• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NeoGAF speaks [/d/raphics interchange format]

Catalix

And on the sixth day the LORD David Bowie created man and woman in His image. And he saw that it was good. On the seventh day the LORD created videogames so that He might take the bloody day off for once.
untitled-2mwz83.gif

Hard G 4 lyfe.

haha, my nijja!

Ryuuga

Banned
This thread only confirms one thing, GAF needs the ability to leave short text-to-speech soundbytes attached to posts.

Pronouncing gif with a soft G is just going to make people think you're talking about peanut butter. It will confuse the masses!

I speak on behalf of Canada and involving peanut butter in the topic of pronunciation would make us much more confused.

It's no longer sold here

Arkos

Nose how to spell and rede to
Ha! Read that new title and weep.

The Jif gif has no pity and feeds off of your puny complaint posts

1331271163jif_gif_by_bythmark-gif.gif

Damn I am shocked by that vid. I didn't know there were so many older posters on gaf.
based on some of the post I assumed gaf user base was made up of 12 year olds.

ASIS

what's the next closest actual word?

Gift.

So you expect me to believe that gift = hard g, but gif = soft g?

That's like saying Farm should be spelt with Ph because you make the same sound as pharmacy. Language is complex with a ton of hidden rules.

That's said, #teamhardG

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Wouldn't a hard G be "Jyuh"? Like Giraffe? I thought soft G is "Guh" like "gutter"?

I'm so confused.

Arkos

Yep, and G-I-F.

Also a lot of people around here call it "NewJAF" since that's how you'd write it in Arabic.

Interesting! Did not know that

Out of serious curiosity does the (forget the letter) J sounding letter correspond to how the Arabic for gaming is spelled?

Ryuuga

Banned
Yea, but "juh" sounds more rought/hard than "guh".

I think it's determined by severity of impact. If I was hit unexpectedly in both scenarios I'd let out a soft "juh" after being slapped, but a more impactful "guh" after getting a roundhouse.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
Name one other word in the english language in which the syllable *gif* is pronounced with a soft g

dose

Whoever changed the thread title.... yeah right. it's short for for Graphics, so it's a hard G. Everyone I've worked with says It like that.
Edit: lol@ new thread title.

Haha, there you have it.

GIF to remove ambiguity!

And to replace it with ambiguity to something that is pronounced exactly the same way, rather than similarly. You Jif weirdos.

And it's gib too. With a hard G. Like Maurice Gibb of the Bee Gees. And yes, I know it was coined by Romero and it's short for giblets, which is a soft G, but FUCK THAT. I told him he was wrong myself.

You know, through the internet. I'm cool like that.

As much as I hate it, the inventor of the GIF-Format recently got an award and stressed that it's pronounced "JIF"...

http://www.golem.de/news/steve-wilhite-ehrung-fuer-den-erfinder-des-jif-formates-1305-99381.html
too lazy to translate:
Aussprache

Wilhite nutzte die Gelegenheit seiner Auszeichnung, um darauf hinzuweisen, dass die meisten die Bezeichnung seines Formates falsch aussprächen. Es heiße Jif, nicht Gif, erklärte er. Compuserve selbst soll diese Aussprache in der Spezifikation aus dem Jahr 1987 festgelegt haben.

Der Streit, ob das Akronym mit einem harten oder einem weichen Konsonanten ausgesprochen wird, wird schon seit langem geführt. Immerhin: Wer Gif sagt, befindet sich in guter Gesellschaft. Selbst die ehrwürdigen Wörterbücher Oxford English Dictionary und American Heritage Dictionary halten beide Aussprachen für akzeptabel. Falsch, sagt Wilhite. "Es ist ein weiches 'G'. Ausgesprochen 'jif'. Basta."

Arkos

GIF with a hard G always sounds like you're lazily trying to say "Gift".

"Did you open that gif'"?

To self quote, it's like this:

Even if you say Jif to talk about peanut butter, you never say "A Jif." Whereas:

"Hey dude I sent you a gif"
"A gift?"
"A gif"
"A GIFT?!"

2FFF8DE0-9384-4F31-93CB-6DFB8005628F-242-0000002E88F21F3F_zpsa4711974.jpg

ctkayedisto said:
Or I could go with spaghetti day: "I feel like you're starting to say something but then you're not finishing it."

Top Bottom