• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NeoGAF 2012 Anime of the Year Results Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Branduil

Okay, I wasted way too much time doing this, so I might as well make it look nice.

Top-10 Honorable Mentions:

---------------------------

1. Chuunibyou

iH6uTkcW5ODo5.jpg

The final episode wasn’t as satisfying as I was expecting, since this would otherwise have landed in my top 10, but the romantic elements were very well-developed, and, though I preferred the humor that was woven in, the story was filled with dramatic complexities that mostly heightened the effectiveness of the story.

2. (tie) Another

Also known as Final Destination: The Anime. This show is no stranger to killing off teenagers in amusing ways, just like the American semi-slasher films you can compare it to! Pretty tense too.

2. (tie) Yuru Yuri

It has "Yuri" in the title, so you already knew it was going to be successful. All the characters, Akari, Yui, Kyouko, even Chinatsu were fantastic. But what made this show really stand out was the supporting cast that had wonderful chemistry with the main leads as well as each other. Akari who tended to vanish into the background (quite literally at times) shone the brightest when time was fortunate to focus on her. Group her with the energetic Kyouko, the straightman Yui, and the two-faced lesbian Chinatsu and you have a godlike quartet of hilarity.

4. (tie) From the New World

Feels odd having From the New World on my list when it's only halfway through it's broadcast. JoJo's a bit different since it's separated into 'parts' and there's already been a lot of conclusiveness by which to adequately gauge the series . That being said, from what I've seen, through it's story telling, art and atmosphere, it's easy to say that FTNW is a stand-out series of 2012. It seems like it's too few and far between that we get an anime that has a large overlying mystery that is unraveled in a twisting and intriguing narrative. The characters feel real and their emotions raw. Each episode manages to keep you on the edge of your seat, and each episode end has you desperately wanting more. Really hoping this one doesn't fly under the radar.

Also, best ED of 2012 winner.

4. (tie) Joshiraku

A rather inscrutable beginning, seemingly impenetrable behind its wall of Japanese puns and jokes. Gets random-er as the episodes progress; nudity, violence, and insanity rules the day. Yet another show directed by Tsutomu Mizushima.

I couldn't find a series more Japanese in it's dialogue, setting or overall tone if I tried this year. Most of the dialogue(really, it is mostly skits) takes place in a small Rakugo(closest comparison would be comedy, I guess?) theatre. The five girls are all studying in the art of Rakugo and spend their youthful days talking about a wide range of subjects ranging from dreams to politics and even unique locations in Japan whenever they have the chance to go out. The only thing really stopping it from being on top is the unfortunate fact that this show's true charm may never be fully appreciated unless you are a homegrown Japanese person that could keep up with the references, locales, wordplay and tone. Soak in the music, the stinging jokes, the mood swings and the occasional bullying that takes place. This is still a show that no one should miss if they enjoy comedy, cute girls doing cute things or a show that is truly a product of it's time and place.

4. (tie) Kids on the Slope

Shinichiro Watanabe's return to the industry is certainly not as stellar as his fans had hoped for, but I don't think it was because of a lack of trying. This story about teenage boys doing teenage things in the sixties (and sometimes even jazz!) could have been better had they allotted it a longer run-time. At... eleven episodes I think? There's a lot of jumping forward with the material that it does affect the character development, which is admittedly a huge concern since this is a character driven show. Even so, I think there's plenty to like about it: aside from one person, the entire cast is very likable and their interactions amusing, not to mention the quality craftsmanship that Watanabe's direction imbues the show. It's a pretty thing to look at, and the soundtrack (composed by Yoko Kanno, her of Cowboy Bebop fame!) alone should be enough of a reason for fans of the director to check it out.

4. (tie) Medaka Box Abnormal

Following the manga, I knew what to expect and while the anime itself didn't disappoint in it's adaptation, it definitely left me feeling a slight hint of "that's it?" That is of course until Kumagawa Box/Episode -12/Good Loser Kumagawa when everything that had been established previously got shot put hurled out of a window into the sun. That one episode justified the entire premise of the show being animated and also showed that the animation/writing team was being held back by the actual plot material that wasn't about Kumagawa (and to a lesser extent, Ajimu/Anshin'in). I can only hope that Medaka Box Minus happens and is much more of that final episode than anything else. (To be exact, this anime is probably going to make the bottom end of the top 10 for me just based on this one episode.)

4. (tie) Mysterious Girlfriend X

This show is weird. Really weird. Normally perversion equates to senseless titillation, but MGX purposefully subverts the standard conventions of sex to offer its own strange and endearing take.

4. (tie) Natsuyuki Rendezvous

A difficult to watch series about people placed in an incredibly unpleasant situation. While the series experienced some pacing problems it has some of the most believably written characters of the year, as in, the characters actually remind me of human beings.

4. (tie) Robotics; Notes

A show that feels like it's just about to pop. The next few episodes will really determine whether this can live up to or even overshadow Steins;Gate. But right now it's just a fun show about kids building a giant robot with something mysterious under the surface. And that's pretty cool. Except for Kaito, he's a massive douche.

4. (tie) Sword Art Online

A revolution in story telling. The concept it simple, what if you were trapped in a game where you could die. Stripped of all the harmless fun and now forced to battle for survival, the characters throughout the show struggle with harsh moral judgements and often have to question the ethics behind their decisions. Does one leave weaker players behind in order to escape faster or do you stay behind and accept this new life so you life in not danger from battle. Meanwhile you see snapshots of the real world and how people are coping with their loved ones lost in a coma and the police force franticly hunting for the master mind behind this devilish scheme.

4. (tie) Tonari no Kaibutsu-kun

This was another romance show that was handled exceptionally well. The directing was topnotch for this. The transition shots are handled really well at times and even the storyboarding is used appropriately to play with perceptions. The visuals are great and the show has a really lively artstyle that makes it fun to watch.

The characters are all a blast to watch. Natsume is too good for the likes of mortals. How many girls do you know who can be classy after throwing up? Huh? All the characters though really are fun and there is a strong group dynamic that makes everything better. The audience also does get a strong sense of the core relationships.

That said, the show felt like it was spinning its wheels near the end. While it never really got bogged down in drama, it just felt like it wasn't progressing at an appropriate speed. Also there were some pretty big background stuff that was left unresolved, mainly in regards to Haru.

That said, I normally don't watch shoujo but this was great. I might make a more pointed effort if there are more shows of this caliber in the genre
I'm sure there are

Full list:

Code:
Chuunibyou	8
Another	7
Yuru Yuri	7
From the new world	6
Joshiraku	6
Kids on the Slope	6
Medaka Box	6
Mysterious Girlfriend X	6
Natsuyuki Rendezvous	6
Robotics;Notes	6
Sword Art Online	6
Tonari no Kaibutsu-kun	6
Chihayafuru	5
Girlz und Panzer	5
Persona 4: Animation	5
The Pet Girl of Sakurasou	5
Space Bros	5
Wolf Children	5
Ano Natsu de Matteiru	4
Bodacious Space Pirates	4
Hagure Yuusha no Aesthetica	4
Horizon in the Middle of Nowhere II	4
Humanity Has Declined	4
Jormungand	4
Kamisama Hajimemashita	4
Sankarea 	4
Sukitte Ii na yo	4
Tsuritama	4
A Letter to Momo	3
Accel World	3
Binbougami ga!	3
Black Rock Shooter	3
Ixion Saga	3
Jojo's Bizarre Adventure	3
K	3
Kokoro Connect	3
Nichibros	3
Psycho-Pass	3
Sengoku Collection	3
Tari Tari	3
Teekyu	3
Zetsuen no Temptest	3
Acchi Kocchi	2
AKB0048	2
Bakuman 2	2
Campione	2
Code breaker	2
Chouyaku Hyakuninisshu: Uta Koi	2
Dudu the Floatie	2
Dusk Maiden of Amnesia	2
Ginga e Kickoff	2
Gintama	2
HELLS	2
Hyouka	2
Inu x Boku SS	2
Magi	2
Minori Scramble	2
Mirai Nikki	2
Moyashimon Returns	2
Nisemonogatari	2
Nyaruko	2
Oda Nobuna	2
One Piece: EoN	2
Papakiki	2
Rinne no Lagrange	2
Themae Romae	2
Travelling Daru	2
Unicorn	2
Wasurenagumo	2
009 Re:Cyborg	1
Amagami SS+	1
Aoi Sekai no Chuushin de	1
Blood-C The Last Dark	1
Btoom	1
Code Geass Akito	1
Fate/Zero	1
Fullmetal Alchemist: The Sacred Star of Milos	1
Guilty Crown	1
Hayate no Gotoku! Can't Take My Eyes Off You	1
High School DxD	1
Hotarubi no Mori e	1
Idolm@ster Episode 26	1
K-On the Movie	1
Kimi to Boku 2	1
The Knight in the Area	1
Kore wa Zombie Desu Ka of the Dead	1
Kono Danshi, Uchuujin to Tatakaemasu	1
Kyousogiga 2	1
Lupin the Third: Mine Fujiko to Iu Onna	1
Milky Holmes Season 2	1
Minding My Own Business	1
Natsuiro Kiseki	1
Natsume Yuujin-chou 4	1
Nekomonogatari Black	1
Nerawareta Gakuen	1
Onii-chan Dakedo Ai Sae Areba Kankei Nai yo ne	1
Otome wa Boku ni Koishiteru	1
Patema Inverted: The Beginning of the Day	1
Phi Brain	1
Poppy Hill	1
Poyopoyo	1
Saki: Side A	1
Senhime Zesshou Symphogear	1
So, I Can't Play H!	1
Tanken Driland	1
Upotte!!	1
Zero no Tsukaima F	1

Pretty good list, overall. 6 of my votes made the Top 10 (Hyouka, Fate/Zero, Tsuritama, Kids on the Slope, Space Brothers and From the New World). My other four were Chihayafuru, Mysterious Girlfriend X, Natsuyuki Rendezvous and My Little Monster, all of which got robbed and should have been in the Top 10, but oh well.

Overall, the best GAF Anime of the Year result yet. We had to sweat out Sword Art Online and Chuunibyo, but everything worked out in the end.

Is it bad that I find creepy stalkers like Ringo moé?

Like Ringo? No, since Ringo is the best.

Ah, Yuru Yuri, Chuu2, Joshiraku, Natsuyuki Rendezvous and Mysterious Girlfriend X getting just a little recognition? This makes me happy. It's like an honorable mentions list made just for me. <3

All I needed was some Nekomonogatari and I'd be set. Hopefully Shaft fixes their faces and makes Zenmonogatari a home run.

Edit: This honorables list is too good for me. :p

Instro

Well I voted for 7 out of the 10, shocked that Code Breaker and Natsuyuki didn't get closer though. Girls Und Panzer is too high, as is Kids on the Slope. Otherwise it turned out pretty well, nothing in the top 10 is bad, which is something that has happened in years past with Angel Beats and the like making it into the top 10s.

Okay, I wasted way too much time doing this, so I might as well make it look nice.

Top-10 Honorable Mentions:

---------------------------

(Should SSY really be up there?)

Medaka Box Abnormal is so strange to see there, basically all the acclaim was just for the final episode that seemed to be a sidestory and had, to me, limited appeal beyond those already versed in the manga. Anyway I liked its first season when it was more of the box requests.

A few of these other HM, Ill look into watching I guess. People ought to at least check out Kono Danshi, Uchuujin to Tatakaemasu...its really good.

Branduil

And now for the fun part, the dishonorable mentions:

1. Sword Art Online

Fuck Japan award: Sword Art Online. This is the worst show ever to have been produced by a culture. Take the solipsism of The Newsroom, the depravity of K-Town or any other reality show of that ilk, and the sad humanity exhibited exhibited in shows like Honey Boo Boo and you'd STILL get a show that is morally, ethically, and spiritually more justifiable than Sword Art Online. The bar has been set so low that I can even see merit in a show like OniAi. Fuck you SAO... just fuck you.

And finally a word on Sword Art Online because that is what is expected of me.
Sword Art Online is like a summer blockbuster of anime. You sit down, switch off your brain and enjoy the ride. Unfortunately they made the protagonist a Gary Stu in a climate where we like broken heroes. Its also got more holes in it than Yukiho's swiss cheese. Maybe in the 60s with James Bond a perfect hero this would have worked, but even so, James Bond was suave and British and Kirito is neither. Basically he has no place in time and they chose our unfortunate generation to be lumbered with him. The only good thing about the show was the weekly Q&A sessions. If you are late to the party you'll never experience this so don't bother. If you pop along and say "Hey guys, I've just watched Sword Art Online episode 1, why don't they just enter the Konami Code and beat the game instantly?" no one will answer you because no one wants to talk about this show ever again.

Sword Art Online - I liked the genre shift into comedy after the second episode.

Worst anything of the forever: Sword Art Online ; Now I watch quite a bit of anime, but I only barely participate in any anime communities. That leaves me very ignorant when it comes to understanding which shows are generally liked or disliked by anime watching folks and what their reasons are. Which is totally okay since it allows me to watch any show more or less completely uninfluenced by opinions of others and I wont be affect by the typical cynicism, hyperbolic praise and whatever else message boards are plagued by. I have to deal with that sort of thing on the gaming side plenty already.
That said, I watched SOA to its completion, because I was only aware of its unexplainable popularity but not of its complete and utter AWFULNESS. Nobody warned me! :(
I initially dropped the show after three episodes, but the buzz surrounding it never went away and it eventually made me curious to see if I was just missing something and I've been avoiding a gem all this time. Well, I haven't! I realized that after another 22 awful, awful episodes.
I could only describe SOA as the most shameless pandering to pathetic nerd fantasies I've seen in a long while. It doesn't help that nothing about it makes any sense. No sort of consistency and constant bending of the rules for convenient and lazy story telling. Honestly one of the worst shows I've ever seen. Just painful.

2. Eureka 7: AO

Now as for AO, this is the biggest fuck you I've gotten from a writer since playing the Mass Effect 3 endings. The show started off with such promise. The first three episodes looked to live up to the legacy of the original series. They had fantastic animation, good music, seemingly good characters, and solid animation.

Hell even some of the later episodes all the way through roughly 14 seemed solid enough. Not exceptional but solid. There seemed to be an underlying political message and some sort of good overarching narrative. We even got some more art from the fantastic Kenichi Yoshida in ep. 13, who dearly miss. He really needs to do more character designs on shows.

Then the shitty writing kicked in. I don't know who to blame, either Aikawa or Kyoda. Kyoda was responsible for the awful E7 movie but Aikawa is also responsible for some serious stinkers. Either way, oh boy. They created a script that would make either Lindelof or Mac Walters proud. Speculation for everyone indeed. They created a show that not only retconned large parts of the original but also served to undermine the main message of the original. The writing almost seemed to deliberately spite fans of the original. It's bad enough they had time travel that wasn't handled anywhere near appropriately enough, they also had retcon cannons and godlike individuals running around. There are subplots that are brought up and promptly dropped.

The characters themselves also deserve to have an axe taken through them. We have the shitty Truth. What is Truth? I don't give a shit. There is Naru who is seemingly important then promptly dropped and forgotten about. We have Elena, who had one of the most anticlimatic buildups I've seen in awhile. Ao is certainly better than early Renton and Ivica is a less annoying Holland but both are shallow reflections compared to their E7 counterparts. Really none of the characters had good writing attached to them.

Fuck the writers involved with this damn mess. I never want another sequel from BONES ever again. They screwed up once with DtB and they somehow had a bigger fuckup with AO. I'm done son. Duckroll did an aptly good summing up this pile of dog shit.

The sakuga and music are literally the only thing going for this show. It's a shame too as the soundtrack is phenomenal.

3. Guilty Crown

If there was one phrase to describe Guilty Crown it would be: A flurry of explosions, stylish void accents, and colors, and excellent music.. Lots of praise for its visuals, friendship and bonds, action and intensity, and the experience in sound and drama was unlike any other anime that Ive seen before. I liked how focused it was for its episode count that surprisingly didnt even leave me begging for more. Character designs were great and most were memorable. Intriguing and unique series that Im glad to have watched and am dying to experience it all again for the third time dubbed, hopefully in english.

4. (tie) Black Rock Shooter

iH7ae7O84WVdz.gif

iGh6salMa1O6J.gif

4. (tie) Chuunibyou

Disappointment of the year: Chuunibyou demo koi ga shitai! - Starts off swell, but devolves into an unengaging drama half-way through that leaves you with a sour taste in your mouth.

4. (tie) Gundam AGE

Hino and Level 5 managed to shit this up really badly. Ugly character/mech design, bad story, idiotic characters...there is very little to like here, if anything at all. AVOID.

4. (tie) Lupin III: Mine Fujiko to Iu Onna

I'm mentioning this here because this is the worst anime I watched all year. If you are even considering watching this because of the Lupin brand, don't. IT IS FUCKING AWFUL. Don't watch it. It starts off with decent but underwhelming episodic episodes, and then it completely falls off the cliff when the "real" storyline starts and it just goes crazy in all the worst ways possible. Total.Waste.Of.Time. #youhavebeenwarned

4. (tie) Nisemonogatari

Pointless ramblings by Nishio Oshin and toothbrush.

Full list:

Code:
DM- Sword Art Online	18
DM- Eureka 7 : AO	6
DM- Guilty Crown	4
DM- Black Rock Shooter	2
DM- Chuunibyou	2
DM- Gundam AGE	2
DM- Lupin III: Mine Fujiko to Iu Onna	2
DM- Nisemonogatari	2
DM- Accel World	1
DM- Ao Sekai no Chuushin de	1
DM- Dog Days'	1
DM- Hayate no Gotoku! Can't Take My Eyes Off You	1
DM- Kids on the Slope	1
DM- Mirai Nikki	1
DM- Muv Luv	1
DM- Natsuyuki Rendezvous	1
DM- Onii-chan Dakedo Ai Sae Areba Kankeinai yo ne!	1
DM- Persona 4	1
DM- Rinne no Lagrange	1
DM- Symphogear	1

What anime does that green eyed girl with the glasses come from?
And now for the fun part, the dishonorable mentions:
I wanted to like Nise so bad after Bakemonogatari, but Nishio Oshin just wouldn't let me. Thank God for crabs, snails and vampires. They kept this show from falling apart. :(

Dead

well not really...yet
SAO and Accel World were probably the worst overall shows that I watched, but Eureka AO was probably the most depressing overall watch, as it was like having one of your best friends lose his mind and shit on your doorstep and expect you to like it.

Didn't need to even watch Nisemonogatari, as at this point SHAFT = automatic disqualifier

7Th

The best part of Black Rock Shooter is the 15 year old girl rewriting the ending of a picture book for little kids because it was too sad for her.

Everyone in that show was literally insane.

Yay, I was the only person to vote Initial D. lol Wonder if others have just gotten tired of the formula, or if many just haven't seen it/don't like it.

Also, horray K-ON! Movie 10th. ^.^

This?

Black Rock Shooter.
She must undergo quite the transformation or she isn't a main charcter because googling shows nothing for her.
Didn't need to even watch Nisemonogatari, as at this point SHAFT = automatic disqualifier
It's got it's moments, but the lows are where Cthulu sleeps. Not as bad as SAO since I don't feel that the characters in Nise take themselves super serious, but still.

Dead

well not really...yet
But that would mean you'd miss out on Madoka, Soredemo and Hidamari Sketch.
Hidamari is boring moe shit and its visually ugly, nothing about that other show makes me want to watch it.

I watched up to episode 3 of madoka. None of it was really any good. The fact I already know what happens in the rest of the show is probably why I never finished it.

Dresden

Hidamari is boring more shit, nothing about that other show makes me want to watch it. It being Shaft is enough for me to never watch it, sorry.

I watched up to episode 3 of madoka. None of it was really any good. The fact I already know what happens in the rest of the show is probably why I never finished it.

Just give a single episode of Soredemo (by far the best out of that three) a shot.

Dead

well not really...yet
Just give a single episode of Soredemo (by far the best out of that three) a shot.
It will take a lot for me to betray my principles to watch it, but I will make an effort to do so

edit: I guess if I was to admit to liking something made by Shaft, it would be the first episode of the first season of Zetsubou Sensei. But that's about it.

Kusagari

The second half of SAO is actually more entertaining because it's on some next level horribleness. The first half is just bland.

1cDX8_zps996c2939.gif

Most comedy anime will never come close to matching the laughs this alone provided.

She must undergo quite the transformation or she isn't a main charcter because googling shows nothing for her.

There are two worlds, one that's all actiony and full of despair/CG. The other is just a normal world starring high school girls. The worlds are connected with counterparts and stuff. One of them looks like a segway.

Articalys

Heh, I was going to go through the voting thread later and count up how many people trashed on SAO, just to make AnimeGAF laugh, but I see Branduil already took care of that, among other things.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom