• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New 3DS packaging design is amazing.

IMG_20140904_194440-550x431.png

Lovely design. Except...there's a bullet headed straight for Mario's head. That's an odd choice in design for a product you want to succeed, don't you think? Especially since, symbolically, Mario is Nintendo. Just seems weird.

ConceptX

Excellent packaging, puts the core selling points front and centre.

New 3DS: Faceplates
3DS.LL: Much larger screens.

Job done, and done well.

Though as others have mentioned, I highly doubt EU or NA will get anything close.

trixx

regular new 3ds looks better than the XL new 3ds. If the regular is comfy id rather get that than the xl.

Speedwagon

Michelangelo painted the Sistine Chapel. Yabuki turned off voice chat in Mario Kart races. True artists of their time.
Please for the love of glob keep everything the same NoA.

Mr.Swag

Banned
Haven't owned a Nintendo system since gameboy advance, but this NewDS is calling my attention. When should I expect it in the US?

Kitoro

Loving the non-XL packaging! Not loving the different shades of white and black face, though. Pretty much guarantees that I'll be buying new faceplates for mine before I even take the system out of the box.

Lovely design. Except...there's a bullet headed straight for Mario's head. That's an odd choice in design for a product you want to succeed, don't you think? Especially since, symbolically, Mario is Nintendo. Just seems weird.

I really don't see it that way. That's just what Mario does.

I think it's neat that he's actually on the package. It kind of lets you know what you're getting. It instantly looks like a gaming device now.

KillGore

No, it's like the DSi, a few minor exclusives and games that take advantage of extra features, but is only a stop-gap between a new platform in 2 or so years.

How do we know it'll be like the DSi and have "a few minor exclusives"? Are we just assuming?

Also, Xenoblade is bigger than anything the DSi got. That was mostly for downloadable games, while this is a big title.

Doorman

It makes me really sad that everything seems to be going in favor of the regular n3DS over the LL/XL....except for the whole larger screen thing. Which, when the headline games for the system are things like Xenoblade and Monster Hunter 4G, having a larger screen feels like it's extremely important. If I ever do get one of these newer systems I can't imagine playing MH4 on the small screen.

Gsnap

Man everything about the n3ds is hot hot hot. I need a gif of an anime character falling over and spraying blood out of his nose. Stat!

Damn. I want one bad. I'm actually glad it's not coming out in NA this season, there's enough things competing for my money as it is...

Mathaou

legacy of cane
I bought the 2DS because I was cheap. This is making me look into my soul and ask myself - Do you really need a bigger sc- aaaaaaand preorder on amazon.

watershed

Banned
I know right? As an XL owner I feel like their trying their best to convert me over to the regular New 3DS. First removable plates and now this.

Yeah and the lack of face plates for the LL is disappointing as well. But if I upgrade I'm gonna go for the bigger screens.

Shojx

It looks like he's risking it all for that single coin. Although, it doesn't look like he's small Mario so he'd probably survive getting hit by it. Maybe there's some symbolism in there, like Nintendo's telling me to bite the bullet and purchase the n3DS, even though I've barely had my XL...

Although I'd want the new LL / XL instead, which doesn't have the same great packaging design and faceplates that the normal sized one does. But I don't think I can go back to a smaller screen... Hmm...

Wow, now I want a New Nintendo 3DS, but I am definitely not in the position to spend money needlessly. I don't even play on mine that much, either.

But damn. It just looks solid.

Are you wearing a foil hat?

Hell no. Only the thickest, lead coated Buzzy Beetle shell worn over the cranium will protect you from Nintendo's thought police.

I don't think it's a conspiracy. Just a funny slip up that someone should have caught. Now that I've seen it, I can't unsee it. It ruins an the whole package for me. Not that it matters, because it'll never make it to NA

B-Genius

Unconfirmed Member
Awesome. If I tore off Christmas wrapping paper and saw this, my heart would explode with glee.

Fuck this minimal Apple style shit we're seeing recently. Not everything has to be "clean" and trendy.

Hell no. Only the thickest, lead coated Buzzy Beetle shell worn over the cranium will protect you from Nintendo's thought police.

I don't think it's a conspiracy. Just a funny slip up that someone should have caught. Now that I've seen it, I can't unsee it. It ruins an the whole package for me. Not that it matters, because it'll never make it to NA
Hm, I think the Bullet Bill is in the background. And even if it's not, Mario is spry. He can just duck :)
Seems too confusing for me. I'd rather prefer simplicity like apple's packagings.

Awesome. If I tore off Christmas wrapping paper and saw this, my heart would explode with glee.

Fuck this minimal Apple style shit we're seeing recently. Not everything has to be "clean" and trendy.
lol

v0yce

Lol! This is as trendy as it gets. It's "cool" simply because it's different. But In a short time people will remember that this stuff is actually really tacky.

Whereas minimalism is timeless. The super famicon box is actually a great minamalist design.

This new 3DS box is trying way too hard. It's loud and obnoxious. Looks cheap.

Danielsan

Can't say I'm a fan. Looks like sneaker packaging design. The black N3DS also doesn't stand out from the background(s).

Lol! This is as trendy as it gets. It's "cool" simply because it's different. But In a short time people will remember that this stuff is actually really tacky.

Whereas minimalism is timeless. The super famicon box is actually a great minamalist design.

This new 3DS box is trying way too hard. It's loud and obnoxious. Looks cheap.

Eh, it all goes in cycles. All that Apple minimalist styling is going to age just as badly as everything else.

Top Bottom