• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NES/Famicom Appreciation Thread

F2PNKSW.png

Only if someone actually did this.

Peltz

Watching it right now. What is the name of the app they mentioned that is a video game database that ranks games by how common they are?

EDIT: Found it, it's called NES Collector. Looks neat, but not for $3.99 neat.

What did you think of the movie?

dcx4610

I watched Nintendo Quest as well.

Nice guys and I really liked the collector at the end. I thought they glossed over too much though. Less history and commentary, more tracking down games and showing the pick ups.

I also didn't like them not explaining the money. How much did he have? Where did he get it? What was his budget? If we knew that, it would have been more compelling. I also didn't feel any real passion. It just felt like an idea they had on a whim to get all of the games and not some big lifetime goal.

I know they had to try to keep it entertaining but most people that are going to watch are collectors or Nintendo fans. It's a very niche audience and I just personally cared about seeing the prices, the games, the negotiating and the pick ups.

Dishwalla

Banned
I finished it up, it's an interesting movie. The ending with the private collector in Ohio was indeed neat, although I honestly was more interested in the shots showing off his collection, man he had a lot of stuff. Also liked the bit with the "rival" collector and the Jetsons game, that was pretty neat.

One thing I thought was odd was he had to quit about half way through when he was already in the U.S. to go back home and back to work. I think it was mentioned at the beginning of the film that he worked in a game store, strange how he couldn't get the month off to do this project. It kind of stopped the film, and of course screwed him over.

Also wish I could go to some of these stores. Ones like the one in Toronto I have seen before on the Game Chasers and such, just wish I could go and check them out.

shanafan

What did you think of the movie?

I really enjoyed it. I watch shows like the Game Chasers, so I have some knowledge on some of the titles that he had to collect, so seeing titles like Contra Force was pretty cool.

I wished they disclosed how much his budget was, and how much the deals were for that he was getting. He would mention that he got a really deal at A to Z in Canada on Bubble Bobble 2, but what was considered "a really good deal"?

The film mentioned how no Internet was being used at all, so how did they know which shops to hit up and which collectors were willingly to help? Going in, I literally thought he was going game hunting without anyone's assistance.

Of the titles left over, I was surprised to see Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde on his list. I would have thought that was a pretty common title. Titles like Battletoads & Double Dragon made sense why he didn't pick that up. I am surprised that title wasn't in the top 20, but it has to be in the top 40 at least.

As far the main guy on the show, Jay, he was alright. Maybe a little too depressed of a person though. He went on a few rants about feeling anxiety at four way stops, that I quite didn't understand. It felt out of place - but made sense if comparing it to collecting all 678 NES games in 30 days. But, an odd comparison at that.

Negatives aside, I enjoyed watching it. I'll give it a B+.

BTails

I had 20 min to play some Wrecking Crew today, and had a lot of fun. Got up to level 11 before getting game over, though it looks like you can continue right where you ended. I've never actually played this game before, but it definitely has the great classic Nintendo arcade feel. It also reminds me of Hard Hat Harry, which I played over and over again on my old Apple II back in the day.

Finally started playing Zelda 2 after hearing at least 10 years of nothing but hate about it.

I gotta say I vastly prefer it over the first Zelda. The combat is really fun and a lot of stuff from other platformers carry over to it, so I'm not having too much trouble. Granted I haven't gotten to Death Moutain yet and just completed the 2nd Dungeon.

The only annoyance has to be starting at Zelda every time you die unlike in other Zelda games. So far it's been an unexpected gem and a great platformer. It kinda makes me want a new 2d Zelda in its style.

Morfeo

The Chuck Norris of Peace
Finally started playing Zelda 2 after hearing at least 10 years of nothing but hate about it.

I gotta say I vastly prefer it over the first Zelda. The combat is really fun and a lot of stuff from other platformers carry over to it, so I'm not having too much trouble. Granted I haven't gotten to Death Moutain yet and just completed the 2nd Dungeon.

The only annoyance has to be starting at Zelda every time you die unlike in other Zelda games. So far it's been an unexpected gem and a great platformer. It kinda makes me want a new 2d Zelda in its style.

Only people that dont really play and like Nes-games criticize Zelda 2. In this thread you will always find a lot of praise for it, and personally, I consider it a top 3 Nes-game. Glad you like it, looking forward to hear more!

OnPoint

Only people that dont really play and like Nes-games criticize Zelda 2. In this thread you will always find a lot of praise for it, and personally, I consider it a top 3 Nes-game. Glad you like it, looking forward to hear more!

I play a ton of NES and I'm not fond of it. Great ideas and a true evolution of the series, mired in some terrible decisions and obtuse directions. It's a lot like Castlevania II in that way, though, Zelda II is a much better game. It's one of those games that I'd love to play through a fan-hack that corrects some of the problems the game has.

As far the main guy on the show, Jay, he was alright. Maybe a little too depressed of a person though. He went on a few rants about feeling anxiety at four way stops, that I quite didn't understand. It felt out of place - but made sense if comparing it to collecting all 678 NES games in 30 days. But, an odd comparison at that.

Yeah I would agree with this big time. Seemed kind of out of place and sudden, plus they never told us if his dog was ok. or got better. It was an interesting movie, though partially collectard in some respects. Not so much Jay, but some of the other collectors that he met. The guy at the end seemed really nice and a decent fellow but wow really 2 Bonks, 2 Stadium events with boxes, 2 Little Samsons, sheesh. I don't know, I suppose I also look at it differently. A few years back I really consciously stopped calling it a collection, and started to refer to it as my library of games.

I don't know, not trying to be harsh on anyone just some times "collecting" takes people to weird extremes.

I also love Weber grills and I'm on a forum that's like a Weber grill fan forum, and there's some hardcore collectors on there. That I'd say really push the collectard. There are these rare Weber grills from the 70s that one dude seems to have to buy up and corner the market on. Shit like that bothers me.

Morfeo

I play a ton of NES and I'm not fond of it. Great ideas and a true evolution of the series, mired in some terrible decisions and obtuse directions. It's a lot like Castlevania II in that way, though, Zelda II is a much better game. It's one of those games that I'd love to play through a fan-hack that corrects some of the problems the game has.

Yeah, I guess I exaggerated a bit, but my point is that a lot of Nes-fans like this game, and I personally love it :) I actually dont really see the weaknesses people talk about with this game, I think it is basically perfect for what it tries to do, and there is no stupid duck for whirlwind like in Simons Quest - a game that is obtuse by design for some strange reason. Zelda 2 has excellent, challenging and fun combat, it has pretty good dungeons (but this is probably the weakest part overall), great bosses, and a fantastic sense of scale and exploration. I also dont think the game is particularly difficult, and that the start at the Zelda-castle matter much since you open up alot of shortcuts.

OnPoint

Yeah, I guess I exaggerated a bit, but my point is that a lot of Nes-fans like this game, and I personally love it :) I actually dont really see the weaknesses people talk about with this game, I think it is basically perfect for what it tries to do, and there is no stupid duck for whirlwind like in Simons Quest - a game that is obtuse by design for some strange reason. Zelda 2 has excellent, challenging and fun combat, it has pretty good dungeons (but this is probably the weakest part overall), great bosses, and a fantastic sense of scale and exploration. I also dont think the game is particularly difficult, and that the start at the Zelda-castle matter much since you open up alot of shortcuts.

Obviously based on my thoughts: My biggest complaint is all the grinding. And the movement speed is too low. And the random battles too plentiful. It just needs some streamlining and it's seriously one of the best on the system. But it just feels like such a slog sometimes.

AmyS

Early 90s Game Informer - Shatterhand review.

gu9VN4u.jpg

yhi5DBi.jpg

I think if I were to rate Shatterhand, I'd be in the middle of those two. Great game.

Peltz

Yeah I would agree with this big time. Seemed kind of out of place and sudden, plus they never told us if his dog was ok. or got better.

You must've missed it.
The dog died a few weeks after the 30 days expired, but before months before he bought Stadium Events.

Morfeo

Obviously based on my thoughts: My biggest complaint is all the grinding. And the movement speed is too low. And the random battles too plentiful. It just needs some streamlining and it's seriously one of the best on the system. But it just feels like such a slog sometimes.

I dont think there is alot of grinding really. You get a free level for each dungeon you beat, and usually you get one or two in the dungeon as well, meaning I usually max out or come close to max out my stat without grinding. Its more optional really. About the random battles, sure, i can see that, even though i personally think its adds to the tension :)

It took me a while to play Zelda 2 for that reason as well. And my comments basically echo yours - I found it a really fun game especially the combat which was really fast paced.

BTails

I absolutely love Zelda 2, and have been thinking about a replay sometime this summer, though I need to change the battery in my cart first.

I actually beat the game way back when, sometime when I was in high school, so most likely around 12 years ago now. I found the combat extremely satisfying once you got the hang of it and unlocked some of the moves (Downward thrust was always my favourite).

One of the reasons I want to play it again is because there was one jump I could never make, it was in a cave on the way to the final dungeon. I remember dying over and over and over, and thinking it impossible. Then one day my friend came over, and I was telling him about this impossible jump, and he says "Well, let me try". Boot up the NES, get to the jump, pass him the controller, and he nails it on his first go.

He smiles, passes me back the controller, and I proceed to beat the game with him beside me. Just another classic video game memory, one of those stories that we all have.

Morfeo

Some seriously awesome games we get to choose from next month, and great post as always OnPoint!

bearbytes

Voted for Little Mermaid. I have a copy on the way, managed to get it CIB for $13, which I was pretty excited about. It's been on my list for a while anyways.

jt9HNU0.jpg

I started playing some Dick Tracy a couple nights ago. I loved Dick Tracy as a kid, had a bunch of the action figures as well as the NES game. Back then, I never really managed to make it anywhere, I would just sort of drive around, shoot the roof top snipers and beat up dudes in some of the locations.

Like many of us probably did, I traded in my whole NES collection to Funcoland so I could get some money to put towards newer stuff. Since then I've kind of avoided the game, I think in part to some memories of not knowing where to go, not making any progress, etc. Anyways, I decided to give it a go on my Everdrive, and I've actually been enjoying it. I solved the first two cases and decided to grab a cart before I play any more. It goes for around $5.

For those that aren't familiar with the game, you play as Dick Tracy, kind of an old school 1920s type detective. You drive around the city in an over head view, and you can get out of your car and enter certain locations. Some of these locations will be full of henchmen, and you'll have to fight your way though in search of clues. Each case will have a number of clues to find, usually 4 or 5. Sometimes the clues give you an idea of where you should go next, but not always, which can be kind of a pain. Once you've found all the clues you can check your mug shots to find the last whereabouts of the culprit, and head over to that location and arrest them.

The game has issues. You get a new password each time you solve a case, but since one death is game over you have to solve each case without dying. Sometimes you just have to drive around and check different locations if you don't know where you're supposed to go, and some of locations can feel a bit samey. Using healing items is a bit weird. You press the Select button to cycle through weapons/fists/first aid. You use the selected item with B, except for the first aid items, where you have to hold down B and push Select again to use the item... I had to look that one up because I couldn't figure it out. I'm guessing they wanted to make it harder to use them by accident since they can be pretty scarce.

Anyways it's kind of a cool and unique game. Solving the cases won't take too much brain power or anything, but it's a nice change of pace from a more typical level based structure. It's worth a shot at 5 bucks imo, plus that cover art is pretty cool.

Morfeo

I only have Little Mermaid on Game Boy. It's kind of the same thing right?

If its anything like the other Capcom-games, then the level design is probably slightly altered to fit more to the smaller screen, but in general the same.

NES GAF, what's your favorite translated Super Famicom games?

Like, fan translated? If you like Beat-em-ups and action games take a look at Technos' Shin Nekketsu Koha: Kunio-tachi no Banka (translation by Aeon Genesis) and for RPGs take a look at Square's Live A Live (translation by Aeon Genesis) or Seiken Densetsu 3 (translation by Neill Corlett, et al.)

edit: why the fuck did I think this was the SNES thread? Disregard.

Mega

Banned
I borrowed Wrecking Crew from a friend in middle school and was hooked for weeks. I think I made it through most of the 100 levels, except a couple of the really tough stages near the end.

Wrecking Crew's level editor was the first kind I ever played and gave me my first ever awareness as a kid that making a game isn't easy even when you have the building blocks and game concept in place.

Teknoman

Like, fan translated? If you like Beat-em-ups and action games take a look at Technos' Shin Nekketsu Koha: Kunio-tachi no Banka (translation by Aeon Genesis) and for RPGs take a look at Square's Live A Live (translation by Aeon Genesis) or Seiken Densetsu 3 (translation by Neill Corlett, et al.)

He did ask for Super Famicom, so not too far off. Personally i'd like to know more about famicom translations since SFC is the main focus for em (and maybe PS1).

b3b0p

After the recent discussions, I am so ready for this classic!

I assume you mean Zelda 2.

We need to put this controversy to rest. That is, is Zelda 2 truly a great gem? It appears there is a large portion of people that hold their nose up to Zelda 2, as if it doesn't exist. Like Mario 2.

Speaking of Mario 2, this is my other early nomination for next month ;)

It's okay. I think the concept has a lot of merit, though it's got a rather steep difficulty curve - which, considering the era the game was made in, is par for the course, really. Wouldn't mind seeing Nintendo revisit the concept and apply some more modern design sensibilities to it - like not having to grind for EXP to make your sword/magic/defense stronger, or clearer indicators of where everything is and what you're doing at any given moment. However, given that even their portable is 3D at this point, I somehow don't see them going back to making a purely sidescrolling Zelda game any time soon...

Morfeo

I assume you mean Zelda 2.

We need to put this controversy to rest. That is, is Zelda 2 truly a great gem? It appears there is a large portion of people that hold their nose up to Zelda 2, as if it doesn't exist. Like Mario 2.

Speaking of Mario 2, this is my other early nomination for next month ;)

Zelda 2, yeah :) Mario 2 is another excellent game, but I dont think you can do two nominations for one month, so just hold onto that for later.

It's okay. I think the concept has a lot of merit, though it's got a rather steep difficulty curve - which, considering the era the game was made in, is par for the course, really. Wouldn't mind seeing Nintendo revisit the concept and apply some more modern design sensibilities to it - like not having to grind for EXP to make your sword/magic/defense stronger, or clearer indicators of where everything is and what you're doing at any given moment. However, given that even their portable is 3D at this point, I somehow don't see them going back to making a purely sidescrolling Zelda game any time soon...

It is not difficult, seriously. There is one part of the game that can be considered somewhat challenging (the road to the last palace), but nothing more than some levels in Mario 1, the corridor before Grim Reaper in Castlevania or the Yellow Devil in Mega Man. And its nowhere near the challenge of aimlessly wander around searching for the correct way to get through the forest in Zelda 1 or other obtuse things. Also, there is no real grinding in this game. If you explore and find most stuff, you will be at or close to max levels when you beat the game. I guess it might be tempting to grind earlier, but its not really necessary.

ultimos

Neo Member
There is one part of the game that can be considered somewhat challenging (the road to the last palace)

I was starting to think I was going crazy - I've played and enjoyed Zelda 2 many times over the years, and this part (and this part alone) is the only thing that I felt may be too tough and has kept me from finishing it. And really, a very difficult part near the end of a game (particularly an older game) isn't something I see as a huge flaw.

Morfeo

I was starting to think I was going crazy - I've played and enjoyed Zelda 2 many times over the years, and this part (and this part alone) is the only thing that I felt may be too tough and has kept me from finishing it. And really, a very difficult part near the end of a game (particularly an older game) isn't something I see as a huge flaw.

Right, and when you finally make it, the continue function mean that you can actually start right at the great palace!

SKINNER!

Banned

Still good! I'll check them out :) Cheers

carlos

I came across an old funcoland price guide from 1999 and it hurt me badly.....little samson for 5 bucks among many others.
I'm tempted to scan it and make y'all feel the pain 😟

BTails

Maybe i should actually give it a good shot. I mean it is an Atlus game :p

You should, Tekno. It's been given a bad rap over the past few years due to the AVGN episode, but it's actually a pretty solid game. Besides the music, which is extremely repetitive.

Honestly, having watched slowbeef streaming it almost nightly for the past week, I'm of a very different mind. That game looks tedious as hell, even by the standards of the time.

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
Honestly, having watched slowbeef streaming it almost nightly for the past week, I'm of a very different mind. That game looks tedious as hell, even by the standards of the time.

Yeah I was watching earlier and looking at this thread at the same time and going "Ooookaaaaay...."

OnPoint

Friday the 13th is what we're talking about, no? I have a lot of experience with that one.

The game has its bright spots. I really like the mixture of in-cabin exploration and overworld sidescrolling. The puzzles are nifty and finding items to use in other places is a sophisticated touch for a game of its time. Switching counselors is novel and I liked the "children dying" life mechanic. Also, if you surrender yourself to the atmosphere it creates, it can feel really tense and be pretty scary.

As for the negatives: I did not like how slow the overworld travel is, especially when under the gun of child murder. The map is not as straight forward as it needs to be as its easy to get turned around. I do not like how random some of the drops (good weapons, healing items, etc) can be. Exploration in the forest and the cave is abysmal and its easy to get lost in what is a small area. Several of the counselors are straight up useless. And the music -- all of the music in the game -- is seriously less than a minute in length strung together back to back. Seriously, the overworld music is like a 10 second loop.

Somewhere between good and bad, the Punch-Out!! style boss fights are a cool idea but they are unforgiving, especially if you don't have a decent weapon. The day-night cycle is another cool idea that I can't remember having much of an effect on the actual game.

it's definitely something worth experiencing. But don't go in expecting much. If you take it for what it is, you can have a fun time.

BTails

Nightmare on Elm Street is better than Friday the 13th.

Agreed, and I'm one of the ones defending Friday the 13th! Friday is slower paced, as it's all about making sure to keep your camp counselors alive and stocked with strong weapons. Especially as you get into day 2 & 3 when Jason is REALLY strong.

Nightmare is a great action game, especially for 2-4 players, that doesn't overstay its welcome. The powerups you can use while asleep are fun, the bosses are neat, and the game is actually pretty varied (house stages, junkyard, school, etc...). Plus, the music is fantastic! I think it's a David Wise OST.

Top Bottom