• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NeoGAF 2012 Anime of the Year Results Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
4. (tie) Natsuyuki Rendezvous
iTTEO8KuKltEW.jpg

A difficult to watch series about people placed in an incredibly unpleasant situation. While the series experienced some pacing problems it has some of the most believably written characters of the year, as in, the characters actually remind me of human beings.

This sounds awesome, more my speed. I love me some depressing stuff. Only 11 episodes, too. Marathoning, here I come.

Noirulus

When it was "good" it was "good" in a hilarious, off-the-wall fashion only a Kawamori/Okada collaboration could produce, and when it was bad it was bad in a hilarious, off-the-wall fashion only a Kawamori/Okada collaboration could produce.

See: holes; "if we get naked we'll go faster"; "happy birthday!"; "my romantic partner is a reincarnated dog"; etc

---

ex:
Those pictures are relevant to my interests. I might just have to finish the rest of the show.

Branduil

Ano Natsu had two things going against it:

1. However well-made it was, it was still a standard romcom.

2. It ended over 9 months ago which means it wasn't fresh in anyone's memory. Combine this with the unoriginality of the story and the only thing anyone remembers is :kanna.

Empty

haven't watched an anime tv series in a long time but i think this will be a handy tool for trying out some shows. gonna start at the top with hyouka!

firehawk12

Subete no aware

2. It ended over 9 months ago which means it wasn't fresh in anyone's memory. Combine this with the unoriginality of the story and the only thing anyone remembers is :kanna.

Honestly, given how badly most of these turn out (at least in recent years), I feel like this is an achievement that shouldn't be dismissed out of hand too quickly.

Branduil

Honestly, given how badly most of these turn out (at least in recent years), I feel like this is an achievement that shouldn't be dismissed out of hand too quickly.

It shouldn't, but that doesn't mean it won't happen. But honestly I think the biggest factor was recency bias.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Romcom is hard.
It's difficult to sustain in serial format because eventually you have to come up with reasons why characters can't be together.

For American sitcoms, they just end up mashing random people together in order to delay the OTP as long as possible. Anime doesn't even seem to want to go that far nowadays. lol

It's difficult to sustain in serial format because eventually you have to come up with reasons why characters can't be together.

For American sitcoms, they just end up mashing random people together in order to delay the OTP as long as possible. Anime doesn't even seem to want to go that far nowadays. lol

You can't taint the purity of waifus by pairing them with other men.

Kagami

The funny thing about that is, it actually wasn't standard at all.
The premise may be described in those terms, but short, highly-focused relationship-resolution stories like that are actually rare in anime. It's not a harem. It's not an adaption of a meandering, multi-arc light novel. It's not an adaption of an on-going manga with no conclusion.
I'm hard pressed to list many anime similar to AnoNatsu besides the original Onegai series it pays homage to.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
The funny thing about that is, it actually wasn't standard at all.
The premise may be described in those terms, but short, highly-focused relationship-resolution stories like that are actually rare in anime. It's not a harem. It's not an adaption of a meandering, multi-arc light novel. It's not an adaption of an on-going manga with no conclusion.
I'm hard pressed to list many anime similar to AnoNatsu besides the original Onegai series it pays homage to.

Well, I don't know much about anime history, but the idea of a transfer student coming in and sweeping the hero off his feet and leaving the childhood friend out in the cold isn't exactly new.

The fact that it was a purely original series - which, funny enough, there is only one (well, the K-On! movie is original in a way) on the list is kind of telling - probably helps greatly because there's no underlying franchise to support. Well, outside of the Onegai reference I suppose.

There isn't the need for a cliffhanger ending or a fickle protagonist that can't or won't express his feelings for the girl. The only thing that stands in their way is that, like all exchange students, she's going to have to go home at some point.

So of the top 10, 4 are based off of novels, 4 on manga, and 2 on original material. Of the top 20, 9 from manga, 8 from novels, and 3 are original.

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
I'll admit for being superficial but none of those looked appealing because of the art style (except for Space Bros), and I only know one anime (Kids on the Slope), but upon reading I might watch Hyouka, Space Brothers, and that sci-fi anime From the New World that Branduil calls mature.

Is Hyouka well-written slice-of-life? I liked slice-of-life stuff like Usagi Drop and Beck. The only comedy slice-of-life I liked was Azumanga Daioh.

Is there any psychological thriller like Welcome to NHK or Paranoia Agent currently?

Based on your tastes in movie-gaf. You'll definitely enjoy Tsuritama along with the directors previous works - Mononoke and Trapeze. Which for the record actually deal directly with psychological-based topics.

zeroshiki

So of the top 10, 4 are based off of novels, 4 on manga, and 2 on original material. Of the top 20, 9 from manga, 8 from novels, and 3 are original.

There's a big difference between a novel-novel which From the New World is based on and a light novel which is everything else on the list.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
Clearly the solution is to have a top 2/3 anime each season and then just build year end list based on those picks!

Were there even three good anime in Winter and Summer last year?

Out of what I voted for, four were from spring, two were from fall, one from summer, one from winter, and two were yearlong.

There's a big difference between a novel-novel which From the World World is based on and a light novel which is everything else on the list.

I know, I just lumped them together for simplicity's sake. I also wasn't sure whether Hyouka's source material qualified as a light novel or not.

fertygo

It shouldn't, but that doesn't mean it won't happen. But honestly I think the biggest factor was recency bias.

Ano natsu just isn't that good. Its solid and deserve the top 20 spot, but aren't have that high in both critical or entertainment value. All of it just screaming "solid B"

trejo

Maybe I shouldn't have written that post, now it's going to be harder to trick people into watching AO.

But why would you do that? It's one thing to trick people into watching "so bad it's good" shows because there's at least a chance of some enjoyment to be gleamed out of the experience by the viewer. Subjecting people to AO, though, just seems wrong and mean spirited.

zeroshiki

Hyouka's origins are somewhat ambiguous.

The Kotenbu series' first 2 volumes (Hyouka and Endroll) were published as light novels. Hyouka won awards and stuff but only after the author got famous for a different work did they put out the 3rd one which was published under a different, non-light novel label. The first 2 novels eventually got reprinted on the same label.

So yes, its quite convoluted.

Cwarrior

Oh well Another year another bad top 10 not sure if worse or better then the other years anyways theses list highlight how dead anime is, there aren't even 10 good animes made out of the two hundreds made each year..

fertygo

Oh well Another year another bad top 10 not sure if worse or better then the other years anyways theses list highlight how dead anime is, there aren't even 10 good animes made out of the two hundreds made each year..

Its hard to make anime with one piece standard bro.

Based on your tastes in movie-gaf. You'll definitely enjoy Tsuritama along with the directors previous works - Mononoke and Trapeze. Which for the record actually deal directly with psychological-based topics.

Did not realise I made enough posts in movie-gaf to give away my tastes, hehe. Will check out Tsuritama, thanks for the recommendation! Oh cool, only 12 episodes.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Were there even three good anime in Winter and Summer last year?

Out of what I voted for, four were from spring, two were from fall, one from summer, one from winter, and two were yearlong.
The only weird thing comes from split cours and the year long shows, but I'm pretty sure everyone could pick 2 from each season at least. Well, assuming people are actually keeping up with anime all year round.

It just depends if you want to eliminate the problem of forgetting shows that were released earlier in the year... a problem that happens with all types of top ten lists in any medium.

I actually think this is a good idea.
Broken clock or something. lol

You can't taint the purity of waifus by pairing them with other men.
They're all 2d, so it doesn't matter!

Rinne was robbed! And Persona 4...well, that got just about what it deserved, I suppose.

It's surprising and a little weird that SAO didn't make the top ten by virtue of buzz alone. Likewise, I didn't realize Girls und Panzer was really, like, a thing. I knew some people were enjoying it, but not so much as to grab top ten.

Branduil

Rinne was robbed! And Persona 4...well, that got just about what it deserved, I suppose.

It's surprising and a little weird that SAO didn't make the top ten by virtue of buzz alone. Likewise, I didn't realize Girls und Panzer was really, like, a thing. I knew some people were enjoying it, but not so much as to grab top ten.

This is what happens when you desert the anime thread.

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
Hmm, I guess I'll try a few of these out. Been wanting to see a new anime, and with how I've heard the Magi anime has turned out, I've been left a little disappointed lately.

But I gotta say, having Tank Girls and Kon in the top 10 sort-of makes me apprehensive about this list lol

Yay, I was the only person to vote Initial D. lol Wonder if others have just gotten tired of the formula, or if many just haven't seen it/don't like it.

Also, horray K-ON! Movie 10th. ^.^

Ive only seen two initial d fifth stage episodes. I guess it has a chance next year since most interested will probably watch the blu ray or dvds of it.

I'm a bit surprised that Aquarion Evol didn't get any mentions. I thought it sucked?
Aquarion Evol was good, but to be in a top 10 considering the other stuff that came out this year is a tough call. The second op and ed were considerable downgrades compared to the first and the plot got a bit on the dubious side as it wound down. Oh well Ill rewatch it a third time once dub, liked it and amata and kagura and andy w hol, and cayenne, and shrado.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Hmm, I guess I'll try a few of these out. Been wanting to see a new anime, and with how I've heard the Magi anime has turned out, I've been left a little disappointed lately.

But I gotta say, having Tank Girls and Kon in the top 10 sort-of makes me apprehensive about this list lol
Girls und Panzer is genuinely fun. Stupid, but fun. And K-ON is K-ON. You either like cute girls doing cute things or not.

Grzi

Oh shit, so this happened.
Nice list, I think this thread will serve as a good recommendation to anyone looking for newer stuff to watch.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom