• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NeoGAF's 2012 Album of the Year Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

K.Sabot

Your sample track links for the top two have had their pitches raised to avoid being taken off youtube.

It really bugs me.

lamaroo

Unconfirmed Member
My numbers 9 and 10 are on there, not sure I really expect to see my other choices show up soon based on what's up there so far.

Holy fucking crap.

This is exactly why I'll never feel comfortable talking about music on GAF.

I've heard of Fiona Apple!!...in 1997

Pretty much this. I've listened to Fiona Apple, Godspeed! You Black Emperor, and Anathema. I'd like to think I have a wide variety in my music taste, but wow.

Spider from Mars

tap that thorax
I still can't really figure out whether Death Grips is supposed to be music that is actually enjoyable or if it's supposed to be a Throbbing Gristle kind of unlistenable anti-music experiment.

I think I may just be too dumb and uncool to get it tho.

Just let MC Ride take you on musical journey.
mc_ride_inspirational_quote_wallpaper_by_swimbound-d5key7b.png

laaame

Passion Pit- Gossamer
HiResDes said:
No one cared enough about the album to write a word about it.

I don't know why but I was laughing at this much harder than I should of.

I thought it was alright, I guess.

-Stranger-

Really good list, i now have heaps of albums to check out.
Kendrick Lamar is rightfully no. 1

I think Sigur Rós - Valtari & Deftones - Koi No Yokan deserved to be there...
But i guess this is what the people voted for!

Jooney

Post-Nothing opened with anti-Thin Lizzy jam "The Boys are Leaving Town," which encapsulated everything this band was about at the time: growing up, leaving home, being unsure and nervous about literally everything now that they are on their own. The great thing about that record was that these themes were represented in the lyrics AND the music. They were these messy pieces that truly sounded like some young guys jamming out in a garage. Everything felt spontaneous, and that stream-of-consciousness mentality made the band/album appear brutally honest and therefore, earnest. I believe Post-Nothing is a wonderful album; it captures the late-teen angst (hate that word, but it sorta fits) that tons of guys go through. And that sounds corny on paper, but when listening to the album, the last word you would ever think is "corny."

Unfortunately, they took almost a complete 180 with the second album. Maybe the lyricism stayed, but the music/production definitely changed for the worse. Like f0rk said, it's over engineered. Everything here was pre-meditated and calculated beforehand. Rock is all about spontaneity. With this album, they completely got rid of the spontaneity, and then had the nerve to call it "Celebration Rock." LP2 felt manufactured, especially in light of their debut, which was so so passionate.

And it's totally fine if people like LP2. I was just dissatisfied with the route the band took.

Thanks for your perspectives man, really appreciate you putting that together.

I was (am) a fan of post-nothing back in the day of its release. And I like it exactly for the reasons you do so - the spontaneity, the desperation, the nothing-to-lose attitude the pervades the album. It makes sense given the context of the record (i'm sure you know that the record was meant to be their swan song, before they quit the band and called it a day. The internet had other plans for the band though ...). Given that history, how can they realistically capture that same feeling of "this is all going to be over soon" on the second record?

If Celebration Rock is "over-engineered" its only relative to the first LP. It shouldn't be tarnished with what I see as a derogatory label.

What you describe as a "180", I see LP2 as an extension of their original sound.

At the end of the day, its each to his own. For what its worth, you're impassioned defence of post-nothing has got me pumping it through my v-modas as I type this! :)

Servbot24

Banned
A bit melodramatic.

I don't know, to me music is an important method of creative expression and those albums water it down to such a vapid level that it becomes insulting. I shouldn't have lumped Frank in there though, he's enormously overrated but not all bad.

I don't understand what you're trying to say to me here at the bold.

And I already know it's received "universal critical acclaim!!" (which is a bit of a ridiculous claim. Everyone loves it? You sure?) cause it's said....a lot. But I'm saying I just don't get all that love, it's not an amazing album.
You said you wouldn't call it "critically acclaimed" but the album received fantastic reviews and that's just a fact. I wasn't arguing your opinion, I'm just saying good kid was a critical darling and that's a contributing factor in how it garnered so much word-of-mouth to begin with.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom