• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NeoGAF Games of the Year 2014 Awards

Nintendo have had a fantastic year and hope to See them dominate this year with Splatoon.

Thought forza horizon 2 would be higher but can't complain

Azure J

God damn Nintendo gave us that work. Good job. This year's going to be wild as well with the other two consoles putting on the gloves for real now.

Now then, what's all this about affinity listings?

weekev

Banned
Well done fellow nintendogaffers. Very surprised at tue top 3 lockout, thought it was gonna be neck and neck with queen bayo and dragon age. Delighted to see the top 3 being exactly the same as my top 3 though.

It is a surprise that half of my Top 10 are listed between 5 and 10 of GAF's rankings.

5. Dark Souls II
6. Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze
7. Wolfenstein: The New Order
9. Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor
10. Shovel Knight
28. P.T.
87. Atelier Escha & Logy: Alchemists of the Dusk Sky
121. Sherlock Holmes: Crimes & Punishments
SNUBBED* Dragon Quest IV: Chapters of the Chosen
SNUBBED* Atelier Rorona Plus: The Alchemist of Arland

*Ports and remasters don't go towards the GOTY list but are counted towards some specific categories. Dragon Quest IV got 3 points (all from me!) and Atelier Rorona Plus got 7 points and three honourable mentions.

That awkward feeling when you have played two games in the top 10 and didn't care for one of them.

Looking at the rest? There isn't anything I ever really want to try out.

Hmm....

Zixmar

Neo Member
So much love for Nintendo and I'm loving it. It really was a great year for Nintendo. They did a good job with their games.

yurinka

Great lists, thanks for your work guys!

I'd suggest to add another list, something like "best platform": percentage of top50/top100 main gaf goty list games that have been published on each platform.

Madouu

As always, thanks to Cheesemeister & timetokill for the immense work, these threads are always fun to read through.

Sups people in my affinity list (☞゚∀゚)☞

and my goty vs gaf goty list
1. Super Smash Bros. for Wii U [3]
2. Valkyria Chronicles [N/A]
3. Pokémon Omega Ruby/Alpha Sapphire [43]
4. Azure Striker Gunvolt [108]
5. Mario Kart 8 [2]
6. Hyrule Warriors [39]
7. Danganronpa: Trigger Happy Havoc [16]
8. Super Smash Bros. for 3DS [32]
9. Theatrhythm Final Fantasy: Curtain Call [44]
10. Drakengard 3 [99]
Minus VC, only Gunvolt is outside top 100 lol

nib95

Banned
Massive thanks to Cheesemeister & Timetokill for all the hard work!

And wow talk about Nintendo domination. Strange to see Bayonetta so easily top the list despite its waning real world sales. You have to wonder why it's not selling greater numbers, because clearly it deserves to.

Also happy to see DriveClub crack the top 20!

Damn at that Nintendoomed domination. Well deserved.

Anyway, South Park : TSoT and OlliOlli was all I wanted to see on the list and GAF delivered.

tummarnaupp.gif

McNum

It seems the Wii U's biggest secret is that it has some of the most awesome games currently out. Nintendo really needs to find a way to spread the word about that.

Still, it's a great result for Nintendo, and my recommendations list is pretty much "Bayonetta 2, Tropical Freeze, Pokémon ORAS, and the rest".

My affinity bros:

Looking forward to participating again this year.

Zalman

Agreed with the top 3. Between this and the most anticipated list, I'd say my taste in gaming falls very much in line with GAF's.

What's with the Adventure Game section? How could Watch Dogs (and other such titles) possibly be an adventure game?
Maybe for next year we can have Adventure Games (like the classic point&click games we generally consider Adventure Games) and Action Adventure Games (for titles like Watch Dogs).

Other than that, thank you fellow forum folk! Alien: Isolation receiving 38 number 1 Game of the Year votes, #11 Game of the Year, #1 Horror Game of the Year, #7 Multiplatform Game of the Year? Faith in humanity restored!

Also, thanks timetokill & cheesemeister for running this! Nice stats and most interesting list of the year overall. You've done an amazing job, guys!

AB12

Really surprised that DA:I is so high. Thought it would be lower. It's the only Bioware game that I couldn't continue playing for more than 10 hours, the game was boring as hell, it had so many soul crushing useless missions. Luckyly I gameflyed it before I bought it.

Really surprised that DA:I is so high. Thought it would be lower. It's the only Bioware game that I couldn't continue playing for more than 10 hours, the game was boring as hell, it had so many soul crushing useless missions. Luckyly I gameflyed it before I bought it.

If you look at how it broke down, it didn't have as many voters as might first appear, but it resonated with a certain segment who all placed it highly on their lists.

Melchiah

Good to see all my non-remaster retail votes (DA:I, DC, I:SS, Destiny, A:I) in the top 20. It appears Gaf has as good taste as me. ;) It also made me happy to see DC score better than FH2, after the reviewers dissed it for not being open world. Seems like there's a disconnect between the gamers and the reviewers. Thumbs up for P.T. being appreciated as well.

Microsoft exclusive points allocated: 2.222337% (430)
Multi exclusive points allocated: 52.71074% (10199)
Nintendo exclusive points allocated: 25.44318% (4923)
PC exclusive points allocated: 8.083105% (1564)
Sony exclusive points allocated: 10.40881% (2014)

I found this surprising, considering how often I've seen Sony exclusives of 2014 being criticized here.

That TLOU landslide.

Really fascinating list. My biggest surprise, outside of Nintendo cleaning up, is Mordor being so low. It seems to have been the go-to for the press in a year with very other clear choices.

Regardless, great job everyone who puts this damn thing together every year. Got to be one of the most tedious jobs imaginable so massive kudos for all the stats provided.

Talking of which, shout out to my new best friends:

IcyEyes

I pretty dislike the top 10, but all that games are pretty good, so congratulation to the winners.

Ps Sunset deserve a *lot* more love !

Pss Awesome work OPs!

Marjar

Banned
A shame that The Talos Principle didn't get a whole lot of votes. Guess I should probably expect that though being released so late into the year and being made by a relatively lesser known dev.

What surprises me the most is how high Destiny is. It really doesn't deserve that, to say the least.

Oh well. At least Bayonetta 2 rightfully got its first place position.

Molemitts

I can agree with this list. I'm surprised Mario Kart got in second place, it's a great game, I just didn't expected it to do that well, but it has that mass appeal, I suppose. Maybe Shovel Knight could be little higher up, but overall? Pretty good.

The list of people with good taste:

d00d3n

How GAF ranked my top 10:
*snip*

That's a great idea! It is like a measure of how in synch with the consensus you are.

Most of my picks were consensus hits:
5. Dark Souls II
Nowhere. Binding of Isaac: Rebirth
30. Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker
7. Wolfenstein: The New Order
9. Middle-Earth: Shadow of Mordor
19. Far Cry 4
2. Mario Kart 8
23. Titanfall
26. The Last of Us: Left Behind
65. The Talos Principle

I guess Binding of Isaac: Rebirth was ineligible for the overall list due to its remake status, but it seemed like a consensus pick based on the number of votes as well (had 176 points, frankly it deserved to be considered as an original title). The Talos Principle was my pick that deviated the most, but it is only in last place and I was quite critical of it. I think Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker would have placed higher if more Europeans had time to play it. My other choices were overall sub 30.

Affinity bros:

The affinity matched lists look quite different than my list. I was affinity matched by 15 other users.

Raggie

It's been a fantastic year for WiiU, and next year looks promising as well. Who would have thought?

It's also been a very good year for western RPGs!

Melchiah

What surprises me the most is how high Destiny is. It really doesn't deserve that, to say the least.

I disagree with that. Here's what I wrote about it in the voting thread.
85 gameplay hours in total, and eventhough I quitted playing after the changes presented in the Dark Below DLC, I won't deny that I enjoyed my time with the game. The campaign could have been better, and there could have been more content, but the gameplay itself was very satisfying.
The game offered me a plenty of entertainment, much more than its genre brethren Wolfenstein, which felt a chore towards the end of its campaign. I might return to Destiny, if/when the DLC prices are at least halved. Paying 20€ for it is a no-no, when I don't play PVP and can very rarily play Raids.

Tizoc

A shame that The Talos Principle didn't get a whole lot of votes. Guess I should probably expect that though being released so late into the year and being made by a relatively lesser known dev.

We must make it our mission that every PS4GAF must experience this game my comrade!

Arthea

firstly good work everyone, that's a nice diverse list

how gaf likes my GOTY list.
1. The Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky - #1 PSP game, #54 PC game, #17 on rereleases list, not eligible for main GOTY lists. I honestly hoped it to be much higher on the PC list... like in top 20 at least and in top 5 of rereleases also.
2. The Room - #104 PC game, #40 on rereleases GOTY, again not eligible for main GOTY lists.
3. Atelier Escha & Logy: Alchemists of the Dusk Sky - #87, #2 on PS3 GOTY list.
4. LYNE - #205
5. One Finger Death Punch - #173, #9 on fighting GOTY list.
6. Banished - #86, simulation GOTY
7. Divinity: Original Sin - #14, PC GOTY as I thought, #4 RPG GOTY
8. Hexcells Infinite - #90, #7 Puzzle GOTY
9. Final Fantasy X-2 HD - #54 rereleases GOTY
10. Hatoful Boyfriend - nobody else voted for it but me... why?

Considering my list lacking mainstream titles, I didn't expected much of affinity, but I still got some, these people have a good taste and I know most ;)
Herla (39) http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=147103946&postcount=1451
zkylon (38) http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=143582995&postcount=220
derExperte (35) http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=143598742&postcount=270
28 Posts Later (33) http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=145470217&postcount=1125
Durante (33) http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=147591431&postcount=1589
pahamrick (32) http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=143599981&postcount=274
RK9039 (32) http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=144032380&postcount=748
SteveWinwood (32) http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=147758606&postcount=1744
The Illiterati (32) http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=145634089&postcount=1171

even more surprising I'm on two gafers affinity list myself, that's shocking! (><)
hi 28 Posts Later and Coxy

Top Bottom