• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Neo-Nazis will march on Yom Kippur in Sweden

Nazis and police have clashed. So far 60 people injured. This is even before the fucks got to the start of their demonstration. Undisturbed wouldn't end in violence my fucking ass.
B-b-b-but the violent left! Antifa are just as bad! You don’t know what it’s like over here in Europe, the Antifa are running wild!

Paganmoon

Did they try to deviate from their route or something?

Not sure what triggered it, but they were taking a different route.

Can someone translate this. I'm on mobile.

Kraftigt tumult har utbrutit mellan nazister och polisen. Polisen använder batonger mot NMR:s sköldbärare. Samtidigt beordras sköldbärarna framåt av sina egna ledare i NMR.

• Nazister med kravallutrustning har trotsat polisens order och marscherar en inte tillståndsgiven väg in till centrala Göteborg. 

• Flera nazister har under lördagen omhändertagits och en polis blev sparkad i ansiktet av en person som var på väg till dagens demonstrationer. 

• På Heden gör sig motdemonstranterna redo för att starta sin tillståndslösa manifestation. 
• Polisen har tvingats mota bort en grupp på cirka 20 motdemonstranter utrustade med uppblåsbara krokodiler vid Sten Sturegatan där NMR senare ska samlas. Ett mindre tumult uppstod i samband med händelsen.
• Militanta motdemonstranter försökte senare återigen bryta igenom polisens avspärrningar.  Polisen svarade med batonger.
• Uppskattningsvis 700 personer går i nazisttåget.

I'm hearing Teargas has been deployed by the police

Correction could have been pepper spray.

Agremont

It doesn't sound good at all. I hope the police manage those violent scum. I hope they manage to shut it all down as quickly as possible.

Their route was changed yesterday, but they were still going to try and go their original planned route. That had been blocked with police vehichles, and they clashed with police when they reached that point.

I live in Gothenburg, and had planned to go into the city for some errands, but am staying home now.

berzeli

Banned
They wanted to go on the original route before it got changed by the courts.
edit: wait there seems to be some confusion, the police mentions that object were thrown at NMR but that seems to clash with what people have observed at the scene/from live streams. There does seem to have been an effort to take a different route.

The only thing worth translating in that is:
"the police had to forcibly remove a group of ~20 counter protesters carrying inflatable crocodiles at Sten Sturegatan where NMR were due to gather later. A minor disturbance arose at the altercation"

Correction could have been pepper spray.

A quick translate.

Nazis have clashed with with police. The police is is using batons against NMR's shieldbearers, who are being ordered forward from NMR leaders.

*Nazis with riot gear have defied police orders and are marching a way they have not permission to go, on their way to central Gothenburg.

*Several nazis have been taken by the police, and a policeman was kicked in the face by a person on his way to the demonstrations.

*At Heden (a field in Central Gothenburg, used during Gothia Cup and similiar event), counter demonstrants (unsure about the correct english word) are getting read to start their march, that have not been cleared by authorities.

*Police have been forced to push away a group of 20 counterprotestors , equipped with inflatable crocodiles at the Sten Sture street, where NMR are going to gather later. A mild commotion arose during that event.

*Militant counterprotestors where again trying to break police barriers. The police answered by using batons against them.

*About 700 nazis are marching today.

Paganmoon

Counterprotestors have been told to move back along the new route the nazis are taking. (They're coming from their gathering spot in mMölndal through Gårda, past Valhalla.

@cecil: thanks, hard to type all that on mobile.

An old class mate of mine went on facebook to comment a news article about those days, and defined the nazis as "people with different opinions". Haven't blocked anyone one Facebook before, but now seems like a good day to start.

Gross but as a Jewish person and an American I still believe in free speech as long as it's not hate speech and there's no violence.

1506463227-risitaspeur.png

Nivash

This hate-march shouldn't have been allowed in the first place. I'm seeing Aftonbladet say that the police are considering cancelling the demonstration. That would be the best outcome in my opinion, let the nazi fucks get arrested or get run out of town.

Oersted

Pagan, cecil, tell me when I get this wrong.

A violent Neo Nazi terror group is about to march, but instantly attacks the police with gear and weapons they brought with them.

The police is still trying to make the march happen.

Paganmoon

everything seems to have "calmed down" we were let out of the building (they'd locked no one in or out) and I'm home now, nazis have been stopped right outside my balcony, more cops than NMR that I see anyway.

A violent Neo Nazi terror group is about to march, but instantly attacks the police with gear and weapons they brought with them.

Not knowing the exact run up to the clash, I'd still say that's an accurate description of the situation. Currently unknown if they're going to continue with the march, as they're not even at the startlocation, and starting this late will fuck up all prior planing.

Agremont

As far as I know they only have riot shields. But yeah it took like a plastic bottle or something thrown at them for them to get violent. They there to fight, not demonstrate.

To be fair, I'm not completely familiar with all details, so I hope people correct me when I'm wrong.

But NMR are not classed as a terror group - yet.
They clashed with police because they planned to go their original route, despite knowing that it was changed yesterday, and that it would be blocked today by police.
When they clashed, leaders for NRM ordered the people in the front, equipped with shields and riot gear, forward, towards the police.
The police have halted the march now, completely, and are looking into cancelling and disbanding it now.

They should have never been allowed on the streets in the first place. Ever.

I agree.

But I want them to banned because what they are, not that they protest, if that means that the goverment will be able to restrict other people more in their democratic rights to protest.

Groof

such a weird thing seeing the word nazi appear in the news so often in one day. what a time to be alive.

Paganmoon

To be fair, I'm not completely familiar with all details, so I hope people correct me when I'm wrong.

But NMR are not classed as a terror group - yet.
They clashed with police because they planned to go their original route, despite knowing that it was changed yesterday, and that it would be blocked today by police.
When they clashed, leaders for NRM ordered the people in the front, equipped with shields and riot gear, forward, towards the police.
The police have halted the march now, completely, and are looking into cancelling and disbanding it now.

säpo consider them the most dangerous/prominent internal threat to our country currently.

I guess they fucked themselves. No wonder a bunch of criminal lowlife scumbags can't behave. Not that seemingly civilized nazis are any better, but I'll take what I can get.

I don't think it worked this time.
Didn't it? As far as I can tell he hasn't killed anyone since his original conviction, and while he's been back in prison several times since it seems to be on progressively less serious charges. He's still a shithead, but the justice system seems to have adequately curbed his worst tendencies. That seems like an acceptable outcome, considering even though he isn't the best example, the Swedish prison system over all has a far lower recidivism rate than more punishing ones in other countries.

Paganmoon

some counter protestors are having a sit-down on the street, nazis haven't moved (or even said a word) in about 25-30 minutes. Not sure if it's all of them being kept here, or if they've split off somewhere.

This is around Liseberg btw

Hearing a few bangers. All in all much calmer than I expected fortunately.

Some chanting now "out with the trash"

Aske

some counter protestors are having a sit-down on the street, nazis haven't moved (or even said a word) in about 25-30 minutes. Not sure if it's all of them being kept here, or if they've split off somewhere.

This is around Liseberg btw

Hearing a few bangers. All in all much calmer than I expected fortunately.

Some chanting now "out with the trash"

That's a relief. Sounds like the police did their jobs about as well as they could have under the circumstances; and the vast majority of the Antifa/counter protesters are remaining peaceful.

Paganmoon

That's a relief. Sounds like the police did their jobs about as well as they could have under the circumstances; and the vast majority of the Antifa/counter protesters are remaining peaceful.

Theyre apparently trying to hold their rally here now. Not that many of the by the looks of it.

Pic from GT

e97fb657-cf71-4645-ad4f-590513289044.jpg

Pic is from people standing at a parking garage

berzeli

Banned
The permit has expired but NMR is doing some meeting, and have claimed that they will stay until the arrested nazis are released.

It is very restless with sporadic outbursts of violence at some counter protester sites.

Not looking great right now.

Paganmoon

The permit has expired but NMR is doing some meeting, and have claimed that they will stay until the arrested nazis are released.

It is very restless with sporadic outbursts of violence at some counter protester sites.

Not looking great right now.

Not seeing or hearing any violence at Liseberg/focus where the nazis are right now though. Could be on the other side of the parking garage i suppose.

Edit seeing lots of Piket now though. Additional 4 piket cars just rolled on to the street.

Nivash

NMR's permit has expired by now, and they aren't going anywhere. DN puts it right - "Nazi march stopped before it could turn into a demonstration".

http://www.dn.se

They're stuck in place and claiming that they're not leaving unless their arrested leader is released. This turned out better than I hoped for, I'm immensely proud of my old hometown putting a stop to this. The professional counter-protesters are going overboard - as always - but the thousands and thousands of ordinary people taking to the streets are the ones who mattered today.

Agremont

NMR's permit has expired by now, and they aren't going anywhere. DN puts it right - "Nazi march stopped before it could turn into a demonstration".

http://www.dn.se

They're stuck in place and claiming that they're not leaving unless their arrested leader is released. This turned out better than I hoped for, I'm immensely proud of my old hometown putting a stop to this. The professional counter-protesters are going overboard - as always - but the thousands and thousands of ordinary people taking to the streets are the ones who mattered today.

Yes, it has turned out better than I thought it would. Sensibility wins.

Top Bottom