• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NeoGAF's 2012 Album of the Year Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

HiResDes

YL3xeAP.jpg

(CLICK ARTWORK FOR LINKS)

kendrick-lamar-good-kid-maad-city-cover.jpg

1. Kendrick Lamar- good kid m.A.A.d. city
- Genre: Hip-Hop
- Sample Track: Money Trees
HiResDes said:
Kendrick delivers a cohesive album with a strong concept and storyline that offers depth while never feeling forced or in anyway detrimental to the song making process. He showcases a variety of flows, changes pace at will, and is self-aware enough to preach without abstaining himself of guilt. Sure the topics are quite familiar and a bit predictable at times, but Kendrick's passion is pretty much unparalleled. Some of the song structures are quite inventive with Kendrick even rapping in the voice of different characters, as are the beats, which helps the album from feeling repetitive despite its long length. GKMC is an album with layers that might be readily accessible, especially in this age of instant gratification and impersonal swag-toting self-ignorance. It reaches a level of introspection and emotion that other rappers would never touch. It's a shame how unsafe it has become to be real. GKMC is the album Kendrick wanted to make, not the album his studio told him to make.

2. Frank Ocean - Channel Orange
- Genre: R&B
- Sample Track: Crack Rock
CheesecakeRecipe said:
I have to give a shoutout to Pinko Marxx for introducing me to Frank's tape Nostalgia,Ultra a while back. Channel Orange sees him hanging his heart and soul on a clothesline even with an impending storm feeling imminent. It's funky, soulful, beautiful. Frank turns his suffering into something that goes above pretty much everything else written on the subject in 2012

3. Beach House- Bloom
- Genre: Dreampop
- Sample Track: Lazuli
gdt said:
Beach House perfect their craft here for me. Epic and haunting songs. Every song is a knockout

4. Tame Impala - Lonerism
- Genre: Psychedelic Pop
- Sample Track: Apocalypse Dreams
CheesecakeRecipe said:
Psychrock kicking it stronger than ever this year with Tame Impala's latest. As much as I don't want to really fall into that category, I can't deny the heavy Beatles vibe I get when I listen to it. And honestly, that's not a knock on Lonerism - in fact it's a pretty nice thing. I find myself getting lost very often in the echo-drenched vocals and floaty production whenever I lean back with the album on.

5. Purity Ring - Shrines
- Genre: Electro-Pop
- Sample Track: Fineshrine
HiResDes said:
Shrines is just an incredibly fun and stimulating album that opts for aural bliss rather than any sort of portentous depth. It combines the reverb methods of say witch-house, with the melodic structure of both trap-electronics and synthpop. It's like pop rocks for your ears, fun and exciting, and just angsty enough to capture the spirit of a hyper-active pre-teen.

6. Grizzly Bear - Shields
- Genre: Experimental Folk
- Sample Track: Yet Again
Creamium said:
this cd has the best opening trio of songs I've heard this year, and the closing songs are great as well. In the middle it's... inconsistent. 'The Hunter' is a definite low point in an otherwise superb album.

7. Chromatics - Kill For Love
Genre: Synthpop
Sample Track: Kill For Love
xtrasauce said:
I'm tempted to call this one a masterpiece. The long ambient interludes might seem boring if you're not in the right mindset, but at 77 minutes this is not an album you should play if you're strapped for time. It forms a grandiose yet intimate whole that one might describe as the Lawrence of Arabia of guitar-laced synthpop (I realize how silly that sounded).

8. Grimes - Visions
- Sample Track: Genesis
xtrasauce said:
Dat voice... dem synths. I think I would recognize a Grimes song within seconds now, which is a compliment to her unique sound.

9. Burial - Kindred
- Genre: Future-Garage
- Sample Track: Kindred
genjiZERO said:
Painfully beautiful auditory painting... Not sure how else to describe it.

10. Fiona Apple - The Idler Wheel Is Wiser Than the Driver of the Screw and Whipping Cords Will Serve You More Than Ropes Will Ever Do
- Genre: Alternative/Folk
- Sample Track: Every Single Night
PaleFolklore said:
I've always loved Fiona and I feel like this is her at her best....

11. Cloud Nothings - Attack on Memory
- Genre: Post-Hardcore
- Sample Track: No Future/No Past
Green Scar said:
Bit embarrassed to say it took me until last month to properly listen to this album, but I'm glad I went back and gave it the attention it deserves. Steve Albini does about what you'd expect him to do to a breezy pop punk band like Cloud Nothings, and Attack on Memory thus possesses a frantic grit Dylan Baldi certainly didn't before. Really, "Wasted Days" descent from an anxious guitar sprint into a garble of histronics with a deceptive drumroll, plus the opening track's (personally unappealing) dirge, are themselves deceptive of the rest of the album's darker slant on Baldi's past efforts- tracks like "Fall In" and "Cut You" aren't a world away from previous albums- but the return from an incredibly arresting opening double-hitter into catchy, immensely enjoyable rock numbers- in particular, the mid-album vocal-less track "Separation" makes for a hell of a ride.

12. Flying Lotus - Until The Quiet Comes
- Genre: Trip-Hop
- Sample Track: Tiny Tortures
genjiZero said:
Solid, but not as spectacular as Cosmogramma was. Needs to be listened to on vinyl to get the full effect though

13. Godspeed You! Black Emperor - Allelujah! Don't Bend! Ascend!
- Genre: Post-Rock
- Sample Track: Their Helicopters Sing
RDreamer said:
This album is a monster. It's a mountain that you climb, and then fall back down… and then do it again. That's my best description. They do post rock like only Godspeed can do post rock. The album starts out with a spoken word piece, leads you through a few minutes of buildup and dissonance, then follows with an all out assault of controlled chaos. And that's just the first (19 minute) track! After that, luckily, they give you a bit of a breather with a pretty brilliant ambient piece that I know I personally love far more than I should love 6 minutes of nothing really. I think it's partially the catharsis of relief after the storm that came before. Then, they do it all over again with another 19 minute song, and finish you off with another calmer ambient piece. The pacing of the album is deliberate and what really makes it work far better than it might otherwise. Each of the two main songs is a modern day symphony, going through buildups, waxing and waning, and hitting you with crescendos at the perfect moments. This time, though, they've gone with a bit of a different approach to some of those crescendos. I think the riffs used here are a bit more easily accessible and also memorable than some of what they may have done in the past. You'll find yourself wanting to ride to the top of that mountain again.

14. Jessie Ware - Devotion
- Genre: Pop
- Sample Track: Wildest Moments
SecretMoblin said:
why does the album have to be so pretty
Hh3iZ.gif

why can't it be trash like everything else
Hh3iZ.gif

why isn't she sitting in my lap singing Devotion to me right now
Hh3iZ.gif

15. Passion Pit - Gossamer
- Sample Track: It's Not My Fault, I'm Happy
HiResDes said:
No one cared enough about the album to write a word about it.

16. Lana Del Rey - Born to Die: Paradise Edition
- Genre: Pop
- Sample Track: Ride
FerranMG said:
I went very skeptically into the album, but I ended up loving it. I'm a bit ashamed to admit it, honestly. :$ I love the decadency of her voice tone.

17. Anathema - Weather Systems
- Genre: Atmospheric Rock
- Sample Track: The Storm Before the Calm
RDreamer said:
Anathema has come a far way from their doom metal pioneer roots, and now they seem to be distancing themselves quite a bit from their alt rock days where they wrote depressing (though still sometimes poignant) lyrics and had a bit of a dark outlook on life. Now their music is filled with almost overwhelming hope at times. Hope for humanity, hope for life, and even a sort of hope in death and existence. This direction isn't completely new for Weather Systems. They started that way with their 2010 album We're Here Because We're Here. At first I thought this album would be nothing but b-sides from that album, since it was rumored to be a double disc. Well, even if they were apparently all that time in the oven really helped. This album isn't just a great album for a band that has continued to innovate and excel at whatever direction they go, it's one of the best albums I've ever heard. Every detail is near perfection. The vocals are emotive and the harmonies are beautiful. The acoustic guitar passages are intricate and yet they stick with you for days on end, and the symphonic passages are luscious and brilliantly placed. The further use of the additional female vocals is another great decision by the band. Lee Douglas does one of her best performances yet on one of the more emotional tracks of the entire album, Lightning Song. The flow of the album from song to song takes you on an incredible journey of emotions and sounds.

18. El-P - Cancer for Cure
- Sample Track: Oh Hail No
HiResDes said:
Cancer 4 Cure is basically Fantastic Damage 2.0. His production is still unparalleled possessing futuristic sounds and a meticulous use of noise to create disorienting transitions and add yet another layer to an already impressive myriad of sounds. Also while Killer Mike is undoubtedly the better rapper, I do enjoy El-P's lyrics slightly more for their imagination and batshit insane theatrics. I really couldn't picture anyone else going over some of these beats and maintaining the same of sort dystopic cohesion.

19. Miguel - Kaleidoscope Dream
- Genre: R&B
- Sample Track: Do You...
Snuggler said:
Miguel is a great, charismatic singer and songwriter. I find most modern R&B albums to be way overproduced, but KD feels so loose and raw. I love almost every song on this album.

20. Animal Collective - Centipede Hz
- Genre: Experimental Folk
- Sample Track: Applesauce
gdt said:
I was terrified that they returned to their way out there earlier sound....but they didn't, not really. This album is plenty catchy and hits all those spots for me.

21. Death Grips - Money Store
- Genre: Experimental Hip-Hop/Post-Hardcore
- Sample Track: The Fever
CheesecakeRecipe said:
I'd never heard of Death Grips until The Money Store was at my doorstep with its pants down and its ass firmly mooning me. The beats were so raw and overdriven into the red that I had nam flashbacks to Sleigh Bells's "Treats" from a few years back. On first playthrough, I found it so brash and difficult that I was willing to write it off as a loss but I caught MC Ride's nearly neurotic repetition of phrases slipping to the surface whenever I had a quiet moment to myself. Soon enough I was blaring TMS as I drove around, driving my family, friends and neighbors absolutely up a wall. Now i'm 2noided for my own good, and I have Death Grips' rollercoaster of overdriven 80s burnout druggy disco to thank for it.

22. Killer Mike - R.A.P. Music
- Sample Track: Reagan
Eschaton said:
I'm not a big fan of Killer Mike or El-P. However, something in this mix combined to make hip hop napalm. This shit is hot. It has all the energy and fire of the best tinfoil hat conspiracy rap without any of the corniness. It's Killer Mike coming clean with the audience, telling him what he really thinks. El blessed him with electronic backing that sounds downright soulful on some tracks, and like digital Bathory on others.

23. Converge - All We Love We Leave Behind
- Genre: Hardcore
- Sample Track: All We Love We Leave Behind
BigJiantRobut said:
It's like they listened to the best parts of Axe to Fall (one of my 2009 favorites!) and expanded on them, only without the guest spots, which makes it feel much more like a solid Converge album.

24. Swans - The Seer
- Genre: Post-Industrial
- Sample Track: The Seer Returns
CheesecakeRecipe said:
Staring at the album cover for the first time, I knew I was going to have a bit of a challenging listen ahead of me. I had only listened to Soundtracks for the Blind previously so I only had a small idea of what to expect. Dark as the void itself, a vortex of negative energy and swampy atmosphere trapped my brain into a place it didn't know existed before. Even it its most beautiful moments, there was always a lingering sensation of being watched by the cursed animal on the cover. I knew it was love as soon as the explosive end of the song "Avatar" punched its way through my headphones. Michael Gira and company blew my mind, and thus The Seer sits at our top spot.

25. Dirty Projectors - Swing Lo Magellan
- Genre: Experimental Pop
- Sample Track: Gun Has No Trigger
Creamium said:
Most accessible Dirty Projectors album yet? It's also one of their best... It's filled with fantastic songs that oftentimes sound like Rubber Soul-era Beatles, which is fantastic of course.

Jitters

I just don't get The Chromatics, Grizzly Bear, and Beach House.

I just don't wanna hear another bad word about Pitchfork, as the list is pretty much exactly what I would expect from them, except for a few surprises.

Thats why I don't understand why people on here constantly hate on PF. They have the exact same taste.

Robot 492

Banned
i don't like how quick people are to single out pitchfork when there are hundreds of music blogs that have entirely similar lists. maybe some of these albums are just good...

i should have voted maybe. julia holter & grimes fans represent

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Why would you choose Crack Rock for channel.
B
ORANGE's sample track?

I mean, there's only a few good songs on the entire album, and I don't even think Crack Rock is one of them, but that one out of all of them? It's also not really that representative of the rest of the album IMO.

HiResDes

I just don't get The Chromatics, Grizzly Bear, and Beach House.

Thats why I don't understand why people on here constantly hate on PF. They have the exact same taste.
Ditto

Why would you choose Crack Rock for channel.
B
ORANGE's sample track?

I mean, there's only a few good songs on the entire album, and I don't even think Crack Rock is one of them, but that one out of all of them? It's also not really that representative of the rest of the album IMO.

Crack Rock is top three, especially in terms of lyrical content and depth.

Kaladin

I don't think my musical tastes match up with GAF's.....I kind of like Beach House and I haven't listened to Fiona Apple's newest.

Koodo

Banned
Shrines was such a disgustingly monotone album. Gagging at its inclusion.

But I am here for the Garageband Queen getting the attention she deserves. Bless.

iSg4kKoCAbTVz.gif

Not getting the love for Bloom. If it was their debut sure, but on the back of their fantastic first two albums I consider it a disappointment. There are a few tracks that reach the heights the previous albums hit regularly, but overall I thought it was good but, again, a disappointment.

Don't think Purity Ring is a top 10 record either. I enjoy practically every song on the album, but they didn't really push themselves; they all sound the same. I thought they'd experiment and evolve their sound a bit for a full album.

Ryaaan14

Banned
Holy fucking crap.

This is exactly why I'll never feel comfortable talking about music on GAF.

I've heard of Fiona Apple!!...in 1997

Chris R

Still waiting on some Grizzly Bear stuff to go on sale on Amazon :(

Good to see Lonerism high up though, something I discovered independently of Gaf too!

gdt

Good list. Not interested in rap/rnb but Beach House rocked the shit on Bloom. I'm lukewarm on their first two albums, love Teen Dream, but Bloom is their masterpiece for me.

My AOTY didn't make the list though.

Steamlord

Hmm, nothing too surprising. Glad Burial made the list at least. I figured Animal Collective would have at least stood a chance, but oh well. They'll probably make the top 25, anyway.

mavs

Good list. Not interested in rap/rnb but Beach House rocked the shit on Bloom. I'm lukewarm on their first two albums, love Teen Dream, but Bloom is their masterpiece for me.

My AOTY didn't make the list though.

I'm in the same place as you regarding this list, but if you find yourself on the shady side of youtube give the first place album a listen through. GAF don't steer you wrong.

Fjordson

Wow, really pleased with how high Chromatics is. Was not expecting that.

Anyone who enjoys some quality electronic music (or synth pop, whatever) should give Chromatics a try. I really think Kill For Love is a great album.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom