• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

My Thoughts on the Fate of the Marvel vs. Capcom Series

Neoxon

I was under the impression that Disney/Marvel is not on good terms with Sony what with Sony pictures renewing the Spiderman movie contract and attempting to make a "cinematic universe" out of that rather than allow Disney to fold Spiderman into the Marvel Cinematic Universe...

Sony Pictures still holding the rights to Spiderman's film career for the time being instead of rightfully under Disney control...
Amazing Spiderman 2 was awful.
Sony gave Marvel the merchandise rights to Spidey. Plus Sony works with Marvel so that they don't conflict in movie dates.

AAK

Is this even a serious question?

Can you guess what the biggest sell of the Marvel vs. Capcom franchise is?

Hint: It's not the Capcom component, or the mechanics.

I'll be honest it would never have occurred to me. I find Marvel characters are pretty damn boring compared to Capcom's. I assumed we always saw Marvel characters in MvC2 because of MSS being top tier rather than people liking the characters... Same thing with Vergil in DMC3.

Marz

I'll be honest it would never have occurred to me. I find Marvel characters are pretty damn boring compared to Capcom's. I assumed we always saw Marvel characters in MvC2 because of MSS being top tier rather than people liking the characters... Same thing with Vergil in DMC3.

You think Magneto is boring?

D

Deleted member 13876

Unconfirmed Member
Origins is probably only available because it released last. I reckon that contract will probably expire sometime next year.

Although the game can drive me bat-shit crazy at times, I find it almost impossible to not come back to. When I crave it, I crave it hard. I'd hate to the see the series die (continuation speaking). Hopefully, Capcom can get their financial shit together. It's finally exciting to be a fighting game fan again and for the FGC to lose one of it's most iconic series along the way would suck major ass.... :(

At this same event they were praising Avengers Alliance, a F2P game that's been out forever and not taken down alongside many other titles were in December of 2013.

Just for the record: Avengers Alliance is developed by Playdom, who are a subsidiary of Disney Interactive, which is why there were no licensing conflicts, and there will never really be.

It's funny you say that, because to me, it's really the other way around. I find most of the Capcom characters to be extremely boring to watch, while I love the flashiness of the Marvel characters. And Magneto definitely fits into the flashiness for me.

Camjo-Z

rocketlaugh_take1.gif

There's little to no debate here, the two are completely unrelated. It's ludicrous to think that a game had anything making GotG the summer blockbuster it was.

Speak for yourself, I know I wouldn't have been interested in GotG if I hadn't known about Rocket from UMvC3 first.

Would like to see a pure Marvel fighter like what spawned the vs. series anyway from Capcom again. Feel like its Marvel Superheroes 2 is long overdue.

ZeroCDR

I hope somehow UMvC3 and MvC2 find life on another platform when PSN/Xbox Live gives out. I'm not expecting MvC4 any time soon.

Zubz

Banned
Speak for yourself, I know I wouldn't have been interested in GotG if I hadn't known about Rocket from UMvC3 first.

That's only a handful of fighting game nerds that got interested in the franchise, though; GotG made record box office sales, and I doubt a significant portion was due to a fighting game that wasn't even in print/sold online when the game came out.

Anyhoo, I'm disappointed that Mahvel's probably gonna be dead for awhile, but honestly, I'm not surprised. Again, Capcom's budget is very low; they said awhile back they didn't want to take a big risk on a game unless it was mobile or a guaranteed seller (I'm still willing to bet SFV's happening only because Sony bought into it). As much as a heavy hitter like MvC would make money, it takes a lot of money to make it in the first place. Unless Marvel goes out of their way to pay for a chunk of the game, or if someone just flat-out buys Capcom, that series is staying buried, which is a travesty, in my opinion, even if it makes complete and total sense. At the very least, it definitely isn't happening any time soon, with Street Fighter V being a thing. Maybe that can earn Capcom back some much needed reputation for others to help fund MvC4?

OsirisBlack

Banned
we will more than likely see another Marvel vs Capcom game but only because it's a safe bet. The thing that will hold it up is how much work it will be for capcom as they will not be able to reuse a lot of assets as there will be no X men or Fantastic Four characters. Say goodbye to super skrull,Dr.Doom,Wolverine Storm.... etc etc etc.

The saddest part about this whole debacle is that MvC3 could have been an enormous financial success if Capcom would have spent more resources in making it a more complete experience - vanilla MvC3 felt like an unfinished and unpolished game to basically everybody - as well as more marketing, instead of focusing almost entirely on Street Fighter at the time. The fact they announced the expansion of UMvC3 only mere 4 or 5 months after the release of the vanilla version did not do Ultimate's success any favors, either.

MvC3 never had a real chance to be a proper success, and part of it is definitely to blame on Capcom for not only making it more of a side project, but also expecting it to sell like hotcakes just based on the brand name alone.

BasilZero

What do I think?

I hope we see the series return (with the original games on both PS and Xbox digital fronts - but also PC front ;o).

Anyways I'm hoping sometime in the future, not in the next 2-3 years but sometime down the generation we'll see a MvsC4 on home consoles.

Seik

Banned
Thanks for the input, Enzo, that was a great read!

Also, that Marvel fighting game really looks like shit.

we will more than likely see another Marvel vs Capcom game but only because it's a safe bet. The thing that will hold it up is how much work it will be for capcom as they will not be able to reuse a lot of assets as there will be no X men or Fantastic Four characters. Say goodbye to super skrull,Dr.Doom,Wolverine Storm.... etc etc etc.

But we are seeing mutants and Fantastic Four-related characters being included in other Marvel games.
Contest of Champions features various mutant characters (Cyclops, Juggernaut, Wolverine, Deadpool and Storm). The on-going games Marvel Heroes and Avengers Alliance have a big roster of X-Men and FF4-related heroes and villains.
Marvel Heroes has in fact released Magneto as their last playable character last week (following Juggernaut before him), going to have X-23 playable this very week, and confirmed Iceman, Kitty Pryde and Dr. Doom as playable characters next year, as well as very likely Super-Skrull as well.
Meanwhile Avengers Alliance had an event in summer, introducing Cannonball and Avalanche as playable heroes, as well Mr. Sinister and Sauron as villains.

shaowebb

The future of MVC is that 3 is a mishmash of Touch of Death and broken tech. TACS, Xfactor, and some cast/assists being in such severe need of balance that its just simply not something that I feel for anymore.

Unless someone starts going Project M on the MVC titles I doubt I'll be seeing any sequels for some time. Capcom is pretty much unable to properly fund dev time for their own IP's much less fund licensed projects.

Capcom has a lot to fix right now and MVC is so low on the list of what they should be trying to fix it hurts. Honestly they should likely invest in Monster Hunter/Dragons Dogma and push to see if they can't get back some profits.

Dr. Buni

I actually think we're going to get a vs. game sooner than we think, just not with Marvel.
I'd love a Capcom vs. Capcom game. Same gameplay as Marvel vs. Capcom, but without the boring Marvel characters. Capcom has so many great characters.

Tatsunoko vs. Capcom 2 (or 3 if you count the "updated" TvC as a different game) would be a bliss, too. Hopefully with the Samurai Pizza Cats and Tron Bonne in the roster this time around.

Baleoce

I'd love a Capcom vs. Capcom game. Same gameplay as Marvel vs. Capcom, but without the boring Marvel characters.

Tatsunoko vs. Capcom 2 (or 3 if you count the "updated" TvC as a different game) would be a bliss, too.

A Capcom Allstars game would definitely get my vote. So many good IP they could use.

KAL2006

Banned
They should just release MvC4. They can reuse all the models and backgrounds from MvC3. They just need to change the gameplay system and make it balanced. Add even more characters and backgrounds and they are set.

number47

Bullshit. The use of rocket raccoon had no part in his recent popularity. You could say everyone loves Dr strange because of team memo. Marvel doesn't need capcom to promote their own characters.

They should just make a Capcom VS series with all of their characters so they don't have to depend on other licenses to keep the hype going.

Then one day make Marvel vs DC.

Dr. Buni

I guess Street Fighter doesn't sell, since MvC only sells because of the Marvel characters.
A Capcom Allstars game would definitely get my vote. So many good IP they could use.
I guess Capcom All-Stars is a better name than Capcom vs. Capcom xD

Man, my hype for the roster of a Capcom All-Stars would be insane. Smash Bros levels of hype :D

Neoxon

I guess Street Fighter doesn't sell, since MvC only sells because of the Marvel characters.

Man, my hype for the roster of a Capcom All-Stars would be insane. Smash Bros levels of hype :D
Comparing Marvel to Street Fighter these days is like comparing a star to a campfire.
Yes, the Viridi quote was intentional.

Sesha

I wish MvC4, Capcom All-Stars and Marvel Super Heroes 2 were all in the cards. They could port assets from MvC3, and reuse assets between the games. It would save them quite a bit of money and would be money in the bank. Imagine a Marvel Super Heroes 2 with a roster that would mix UMvC3, with the MCU and with missing fan favourites like Punisher and Venom and a few obscure ones like Devil Dinosaur and Molly Hayes in typical wacky Capcom style.

Windforce

Basically with Xbox Live on the 360 threatening to end service in the next year or two, and who knows about PS3 PSN, I'm afraid I won't have an avenue to play online anymore. Especially with them apparently ending the series like they are. It's probably my favorite fighter of the last 15 years and it's really saddening that everything is ending like it has.

Weeew! Really? What's the source on Xbox Live ending service for 360 so soon?

Scary prospect seeing they are still selling so much digital content for 360 and PS3.

Vanilla SF4 was a very complete product that was promoted heavily, though.
MvC3 did not have that, it only had the Marvel brand and the stepchild treatment.

Dr. Buni

Comparing Marvel to Street Fighter these days is like comparing a star to a campfire.
Yes, the Viridi quote was intentional.
The point is that a Capcom All-Stars would likely have its appeal and sell considerably well. Perhaps not well in Capcom's terms, but still well.

Viridi is great.
Vanilla SF4 was a very complete product that was promoted heavily, though.
MvC3 did not have that, it only had the Marvel brand and the stepchild treatment.
But that doesn't mean a Capcom vs. without Marvel wouldn't sell. That is my point.

I am curious, did Tatsunoko vs. Capcom bomb?

Jawmuncher

I definitely feel like we'll see MVC again. Though as was said definitely not for awhile. Much like the gap between MVC2 to 3.

Capcoms finances definitely seem like the biggest offender over anything though.

The point is that a Capcom All-Stars would likely have its appeal and sell considerably well. Perhaps not well in Capcom's terms, but still well.

Viridi is great.

But that doesn't mean a Capcom vs. without Marvel wouldn't sell. That is my point.

Pretty sure it was dead on arrival in the west.
But if anything I blame the wii exclusivity over anything else.

Ploid 3.0

You think Magneto is boring?

Magneto just released in Marvel Heroes, having a blast with him and he's quite fun and powerful.

I think Marvel will just have devs make games for them and slow down on license stuff or limit how long the license works and not end up like Sony and Fox's contracts where they can keep it going. I think I read somewhere once that the people that make Marvel Heroes consider themselves as a Marvel studio.

TreIII

Same.

But then again, I was one of the ones who would've rather had "Marvel Super Heroes 2" over a "Marvel vs. Capcom" sequel.

Oh, of course not. But only if Capcom treats it like a game, and not like an ugly stepchild to cash in on based on the brand (or the names of the characters included).

And yes, TvC bombed really badly in the West, and pretty subpar in Japan as well iirc.

But if anything I blame the wii exclusivity over anything else.

Definitely a reason, but I also think that it also was a fairly niche license.

Magneto just released in Marvel Heroes, having a blast with him and he's quite fun and powerful.

I think Marvel will just have devs make games for them and slow down on license stuff or limit how long the license works and not end up like Sony and Fox's contracts where they can keep it going. I think I read somewhere once that the people that make Marvel Heroes consider themselves as a Marvel studio.

The thing is, Sony and Fox don't have the rights for any media but movies and, in Fox's case, merchandise. Comics, games, TV series - they're still fair game. They just can't use the likenesses of the actors, or the visuals of the films.

It's so clear MvC3 was rushed and that's a real shame.

I remember Marvel and Capcom both talking up a real story mode for this game, but then Marvel would only lend out Tieri, who sucks, and Tieri had NO IDEA how to write for any of the video game characters. For a lot of characters, he'd just peruse wikipedia, put a couple of proper nouns in there, and call it a day.

I don't think there's a better indication that MvC3 was rushed than Galactus, though. It's clear there was supposed to be a third part to that fight. When you punch Galactus enough, he says "Now I will crush you like the bug that you are."

Then he just fucking dies.

They obviously had to cut out the last part but were unwilling or unable to change the sound sample so he basically says "OKAY NOW FOR THE NEXT PART" and then the fight ends. Not that it's that big a deal because who really cares about the final boss fight, but it's this big ass flag for how rushed the game was.

Top Bottom