• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NeoGAF Games of the Year 2012 Awards

Corto

Yeah, been trying to stay away from cynical GAF as they're good at breaking down my hopes if it being a great game. Still have enough faith in the devs to buy it at release date.

Seem that we will have another high affinity index next year then! hehehe

As a side note, I'm curious as to why votes that only have one or two games are even allowed. If I had my druthers, I would disqualify everyone with less than ten games because I'm an asshole.

Neiteio

Personally, I'm just waiting on Kid Icarus Wii U for the good control version
The thread I made soliciting people's feedback on the subject showed a lot of people want a WiiU version of KIU for precisely that reason. I personally loved the original game's controls,
but even those would vastly improve with the WiiU GamePad.

I don't think it's a narrow definition at all, really; it's a stealth game first and foremost, and it happens to have an emphasis on vertical level design. That you're jumping down to get to lower levels or using the grappling hook to move higher doesn't make it a platformer, or at least enough of one to be considered for that category, especially with the general lack of agency in the main levels to make that aspect important.

I agree with this. There's definitely a puzzle-platforming element to it, but it's absolutely a stealth game above all else.

Though I can also see why it got lumped into the "Platformer" category; I'm not sure there were enough stealth games in 2012 to even make a Top 5 Stealth list, sadly. Was there anything else beyond this, Dishonored and Hitman?

I'm glad to see the game getting recognized, regardless. Still wish it got a little more love in the Top 20, it really is a fantastic game.

Violet_0

Banned
As a side note, I'm curious as to why votes that only have one or two games are even allowed. If I had my druthers, I would disqualify everyone with less than ten games because I'm an asshole.

it doesn't really matter if somebody votes for 3 games or 10, the games they've picked still get the same amount of points. I only voted for 4 games because I refuse to give points to the other games I've played this year.

JWong

Banned
not to take away anything from journey, but you know it is a weak year when it wins GOTY on gaf.

Uuuuh you know gaming media also picked Journey as GotY. Like 20 of them.

Over Assassin's Creed, CoD, NFS, Mass Effect, Borderlands, GW2... need I go on?

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
50. [360][PS3] Resident Evil 6 (Horror) = 78 points, 5 honorable mentions

That's not terrible considering how much hate this game gets.

Interesting results though, guess I really have to play XCOM then huh. I would have thought Dishonored or Borderlands 2 would come after Journey and TWD.

Good work collecting the data. It's just unfortunate that the results point to the GAF majority sliding comfortably into the Mountain Dew swilling, Spike VGA loving "gamer" stereotype. With the exception of Kid Icarus (which I don't even know how it got up there because it's a handheld game made by non-westerners), the top ten list reads like it came from IGN or something. AAA marketing budget! Indy darlings! Epic story! ART! Advancing the medium through tedium! And RPG of the year: Mass Effect 3? Are you kidding me? Clearly, 2012 was the year that the GAF userbase became what it hates the most: Games journalism.

You can make whatever narrative you want to fit out of every year. Oh this year mostly Japanese games won, yeah GAF are a bunch of weeabos! Oh GAF only chose super niche games that no one ever heard of, GAF is a bunch of hipsters!

This is dangerously close to saying GAF is a hivemind.

Neiteio

LOL, it would have both, ideally. But as for how the GamePad would improve the original stylus controls, try holding the GamePad in your lap, resting it on your lap, and see how naturally your fingers melt into the plush shoulder triggers, how much space you have to draw on the larger touchscreen, etc. It's just more ergonomically correct, and I suspect many people who couldn't handle stylus controls before would find them more bearable on WiiU.

But of course, there should be a Wii remote pointer/nunchuk option, as well.

LOL, it would have both, ideally. But as for how the GamePad would improve the original stylus controls, try holding the GamePad in your lap, resting it on your lap, and see how naturally your fingers melt into the plush shoulder triggers, how much space you have to draw on the larger touchscreen, etc. It's just more ergonomically correct, and I suspect many people who couldn't handle stylus controls before would find them more bearable on WiiU.

But of course, there should be a Wii remote pointer/nunchuk option, as well.

Oh, I thought you meant dual-analogue. OK, never mind, as you were!

Ridley327

I agree with this. There's definitely a puzzle-platforming element to it, but it's absolutely a stealth game above all else.

Though I can also see why it got lumped into the "Platformer" category; I'm not sure there were enough stealth games in 2012 to even make a Top 5 Stealth list, sadly. Was there anything else beyond this, Dishonored and Hitman?

I'm glad to see the game getting recognized, regardless. Still wish it got a little more love in the Top 20, it really is a fantastic game.

One thing I will say is that stealth games tend to be more of a crockpot of genres than any other game genre that I can think of, and platforming happens to be one that shows up a lot. Even Splinter Cell gets in on that action a bit.

Kurtofan

Great job, glad for The Walking Dead and Mass Effect 3, sad for Devil Survivor 2 :(

Here are people like me:

Kurtofan
1. LOCK (92)
2. Aporia88 (84)
2. Blue Ninja (84)
2. Deadly Cyclone (84)
5. Meatvillain (83)
6. iNvid02 (81)
7. Knox (80)
8. Dmax3901 (78)
9. Nakayumi (76)
10. theDeeDubs (75)

Neiteio

Frog Fractions got robbed.
All joking aside, Frog Fractions has some decent gameplay, or at least, stringing together multiple bugs in one tongue stroke and seeing all the wings and legs scatter about was really cool!

And those plot twists... o_O

1. Kusagari (93)
2. hank_tree (92)
3. grandjedi6 (88)
4. DarkLordMalik (87)
5. reddwarf42 (85)
6. Meisadragon (84)
7. El-Suave (81)
8. canedaddy (80)
8. GotchaForce (80)
8. MichaelEM3 (80)

I recognize very few of these names! But that's okay, that means you're probably not known for posting inane garbage.

I don't really understand how anyone can think that this is a terrible/bad year for games, considering the ones that are on top of the list. What kind of games are you missing? Maybe it wasn't a spectacular year for the RPG genre, but other then that?

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
Yo my bros are quite awesome:

ilnadmy
1. Deadly Cyclone (106)
2. Foliorum Viridum (102)
3. Mizzou Gaming (101)
4. HiddenSentry (94)
5. Joe Lee (90)
6. Ridesh (90)
7. MarauderShields (89)
8. MormaPope (88)
9. sleeprockss (88)
10. MrCookiepants (86)

Sojgat
1. Feindflug (95)
2. ameridion (93)
2. Derrick01 (93)
2. Liquid_Bike (93)
5. Herla (91)
6. Agent White (90)
7. Interfectum (89)
8. kamspy (85)
9. Messofanego (83)
10. dragonbane (81)
tumblr_mcnhk0HY091r7ftteo1_r1_500.gif

Sup.

Ridley327

All joking aside, Frog Fractions has some decent gameplay, or at least, stringing together multiple bugs in one tongue stroke and seeing all the wings and legs scatter about was really cool!

And those plot twists... o_O

It's the best boxing documentary I know of; 30 for 30 should be ashamed.

Thraktor

Over the course of its three years on the charts, Xenoblade won a total of 818 points, which would have placed it 4th in 2010, 8th in 2011, or 3rd in 2012.

Just started playing the game yesterday myself (it's been in my backlog for a long while), and I'm enjoying it thus far. Here's hoping Monolith's Wii U project gets released worldwide in a more timely fashion.

Great job putting this all together.

I wish Forza Horizon was higher. It's, shockingly, really the best driving game I've ever played and I hope they continue in that direction. This coming from someone who has always been fairly lukewarm on the series. It manages to finally bring the personality and adrenaline the sterile sim titles usually lack.

Yo my bros are quite awesome:

ilnadmy
1. Deadly Cyclone (106)
2. Foliorum Viridum (102)
3. Mizzou Gaming (101)
4. HiddenSentry (94)
5. Joe Lee (90)
6. Ridesh (90)
7. MarauderShields (89)
8. MormaPope (88)
9. sleeprockss (88)
10. MrCookiepants (86)

Where are you guys seeing this list of similar votes by username?

Would have liked to see VLR higher, but 12 isn't so bad. Definitely much higher than 999 in 2010.

Even though I didn't like it, would have been awesome to see Katawa Shoujo in the top 20. Would have been hilarious.

JWong

Banned
my point still stands. Journey is not Goty in any other year recently.

Based on what?

Timing of release year completely changes any reasoning. Journey would have easily beaten Mass Effect 2. I'd be willing it would have beaten Portal 2 and Twilight Princess.

This year had a lot of big names, but Journey took them all out while being an exclusive and downloadable title.

That only solidifies his point. I wonder if Journey would have cracked the top 5 last year.

So a downloadable 2 hour title beating the biggest franchises to GotY means the whole year is shit. Way to logic.

Took me down to #7 to find a game I actually played, and that game was 10th on my list! lol.

At least 2 above it are on my want to try list though.

Seda

Thanks for doing this guys.

Seda
1. ULTROS! (91)
2. Dedication Through Light (89)
3. psycho17 (84)
4. Pein (81)
5. seady (74)
6. rhfb (73)
7. Mike D (71)
7. nckillthegrimace (71)
9. Alex (70)
10. Electivirus (68)

I know most of these guys. Cool company.

Over the course of its three years on the charts, Xenoblade won a total of 818 points, which would have placed it 4th in 2010, 8th in 2011, or 3rd in 2012.

This is also the 3rd and final year for Minecraft. I made it a point to disallow games that are in alpha or beta so this doesn't happen again.

Top Bottom