• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"My Xbox 360 Died and I Lived to tell the story" Official Thread

tmarques

My ethernet port seems to have died for no apparent reason. Can't even test the connection, the console tells me to plug in a cable. Router light remains off when connected to the Xbox. I know it's not the cable/modem/router because it works fine if I unplug it from the 360 and plug it into a notebook or the PS3.

Any possibilities I might be overlooking?

I'm debating whether it's worth paying Microsoft 100 bucks to trade my 60GB Falcon - which works fine otherwise - for a refurbished one or if I should buy a 250GB slim already. Will I still need that stupid transfer kit to move content from a fat to a slim?

Also, in the meantime - I have some stuff in my download queue which I purchased before realising my ethernet port was dead. Is there anyway to download it to the PC and move it to the Xbox via USB?

Thanks.

Izayoi

Banned
So I just bought a new Slim, and I'm wondering what kind of failure rates we're looking at here.

If it's reasonably high I think I'll just return it and put the money toward a PS3 or the 3DS.

I've still got like 50 days until I don't get a full refund, but I am curious.

Mdk7

My very first 360 (the one i gave my girlfriend after the nice present i got from Microsoft just for attending their E3 conference... :D) died yesterday.
Of course the warranty is over, so i'll have to buy a new one (they told me the repair cost is 110 Euros). -_-

lucius

You can buy the extended 2 year warranty from Microsoft so your Slim wil be covered 3 years. I have a new Slim and plan to buy the warranty next month.

So my 360 has been on the fritz for a bit. It finally kicked the bucket today. I already had it replaced once, and it's been fine for a couple years. Will microsoft replace it at this point? Or should I just go slim?

Seventy5

I bit the bullet & used some Gamestop credit to buy my 5th 360 on 12/29. It was the very last of the original Xboxes they had and I got it for $120. I signed up for Live on the 4th and played Black Ops & L4D2 with my old buddies for a couple of months until 2/26 when the power supply fan apparently freaked the fuck out and the system wouldn't boot up. I admit I rage quit a CoDBlops match the night before, but I played some L4D2 and it was fine. Gamestop took it back defective despite the fact that it was over the 30 days because my friends there did me a huge favor, and I figured I'd just use the credit for a slim when I get my bonus at the end of the month....until I tried to cancel my Live sub.

My sub was set to renew on 3/4, but apparently MS bills on the 1st, which was news to me. I tried to take my credit card off the account on the 3rd but it said there was a transaction pending and wouldn't let me, so I called the 800 number. I told the rep what happened and that I just want to go silver until I get a new system in a few weeks, and I can't use Live anyway. He says he can't do it unless I pay for March. We go round & round for 20 minutes until I ask for a supervisor. The supervisor is a huge douche and suggests I just ok the charge, load my profile onto a USB stick and play on Live at a friend's house until I buy a new system. This was my 5th fucking 360, which I swore off after my 4th died, and stupidly decided to buy to play with my cousin & some friends with, and now I have to cancel the debit card I use for PSN & Steam because I refuse to add money to it and allow MS to charge me $10 for service I can't use because of their broken shit. They won't remove a charge for service that hadn't even started yet because they bill earlier than my cycle, and won't take off ten fucking dollars to keep me as a customer, which I explained to this dick. He said if I don't pay it, MS just won't accept that card for Live in the future. I told him that MS doesn't ever have to worry about me trying to use ANY credit card with them in the future. All my games will get traded in the next time Gamestop has a trade in deal and I'll get PS3 or DS games. Fuck you in the face MS.

AniHawk

welp, my 360 had a good run: 3 years, 5 months. might not get another one, but i'm also contemplating selling the games if i decide not to get another one.

only games i'm looking forward to this year are fez and mass effect 3 (because of my precious save files). at least i got beyond good & evil hd out of it as one last ride.

second system to die on me. only other one was my 20+ year old nes.

Why For?

Banned
Had my S go fucked on me last night.

It TECHNICALLY works, but I think my HDMI port is fucked. Since November, I've been using it with HDMI and Optical at the same time, because my amp didn't support HDMI Audio.

So I opened up my new amp, and unplugged the optical.

Noticed yesterday that the 360 was running in 5.1. Thought it might be the amp, so I fiddled with settings, nothing. PS3, HD DVD player, Media player all ok in 5.1, but not the 360.

Switched the HDMI cables, same issue. Switched the HDMI cab;es back and then BANG. 360 has no audio whatsoever and thinks it has a DVI cable plugged in.

That's right, DVI. When I went to display settings, it said DVI and gave me all the resolution options like VGA does. When I turned the Xbox on, the TV said VGA, the Amp said HDMI (because a HDMI cable was in) and the 360 said DVI, and it gave me NO auio even once I plugged the optical cable in.

I've packed it up now, so I can swap it for a new one, but I wish I had taken a photo of it before I did. I think the real story here is the DVI though. I mean, I didn't even think DVI for 360 even existed.

Plasmid

My 2nd 360 is getting up there, constantly sounds like it's reading the disk such as grinding or whatever, gonna probably have to get a new one soon :[[[.

e:

Since i'm posting here anyway, i'm obviously going to have to get a new 360 eventually. What variations of the 250GB slim are there?

My 360s has felt the power, or lack of power with a now broken PSU, the thing will not stop overheating and turning off after 20 minutes. Gave support a ring and i'm just waiting for the sticker to come though so I can send it off.

Sucks, 2 weeks without my 360 :(

zsswimmer

Got 2 red rings today, I know that means its indicating that it's overheating so does that mean my Xbox is on its last legs? I have it sitting up vertically which I thought was a better position anyways with plenty of space. IDK man, if its going to fail please fail after the Gears of War 3 beta ;_;

Sorry for the little bump and I tried looking for another thread to ask this but this seems to be the closest..... my xbox seems to be jammed. The Disk reader is not opening when I tried. Everything else is working fine. Here In canada they are doing the trade in your xbox and get another for 29.99 Cdn. Does the traded in xbox have to be fully functional ( no problems)?

So my 360 keeps freezing up. It looks like if I want to enjoy my backlog of games into the future, I'm going to have to buy the same damn console for a 3rd time.

How I pine for the good old days of when you'd buy a console and it would last you a lifetime. My NES/SNES/64/PSX/PS2/NGC/Gameboy and Gameboy Pocket are still going strong. The only one that passed away was my beloved Atari 2600 but that was like 30 years old.

Shame on you Microsoft.

Shame.

ascully

My old 2006 model 360 finally red ringed this week (13th 360 I have owned, has lots of replacements from MS that keep breaking down) It's way out of warranty so I am calling it a day on this one. Just one 360 left a MW2 Jasper which is still going strong.

Speevy

Banned
I think I asked this in another thread, but I can't seem to locate that one.

Do we have anyone on this forum who works in Xbox customer service? B-Rad Lascelle is perma-banned from what I can tell.

Chris R

Great deal on 360s at amazon right now for people looking to get back in (or preventivly buying replacement 360s for when their older models finally rrod like me).

50 credit and 1600 points.

def sim

If any of you duders have the chance, can one of you try to watch season 2, episode 14 of Parks and Recreation on Hulu to see if it freezes your 360?

On PC I noticed it stutters at the point my 360 would freeze, but would like to confirm my fairly new S isn't fucked. Thanks in advance!

teraMEL0S

Coincidentally, I watched all of season 2 yesterday on Hulu Plus, and I had no problems. Although, I do notice that the application itself takes a lot longer to boot up in comparison to Netflix for some reason.

def sim

It's the only thing freezing my 360 and I can't figure out why. I'd usually call MS and send it in, but I get the feeling this might be Hulu's fault.

This is the exact scene my 360 freezes on, by the way.

freezescene.png

My disc tray keeps opening and closing on it's own. It's like my console is haunted. I can't even play any games anymore. I don't know if I should get it repaired for $123 dollars or just buy a slim with 2 games for $299 because I've been needing a new hard drive too (my current 360 has a 20gb hard drive).

Also, would I be able to transfer all of my data from an old 20gb 360 hard drive to the new slim one? Would I need both consoles to be on to do the transfer?

Schattenjäger

Gabriel Knight
Rrod - have a stranger fix or send to ms ???

Not sure which way to proceed - I need to get this stupid error fixed

I've looked online and it seems like it is pretty easy but I just haven't had the time

skyfinch

This is a bit different. I had an old 20 gig that died on me a couple years back. Everything was working fine but then, all of a sudden, the thing wouldn't read any discs. Everything else was working fine.

So I went out and bought a slim right around launch.

Just yesterday, I decided to hook up the old Xbox, so I can use to stream music/video, and for the hell of it, I popped in Forza 3. It worked! Played a few hours yesterday with no problems. What the hell? Guess I'll use the old xbox until it breaks down.

With all the Xbox's dying in this thread, mine comes back to life. :O

Einbroch

Banned
My 360 that I've had for 4 years finally crapped out on me. Blinking green light. Sad day, indeed. Friend said it was the DVD drive. It doesn't even open or close anymore. He took it apart to look at it and everything looked to be in order; no missing cords, nothing seemingly wrong with it. I guess this is final nail in the coffin for my 360 days. I have a PS3, Wii, and decent (not amazing) computer, so I don't see myself purchasing a 360 ever again. All the jRPGs I wanted to play on the 360 have been played.

Farewell, friend. You served me well. /salute

BitchTits

2nd 360 died. This refurb from MS is over a year old, so it's to the rubbish tip for him. Right on the threshold of SSF4:AE too, I even bought space bucks for it!

I will never, ever buy another MS console again after having two shit out on me - that is crazy to me, I still have 8 and 16-bit consoles that work perfectly.

richiek

steals Justin Bieber DVDs
Welp, my Xbox 360 Jasper that I had since 2008 finally crapped out on me. There is no video outputting from the system at all, from both component and VGA. This was my second console after my first RROD on me. I just downloaded Super Street Fighter 4: AE, too. Fuck. I guess I'll have to get a new S version now. What I want to know is, will GameStop buy back broken Xbox 360s for credit?

smuf

First 360 died last year, got a refurb for free. The refurb's red ringed on me now and Microsoft wants €70 to fix it. What are the chances of me getting another bad refurb?

bengraven

My Xbox is fucked, someone help!

1) freezes within 3 minutes of playing a game
2) have tried multiple games, even XBLA games freeze
3) cleaned any dust out of vents in the system and power cord
4) removed hard drive and tested - still froze w/o hdd
5) cleared cache

Anything else I can do before it RRoD on me?

I really really want to play RDR right now.

geedundee

Neo Member
hey every now and again this thread gets bumped.

if my box started to freeze or red ringed even e74 i did the following

i was able to take my xbox apart with a pair of scissors( no special screw drivers needed) remove the disk drive, heat the heat sink below the drive for 3 x 2 minutes with a 5 minute break in between(with a heat gun maybe even a hair dryer if your stuck).

keep your box open and place a fan on top of your box(a table fan) i did this before xmas till i got another xbox. you may need to reheat once a week but it works

this is only for original xboxes no idea if it works for slims

i never tried to reassemble my box

this may be a bit ghetto but totally works

you cant borrow my hair dryer!

only my second post maybe my last :)

Shiv47

My Slim 360 started malfunctioning about a week ago, where while playing a disc-based game, it would randomly kick me back to the dashboard. This only happened a couple times, so I didn't think much of it. Then Friday it happened again, and the unit proceeded to repeatedly turn on after I shut it off, and the disc eject button stopped working. Fortunately the tray was popping in and out, so I got my disc.

So I go to the Xbox site to get a repair started, and it turns out that my warranty expired TWO FUCKING DAYS AGO. FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU My rage is such that I don't want to give MS a fucking cent.

Branson

Hey guys, wondering if my xbox is on the fritz.
20gFTl.jpg

This keeps on happening on Black Ops. And only BO so far, not on Netflix, or Forza 3. Uh oh? its freezing when this happens.

Branson said:
20gFTl.jpg

This keeps on happening on Black Ops. And only BO so far, not on Netflix, or Forza 3. Uh oh? its freezing when this happens.

Yep. Your GPU is dying. E74 error heading your way.

Well the day has come. My launch 360 finally joined its console brethren the PS1 and PS2 in Console Heaven. Was playing FFXIII and the game crashed. I was worried and restarted the game. Next thing you know, I see the light pattern I was worried about. The system still works but its only a matter of time before its permanently out of commission.

RIP buddy
X1 11/25/2005-7/11/2011
:(

Wanted to get Kinect soon anyway, this will just expedite that process. Debating when the right time to buy a new one would be.

Unicorn

My 360 RROD the other day when I was trying to clear Red Dead Redemption from my backlog.

Ironic, I know.

I've had my 360 for just over 3 years.

My friend is trying to convince me to buy another one, "Because the slims won't RROD"

Frankly, I don't care. I'm probably going to trade in all my 360 games and just get the games I really want to play for ps3 and start over. What a fucking mess.

Branson said:
20gFTl.jpg

Fuck, mine is doing the same thing and I was just streaming media from my laptop and then just sitting at the dashboard seeing if it would happen again =/

Sydle

My 2008 Xbox 360 just died. The three-year warranty was set to expire at the beginning of September, so I suppose it's better now than after that date. Customer service was nice and friendly, everything is free. I'm sad that it happened during Summer of Arcade...I was going to buy all the games on release date (I just bought Bastion and spent only about an hour with it). Bah!

I've read a lot of stories of people getting refurbs that RROD again. Thinking I should just buy a new slim...

(Sorry, not going to read through all these pages to check)

But, what are the failure rates on the Slim version? From what little I've been able to determine, it doesn't seem like a problem anymore (re: Normal Console rates now). Is that about right?

Shipped my console on Monday
They got it Tuesday
They shipped it back Wednesday
Should be here Thursday

Thats quick service, wow

w00t, its back and with a free month of Gold Live to boot

Top Bottom