• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NeoGAF's 2012 Album of the Year Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trey

Literally only heard the top two of the list, but that's okay. GKMC is good enough to carry channelOrange and the rest of this list.

Good shit, GAF.

Jooney

A solid list, I've heard almost all the albums there and can appreciate why their popular.

A few observations:

- Kendrick's #1 spot is well deserved. I was skeptical when I first heard the album but boy did this album just grow on me. The narrative, his unique flow, a voice with something to say ... I can't object to his #1 status, even though I enjoyed Killer Mike's record more. Which leads me to ...

- Killer Mike's RAP Music deserves a place on here.

- I will never understand the "Channel Orange is boring" sentiment. What's boring to me is how stale modern R&B has gotten, with it's dance crossover vibe and auto-tuning. Frank's minimalist approach and superb production are a breath of fresh air in the genre. 2012 was a good year for R&B, with Frank, Miguel, How to Dress Well and The Weekend putting on great records that all deserve a listen.

- I liked the records from Fiona Apple, Beach House and Purity Ring but found that there was nothing there that was bringing me back.

- Japandroids put out an amazing rock record and deserve every bit of love they get. They hold a special place in my heart after seeing them rock Barcelona at 3am at Primavera Sound. I was front and centre on the barrier, and these guys brought so much noise for a two piece. Can't wait to see them play Laneway festival in Sydney and Melbourne next week.

- Godspeed You was introduced to me by Gaf so thanks for that. Can't wait to see them in sydney in a couple of weeks too.

Nert

Great work on putting this post together! I'm glad to see Frank Ocean and Fiona Apple in the top 10, but I'm disappointed to not see Killer Mike's album up there (Big Beast was one of my favorite songs from last year). I'm going to have to listen to everything else that I've missed.

PAULINK

I microwave steaks.
Man, I guess I am really out of touch with music if there is only one artist I recognize on this list, Passion Pit. Also, none of my choices were chosen ;_;

FelixOrion

Poet Centuriate
I kinda knew Kendrick was gonna win GAF's #1 but...

I just can't get into it...it's just so...not as stellar as I hear from everyone, idk, I wasn't impressed at all. It's not a bad album but I would never put it in the "critically acclaimed, perfection from the gods" that everyone else thinks it is.

I kinda knew Kendrick was gonna win GAF's #1 but...

I just can't get into it...it's just so...not as stellar as I hear from everyone, idk, I wasn't impressed at all. It's not a bad album but I would never put it in the "critically acclaimed, perfection from the gods" that everyone else thinks it is.
That's cool if you don't fuck with it but the album has already earned universal critical acclaim, and either way it's really not something you can dictate in the first place.

FelixOrion

Poet Centuriate
That's cool if you don't fuck with it but the album has already earned universal critical acclaim, and either way it's really not something you can dictate in the first place.

I don't understand what you're trying to say to me here at the bold.

And I already know it's received "universal critical acclaim!!" (which is a bit of a ridiculous claim. Everyone loves it? You sure?) cause it's said....a lot. But I'm saying I just don't get all that love, it's not an amazing album.

gimmmick

Tame Impala and Fiona's release's were better than Beach House's Bloom.

japandroids-celebration-rock.jpeg

Was my album of the year.

Meatfist

Aw man, no killer mike :eek:

Pretty solid list though, sans Channel Orange. I find it's very love it or hate it, and I hated it.

japandroids album sucked. Such a disappointment after their great debut. Wow they made anthems that aren't actually good but they ARE ANTHEMS and we haven't heard those in a while. they really did take everything that was lovely about the debut and got rid of it

also I sorta wish people here would defend/bash albums. Don't just say "it's terrible" without an explanation and don't just say "b-b-but it's critically acclaimed!!" It's just sorta boring if that's all we do

Jooney

japandroids album sucked. Such a disappointment after their great debut. Wow they made anthems that aren't actually good but they ARE ANTHEMS and we haven't heard those in a while. they really did take everything that was lovely about the debut and got rid of it

Oh man, totally disagree. To me they took the fun, sing-along bar songs of post-nothing and turned them into life-affirming arena rock songs. You're right in calling them anthems, but the difference between you and I is that I have no problem with that. Their brand is noisy rock sing-along anthems, and if you have seen them live, you'll know how powerful that is.

I had the pleasure of seeing them last year in Barcelona at Primavea Sound. In a three-day festival lineup that included bands like the Cure, Justice, Wilco and others, they for me put on the best goddamn show of the festival. The amount of passion and ferocity their brought to the stage - at 3am! - was something I'll never forget.

f0rk

Oh man, totally disagree. To me they took the fun, sing-along bar songs of post-nothing and turned them into life-affirming arena rock songs. You're right in calling them anthems, but the difference between you and I is that I have no problem with that. Their brand is noisy rock sing-along anthems, and if you have seen them live, you'll know how powerful that is.

I had the pleasure of seeing them last year in Barcelona at Primavea Sound. In a three-day festival lineup that included bands like the Cure, Justice, Wilco and others, they for me put on the best goddamn show of the festival. The amount of passion and ferocity their brought to the stage - at 3am! - was something I'll never forget.

Nah, I still like it but Celebration Rock is definitely a bit over engineered.

HiiiLife

Based Kendrick taking the top spot OBVI. Happy to see Fiona & Jessie Ware on there. I'll have to check out the other artists on there.

(Besides Frank Ocean & Beach House)

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
Great list, Kendrick deserves the top spot. Pleasantly surprised Bloom ended up as high as it did. It's brilliant though, by far Beach House's best album. I remember listening to it for the first time and being really disappointed, then going back and liking different songs on each next listen... It's a weird album, it took a long time for me to click. Now I think every song's pretty much perfect, it's an incredible record

HiResDes

All done! I'd like to personally thank you guys for introducing me to Anathema. I'm quite pick about my metal, it has to be somewhat atmospheric and the vocals can't be too screamy though I don't mind a devilish croon or sludgish belt like in Isis. Weather Systems has proven to be perfect.
I like the first 2. But LOL... not a very good year at all.
You had B.O.B. over Kendrick Lamar and like Nickelback.

HiResDes

Did you hear Dope Body's Natural History?

also I sorta wish people here would defend/bash albums. Don't just say "it's terrible" without an explanation and don't just say "b-b-but it's critically acclaimed!!" It's just sorta boring if that's all we do

I agree with this. Give me Attack on Memory or Evans The Death over that album anyday. Hell even The Men's record was better.

Post-Nothing opened with anti-Thin Lizzy jam "The Boys are Leaving Town," which encapsulated everything this band was about at the time: growing up, leaving home, being unsure and nervous about literally everything now that they are on their own. The great thing about that record was that these themes were represented in the lyrics AND the music. They were these messy pieces that truly sounded like some young guys jamming out in a garage. Everything felt spontaneous, and that stream-of-consciousness mentality made the band/album appear brutally honest and therefore, earnest. I believe Post-Nothing is a wonderful album; it captures the late-teen angst (hate that word, but it sorta fits) that tons of guys go through. And that sounds corny on paper, but when listening to the album, the last word you would ever think is "corny."

Unfortunately, they took almost a complete 180 with the second album. Maybe the lyricism stayed, but the music/production definitely changed for the worse. Like f0rk said, it's over engineered. Everything here was pre-meditated and calculated beforehand. Rock is all about spontaneity. With this album, they completely got rid of the spontaneity, and then had the nerve to call it "Celebration Rock." LP2 felt manufactured, especially in light of their debut, which was so so passionate.

And it's totally fine if people like LP2. I was just dissatisfied with the route the band took.

EDIT: Hey HRD, do you know where Actress placed? :) fine if not!

Oh sweet, I got a quote in for Cloud Nothings. Awesome.

way to undo all the goodwill your Ritzy avatar gave you :'(

(yes I read the other part of your post before I cut it out, I'm just not terribly verbose when it comes to speaking my opinion when it comes to music)

HiResDes

And it's totally fine if people like LP2. I was just dissatisfied with the route the band took.

EDIT: Hey HRD, do you know where Actress placed? :) fine if not!

Actress only had 11 votes, for reference the album in last place in the top 25 had 21 votes. And there were a bunch of albums that had close to 20.

I kind of wish I had voted for this album instead of Purity Ring after it was all said and done.

Oh sweet, I got a quote in for Cloud Nothings. Awesome.

way to undo all the goodwill your Ritzy avatar gave you :'(

(yes I read the other part of your post before I cut it out, I'm just not terribly verbose when it comes to speaking my opinion when it comes to music)

totally fine, read my post above. I kinda explain why I was disappointed with it

Actress only had 11 votes, for reference the album in last place in the top 25 had 21 votes. And there were a bunch of albums that had close to 20.

ahhhh I see, thanks. I'm preaching the gospel of Ghettoville this year! I'll make sure he makes it on the 2013 list. This is our year!!

Greg

Nothing I liked (edit: 'voted for' is better) made the list, but thanks a lot for all the work you put in, HiResDes!

CheesecakeRecipe

Stormy Grey
Looking forward to checking out some of the other winners. I always enjoy seeing a list that I don't have an exact match with because it gives me new tunes to check out. 2012 was a hell of a year for music and 2013's already starting to bring it in the next few months!

Thanks for putting it all together HiResDes, and I'm glad you enjoyed my blurbs!

Greg

Out of curiosity, which albums did you like...I can tell if you if they were close.
I didn't expect most of mine to be close, haha. If I had to pick one it would've been Katatonia - Dead End Kings. I followed the thread pretty closely though, and I think it only had 1 or 2 other mentions.

I love voted lists though, so no complaints here.

sk3

Banned
Shiny Toy Guns > Passion Pit

I like Synth/Electropop but am not a fan of any of those albums on the list. Booo.

Gilby

Alt-J was my top for last year, but I due to a bunch of reasons I didn't listen to much. I still have to listen to the latest Beach House and Dirty Projectors album for example. I also really loved The Walkmen and Thee Oh Sees latest stuff. Oh, and Mother Mother's album was much better than the previous. Kinda surprised that didn't wind up in here somewhere, I thought GAF loved them.

Nice list, thank you for naming the genres and giving some sample tracks. I intend to use it to discover some new artists (as I've only listened to four albums on that list) :)

Also my top two made it, hurray.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom