• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nazi's really are the best all-time villian

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
I like the helghast space nazisw even better than normal nazis
I actually kinda dislike the helghast because of the absurd lengths Killzone's plots go through to include "they aren't that bad and are actually victims of your faction" into the lore and such. When they look like this:
kzsf_fe_2013-10-08_helghast-infantry_03.jpg
The eyes of their helmets have literally gotten angrier overtime...

joe_zazen

Lol I always prefer the British as the bad guys.

Boer War. Brits invented concentration camps there, love to play a Boer war game. Or maybe use the time the US Army overthrew the Hawaiian government to make US businessmen happy. I'd love to play a pissed off Hawaiian out for revenge in 1890s.

Stiler

Maybe on the surface, and how they are designed in most games it's easy to because the games often portray them as your stereotypical Nazi's and nothing more.

Germany used pow's and conscripted many people into its armies who didn't want to fight for them.

IE:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ostlegionen

No game is really going to touch that kind of thing though when it comes to games.

Lucumo

Would love to kill some Americans for a change, as opposed to Nazis, Russians, the Viet Cong and terrorists...and zombies. Guess we would need different developers/publishers for that.

Jawmuncher

Nazis definitely look the part. They're so stylishly evil, just look at Wolf 2. Evil as fuck, but they look good doing it. Reminds of why people like the helghast from killzone, since they're basically a mix of storm troopers and Nazis. If they didn't look as cool as they did, I doubt we'd have gotten 4 games out of them.

also, nobody (Germans notwithstanding) will get offended if you decapitate a Nazi...so they were pretty much the safest human based enemies a player can fight without triggering anyone.

I actually kinda dislike the helghast because of the absurd lengths Killzone's plots go through to include "they aren't that bad and are actually victims of your faction" into the lore and such. When they look like this:

The eyes of their helmets have literally gotten angrier overtime...
No that's only if u played the last game or just bandwagon on popular opinion not surprising

I don't know. Nazis, Communists, Arabs, Africans, Koreans, Chinese... It get's boring... I'd like to be from one of these factions at least once and face Americans or Allies "the good guys" as the enemy. But we all know it won't happen... studios won't withstand the backlash from way too many easily offended folks during these days.

Nickle

Cool Facts: Game of War has been a hit since July 2013
I wish there were edgier enemies to kill, Nazi's are so boring and safe. I'd love more enemies like in Far Cry 5, those make a much bolder political statement.

nkarafo

Nazis definitely look the part. They're so stylishly evil, just look at Wolf 2. Evil as fuck, but they look good doing it. Reminds of why people like the helghast from killzone, since they're basically a mix of storm troopers and Nazis. If they didn't look as cool as they did, I doubt we'd have gotten 4 games out of them.
Real Nazi officers looked great too. Those uniforms by Hugo Boss look stylish and intimidating af.

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
This is exactly why I hate stealth missions. Killing dudes who are actively shooting you is one thing, but sneaking around and slitting the throats of some young kids who likely don't want to be there (and may even surrender if provoked) has never sat right with me.

I've never liked military games because of this, but this is doubly true of action games like Uncharted. Just feels gross.

Give me some zombies, aliens, monsters, or let me sneak around everybody please.

Hmm, that's a really interesting observation. Stealth games are my favorite genre due to the gameplay (I enjoy slinking around in the shadows, it's a real power fantasy), but you do have a point. In most of these games though, if you're discovered you are generally attacked on sight, so there's some form of justification at least.

Would love to kill some Americans for a change, as opposed to Nazis, Russians, the Viet Cong and terrorists...and zombies. Guess we would need different developers/publishers for that.

I've always wondered about this. I think a game where you kill Americans would be a breath of fresh air, but the developer/publisher would have to have balls of motherfucking steel to release a game like that and withstand the inevitable barrage of criticism and disdain from conservatives, the alt right, and anyone who thinks that Americans have never done anything bad (even though anyone with even a passing interest in history could list off a parade of genocides and dictators that were propped up, funded, and supported by the US of A).

It's why I'm so interested to see how Far Cry 5 turns out. That could be a watershed moment in flipping the script on Nazi/Russian/Arab villains in games.

Alienfan

I haven't played the game but i did play a lot of WW2 shooters.

Killing soldiers should not feel good, whoever they are. Most of the time soldiers are just pawns who have no choice. It's the higher ranks that should feel good to kill.

Yeah that's how I usually feel playing shooters. Aliens, zombies or robots are my more preferred enemy type, or at least having non lethal stealth kills - I don't want to have to think about who I'm killing, because front line soliders generally aren't the bad guys.

I don't know. Nazis, Communists, Arabs, Africans, Koreans, Chinese... It get's boring... I'd like to be from one of these factions at least once and face Americans or Allies as the enemy. But we all know it won't happen... way too many easily offended folks during these days.

Essentially every strategy, tactics and simulation game with a ww2 theme has nazis as the most popular faction by an enormous margin. It's only really campaign focussed shooters where you don't see them as player characters.

Every second game of CoH2 saw you facing down people with online handles like "SS_Panzergrenadier_Division_Adolf_Hitler" and "Tiger_Ace_88".

Spec Ops: The Line and Far Cry 5 sound right up your alley.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
They're the next best thing to Zombies on the I don't care about what I'm killing morality scale. So yeah, I guess they are.

Wolfenstein's Nazis are a particularly special bunch though. Gotta hate their guts.

Shooting Nazis in games is better than shooting Zombies in games because Zombies never made the choice to be evil, Nazis had to make that choice.

Many nations and people hate Nazis, not just America.

Hell, the Germans banned everything to do with Nazis after the war.

Damn right. Fuck Nazis. New Colossus looks goooooood.

And with the modern political situation being what it is it's only gonna be more cathartic on release.

Pizza

I'd love a survival horror game with a twin peaks or hot fuzz vibe where there's a small town that's secretly a KKK stronghold and who knows if Ms Dipsy the florist is secretly a grand wizard

Part LA noir and part Wolfenstein

Matty77

In this thread it seems people do not know the difference between a German soldier and their divisions, and the Nazi Party and the SS.

Yes there were soldiers who did not agree with the regime, surrendered, even plotted against Hitler but they were not Nazis.

No one needs to feel bad for killing members of the Nazi Party, their beliefs and goals were despicable.

ITT ppl are brainwashed by the american popcorn version of history

Well sure, at the microscopic and individual level not all Germans living under Nazi rule or serving in the military were deeply passionate about taking over the world and eradicating "inferior" races; some were just serving their country (like Rommel) and other were coerced/drafted into service to fight for the Third Reich. While anti-semitism grew rampantly under Hitler's rule, I doubt (or at least hope) the final solution would be popular among the public and was not common knowledge to many at the time.

However, in a video game, when you're blasting through level after level killing Nazis, the game doesn't view them at the micro level, but rather the macro level. It's not like the game is trying to represent the individual people who made up the army - I mean it's pretty much the same five character models recycled over and over again - it uses the enemies in games to represent the enemy faction, being a physical extension of their ideals. And that's why killing Nazis is so satisfying in video games, because when you blow up one of their heads with a 12 gauge shotgun, you're not killing Hans Müller, father of three and a patriot of Germany, you're killing some Hitler-loving fuck who wants to take over the world for the master race.

Or he could just come out and say he enjoyed every second of Hatred.

Yeah his comment did come off kind of edgy, but I just gave him the benefit of the doubt and assumed he means the bad Americans, such as how Nazis are just bad Germans and the Communists were viewed as bad Russians/Vietnamese at the time. If he meant just killing Americans for the sake of killing Americans, then he can fuck right off with that request.

nkarafo

Shooting Nazis in games is better than shooting Zombies in games because Zombies never made the choice to be evil, Nazis had to make that choice.
You sure German citizens had a choice?

That's a genuine question. In many European countries there is no such choice. Plus, joining the military for some time is mandatory. Basically, you either go with the flow or you get labeled as a traitor or a deserter which can mean a death sentence in some occasions.

Toa TAK

Banned

Call of Duty and Spec Ops: The Line have you covered.

akira28

Somewhere there is a little vulnerable innocent nazi being chased by an entire town of angry torch wielding farmers.

EYEL1NER

There day 1 for the new Wolfenstein:
wwhxOVX.gif

wolfenstein_2_the_new_colossus_anya_by_digi_matrix-dbcer1j.gif

Fucking hell I can't wait for this game.
I can't stop watching that first gif. Does that first shot that hits the face of the second guy really blast his skin off of his head or am I seeing things?

Argh, I started playing TNO back in 2015 and shelved it in favor of other games. I really need to get back to it.

Germany used pow's and conscripted many people into its armies who didn't want to fight for them.

IE:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ostlegionen

No game is really going to touch that kind of thing though when it comes to games.

Eugen's Steel Division - Normandy 44 (a real time strategy game just published by Paradox) has Ostlegionen as deployable troops. They are pretty weak and with very low morale - the game even explains why, through an info sheet.

Top Bottom