• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New 3DS packaging design is amazing.

v0yce

Eh, it all goes in cycles. All that Apple minimalist styling is going to age just as badly as everything else.

Nah. At worst you could say it's "boring" but it will always be tasteful and appropriate. Does a simple black tee ever go out of style? Loud and outrageous is fun for a short time and then a few years down the road you look back and wonder what you were thinking.

Gattsu25

Banned
IMG_20140904_194440-550x431.png
Reminds me of kleenex boxes:

oSGhjob.jpg

I think the box, especially for the white version, uses a very nice colour palette that will stand the test of time. Nintendo's packaging has been slacking this generation. The Wii was amazing, the 3DS and Wii U are kind of forgettable.

It's not because it uses colour and patterns that it's tacky and childish. Even the XL box has some quirky type going on that reads very well. I for one welcome this evolution for Nintendo's design language. It suits them and shows their uniqueness compared to the competition. If any 'serious gamer' finds this off-putting, I don't think they were going to ever buy a Nintendo console anyway. I've shared pics of the boxes with *cough* casual scum and everyone responded extremely positively, these are the ppl that bought a 3DS for Animal Crossing, Pokémon & Tomodachi Life. Appealing to that market is smart.

Impotaku

One thing has just occured to me, Nintendo designed the coloured buttons as a throwback to the super famicom pad design. Im curious to what America will get, are they going to make them purple to replicate the American SNES

I think the box, especially for the white version, uses a very nice colour palette that will stand the test of time. Nintendo's packaging has been slacking this generation. The Wii was amazing, the 3DS and Wii U are kind of forgettable.

It's not because it uses colour and patterns that it's tacky and childish. Even the XL box has some quirky type going on that reads very well. I for one welcome this evolution for Nintendo's design language. It suits them and shows their uniqueness compared to the competition. If any 'serious gamer' finds this off-putting, I don't think they were going to ever buy a Nintendo console anyway. I've shared pics of the boxes with *cough* casual scum and everyone responded extremely positively, these are the ppl that bought a 3DS for Animal Crossing, Pokémon & Tomodachi Life. Appealing to that market is smart.
What's amazing about a white console on a white background?

m00h

Banned
If I import the jap new 3DS, will the games that I purchase in the e-store be in japanese language only? Because right now it looks so tempting.

Looks great! Even the XL box is extremely inviting, it's interesting how they're box stylistically different considering the different demographics each are meant to sell to. The regular New 3DS is meant to best be held by children, so it's extremely vibrant and colorful. Meanwhile, the XL box is a bit more subdued with its color choices, simply showing the system itself without any wacky pictures or anything. I like both, they both look great.

These new 3DS' give me hope that the system will last a little bit longer, hopefully pushing Nintendo to find a reason to make a Majora's Mask 3D. I've never wanted a remake or remastering of a game more than this :(

Top Bottom