• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NAtURAL DOCtRINE Import |OT| - GAME OVER MAN! GAME OVER!

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
@Parakeetman
How many hours you're in and think to finish the game? Did you do most/all of the side quests/dungeon/whatnot?

Yeah Ive been doing all the side dungeons. I would tell you my play time, but there was a bug that literally caused my playtime to be in the 160 hrs range currently with my save data. But I can tell you right away that Ive most def put in at least over 40 hours into the game. That mostly comes from a lot of leveling, collecting pluton (the element used for magic). But the game will most def give you your money's worth.

From where Im at Id say possibly another 10 hours maybe. Since I know Ill have to keep trying to harvest pluton or else would get roflstomped in the story levels. Generally runs through the free maps can take pretty long ranging from 20-40+ minutes. And this is going off being experience with the games mechanics and brute forcing my way through things, rather than being a lot more careful and trying to think things out a bit more lol. What I mean by this is performing a lot more high risk type of tactics which will work at clearing out sections faster, but if I screw up basically just wasted all time spent in the level by dying.

The way this title is designed, is you will need to hit up the extra dungeons to level up and such. Since you really need the a lot of the skills to be unlocked with skill points gained from levels earned. That and its not a title you could "rush" through just by doing the story missions either as you will literally get chewed to pieces if you do not level up / are missing some of the essential skills.

Parakeetman

did you made any progress ? I love reading that post and can't wait to play this game

Ive been playing on and off work kicked up into high gear so am quite busy unfortunately. But currently am restocking on pluton as Im pretty sure the next fight is going to be another one thats going to drain me another 10 units or something close to a stupid high number like that lol. Will try to play a bit on the weekend and see if I can take down the next boss.

One could set it to easy to get by without having to rely on as much magic, but takes the point out of the masochistic challenge of normal mode.

The collection is going slow though as really need to make sure I dont go wasting more pluton fighting the shit standing in the way of the chests that contain it than I do with the amount collected. D: At least on the plus side some of my other characters leveled up another level which means another highly valuable skill point for allocation. Since seriously skill points are the lifeblood in the game with your characters as it does make a huge diff personally.

Once again I will warn people for when you get your hands on the game and do the actual story related missions BE SURE YOU FIND EVERY SINGLE PIECE OF TREASURE POSSIBLE. Dont be like me and miss shit = filled with regret. Since we cant replay story levels. And some of the stuff within the story levels are actual weapons / accessories that do help out. I still kick myself in the ass every time I look at my inventory which reminds me of some stuff I missed out on... Its usually like at least 2 chests if they are present.

Im pretty sure I would have been done with the game if I didnt get side tracked by SAO: HF haha

ranmafan

Gotta second that recommendation on the story mission treasure chests. Don't miss anything at all. Im playing on easy and its still a pain, so getting every weapon and bit of pluton helps.

Speaking of easy mode, I noticed the game was patched recently where that mode was changed a bit. Yet I don't see it any easier. Really can't imagine how much harder this game is in normal let alone hard. Easy is a real pain. Fun pain, but a pain none the less.

Parakeetman

I fought the boss and dear god it was worse than the previous one. Might have some sort of idea how to beat it though, just going to have to be really careful and not screw up my turns.

Parakeetman

Nice that a trailer is at least out. Autumn eh? Thats not too bad. Seems like summer & after is going to be a good time to be a Vita owner thats for sure.

*Edit

Which reminds me Ill go add this to the OT. And done added to the top with special thanks to Alastor3 for the link to the vid.

Am currently cooking so playing on my vita while I wait for the stuff soup to cook. Need to be sitting near the pot watching it to make sure it doesnt boil over.

One problem with the trailer is personally it shows off too many bosses... Then again since its not like the normal fights are exactly "exciting" to look at guess they really didnt have a choice otherwise.

mdubs

Banned
Based on everyone's impressions it seems like this game is going to be really hard, do you think that they'll tone down the difficulty or at least create an optional easier difficulty for the localization? Would like to play this game but really not too interested if it is going to be ball-bustingly hard

Parakeetman

Based on everyone's impressions it seems like this game is going to be really hard, do you think that they'll tone down the difficulty or at least create an optional easier difficulty for the localization? Would like to play this game but really not too interested if it is going to be ball-bustingly hard

Doubt it.

With how poorly it sold in Japan + along side that it was obviously sent out to die seriously doubt Kadokawa will put any sort of resources into improving the US version in any way shape or form. Just be happy that you guys will be getting the latest patched version since the game here when released had save file breaking bugs in it among other things.

Sides the game already has 3 difficulty settings.

Parakeetman

Beat the boss, on to the next nightmare of a stage.

The fight wasnt that bad just takes a while...

Parakeetman

I guess it to be two hours?

Nah Id say it took about 30 minutes. The previous boss was actually harder due to its attack pattern / damage output.

Dont read if you want to keep it fresh
its due to the boss backing itself in a corner so you only have 1 side for potential hits on your attacks. As it will pretty much guard at least 80-90% of everything else in the direction it faces where your golem is. Even without that it still has a chance to block attacks from the other direction. Ranged characters need to be kept 2 blocks away or else he 1 shots them with a spell. Being 2 spaces away = cant give support fire. Even when you do get a chance to shoot from 2 spaces away with the snipe skill he still can block 80% of the time. Thankfully he doesnt seem to melee attack and just guards most of the time when you are right next to him. Though he will keep summoning 3 skeletons (2 knights 1 gunner) around him after a few turns.

The boss's life is

Was going to record a vid but am pretty sick so was playing on the vita as I lie here incapacitated on the floor. Might turn in for the night soon. As need to be in the office as usual tomorrow.

Parakeetman

That has to be the most unmatching music in a trailer I have ever seen/heard :lol This game looks interesting though :D

If you really want something different and insanely challenging then by all means pick the game up.

Watch the vids I threw up in the OT to get an idea of what the "beautiful" graphics look like lol. If that doesnt turn you off and you like weird strategy rpgs then you should have a good time.

Maybe... :D

can't wait to play this on PS4 once the localized version hits NA!

the box art is beautiful, hopefully NA receives the same box art.
1393247846-natural-doctrine-ps4-box-art.jpg

Parakeetman

Ill be looking forward to the US OT and reading folks impressions of the game lol.

---

WARNING SPOILERS

for those curious about the fight I just went to heres footage some JP player recorded of it. Since a lot of folks apparently have trouble with the boss battle. On easy though it seems to be a lot more forgiving.
Same with the previous boss battle someone stated they beat that boss without using any pluton. Its insane how much this person has, considering Im usually only running around the mid 10s most of the time.

Anyways heres the vid below. Leaving it in link form so no image link spoils anything. Watch at own risk.

WARNING SPOILERS WARNING SPOILERS WARNING SPOILERS
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZA7iIB_KYZU

Parakeetman

Now that I have a Vita, forget what I said earlier in this thread, looking forward to this.

Will be nice if they release the physical PS4 / PS3 + digital vita version as the data save transfer works flawlessly.

But game is perfectly fine on the PSV also. Just expect slightly longer loading times thats about it though.

Parakeetman

Btw the latest patch made easy mode easier, which should be appreciated since from what I was hearing, it still was pretty soul crushing hard.

They added more checkpoints in the levels. Though not sure if that helps much considering, but still its better than starting a stage totally over again.

Although they went and made the game fucking harder by now only one character can
repair the golem, being Mel. Nebula can no longer heal it with his magic also. So a whole turn will have to be wasted with healing the golem since its either control Mel or the Golem not both. Therefore leaving the golem open to more attacks right after. It was hard enough with being able to heal from 2 different sources. Now with just a single source makes it stupid personally.

Also the sleep spell does not seem to be as effective as it used to be. Which is another huge fucking problem, considering how much of a pain it is to gather pluton as is. Then going and wasting 0.5 on a spell is just a bad idea if the percentages are low. Dont even think you can see the percentage for the sleep spell. But there are accessories you can wear which "supposedly" raises the effectiveness with chance to sleep of the spell.

Parakeetman

Still expecting the difficulty lowered across all modes for the NA release.

I'll give the NA version a try when it's released.

I kinda wonder about that seeing how the sick bastards behind the game went and made it harder mechanics wise... lol.

You folks are going to have a good time with a lesser effective sleep spell thats for sure...

Though still its a unique title and if the price is right by all means do check it out. As I honestly do want to hear what folks have to say about the title and see whos left standing after.

Been interested in the concept behind this game for quite a while, it looks really different. Will be playing it on my Vita, it seems like a better fit for a handheld console that on a big screen (too many words to read, too many precise movements, etc).

Parakeetman

Been interested in the concept behind this game for quite a while, it looks really different. Will be playing it on my Vita, it seems like a better fit for a handheld console that on a big screen (too many words to read, too many precise movements, etc).

The "omochidashi" pack was fantastic since it was nice switching between the console / portable one and uploading / downloading the saves was easy.

Though kinda funny how I didnt really need to get that one considering Im just playing on my PSV TV all the time. But since the West doesnt have it yet, wouldnt be too bad of a deal. Though not sure if NISA is going to go that route. Since am sure they want to keep their costs down esp with how I cant imagine this game selling a lot in the US. Reviewers are going to freak out over it and not in a good way lol.

Still very much interested!

Its just still pretty far off for now.

haha might be a good thing considering how many titles are coming out in the upcoming months, dear god...

Though still its a unique title and if the price is right by all means do check it out. As I honestly do want to hear what folks have to say about the title and see whos left standing after.
There are very few gamers who like challenging tactics games. Not many, I would bet.

Parakeetman

There are very few gamers who like challenging tactics games. Not many, I would bet.

This game is particularly brutal if you do not learn the mechanics and if you dont seriously gives the impression that enemies have unlimited turns. With how the game doesnt really go into depth, leaves those who are not into "experimenting" at a huge disadvantage which Id imagine they will freak out and toss their Vitas into the wall. lol

Some of the stage designs / scenarios they put you up against are pretty crazy too. Though there is a certain feeling of accomplishment if you do survive.

But man this isnt exactly a good "platform" for Kadokawa to be standing on with them trying to show off what happens when they fully develop something themselves.

Still with all of that asides I still enjoy the game quite a lot. But really do not appreciate the devs making shit harder than it already is with the latest changes. On top of them not even having announced it officially. Considering the game is hard enough as is, really does not do the tiny fanbase as is any favors by increasing the difficulty by screwing with the game mechanics.

I hate to say this but from your impressions I may just play this on easy. I do like to have me a challenge, but from the impressions that I've been reading around, things can get pretty brutal

Parakeetman

I hate to say this but from your impressions I may just play this on easy. I do like to have me a challenge, but from the impressions that I've been reading around, things can get pretty brutal

I can say right away that might be a smart choice. Since otherwise you will be spending a lot of time grinding more for pluton rather than exp lol.

From what Ive read on JP wikis on easy its possible to beat some of the bosses without using too much magic. Which I imagine is a huge godsend with what a pain in the ass it is to collect.

Though this isnt a game you can rush through as not being up to par in levels or skills usually will get you sent to the game over screen pretty quick. Even if you are the proper, level it still can be fairly dangerous as the enemy will whittle you down if you give them the chance.

So for those who want to pick it up, expect a title you will have to invest time into. Most def play it the way you want to in terms of difficulty. No reason to be crazy like me and continue on in normal. I dont even want to think what the fuck hard mode is like.

Parakeetman

I expect this and maybe some of the dlc being given to NA gamers with the base game.

There wasnt any DLC that was release as far as I know. Dont think this game really will get much support domestically too here in Japan considering how poorly it did overall sales wise.

The only thing that they had was "credits" for the MP mode for players. Asides from that nothing else really. That was more for an apology with the fuck up they had with the 1.0.1 patch breaking shit more than the game did in its original state with killing save files among other things.

Will be interesting to see how NISA plans on marketing it. Do wish positive sales for them though. But man what a gamble taken on the title.

Parakeetman

Has anyone played the Vita version? How does it hold up graphically? Suitable game for a daily commute?

If you read the OT you would see that I have.

Yes it is, but on the other hand dont be expecting to speed through levels. Also once again if you paid attention the the OT you would see that I have put videos up from the Vita version, though it is running on the PS Vita TV its basically what you can expect.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z1m1ou7QCa0

Parakeetman

seems like the ps4 version is getting 2 exclusive scenario DLCs. these are 2 single player missions and boast a high difficulty level. as if the game isnt hard enough as is.

goes live as free DLC from the 10th of July.

So, how is the end consensus? This game appeared on my radar a while ago, but I forgot completely about it. Someone mentioned it on another thread and I came here to see how it is. From what I've read so far, the game is extremely hard, and they made it even harder. But what about story and length? I've read here something about 40h for the main quest, is that right? How many more with sidequests and post-game completion?

Parakeetman

So, how is the end consensus? This game appeared on my radar a while ago, but I forgot completely about it. Someone mentioned it on another thread and I came here to see how it is. From what I've read so far, the game is extremely hard, and they made it even harder. But what about story and length? I've read here something about 40h for the main quest, is that right? How many more with sidequests and post-game completion?

do think the game will take pretty long just due to how its designed. as you do need to level and collect the resource thats used for magic.

there are not really any side quests as much as non essential dungeons. story is a bit of a mess but the gameplay itself is solid if you take the time to understand the game system.

other design choices may be maddening though.

so in closing game isnt really for everyone but those that want a real challenge are sure to find it with this game

do think the game will take pretty long just due to how its designed. as you do need to level and collect the resource thats used for magic.

there are not really any side quests as much as non essential dungeons. story is a bit of a mess but the gameplay itself is solid if you take the time to understand the game system.

other design choices may be maddening though.

so in closing game isnt really for everyone but those that want a real challenge are sure to find it with this game

Thank you, very good info. Will wait for a bit then.

Parakeetman

Thank you, very good info. Will wait for a bit then.

coming from me though will say i enjoyed it for what it was but most def its not a game for everyone and i know the mainstream gaming press will cry piss and moan about it.

while i do like NISA and am glad they are bringing it to the west if you are just curious about the title wait fora price drop.i wouldnt suggest a fellow GAF member to run blindly into the game at full price thats why.

for those who want a challenging and unique srpg gameplay experience by all means go in full.

main reason why the game is so hard is that if any party member dies its game over. so even the smallest mistake will lead to a huge loss in time. but at least for the most part you will know it was your own fault lol

I just saw a video review of this game and the reviewer said that the game has coop, how does this work?

From what I understand this game doesn't have the best tutorial out there. Are the cardboard systems explained somewhere in the game or are you supposed to figure these things out by yourself?

Last questions for now: will you make the new OT or will this be the OT for the western version as well?

Doombear

Personally, I think that updating the title and keeping the OT here makes sense. Parakeetman has dumped a lot of nice info on us in here and I think it would be useful to anyone picking up the NA/EU versions.

Kind of like the SAO OT, just gets reborn. Only difference, I think Natural Doctrine is going to see much less traffic. Another reason for keeping this as the OT I would think.

Parakeetman

I just saw a video review of this game and the reviewer said that the game has coop, how does this work?

From what I understand this game doesn't have the best tutorial out there. Are the cardboard systems explained somewhere in the game or are you supposed to figure these things out by yourself?

Last questions for now: will you make the new OT or will this be the OT for the western version as well?

its slightly explained in the game but lot of it came from experimentation and constant trial and error.

coop is just a mp mode that puts you against enemies with another player on a specific map.

not sure if ill do a US OT but can ask duckroll what they think about conversion of this one.

am pretty sure here on gaf am one of the very few who had made it past the 75% mark with the game.

schedule and the so called 'balancing' patch made it more difficult for meto commit time to clear the game.

can help new people too since know the system well enough.

but most def dont expect many folks tomake it with the title due its design

its slightly explained in the game but lot of it came from experimentation and constant trial and error.

coop is just a mp mode that puts you against enemies with another player on a specific map.

So each person is controlling a couple of characters?

am pretty sure here on gaf am one of the very few who had made it past the 75% mark with the game.

schedule and the so called 'balancing' patch made it more difficult for meto commit time to clear the game.

Did the patch make the game more difficult, why?

Parakeetman

So each person is controlling a couple of characters?

Did the patch make the game more difficult, why?

I think you pick selected MP specific classes to play as. I havent really messed with MP but watched vids of JP players messing with it. Since you have a "deck" so to speak and units have point cost and from there you make your party to use. VS is like that and there are pretty broken party setups from what I understand.

its more difficult due to how they made the whole healing of the golem work, its pretty much useless for the most part now. You could heal it with nebula which would allow you to constantly keep using the golem, where as now you have to waste a turn to use mel? I forgot her name to heal the damned golem. The way the golem works is that you either can move the chick or the golem. But not both. The golem is literally your brick wall so if that thing gets messed up you are basically stuck healing it all the time. So they really fucked that up, unless they added a spell where nebula has to go far down his skill tree to be able to heal the golem. But they most def did change it and not tell anyone about it.

I think you pick selected MP specific classes to play as. I havent really messed with MP but watched vids of JP players messing with it. Since you have a "deck" so to speak and units have point cost and from there you make your party to use. VS is like that and there are pretty broken party setups from what I understand.

its more difficult due to how they made the whole healing of the golem work, its pretty much useless for the most part now. You could heal it with nebula which would allow you to constantly keep using the golem, where as now you have to waste a turn to use mel? I forgot her name to heal the damned golem. The way the golem works is that you either can move the chick or the golem. But not both. The golem is literally your brick wall so if that thing gets messed up you are basically stuck healing it all the time. So they really fucked that up, unless they added a spell where nebula has to go far down his skill tree to be able to heal the golem. But they most def did change it and not tell anyone about it.

As I understands it a lot of the critisism around the game was that it was too hard, seems strange that the way they adressed this with the patch was by making the game even harder. :|

Parakeetman

As I understands it a lot of the critisism around the game was that it was too hard, seems strange that the way they adressed this with the patch was by making the game even harder. :|

The idiots I bet thought it was a good idea to "balance" the game. Since all they did was basically take out the largest tool you need to actually win and hold off larger enemies. Since your normal characters cant exactly take blows from the large enemies and expect to survive, even more so when followed up by the little enemies chipping away at your HP after.

Since all it takes is just a single death and game over. Which also includes the golem.

The idiots I bet thought it was a good idea to "balance" the game. Since all they did was basically take out the largest tool you need to actually win and hold off larger enemies. Since your normal characters cant exactly take blows from the large enemies and expect to survive, even more so when followed up by the little enemies chipping away at your HP after.

Since all it takes is just a single death and game over. Which also includes the golem.

I see.

I have been watching a lot of videos from the game and the Vita version looks crazy over saturated, can you confirm if that is the case.

Top Bottom