• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"My Xbox 360 Died and I Lived to tell the story" Official Thread

h64TD.jpg

dk_

Tried that, but I can't reset anything.

I also switched from HDTV to SD on the cable, but nothing works.

RavenFox said:
It's the component cable.
I tried my VGA cable, too. On my TV and my monitor. Still nothing!

dk_ said:

Hey, I just had the exact same thing happen also with a Samsung tv. Did the update and it blacked out with that same "mode not supported" message. I flicked the switch to standard def and back and it came back to life. Started playing some Red Dead and a couple minutes in, Red Ring o' Death. That's almost irony I think.
Anyway, second time this console has RRoDed and I am mightily pissed. I think I'm done with xboxes.

dk_ said:

My first 360 died the same way, was showing an image all day, turned it off, came back an hour later and the thing stopped putting out an image over any cable I tried, had to send it in :(

I told them it was RROD and had it fixed for free.

dk_

Called MS yesterday, they filed a report and told me they'd call me today. Still waiting, but I think I've to send it in. Great. Still no RRoD, so I hope I've to pay nothing!

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
You sure it's not E74? My X-box ThreeFixMe just got it as I bootedup to play Jade's Game 1. Fucking piece of shit.

I hope to god MS repairs their shitty hardware, this is the second goddamn time I've gotten E74 (no RRoD, just E74) because they can't seem to keep their goddamn heatsink on the GPU. :|

I will not pay $150 for their hardware failures. I refuse to do that. Fuck that bullshit.

*imad.jpg* I knew I should've bought Ass Creed 1 on the PS3, but I wanted the achievements. ARGH.

It seems like this is a pretty widespread problem with Samsung tvs after the update. It seems the consoles are still working fine, it's just the video settings need to be reset. Try this "blind" method for changing the video output I found here:
http://corpocrat.com/2009/11/06/fix-xbox-360-display-mode-not-supported-hdmi-problem/

Turn on console and leave it to settle about 40 seconds

Turn on your controller

Press ‘RIGHT’ 7 times

Press ‘A’ 4 times

Press ‘DOWN’ Once

Then press ‘A’

dk_

But I use component cables so isn't the option greyed out?

Just tried everything. Nothing works!

The fact that I can't even get a picture with yellow, red, white (switch to TV instead of HDTV) is reason for me enough to believe my 360 has died.

dk_

So they can't decide if I should pay for the repair (like it's my fault they broke my console with their udate) & they said maybe there's a fix (yeah, I can't see anything) on monday and that they're going to call me back again.

-_-

atomico

No mention of that code on the xbox.com support page, either. The only 360 S error on the site refers to a blinking red light, and the one on my console stays on constantly

Blatz

My first and only X360 has died, RROD. It started locking up a couple weeks ago, digital artifacts on the screen and no response. It was purchased just over 3 years ago, so out of warranty. I guess I should feel lucky after reading 100+ pages of this thread.

So should I try these "fixes" (heat sink compound and screws) or just get a new one? The bad thing is I just got a hard drive upgrade a month ago. I'd like to buy an older Xbox and use that drive.

Z_Y

Blatz said:
My first and only X360 has died, RROD. It started locking up a couple weeks ago, digital artifacts on the screen and no response. It was purchased just over 3 years ago, so out of warranty. I guess I should feel lucky after reading 100+ pages of this thread.

So should I try these "fixes" (heat sink compound and screws) or just get a new one? The bad thing is I just got a hard drive upgrade a month ago. I'd like to buy an older Xbox and use that drive.

You can crack the case open on your new HDD and use it in your S.

I should be getting my refurb’d/replaced 360 tomorrow if the UPS tracker is correct. It took 3 days to get to TX but it has taken over a week to get back. :-/ Oh well...hope it is the same unit as I just did the license transfer thing a few months ago getting everything transferred off my launch unit.

I know I'm going to jinx myself with this but oh well. I did the towel trick on my launch unit and have had 0 problems since then...almost 3 weeks and counting. I'm shocked to be honest. I'm just hoping that I can keep it going to Black Friday....I'm hoping for a good deal on an S. Once this thing dies...I'm selling it on eBay for parts.

Blatz said:

get it re-balled with LEAD base solder.

LosDaddie

Banned
Blatz said:

Look around your town for electronic places that fix things. There's a shop near my house that fixes X360/PS3/Wii/iPhone for, I think, $35. Or look on Craig's List for people doing repairs. I've seen ads for people offering to fix consoles for $30

My X360 (#4) is running fine these days, but if it dies again, it will be out of warranty.

LosDaddie said:
Look around your town for electronic places that fix things. There's a shop near my house that fixes X360/PS3/Wii/iPhone for, I think, $35. Or look on Craig's List for people doing repairs. I've seen ads for people offering to fix consoles for $30

My X360 (#4) is running fine these days, but if it dies again, it will be out of warranty.

Don't waste time with 35 dollar repairs. The proper way is proper re-ball with lead based solder NOT re-flow.

Bebpo

Banned
Is there any trick to fixing a system that started freezing more and more until it only powers on but shows no video/audio and no rings? Launch model. Any towel trick or easy repair?

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
So, after nearly 4 years of Xbox 360 ownership, I just got my 3 lights for the first time. There were no warning signs of it, my system ran fan, but it died suddenly during a local game of Halo Reach. I'm not as bummed out as I normally would be, it's kind of funny because after finishing Fable 3 I was just thinking about how I'm going to go back to the "other" console for my main since there isn't anything exclusive to the 360 for a long time that I care about.

Trust me, this is not a troll or some fanboy shit, I love my 360 but I have no warranty so I'm not sure if it's worth buying a new one. I'll take a couple days to consider my options, but this is most likely the end of an era for me. : (

we've had some great times together, 360, and I'll never forget you <3

MechDX

FUCK!!! Got my CoD:BO 3 days ago. Come home from work tonight finally getting ready to play this game and BAM the fucking 3 red lights. This was my 4th FUCKING XBOX!!! Seriously...WTF!?

Top it all off I shelled out for Kinect and 4 games last week. FUCK!

In the summer of 2009, my launch 360 broke and my gaming life just went on without it. Last month, I borrowed my brother's 360 since he doesn't use it... but tonight it got the RROD. The original Xbox and 360 are the only two consoles to ever completely break down on me. At this rate, I'm probably going to skip Microsoft's next console.

I would give up on Xbox right now, but I just bought four 360 games and paid for a year of Xbox Live. I'm very tempted to get the new smaller model. Any word on whether they're 'fixed' yet?

edit: I just read a few pages back, and I guess the answer is NO. (but I'll probably buy one anyway)

Cruzader

Banned
Finally roughly 3 years and my Bro's 360's GPU is dying. Or something. Im getting th weird screen flickering on the menu.

ANyhow since he bought it almost 3 years(he dont remember and doesnt have receipt) , how can we find out if he falls under the 3 year warranty. Will read some more of this thread later.

He is trully pissed at the thought of buying another one due to the fact his xb1 is still working to this day. We''ll probably get one from a GAFer or something but want to know current options.

Leonsito

So they finally send me another Xbox, I plugged it, downloaded the update and logged on my GT, I put to download two codes I had (Crackdown 2 avatar helicopter and a code for Kinect Adventures) and I got this message on the download queue:

Assigned to Another Console

So I just selected each one and forced them to download, everything went ok but it left me worried.

I just booted up an arcade game (Sonic 1) and it showed as the demo version, I went to the unlock full game, re-downloaded and now everything if fine, but I have a couple of questions:

Does this mean that my licenses haven't been transferred to this new Xbox ?

I went to the Microsoft license transfer site but only one console ID showed up, so it's correct to assume that the licenses are transferred but I will have to re-download everything again ? :(

Edit: Fuck, I disconnected from Live and all of my arcade games changed to demo version ... -_-

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Hmm, a friend of mine who recently bought one of the new 360s just had it fail on him last night. Artifacting all over the place ultimately ending up in a red dot error. First I've heard of the new ones failing.

Leonsito

Ok, this has to be a joke... I received this new console yesterday, and it just died while redownloading things ... the fucking rlod again... COME ON

I'd suggest trying it plugged into a different socket, or a different surge protector if you're using one. Power fluctuations are well known to cause temporary RRoD.

Leonsito said:
So they finally send me another Xbox, I plugged it, downloaded the update and logged on my GT, I put to download two codes I had (Crackdown 2 avatar helicopter and a code for Kinect Adventures) and I got this message on the download queue:

Assigned to Another Console

So I just selected each one and forced them to download, everything went ok but it left me worried.

I just booted up an arcade game (Sonic 1) and it showed as the demo version, I went to the unlock full game, re-downloaded and now everything if fine, but I have a couple of questions:

Does this mean that my licenses haven't been transferred to this new Xbox ?

I went to the Microsoft license transfer site but only one console ID showed up, so it's correct to assume that the licenses are transferred but I will have to re-download everything again ? :(

Edit: Fuck, I disconnected from Live and all of my arcade games changed to demo version ... -_-

use the License Transfer Tool or call MS to change it for you.

Leonsito

Psychotext said:
I'd suggest trying it plugged into a different socket, or a different surge protector if you're using one. Power fluctuations are well known to cause temporary RRoD.

Thanks, I will try tomorrow, now I want to throw this thing into a wall.

Unregistered007 said:
use the License Transfer Tool or call MS to change it for you.

Shouldn't the license transfer tool show two console IDs ?

seat

I never thought it would happen to me, but I just got the E74 error with the single red light when I powered up my Xbox. I was really enjoying Assassin's Creed: Brotherhood, so I'm really disappointed. I have an Elite model manufactured on 6/27/2007, so it's just under 5-months out of the 3-year warranty window. Thanks, Microsoft!

edit:

Visualante said:
http://imgur.com/h64TD.jpg

Incidentally, the RROD is shaped like a teardrop in this photo, appropriate for the sadness I'm feeling right now.

Tek

Well back to this thread I go...

Xbox has been working fine...put in Call of Duty...did the update and now it won't read any discs. I tried to delete the call of duty data...no luck.

tried dvd, same....

guess the dvd drive is dead...its makes a crunch crunch nose and then says open tray..

warranty is expired...

So what is the deal on the Xbox S, how cheap can I get one. I have a 120 gb hdd already...

The wife calls me at work today upset that she couldn't watch the DVD of "How the Grinch Stole Christmas" because the 360 wouldn't come on and 3 red lights were blinking. She was thrilled to learn that, in addition to Blu Rays, the PS3 would also play DVDs.

I'm firmly planted in the PC gaming world at the moment, but I still have yet to delve into Red Dead Redemption or Bayonetta. It's barely out of warranty and I have no plans to pay Microsoft $100 for their own shitty hardware design. Is the "replace x-clamp / reapply thermal paste" solution still working out for anyone?

Clockwork

So, this will have been my 4th (yes...4th) XBOX 360.

Starting tonight I started getting graphic corruption in all of my games after just a few minutes of play time.

I had purchased this one (Elite 120gb w/ HDMI) after sending my 3rd one in for repair back in April 2008 (and I sold the repaired unit).

http://www.rage3d.com/board/showthread.php?t=33921503
(not sure if it's ok to link to another forum, but that's the prior history)

I'm friggin tired of this sh*t.

Short video I took:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4VZsB5vKLXI

My less than 2 years old 360 just shit the bed. It's my fifth and I'm not sure what to do. I'm getting the clicking and Open Tray message. I guess the drive is dying? If anybody has any good deals on the slim let me know. What is the procedure for my harddrive if I get the slim? :lol

edit: apparantly the slim is hard to find right now? wtf?

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
Bought an Xbox 360 Slim with Kinect.

Red Dot of Death after 3 days.

Microsoft fucking sucks at making hardware.

Well...my second 360 has died (Elite, 2008). Luckily, E74 is part of the three year warranty nowadays. Even more luckily, there are some nice offers at this time of year. Argos here in the UK are doing a 360 Slim 4gb + Kinect + free NFS: HP, so I'll go for that, sell the Kerplunk and NFS (which I already have on PS3), take my Elite's HD and sell that, sell the base console when my replacement Elite arrives and Hey Presto! I'm taking a net loss of maybe £10 - 20 for something I've been tempted to buy recently regardless.

I am all set to live to tell the story! Still...I expect the usual shoddy Microsoft workmanship from my new unit. Having said that, I've had two PS3s go on me, too. Only Nintendo's machine has lived from gen-beginning, though perhaps even they'll face issues when moving to more powerful hardware.

MrWisker

Nothing worse then having my 4th Xbox die after setting up the Kinect for the kids. Stupid DVD will no longer read disks. Merry Christmas Microsoft...........

R.I.P, Xbox 360 Pro: 2007 - 2010. :(

And would you look at that, two months out of warranty! What are the odds, amirite?

Does anyone know of a marginally reliable RROD repair service in the NYC area? I'm not *too* concerned about being ripped off, when the options are paying $30-$60 to a sketchy place with no guarantee of fixing the problem, or paying Microsoft $100 with no guarantee of fixing the problem. And I really don't feel like doing any DIY work right now. So I'm just wondering if anyone has successfully availed themselves of services in the area.

kissenger

Banned
I can't believe this shit. My 360 Elite apparently just died last night. All I get is a black screen. My 360 powers on and I hear a couple disc read attempts, then a weird 1-second long buzz that I'm pretty sure didn't used to happen, then.... nothing. Has anyone ever got this before?

The worst part is that my 360 is 3 months out of standard warranty, plus I don't think the fault I have qualifies me for the 3-year extended warranty because I don't get an E74 message or the RROD. My lights all seem to work as standard. Do you guys think it could just be a problem with the HDMI port? The first time my 360 wouldn't boot up was right after I plugged in a new HDMI cable that I just bought. Is it worth buying a component cable to check if it's just the HDMI that's broke?

This is a total bummer. I was so looking forward to playing Red Dead over the Xmas holiday... :(

Edit: btw, the cable I'm using seems fine because it works with my laptop, plus I tried plugging my Xbox into my PC monitor and that didn't work either.

andycapps

Well I joined the Xbox 360 crowd a couple months ago in buying one from a friend when he was strapped for cash and had this as an extra that his wife played. Got it for $50 so couldn't pass that up. Fast forward to last week when I started getting graphical issues with vertical lines and the whole screen was a purple/pinkish tint. It was an E74 error so I sent it back today.

What is the ETA now on sending back consoles to MS for repair and how long are they taking to get back? And will they repair this one or just plop a refurbished one in the box and send it back? And are they (hopefully) sending me a model that has actual stable hardware (if there is such a thing). This is the first console I've had actually go out on me so I'm a bit new to this.

Great, looks like I'm getting the E74 blinking red error. My xbox is out of warranty and MS wants $120 to repair it. Are there any tricks I should try before I go and buy a refurb at gamestop or a new slim?

mikespit1200 said:
Great, looks like I'm getting the E74 blinking red error. My xbox is out of warranty and MS wants $120 to repair it. Are there any tricks I should try before I go and buy a refurb at gamestop or a new slim?
I don't know about tricks but never buy a used 360. Ever. Get the Slim.

Mikey Jr.

-Sorry for the bump.

Ok, so I have been playing Dragon Age for the 360. 2 days ago, it froze. So I restarted and it was fine. Few hours later, another freeze. Restarted, and it started freezing right at the title screen. Didn't even get into the game. So I deleted the hard drive install and reinstalled. Seemed to work. Then it started freezing again, so played with the disc only, and as soon as the game started, it said cannot read disc or whatever.

Looked at the disk and it looked perfect. Despite deleting cache, installing on HDD, not putting it on HDD, it either freezes or says could not read disk. So I got the disc cleaned, and still nothing. Same shit.

So I put in Lego Batman, and it starts up, but when it begins to load the first level and is black, the game freezes. Just stays black. I have tried this several times, and is the same thing. The game is in mint condition. During the loading screen it showed this rockman thing, and his graphics were kinda messed up.

I noticed too that I once put in the game, the xbox just said "play dvd" rather than play dragon age. Did that once though. I selected it, and it took me to some control features like rewind and fast forward.

Just put in the game Pure, and on the course, some of the graphics are fucked up. Like some geometry getting stretched and and trailer is completely black. Not huge, but you can see it. Tracks seem to be loading ok though.

I am really not sure what to do here. My xbox is an xbox elite, bought it brand new 2 Christmas ago, so 2009. I am Canadian as well, if that matters.

I have never had a problem like this, so I am really confused on what to do here. Thanks guys.

I can also install games fine though which is weird, so is it the drive or something inside like some chip or something?

Hey guys,

I brought a 360 slim (250GB) with Kinect over the holidays and was playing a game of Monday Night Combat with a friend tonight when my xbox froze. I tried restarting it, but when I did I found it took a very long time to boot and would seem to get stuck on the Xbox 360 logo for about 2-3 minutes. After that time has passed it would boot to the dashboard but would only recognise the HDD as 'unformatted' and would not let me sign in to my gamer profile.

I've come to the conclusion that the HDD has been corrupted and after a number of google searches I have found no way to save my data.

Is it safe to say I'm screwed and I should reformat my hard drive, or is there a way of saving my data?

Top Bottom