• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NeoGAF Games of the Year 2014 Awards

AdanVC

GAF has good taste confirmed. Nintendo totally ruled 2014 yessssssssss!! Thanks for all the hard work on counting all the votes and stuff, OP :D all looks super nice and organized.

Salih

Thanks to Cheesemeister and timetokill! It was indeed a incredible year of Nintendo.

shoutout to my affinity bros - you guys have great taste :p

1. Andrew J. (132)
2. Ondore (112)
3. Scythesurge (111)
4. Hitsukara (110)
5. Bass260 (108)
5. Deactivision (108)
5. Muzy72 (108)
8. Ansatz (106)
9. Eolz (105)
9. Sadist (105)

Zocano

How GAF ranked my top 10:

I really like this idea!

17. Transistor
5. Dark Souls 2
49. D4: Dark Dreams Don't Die
143. Styx: Master of Shadows
21. Ground Zeroes
1. Bayonetta 2
94. The Fall
12. Destiny
9. Shadow of Mordor
4. Dragon Age: Inquisition

CassSept

Isn't something off with the overall rankings? In categories section it's listed as having 176 points, but then in overall ranking it's at place 135 with 10 points? Besides, it's listed as PS3 game even though it wasn't released for the platform.

Herla

Well...at least Dragon Age is not in the top 3.

Also:

191. [PC] Consortium (RPG) = 5 points

My underdog of the year, apparently :(

Nete

RIP Nintendo. And awesome work, timetokill and Cheesemeister!

Btw, what is the highest affinity you can have with someone? Around 150?

EDIT: Seems I went with some underdogs :p

(129) #2. Door Kickers
(131) #10. Xenonauts

While it might be an indication of the weakness of 2014, I'd also say that literally the only thing I've heard about Bayonetta 2 is how much better it is at everything than the first game.

I think it speaks more about the great diversity of 2014 that we didn't have one game totally mopping up. I also feel Bayonetta 2 is a better game than the winners of the past few years. 2014 was a damn good year.

Zocano

Shadowrun Dragonfall DC isn't even in the top 10 despite being a lot better than Dragon Age, but I realize that's because a list like this will always largely be a popularity contest. The only way for it to be 'fair' would be if everyone played everything, but the bigger / more marketed games will always be played by more people, and so get more votes.

Kudos to Bayonetta 2 winning despite this though.

Yah...

That sort of what it tends to be and GAF seems to be predominantly console + nintendo leaning. Even with Planescape coming out this year, I doubt that will be high on the list by the end.

Waiting for someone to tweet Kamiya congratulating him on directing GAF GOTY

Happened already.

hnILwRg.png

jesu

Thanks for all the work putting this together!

One thing stands out though, Plants Vs Zombies Garden Warfare is a shooter not a strategy game.

Corto

So the top thing I got from this year awards is that I need to buy a Wii U... hehehe *starts browsing trying to find some deals*

Watup homies!

illmatic22
1. HouseDragon (88)
2. BaraSailey (84)
2. Tookay (84)
4. Raw64life (82)
5. Verendus (81)
6. abrack08 (79)
6. Late Flag (79)
6. saltine161 (79)
9. dancingphlower (75)
9. Genio88 (75)

How GAF ranked my top 10:

5. Dark Souls II
27. Diablo III: Reaper of Souls
90. Tomb Raider: Definitive Edition
95. Lords of the Fallen
17. Transistor
21. Driveclub (Bumped up due to TLOU Remaster?)
23. Hearthstone: Heroes of Warcraft
12. Destiny
22. Metal Gear Solid: Ground Zeroes
31. P.T.

At least most of them fall in the 20-30 range. No love for Tomb Raider or LOTF makes me sad.

Mine:

11. Alien: Isolation
34. Diablo III: Ultimate Evil Edition
8. South Park: The Stick of Truth
21. Metal Gear Solid V: Ground Zeroes
28. P.T.
64. Infamous: First Light (SS is #13 but I haven't played that one)
??. Metro Redux (huh? did not even register in the FPS category?)
??. Don't Starve: Console Edition (Vita version is #238)
??. Surgeon Simulator: Anniversary Edition
97. Octodad: Dadliest Catch

Oh well :p

In any case, thanks for creating the awards this year again!
Looking forward to the 2015 awards, I think its top20 will fit better to my taste :D

Thanks for all the work putting this together!

One thing stands out though, Plants Vs Zombies Garden Warfare is a shooter not a strategy game.

A lot of games are multiple genres, and since the game is a tower defense game (subset of strategy) we went with that. There's really no way to be perfect on genres, especially with games adding more and more aspects of other genres.

flattie

Great effort, ttk and cm; satisfyingly thorough.

Although you would hope that Nintendo would have found their stride this year, being that it is their second with the Wii U, it is still nice to see them actually hit the mark with every release.

They're really hitting it out of the park in terms of quality. With Zelda, Xenoblade, Splatoon and Starfox to come, I wouldn't be surprised to see them have another strong showing in this years' thread.

Yah, I kept hearing this, too, but I have a weird disconnect because while Bayonetta 2 is definitely smoother, it just didn't feel as well paced or as interestingly engaging as Bayonetta 1 did (the predecessor having a better cast of enemies, moments, and climactic finish).

I feel the second game is far better paced than the first, with the overblown Sega references gone as well as the pseudo-platforming that took away from the fun fighting. 2 also has way better and more diverse enemies as well as a much more vibrant asthetic.

Zocano

I feel like we almost could have been affinity bros. Four of the same top 10, and I knocked The Fall off my list last minute due to Hearthstone addiction.

I actually feel not that affiliated with my affinity list. Bunch of duders who put Bayo at #1 with no Styx in sight ):

Don't worry guys, Bayo 2 is definitely a great game and has every right to be #1.

I'm just salty about it.
Also Transistor should be higher.

Endo Punk

Look at that Nintendomination. Although not a fan of the Bayonetta franchise I fully support what it stands for. It's a middle finger to setpiece driven modern gaming with nothing to show but cinematic bs, one and done experiences that will fade in time -despite how hard critics push them- as compelling gameplay titles live on years later in our memories.

Also I am both shocked(in a good way) and humbled to have my comment represented for Transistor. Very pleased to see the game make it in the top 20. Definitely an experience I wont sooner forget. Thanks again.

RooMHM

Year of the Nintendo it seems. PC was good too.

It was really pathetic for Xbox One ... Sunszt overdrive as best and really nothing else then, wow.

Nibel

Year of the Nintendo it seems. PC was good too.

It was really pathetic for Xbox One ... Sunszt overdrive as best and really nothing else then, wow.

Well, I think this year they will have much more stuff like the new Halo, Scalebound, maybe that Rare game and something Gears related.

Although I wish my comments were as in-depth as other fellow users, it was a pleasure getting to vote in the "2014 Game of the Year" poll. The titles are well-deserving of their respective placements and the community comments were undoubtedly creative, passionate. My sole disappointment would probably stem from the "re-release" votes falling into their own category visible exclusively within the ZIP file at the time of this posting. I knew it was a hot topic leading into the voting session and, normally, I favored the notion of just highlighting primarily new releases from within this past year. However, it has become an increasing trend to have high-profile titles receive additional packaging from within the past year of its initial release (GTAV, Metro Redux, Tomb Raider, etc.) and I believe it's admirable of consumers to hold out on release hype in favor of obtaining more bang for their buck with bundled DLC and other presentation enhancements. Ultimately, it's grateful to have all the votes still be counted, but having the "re-release" points falling within its own specific category outside the main campaign felt a bit regrettable when they don't carry the same weight as other candidates. As a result, I'll probably set future re-releases as "honorable mentions" regardless of whether I hold enough affection to place them within the main ranking. It's my own controversial opinion that might split hairs to some, but considering a one-to-two year grace period for these titles would be a noteworthy option, particularly when I feel this situation could be akin to theatrical films receiving limited-to-wide distribution, silver screen-to-home video, or regional localization for the first time where viewers finally have an accessible venue to experience them. Just a little thought on the process, but I'm glad to see Bayonetta 2 swooping for the main pick!

Ballot and GAF Award comparison:
  1. Wolfenstein: The New Order (#07)
  2. Drakengard 3 (#99)
  3. Grand Theft Auto V (#02 [RE-RELEASE])
  4. Alien: Isolation (#11)
  5. Dark Souls II (#05)
  6. Bayonetta 2 (#01)
  7. Metro Redux (#15 [RE-RELEASE])
  8. The Wolf Among Us (#29)
  9. Assassin's Creed: Unity (#63)
  10. Thief (#144)
Affinity Shout-Out:
Top Recommended Game: Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor

woopWOOP

Awesome! First time I've voted for GAF's GotY. Some really cool stats to be found there like the affinity and recommendations. As expected, a whole lot of passion for Bayonetta 2, haha.

Big thanks to Cheesemeister and timetokill for doing this!

Can't find myself in the affinity data, does that mean I have no affinities? ;_;

Your votes were counted, but it could be because your comments weren't formatted correctly (they didn't begin on the same line as the semi-colon). Not sure though.

randomkid

Amazing. The only two games on my ballot to get disqualified were the ones that were actually 2014 games (NES Remix 1+2 retail and Flappy Bird Typing Tutor). Every other ineligible old-ass game was somehow counted instead.

validation~

Great job as always dudes!

Top Bottom