• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Beyond Good & Evil in Pre-Production

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
For Honor is like, an incredibly safe bet.
Is it really? A multiple difficult twin stick controlled melee PvP focused game? In the era of hero shooters, open world games, and story focused titles taking up a lot of the triple A space?

sabu.png
If you've listened to the creative director during any interview, he talks about how much of a passion project it's been for him, he's been trying to get it greenlit for 12 years and finally was able to thanks to the technology leap of this gen. Steep is also a passion project as the studio behind that game is incredibly close to the French Alps.

I'm not assuming that at all. That was my entire point.

My bad, I didn't read the back-coversation of quoted posts. I know that when other posters do this to me I find it really frustrating, so I'm sorry!

Beyond Good and Evil is one of those games I always seem to get almost to the end of and then forget about, and then I end up forgetting to back up the save when I do an OS reinstall.

Schryver

Awesome, but why in the world would they admit this already. Should have been a surprise reveal when it's finally ready to show off

EBE

Nah, it's a great game. I played it for the first time a few years back.

I mean, for as much as it was compared to something like the legend of zelda series, it never had great combat or interesting exploration. The lead is remembered as a strong female character but there isn't much to her at all.

My bad, I didn't read the back-coversation of quoted posts. I know that when other posters do this to me I find it really frustrating, so I'm sorry!

Nah man, it's all good. :)

I mean, for as much as it was compared to something like the legend of zelda series, it never had great combat or interesting exploration. The lead is remembered as a strong female character but there isn't much to her at all.

Sure, it's not as good as most Zelda games, but it's still pretty damn solid!

Sesha

So now that even BGE(2) is happening, when do you think we are gonna see Banjo Threeie, Battletoads 2, Warcraft 4, Legacy of Kain 6, Red Dead 3 and HL3?

AAK

I'm guessing this is being shown to the public to gauge whether or not the market responds strongly enough to warrant full production beyond the concept phase.

The comparisons to Zelda have never made ANY sense to me.

To me, it's like a more realistic Rayman 2 (which makes sense given the pedigree), except with stealth instead of platforming.

If you've listened to the creative director during any interview, he talks about how much of a passion project it's been for him, he's been trying to get it greenlit for 12 years and finally was able to thanks to the technology leap of this gen. Steep is also a passion project as the studio behind that game is incredibly close to the French Alps.

I know you love Ubisoft but let's not act as if For Honor is comparable to BG&E2.

Empty

if production goes well and this releases in 2019, that would be a sixteen year gap between the first game and its sequel.

you know, the time gap between metroid nes and metroid prime.

kinda mad for such a story based game

No chance.

Ancel is working on Sony with Wild with his own studio Wild Sheep.

Ancel is also still at ubisoft montpellier.

He is basically moving between both working on 2 games.

BGE is a Ubisoft property, so unless one of these parties (Nintendo, Sony, MS) made a significant contribution in funds to ubisoft to mitigate financial risk on ubisofts part, there is no way this is an exclusive to one platform.

Ah I didn't know Wild was from his own studio. So weird! He can work with two studios at the same time??

EBE

Sure, it's not as good as most Zelda games, but it's still pretty damn solid!
I could agree with solid. There is some interesting stuff to the world design. Just seems strange to me that this has probably been up there with the likes of shenmue 3 and the last guardian as people's most wanted game they thought would never happen

Not discounting a sequel though. Could be good

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
I know you love Ubisoft but let's not act as if For Honor is comparable to BG&E2.
I mean it's not, but the notion that Ubisoft doesn't fund giant passion projects, (ofc, this is assuming that AC games aren't passion projects when in actuality, they absolutely are for devs at the studio, especially the bigger more ambitious ones), is an odd one. Alex Hutchinson is also working on a new IP as a passion project for the studio after his work on AC4. Part of the charm of the studio is that they actually fund big passion projects.

Fantastapotamus

Wrong about commas, wrong about everything
Take THAT Vivendi!

I have no idea what that means

As long as Ancel is involved I have high hopes. If Ubi made that game without him I wouldn't expect anything

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
Funny, it was just under 5 years when I spoke to someone at the studio I know and asked about it and he was all like "eh that's probably something we wouldn't be able to get to till 5 more years or so" - pretty funny that that seems be true (haven't asked around about bg&e in a long time)

sector4

qeA0jZAlsCHAI.gif

TSM

Beyond Good & Evil was one of the best games of the PS2/GC/Xbox gen, in terms of both gameplay and story.

Wow. I loved my time with the game, but the best the gameplay could be described as is serviceable. A great experience yes, but describing it as one of the best playing games of the PS2 era is just insane.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
Wouldn't the correct title be "A game done by Michel Ancel at Ubisoft is in pre-production"?

There's nowhere confirmed to be a new BG&E. Could as well be Beyond Good & Rabbids.

Guymelef

Pre-production...

You know Now that FF "Versus" and The Last Guardian are launching this year...
Hail to the new 10 years project.

2008:
18s494hv6vj7ljpg.jpg

Game will be out 2018 at the earliest...

The game stopped development in 2009 and hadn't been in development since then. I really do wonder what am those comments about a small team working on it really mean.

Zapages

I think this is like the third or fourth time the game has entered production... Hopefully this time the production completes and the game gets released.

Akhe

Man, if NX rumor turn out to be true, oh boy, gaf will implode. I can see people becoming like William Foster, walking down the streets with a baseball bat foaming at the mouth of rage.

Man, if NX rumor turn out to be true, oh boy, gaf will implode. I can see people people becoming like William Foster, walking down the streets with a baseball bat foaming at the mouth of rage.

You mean the whole "i only dislike timed or non timed exclusives if it's not for a system I have a obnoxious preference for" act ?

I know what you mean. I read some embarassing shit over Bayonetta 2.

Byvar

Hmm, this is great and I love BG&E, but I think I would have preferred not hearing about this until they actually had something significant to show. Not "hooray, it's finally in pre-production!", though it's cute to see Ancel act that way even when this has happened before.

Also, I guess this means we may not even see it this gen. :(

The comparisons to Zelda have never made ANY sense to me.

To me, it's like a more realistic Rayman 2 (which makes sense given the pedigree), except with stealth instead of platforming.
It's super Zelda-y. There's a section that I remember feeling lifted from OoT. I think the vulvagia fight

I would not put too much hype behind this until we have a good 20 minute demo

If Ubisoft kept shelving this project and Ancel still has Wild to work on don't expect to see it

As far as pre-production means the Nintendo funded rumor is false I would like to point out you can make a deal and still have delays

Nintendo lost Iwata who tends to be the face behind partnership deals

Not saying the Nintendo funded rumor is true just pointing out pre-production does not make it false

I don't trust Ubisoft not to port exclusives any way

Top Bottom