• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Animal Crossing: Jump Out Details

Kacho

This is going to be a classic. Nintendo is doing everything right with Animal Crossing this time around.

Lotto

Can't believe I'm getting excited about eating ice-cream cones in a game. Hopefully the sequel will have popsicles.

Seems were also going to be able to build monuments like Tokyo Tower or the pyramids. And islands!! if the box art is anything to go by.

My god I just remembered there's swimming and a proper beach...Picnics on the beach eating ice-cream. My summers are ruined.

For any other game new features like "can have picnics" or "new part time job options" would sound awful, but for Animal Crossing it's just more time sucking fun.

This is going to be a classic. Nintendo is doing everything right with Animal Crossing this time around.
Not until they've added more interactive furniture and sports. And then, with expanded online options and landscaping customization, I'd be satisfied.

But damn if this line-up of new features isn't impressive. I lowered my expectations well for this title.

Not until they've added more interactive furniture and sports. And then, with expanded online options and landscaping customization, I'd be satisfied.

But damn if this line-up of new features isn't impressive. I lowered my expectations well for this title.

More interactive furniture?

How about an air-conditioner you control with remote?

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
Damn, Nintendo is changing the formula a LOT for this one. Last one I played was Wild World, so this is always welcome.

Man I feel like I'm in bizarro world. I keep seeing AC threads like this, a list of bullet points that are completely and utterly unremarkable, and people all like YES!!!

So I can put a thing in my town. "Okay." Now what. "Decorating the place" is not enough to excite my Animal Crossing Organ. And that's all I hear in every thread. Oh, you can place these things. Oh, you can change the textures on these other things. Basically bringing the customization out of your house, more into the whole town.

But this doesn't change the game progression at all. It's the same old, just putting things in new places. Fine, these could be okay things, but I don't get how people are EXCITED about them. Such boring lists of features!

"Can eat ice cream cones."

"Can drink coffee outside."

WOW-FUCKIN-EE!!!

Man I feel like I'm in bizarro world. I keep seeing AC threads like this, a list of bullet points that are completely and utterly unremarkable, and people all like YES!!!

So I can put a thing in my town. "Okay." Now what. "Decorating the place" is not enough to excite my Animal Crossing Organ. And that's all I hear in every thread. Oh, you can place these things. Oh, you can change the textures on these other things. Basically bringing the customization out of your house, more into the whole town.

But this doesn't change the game progression at all. It's the same old, just putting things in new places. Fine, these could be okay things, but I don't get how people are EXCITED about them. Such boring lists of features!

WOW-FUCKIN-EE!!!

It's a life simulator that is now allowing you to do more 'life' things.
It's also the biggest change between versions ever in this series.

Salsa

one of the things I like the most about AC is how we all go batshit insane for the smalles changes ever

YOU CAN DRINK COFFEE OUTSIDE HOLY SHIT YESSSSSSS

it's like Pokemon

Gravijah

WOW-FUCKIN-EE!!!

i know personally i don't want the game progression or base game changed much. i just want more stuff to do, more villages, personalities, etc. i don't want a different game.

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!

It's not a life simulator, it's a "communication game." Nintendo describes it as such itself. So much of your time is spent interacting with the villagers, and this is what has been enhanced the LEAST from version to version.

There is SO much they could do there. Real factions within the village. Friends because of shared opinions and hobbies, not just gifts. People forming impressions of you because of the things you say. Natural affinities. Cliques. ACTUAL COMMUNITY BUILDING.

But no, we get the ability to texture the sleeves on a shirt.

Yeah. Unlike the previous games, which pretty much focused on you paying off a debt on a house, this game seems more focused on you being mayor of the town and making decisions as such that will affect it and how it develops over time. This game seems like an interesting change from the previous ones to me.

lol guys is this worth my money? I'm a huge AC fan but City Folk left too big of a bruise.

There's a fair amount new to this game:
-Act as mayor and customize buildings/features of your town. Comes with a secretary.
-Customize the outside of your house
-New fish, bugs, fossils
-New furniture
-More clothes and more customization of them, share with QR Codes
-Change color patterns on furniture
-Swimming, picnics
-New villagers, shops, personalities, & characters
-Islands
-K.K. Slider is there
-Change the operating hours of your town
-New flowers
-StreetPass functionality

-Act as mayor and customize buildings/features of your town.
-New fish, bugs, fossils
-New furniture
-Swimming, picnics
-Islands
-K.K. Slider is there
-New flowers

That is actually quite a respectable amount of changes.
Not anything surprising, but still fresh.

Kesagiri

-Act as mayor and customize buildings/features of your town. Comes with a secretary.
-New fish, bugs, fossils
-New furniture
-Swimming, picnics
-Islands
-K.K. Slider is there
-New flowers

Okay this game is now #1 most wanted. Glad they're bringing back islands.

The major thing this will have going for it is you'll be able to download it meaning it'll be very easy to click and play for 5-10 minutes each day because you won't have to swap disc/carts to play it.

Mr. F

Banned
I may be biased as Wild World was my first AC, but I feel like the series is best suited for portable play. Don't have a 3DS yet but stoked for this all the same.

Has an explanation ever been given on why the camera changed from the great overhead model to the nausea inducing spinning model, with no option to pick the superior form?

-New fish, bugs, fossils
-New furniture
-Swimming, picnics
-Islands
-K.K. Slider is there
-New flowers

Yeah, an actual sequel after 11 years. Amazing.

It's not a life simulator, it's a "communication game." Nintendo describes it as such itself. So much of your time is spent interacting with the villagers, and this is what has been enhanced the LEAST from version to version.

There is SO much they could do there. Real factions within the village. Friends because of shared opinions and hobbies, not just gifts. People forming impressions of you because of the things you say. Natural affinities. Cliques. ACTUAL COMMUNITY BUILDING.

But no, we get the ability to texture the sleeves on a shirt.
Think smaller, my friend. I know how you feel, but a lot of that just isn't technologically feasible. I definitely want the villagers to have much more expansive dialogue trees and for them to interact with the payers much more often. Playing sports with your neighbors, for example, would add a lot of vitality to what's already a needlessly dull daily experience. I loved kicking balls around with villagers in the GC game, and I really want more village interactivity and complex AI/dialogue to return.

They won't announce any of that as a major marketing feature, though, so we'll have to wait and see if the dialogue trees are more interesting, expansive, and frequent.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Animal Crossing is that ONE Nintendo franchise I've just never been able to get into.

Change me Nintendo! =(

Find other people to play with. People in your own home, or friends online. Turnip Stock Market was 85% of the total playtime for us in City Folk.

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
Think smaller, my friend. I know how you feel, but a lot of that just isn't technologically feasible.

Okay well that is just ridiculous. Such a thing would be feasible on the friggin N64, there is nothing technically infeasible about bundling a set of attributes with each character, and branching dialog and reactions based upon how those attributes change over time.

We aren't getting it because they just don't want to do it, not because they can't. So I think it's pretty fair to be disappointed. I really expected Animal Crossing to be a series that expanded in a ton of cool ways, particularly as it showed up on increasingly networked devices, but I've just been astonished by how utterly stagnant it's remained, and how the vast majority of the enhancements to the structure have been of the "collect and decorate" type, and nothing more.

I definitely appreciate the "feel" of an Animal Crossing game, the glacial pace, the casual doin of whatever, the relaxing music. The sense of just "being in a place." But I think an emphasis on your interactions within the community, and enhancements in that area, would serve to deepen that feel more than just being able to physically customize the game areas more.

They won't announce any of that as a major marketing feature, though, so we'll have to wait and see if the dialogue trees are more interesting, expansive, and frequent.

But they'll announce eating ice cream? I think if it was in there, they'd have talked about it, considering the level of inanity we're seeing in these lists lately.

Really, at this point, I just want to know more about swimming. What happens when you dive underwater? That happened in the first damn trailer. Do you go somewhere?

blamite

Oh man I'm so hyped. :lol

This was the last game I'd expect to be excited for, but after having gone so long without my AC fix, I'm so ready to get sucked into this. All the new stuff sounds great, too.

Do we have any idea how big the town is this time? Hopefully at least as big as the original?

Other stuff that was revealed in Famitsu last week

There is a Reset Monitoring Center in the game
Mr. Resetti yells at you when you reset the game
Determine your own laws and what you want the town to be like
Laws will be setup only once
You can make it so that your town is where flowers grow easily, a morning-type town, a rich town, and so on
You can have a town that doesn’t sleep, which extends the amount of hours a store stays open
Pay Sahara 3000 Bells and she’ll help you out with wallpaper and carpet decorations
Use QR codes to bring in items made in My Design PRO

Other stuff that was revealed in Famitsu last week

Most of that was discussed/revealed in the last regular Nintendo Direct.

But they'll announce eating ice cream? I think if it was in there, they'd have talked about it, considering the level of inanity we're seeing in these lists lately.

It's not like it was a bullet point under a heading or anything - just a screenshot in a magazine. It wasn't even part of the caption, iirc.

VICI0US

Can't wait, portable AC is best AC.

One of the few games i'll be going DD style with. Having it installed there on the system is just too convenient.

Okay well that is just ridiculous. Such a thing would be feasible on the friggin N64, there is nothing technically infeasible about bundling a set of attributes with each character, and branching dialog and reactions based upon how those attributes change over time.

If you're talking about dynamic changes in personality and dialogue, then that probably can't be done, and I was referring to that specifically. I definitely think that a shit-ton more dialogue and character-specific episodes can be put in. Perhaps a dynamic AI can be included. Maybe it can, maybe it can't. But I haven't seen any other game similar to AC that's succeeded at doing so yet. I'm going to assume that, in addition to not giving a fuck, the AC developers have had difficulty improving the AI system and dialogue trees for technical reasons. Maybe it just comes down to memory on the cartridge, lol.

We aren't getting it because they just don't want to do it, not because they can't. So I think it's pretty fair to be disappointed. I really expected Animal Crossing to be a series that expanded in a ton of cool ways, particularly as it showed up on increasingly networked devices, but I've just been astonished by how utterly stagnant it's remained, and how the vast majority of the enhancements to the structure have been of the "collect and decorate" type, and nothing more.

Once again: there is a genuine challenge involved in creating a dynamic dialogue generation system, let alone super-complex AI that can develop relationships naturally and in a meaningful way. The main process through which the same results could be achieved is by hiring a lot of dialogue writers to think of many different situations. That would take a lot of time to develop, and AC is a franchise that works off of gradual upgrades. And while I too loathe the collect-a-thon focus that the developers have given these games, it's not that easy to sway to the other extreme. Not yet, at least.

I definitely appreciate the "feel" of an Animal Crossing game, the glacial pace, the casual doin of whatever, the relaxing music. The sense of just "being in a place." But I think an emphasis on your interactions within the community, and enhancements in that area, would serve to deepen that feel more than just being able to physically customize the game areas more.

No no, I agree with you. Animal Crossing should be lively, amiable, and prone to fits of character development and genuine interest in your neighbors, town, and online friends. The North America GC version of the original game really nailed the kind of vivacious atmosphere I want in my AC game. There are arguable reasons for why Nintendo hasn't been able to expand the AI past the original game's capabilities. They haven't put enough time into improvement, and it's going to a big challenge no matter what. I'm more mad at the developers for not trying at all, to be quite frank. Simply adding in more advanced and proactive animal AI—allowing the neighbors to do something more than dilly-dally outside of their homes—would do a lot to improve the current Animal Crossing paradigm.

I'm beginning to believe they think their Japanese customers will appeal to banal additions more than meaty addendum. Fitting, since they're too busy to really dig into these kinds of games for more than hour at best.

Really, at this point, I just want to know more about swimming. What happens when you dive underwater? That happened in the first damn trailer. Do you go somewhere?
lol, Who knows. Underwater, looking for shells, and maybe out to the islands.

Top Bottom