• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Beyond Good & Evil in Pre-Production

silva1991

Man the concepts are the complete wrong direction for this game. Why are they trying to force this game into a realistic look? It should have been given the same budget as their UbiArt games.

You know, the more i look at the art the more I think it's not Nintendo funded. If Nintendo totally funded this game I see no reason for the devs to change teh art like that.

My guess that Ubi only greenlit the game with the condition to change the artstyle to be more realistic, because that's how it will sell.

You know, the more i look at the art the more I think it's not Nintendo funded. If Nintendo totally funded this game I see no reason for the devs to change teh art like that.

My guess that Ubi only greenlit the game with the condition to change the artstyle to be more realistic, because that's how it will sell.

Wasn't the original 2008 tease also fairly realistic?

5rCgN9C.jpg

Not to mention the key art for the first game.

NKqGIbJ.jpg

Maybe this is just Ancel overcoming the limitations of old hardware, and making what he always thought the game needed to look like.

rackham

Banned
Pre production is basically planning to make the game right? I recall them planning to make this game, "Officially" for near a decade now.

Edit: wouldn't mind a first person type game like mirrors edge

silva1991

Wasn't the original 2008 tease also fairly realistic?

5rCgN9C.jpg

Not to mention the key art for the first game.

NKqGIbJ.jpg

Maybe this is just Ancel overcoming the limitations of old hardware, and making what he always thought the game needed to look like.

I don't know, the new artstyle looks drastically more realistic to me

Michel-Ancel-Art_10-04-16_001-280x350.jpg

maybe because they are more detailed now.

Jobbs

Banned
The artwork shown so far is absolutely hideous IMO. :eek:

I'm willing to take the wait and see, though. The verrry long wait and see.

not fucking with that "realistic" concept art at all. hopefully it's not indicative of the final game.

also whew, finally. though technically wasn't that trailer years ago an announcement of it being in pre-production :/

This game is NX exclusive right?
Seems a long way off if its only in pre-production, and I recall rumours saying its NX launch title.

Elios83

Pre-production....that means 3-4 years before the game is out :/
Ancel is also busy with Wild and that won't speed up things.

OléGunner;219111806 said:
This game is NX exclusive right?
Seems a long way off if its only in pre-production, and I recall rumours saying its NX launch title.

It was just a rumor already proven wrong in different parts.

I'm a huge fan of the first games.... and was excited as hell for this when it was announced 8 years ago.

Now.... almost lost all interest and faith.

Reboot the game now, don't make it a sequel.

I really hope it's multiplatform, and more colourful than that art indicates. The 'realism' I can live with, but we're well past the need for the shitty grey-brown, washed, dreary colour pallets that were the bane of 7th gen.

Although I guess I'd settle for just getting released at all at this point.

I'll believe it when we get a new trailer.

Realistic is not the right word for this. I think it's simply more detailed but the style is definitely still there.

E-phonk

Banned
We are hearing about hybrid thing for, years?
Before the eurogamer leak most people, myself included, dismissed the hybrid stories as iwata contradicted it when he talked about the nx. Most were expecting multiple form factors of the same architecture.

UrbanRats

I'll wait to see the game in a more advanced stage, and especially in context, before crying about too much realism in the design.
I don't think the original design was anything too special, so i'm curious to see how they push it somewhere else.

Considering the BG&E2 being Nintendo exclusive rumor popped up in March its possible that that was when they finally secured a deal and funding to go forth with the game. It barely being in pre-production would make sense if that were the case as I'd assume there would still be some legal processes to go through and what not before they finally got the money.

Shiggy

Considering the BG&E2 being Nintendo exclusive rumor popped up in March its possible that that was when they finally secured a deal and funding to go forth with the game. It barely being in pre-production would make sense if that were the case as I'd assume there would still be some legal processes to go through and what not before they finally got the money.

Nintendo funding the game would mean that they would also announce it. They are very strict if you look at other Nintendo-funded games. Ubisoft employees couldn't just post pre-production art in that case.

sphinx

the piano man
Nintendo funding the game would mean that they would also announce it. They are very strict if you look at other Nintendo-funded games. Ubisoft employees couldn't just post pre-production art in that case.

this has been repeated several times and people choose to ignore it.

it just can not be a nintendo exclusive like bayonetta 2, it's just not, the reason is the quoted text here.

at best it's a multiplat, and considering Ubi's good will towards nintendo home consoles, I'd think they'd do it.

Boo to pre-production only and the more realistic art style.

Yay for it actually being made.

I hope the art style isn't too realistic though. Everything is these days. Cartoony can be succesful, look at Overwatch.

Lutherian

I came.

Ok so, we live in a universe where Duke Nukem Forever, The Last Guardian, ShenMue 3, FF7 Remake, REMake2, BG&E 2, Shadow of The Beast reboot and Putty Squad sequel exists / are confirmed, why on Earth no one care about making a new Turrican ? ^^

KORNdoggy

I don't know, the new artstyle looks drastically more realistic to me

Michel-Ancel-Art_10-04-16_001-280x350.jpg

maybe because they are more detailed now.

it's not just that. it's the more humanoid approach to design elements. they have human-like hands and feet, more human-like proportions. look at the rhino/shark from the first game or pey'j. proportionally way more stylised and they have the "hands" and "feet" you would expect them to have. pey'j has hooves. rhino has footpads and nails. it all adds to the charm of the characters and designs. instead they've taken what is essentially a buff/overweight human and stuck an animal head on top.

"gritty reboot" is what i've looking at here. like it's some desperate attempt to make it appealing to a wider audience. i just hope it's as some have said and it is just production art and it isn't indicative of the direction they're heading.

It's not like the last attempt ever really left pre-production. When the first trailers of gameplay are out I will cheer, not before (also with the threat of the possible hostile takeover and cancellation of the project in mind).

basefree

Isn't this just a glorified "it still exists" announcement? This game has pretty much been in "pre-production" for years! Kinda disappointing, tbh. But glad it hasn't been outright cancelled.

Haunted

Love the art style shown in the new concept art. Ubi is always better off just letting Ancel do what he wants.

Top Bottom