• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"My Xbox 360 Died and I Lived to tell the story" Official Thread

Think my old 360's GPU is finally giving out on me. All the games I play have black vertical lines and eventually I can't see shit. This only happens during action, however. Menus, the dashboard and stuff look fine.

Sucks, but I guess it makes sense considering the console is probably near six years old now.

Thinking about trying to pull a fast one and trade it in for some cash while it still appears to work fine at first glance and put that money towards a new Xbox.

Curious to know if anyone has come across an issue where one of the 360 case fans would suddenly stop working?
I had not realized this until my 360 powered itself down and being greeted with 2 flashing red lights.

izakq

Got my second RRoD death today.

So for those who had experienced more than one RRoD, is there any slim chance in getting the repair charges waived? I really do not want to pay $100 again to fix the same problem. And I don't want to buy a new system either.

Jeff Stephen said:
Curious to know if anyone has come across an issue where one of the 360 case fans would suddenly stop working?
I had not realized this until my 360 powered itself down and being greeted with 2 flashing red lights.

How can you tell its the fan? I have 2 red lights and right now im not sure what the fualt is. Im hoping opening it up and cleaning it all out will fix it, but if theres a hardware failure im probably not going to be so lucky.

rvy

Banned
My first Slim seems to be going, a lot of mid-game freezes in the last 3 or 4 days. Tried to clear the cache, but it didn't work like it should, it only erased the updates for most titles. Tried manually, but it hasn't stopped the freezing. Taking it back to the store on Saturday, pretty sure MS will tell me to fuck off, it's my only choice.

rvy said:
My first Slim seems to be going, a lot of mid-game freezes in the last 3 or 4 days. Tried to clear the cache, but it didn't work like it should, it only erased the updates for most titles. Tried manually, but it hasn't stopped the freezing. Taking it back to the store on Saturday, pretty sure MS will tell me to fuck off, it's my only choice.
Is it more than a year old?

Console just died (think it might have been a Falcon - don't think it was a Jasper). Oddly enough I had just purchased a new Slim 250GB the other day because the noise of Falcon, low as it was, was starting to annoy me. Must have been a premonition (or tempting fate). Either way, that's only the 2nd 360 failure I've had since 2005, so I number myself among the fortunate.

Question: Can I transfer the contents of the phat 250GB HD to the new 250GB HD in the slim? I have a transfer cable, but it's for phat->phat.

Stubo

I'm not sure if my 360 has died or not, since my last one went out in a much more obvious and informative way.

I can turn the console on, the green power light comes on, the fans whir...however, no red lights appear. The sync button can be pressed to run the sync, but no controllers can connect (even though I think you can use the pad to turn the console on, it then won't be connected?! edit: yep)

There is no signal outputted through HDMI, and my sound receiver gets no signal through optical.

I have no idea what's going on here, and a couple of quick Youtube searches for the controller and video issues give results for entirely different problems.

Oh wise GAF, help me please?

TL;DR...No red lights, no video or sound output, can't connect pads, HALP!

Edit: This was originally a 60gb Premium console (PAL) with HDMI port, now using a 250gb official HDD. Not sure if this helps at all.

Edit 2: Doesn't appear to be outputting power from the USB ports (play and charge kit light doesn't come on) I assume this thing is alreadydead.jpg

Edit 3: After removing cables multiple times it gave me the red ring, but then after some more unplugging and re-plugging of everything it appears to be alive again? Not sure how worried I should be about this now...

g.r.e.

I have a weird problem with my 360 slim: while I was playing Vanquish, I noticed the textures were all muddy, like if they were in 64 colors...I guess it's a vga error but fuck I don't even play much on my 360. :(
Welp, I guess I've to wait that it brokes completely and then I'll call Microsoft.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
My 360 got the three red rings, but I think it's a power brick issue. When I turn the 360 on, the light on the power brick turns red for a moment, and then goes back to orange. This happened last month (I rarely turn my 360 on), but the problem fixed when I unplugged everything, and then plugged it back in a few hours later. I tried that, but now it's not working.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Dabanton

Hmm think my HD is dying, it was taking ages for to load to the dash when i turn it on. And it stutters when i tried to play a demo off the HD earlier.

It's done it earlier this year but went back to normal. Anyone else had this?

Troidal

E74 error again...had it repaired about 3 months ago and it's dead again! Looks like it's time to say good bye to this unit once and for all.

So I am down to nothing again with my gaming pastimes... :-(

i knocked over my xbox while it was playing gears the other day. i think i scratched my gears disc beyond repair, but I think the xbox is ok, it was playing the sf4 disc fine.

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
TimHortons said:
It was an original, but after they came with the hdmi port.

maybe it's a Zephyr 360 then.

Zephyr and Jaspers are dying and dropping like flies left and right these days( guess they made them to lasts 2 years or something).

Daeda

Today, after almost six years of faithful service, my dear Xbox 360 died. The last thing it ever saw was the Mage's College of Skyrim. Rest in Peace dear friend.

Anyway, what does GAF recomend for a first gen console. Repair or just buy a new one?

Totobeni said:
maybe it's a Zephyr 360 then.

Zephyr and Jaspers are dying and dropping like flies left and right these days( guess they made them to lasts 2 years or something).
I haven't heard anything about Jaspers failing outside of normal failure rates.

Psychotext said:
The new ones are so much better... I'd just go for one of those.
Indeed. Get a Slim, they're very nice.

Buggy Loop

Had RROD a month ago, fixed it myself, worked for a while and yesterday it was RROD again. I said fuck it. I went to buy a new 360 slim, 10 minutes out of the box, after updating and setting everything up, it freezes! My power supply is orange, means trouble.

I cant believe this, it didnt even work 15 mins!! ARGH.

Buggy Loop

Went back to the store, they tested the console, it worked...... It had passed the day in the car and its -1 celcius outside right now, so i thought, ok whatever, i'll try again tonight, it freeze again and i'll be back, i pass near that store everyday.

So i remembered something. last night it froze when i activated netflix via the computer.

I come back home today after the test at the store, i plug everything back and now it boots up fine, i try netflix, bam! freeze! And now it freeze at every startup like yesterday.

WOW

darksunpr

So yeah... my 250 gb slim just died, was downloading halo reach (which I got a code for $10 on ebay), after 45 min I came back to the room and the xbox was off. I disconnected the psu waited a few minutes and nothing. The psu light was orange so I don't think its a psu problem. Anyways I got in contact with microsoft I will send the console but when I try to print the UPS shipping form I cannot see it, the image doesn't load :/

I'm kind of pissed right now...

15th360twitter.png

Yes, it's gotten so bad to the point that I've started a spreadsheet with the serial numbers.

dolphx

Neo Member
Hey guys, wondering if my xbox is on the fritz.
20gFTl.jpg

This keeps on happening on Black Ops. And only BO so far, not on Netflix, or Forza 3. Uh oh? its freezing when this happens.

Had a similar problem a few days ago. Haven't used my 360 for quite a while and wanted to play some DJ Hero. Booted it up, but couldn't even start the game. It froze with a similare effect after selecting the songlist.
Tried it a few times and had allways the same problem. After that I tried to clear the caches, because I read it could help, but after trying booting up another time I had this:

scaled.php

Error-Code is 0110, which means RAM/GPU.

A proper fix seems pretty hard without the right tools and now I'm wondering whether I should buy a new one or just stick with PC gaming and try to clear my 360-Backlog at my GF's 360.

/edit:

Just installed my new Box. Just couldn't resist at 149€ for a 250GB Slim. :)

sangreal

I think my launch 360 is finally dying. Since around the time of the fall update it has started freezing and getting progressively worse. It even managed to freeze today before finishing the boot logo animation

sangreal

I think my launch 360 is finally dying. Since around the time of the fall update it has started freezing and getting progressively worse. It even managed to freeze today before finishing the boot logo animation

Yep, 6 years and 2 months later the dreaded RROD has arrived

entremet

Got the e74 error. Out of warranty too. Does anyone know if you keep your HD saves if you get it serviced through MS? With Sony, I basically got a refurbished PS3 and lost all my saves of course.

bPod

Looks like my elite is finally gone; had someone bring it back from RROD but now there isn't any power going through it

VariantX

My 2008 xbox just decided to stop reading any and all discs about a week ago. It's probably repairable but I took it as an excuse to buy a Xbox 360 S 250 GB. Thing runs as silent as a ninja compared to the jet engine noise my 08' console/powerbrick. So far extremely happy with the purchase.

Marco1

I have an issue with my slim, the eject button does not turn the xbox on yet it still makes the beep noise.
I think I can remember that it used to turn the xbox on but I can't remember.
Could someone try it so that I can tell whether it is a hardware problem or is a bug with the last update?
Much appreciated.

Urk, starting this week, about one out of every three time I turn on the 360 it makes this god aweful grinding noise. That cannot be good. It's one of the second or third generation 360's so it's due to die at some point.

I wonder how much I can get for it from Gamestop before it completely dies. Hmm...

Victrix

*beard*
Finally died :( Red ring.

RIP year-after-launch 360

It lasted me for hundreds of hours of CoD online, hundreds of hours more in DMC/NG/Bayonetta, and however many thousands of hours in all other games so... props to the little near launch 360 that could I guess.

Meanwhile my previous generation consoles all still work fine, including my Xbox :|

Appropriately, MW3 killed it.

(It actually died a few months ago, but I haven't been able to work up the choke-on-ms-payment tolerance necessary to buy a new one yet, so I've just been playing ps3 versions of stuff :p)

My console has been dieing for a while. Late last year it picked up RROD, which I managed to fix by opening the thing up and cleaning it. (Pretty easy fix.) This has happened once or twice since, but was easy enough to fix simply by opening the thing up again.

Just recently though its lost the ability to read disks, there seems to be guides on the net how to fix it, so I will probably give them a go, but im not too hopeful. Luckily I managed to install some games, generally the ones I play most often, so while its a huge inconvenience its not the end of the world. I am going to get agitated by the fact newer games wont run on it. So eventually it will probably need replacing. :( I will wait until the huge games drop in the winter, and hopefully by then there will be a price drop.

Raxus

I got my console about a year after it launched and now it refuses to read my discs out of the blue. I have been nice to my console and this comes out of nowhere. Is there no way to save it?

If not can I at least transfer my saves from my original console to the slim console?

I got my console about a year after it launched and now it refuses to read my discs out of the blue. I have been nice to my console and this comes out of nowhere. Is there no way to save it?

If not can I at least transfer my saves from my original console to the slim console?

I found a video on youtube which showed a method to get disks to read temporarily, I managed to install a bunch of games using that method. (after installation the problem hits me much less often) Let me know if you need me to hunt it down for you!

Joe

No video but I have sound?!

Yesterday my Xbox on screen went all green and today there's no video at all. Its a black screen with a litttttle static but sound is fine. No rrod or anything.

I have found a few with similar problems on the net but no real fixes or diagnosis.

Any help??

Top Bottom