• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nazi's really are the best all-time villian

duckroll

Yeah, but the idea that a shooter can't be the best of a generation without a particular mode, whether it's solo or multi, is silly.

But it is a fair point to consider that each generation of games have different expectations from the audience of the day.

Toa TAK

Banned
But it is a fair point to consider that each generation of games have different expectations from the audience of the day.

Sure. But my thinking is that even if the game has one component that really nails it and is able to "make up" for the lack of either or, it has a shot of being "the best of a gen".

mortal

Gold Member
May not be for everyone, but it certainly isn't generic.
I'm not impressed by it, that's all.

If you think Nazis winning the war and then taking over America (and the fucking moon) with robotic dogs and mutated mech soldiers, erecting massive brutalist superstructures, and then smugly commenting on how much they LOVE strawberry milkshakes is boring and generic, I don't know what to tell you man.
It's so excessively over the top and far removed from reality, that it comes off rather corny. I understand that's sort of the point of that game in particular, but I don't care for it. We've gotten to the point where we've glamorized these wars so much we managed to embolden the image of the Nazi into mythical creature territory.
Human depravity and evil are so much more multifaceted and nuanced, and that hardly ever gets explored in most of these alternate histories. It's always the super Nazi with the comically advance technology who drinks American blood for fuel. I get it, Nazis were some baaad dudes.

I find it even more amusing considering racial prejudice and racial segregation were very much a reality in the Western societies like the United States. I'd much rather see how Nazi's winning WWII would affect that social dynamic.
There is so much correlation with Hitler's racial ideology and the racial ideology in places like the U.S. So this pureblooded Amercian hero vs the Axis of Evil to me is as boring and comically removed from reality.

As modern day image of evil, The Nazi is rather outdated and simplistic when compared to the likes of ISIS or the many oppressive regimes in places of power.

I've been killing nazi fucks since medal of honor days, personally I'd like to see a game where you fucking slaughter ISIS or Boko Haram.

The one downside to the sustained caricature and easiness to dislike, is that I think society has kind of formed a cognitive dissonance around the idea of "Nazis" while supporting a large number of their beliefs.

Over the last few years I think we've definitely been shown how easy it is for people to go down that road (that leads to being a Nazi), while they don't see it happening for themselves at all.

Jeff6851

The one downside to the sustained caricature and easiness to dislike, is that I think society has kind of formed a cognitive dissonance around the idea of "Nazis" while supporting a large number of their beliefs.

Over the last few years I think we've definitely been shown how easy it is for people to go down that road (that leads to being a Nazi), while they don't see it happening for themselves at all.

A lot of people have gotten into the "it can't happen here" mindset.

Nazis? This is America
Starvation? This is America
People die because they can't afford healthcare? Mass surveillance being used for anything other than crimes? People wanting revolution? You name it, people have gotten so used to being comfortable they cannot imagine bad things happening close to them.

These guys are better:

Makes sense especially since the Nazis in that game are probably the 'best' depiction of them ever.

That '14 years sequence' does a helluva lot for BJ and the way the player thinks about his situation and what the people in that universe are experiencing. Even if they weren't Nazis they'd still make for an extremely compelling enemy.

Pyccko

Everybody in here talking that "the average German soldier in ww2 wasn't as bad as the SS" mess needs to read these

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clean_Wehrmacht

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/War_crimes_of_the_Wehrmacht

A sample

German soldiers used to brand the bodies of captured partisan women – and other women as well – with the words "Whore for Hitler's troops" and rape them.[78] Following their capture some German soldiers vividly bragged about committing rape and rape-homicide.[79] Susan Brownmiller argues that rape played a pivotal role in Nazi aim to conquer and destroy people they considered inferior such as Jews, Russians, Poles[80]

*Get off plane in Berlin*
*In line at border control, open GAF*
*This is the first thread*
*Quickly close browser and look around to make nobody saw*

petran79

Banned
Boer War. Brits invented concentration camps there, love to play a Boer war game. Or maybe use the time the US Army overthrew the Hawaiian government to make US businessmen happy. I'd love to play a pissed off Hawaiian out for revenge in 1890s.

Brits during WW2 in Middle East also held Communists allies in concentration camps,fearing rebellion. My grandpa was in one. He fled Greece through Turkey and joined the Allies in the Middle East.

There was also a documentary on the events of 1944 in Athens,surpassing even video games.
A communist rebel confronts a British tank,shooting from a building. Tank demolishes the building,yet he emerges from the rubble and continues shooting!

Carn82

Yeah, they're a golden classic, the Nazi party was responsible for a lot of evil things. But it's time to get into the modern age. I can't wait to have climate change as my nemesis. I'm sure climate change will be responsible for more deaths.

SMG

Nazis almost seem antiquated compared to the current evil groups in the world today.

That being said, I'm really looking forward to Far Cry 5.
1. Go remind yourself at the scope and ambition of there evil.
2. Sadly, Nazis aren't relegated to the past.

NEO0MJ

They feel a little over played at times. Like others said Far Cry 5 is doing something interesting with it's baddies.

JusDoIt

All the slave masters and overseers in Assassin's Creed Freedom Cry. I made no attempts at stealth in that game. I was just running up on fools with the machete.

LiK

Crazy coincidence, I just played and finished it last night too. I'm excited for the sequel because it's in America. Hope we can kill KKK fuckheads too.

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
Basically every war ever is filled with atrocities, that's what war is. The low end of estimates of russian rape/murders of german women after ww2 is in the hundreds of thousands. That doesn't mean they do things in a vacuum because they're pure evil.
Consider that they're still shown to be incredible my hostile and trying to kill children after the war was over. They're literally never shown doing anything benign.

CHC

I find it even more amusing considering racial prejudice and racial segregation were very much a reality in the Western societies like the United States. I'd much rather see how Nazi's winning WWII would affect that social dynamic.
There is so much correlation with Hitler's racial ideology and the racial ideology in places like the U.S. So this pureblooded Amercian hero vs the Axis of Evil to me is as boring and comically removed from reality.

As modern day image of evil, The Nazi is rather outdated and simplistic when compared to the likes of ISIS or the many oppressive regimes in places of power.

I mean it sounds like you haven't played Wolfenstein and just aren't interested (which is totally fine) but this part of it will probably be a thing in the next game, set in America. In the trailer the KKK and the Nazis are freely parading around together in some 1960s American town, and you wind up fighting with a resistance led by a black woman. So I do think they'll draw the parallels and show how easily an open embrace of racist Nazi ideology would catch on.

Anyway, agree to disagree, if you find it boring, that's fine, but I do think Wolfenstein offers the freshest take on Nazis that we've ever gotten in a game, and it actually has surprisingly poignant moments for a game where you dual wield shrapnel spraying autoshotguns. It's a weird tonal mix that I think they balance well.

Khoryos

I mean, for starters, BJ Blascowicz is, as his name implies, a Polish Jew.

Also, this is an argument that straight-up happens in The New Order, between BJ and Jimi Hendrix.

I need some robot Nazi zombie dinosaurs.

Yea,

the humanoid Nazi in the game is by far the worst part of Wolfenstein, the sole reason why I haven't finished the game. They are simply one dimensional targets to mow down. the ducks in Duck Hunt are more dynamic, aiming your scope you can;t even see them properly.

The gunplay is decent, but I hope less Nazi, more robots, or other crazy contraptions please.

Neiteio

This doesn't really apply to the highly fictionalized Wolfenstein, but games that focus on real wars (like CoD: WW2) always make me a bit uncomfortable since they're recreating, for fun, what was one of the most horrifying experiences for the people who went through it.

Fantastapotamus

Wrong about commas, wrong about everything
Nazis are fun villains because you don't need to explain why they are evil. So they work great as a simple evil force without any particular nuance. They are basically just orcs or Aliens.
They don't make the most interesting villains though cause they are "just evil" with no interesting motivation.

Isotropy

Dude, it's fucking nazi's

like it can't get any more black and white than that

I'm not talking about their ideological masters, I'm talking about Joe Sixpack, eighteen-year-old nobody, dragged from his bed and conscripted to fight for [pick your enemy nation]. It's horrible.

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
Nazi's and zombies are always fun to kill, but where's ma Vampires at, or Werewolves? They're severely underrepresented.

sn00zer

I feel like Wolf TNO was the first game to have actual Nazis as enemies. Like terrifying horrible Nazi, not just mustache twirling mad scientists. TNO had a surprisingly unnerving tone throughout.

I feel like Wolf TNO was the first game to have actual Nazis as enemies. Like terrifying horrible Nazi, not just mustache twirling mad scientists. TNO had a surprisingly unnerving tone throughout.

I enjoy that it was able to illicit that reaction inspite of its pulpier overtones (1960s diesel punk, super tech, space faring Nazis w/ Germania, robots, and occult experiments).

HeelPower

No.

Dehumanizing actual historical peoples is not enjoyable. All people ar capable of just as much evil.we should be wary of that ,not make a mockery of it.

Top Bottom