recent Disney Infinity 2.0.

That's probably mostly down to Disney shifting focus away from games as a whole (apart from Star Wars). Disney are sitting on a goldmine with all the potential Marvel games. They should hand over the license to a capable publisher with good devs that are passionate about Marvel, like Rocksteady with Batman.

Jawmuncher

They're only doing it in regards to Fox's hold on the merchandise, though. The TV shows, and games in particular, still are gonna have Wolverine and other X-Men/Fantastic 4 properties pop up. Marvel is indeed pulling the floor from under the X-Men and F4 franchises in terms to their comic support; you mention Wolverine dying, but there's also the F4 closure and X-Men writers not being allowed to create new mutant characters.
Basically, they would create new material for Fox to use in the films, and for the merchandise. And believe it or not, merchandise is the vast majority of gross income for the comic book industry. The money coming from games and films and shows and especially the books are but a dent in comparison, and to be frank, most of them are simply used as promotional material.

That's why you see material from the MCU movies in the video games (costumes, characters, etc). Disney is just treating all of the media as a giant promotion platform for the much more lucrative merchandise.

That's mostly though because Shuma-Gorath is quite possibly one of the most obscure characters to ever be created. He was important for Dr. Strange's origin as Sorcerer Supreme, but the number of comic issues he appeared in can be counted on one hand, and he only appeared once recently.
In the past decade or so, Marvel has become a lot more aware of their properties in other media. So obviously Marvel has a vested interest in representing the properties and characters that actually have some sort of impact on their books, or that they're trying to get into the foreground.

Of course we would see more characters from the Marvel-held properties, but I do not believe that Marvel wouldn't allow popular characters from the Fox-held properties to appear in games. They still do - as mentioned before, Magneto just came out last week in Marvel Heroes, and X-23 is going to be released this week. Dr. Doom and several X-Men characters are going to be released next year.
And similar things can be said about the Facebook game, and the mobile fighting game.

I didn't say that lol

LeMaximilian

Alligator F*ck House
Based on the information provided by everyone, and how Marvel has developed as a company, alongside Capcom's recent 2 years of financial woes...

Don't expect another Marvel Vs Capcom title until 2019 or 2020. The decade per game cycle since MVC2 will most likely continue.
Please prove me wrong Capcom

However, I'm totally down for a Capcom Vs Capcom: Rise Of the Capcoms fighting game.

Neoxon

Based on the information provided by everyone, and how Marvel has developed as a company, alongside Capcom's recent 2 years of financial woes...

Don't expect another Marvel Vs Capcom title until 2019 or 2020. The decade per game cycle since MVC2 will most likely continue.
Please prove me wrong Capcom

However, I'm totally down for a Capcom Vs Capcom: Rise Of the Capcoms fighting game.
This is pretty much what I think. We'll see the return of the MvC franchise eventually, just not now or anytime soon. It may be in time for Infinity War Part 2 if we're lucky.

I think the best course of action would be to not expect a Marvel vs. Capcom title at all, but remain hopeful.

That said, I really hope for a proper Marvel fighting game
(not just that Injustice knockoff bullshit)
at some point. Capcom-developed would be great, but not a must, as long as if it's at least inspired by Capcom's games and flashy and comic-y style - as opposed to WB/NR's gritty realistic style.

Neoxon

Now that we're all sad, I'll use this opportunity to show off some of the greatest videogame art from this side of the universe.
Shinkiro draws the eyes on Spidey's mask kinda weird, & you left out the UMvC3 masterpiece in the OP. But yeah, MvC art is the best kind of art.

shaowebb

I think I still have more fun with MVC2 than three in spite of the roster stuff. The touch of death is just ridiculous in MVC3. I know MVC2 had its fare share of stuff, but I just liked it better...no TAC, no XFACTOR, Doom Missiles, Vergil and Zero weren't a thing...It had team 10 more years but hell without the rest of the stuff Imentioned it still felt more enjoyable than the stuff I played in Ultimate.

Top Bottom