• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Chloe screenshot (Uncharted: The Lost Legacy)

They have to tune down that sharpening. It is über intense!
sharp38xy6.png

Otherwise, looking great.
The sharpening in the actual game was very strong as well, it left some really weird artifacts due to the AA.

Same

They made her look a lot less ethnically ambiguous too. Love it

So it's not just me.

They really did make her look more Indian.

Her other renders in the previous games definitely made her seem more "tan white person" than Indian, but I can definitely see it here.

Yep yep. I think they did a good job with it too, because you can definitely sort of tell her more Indian heritage.

Frostman

Really looking forward to this. Big fan of Chloe and Nadine, so I'm looking forward to them having their spotlight.

Also excited that it's getting a physical release, now I'm waiting for a date!

Staf

Only played Uncharted 3 in the series, not too keen on the protagonist. Might give this a try, it's standalone right?

Rated-G

It sure feels like it.

Considering her nationality was never explicitly stated in the games before now, how is this a retcon? For fans that term seems to have such a negative connotation, but I don't see anything wrong with being able to return to a character and flesh them out, fill in some blanks. Wouldn't a retcon have been if they had said she was specifically something else, another race, another religion, and then this new information comes out and contradicts that?

In some of the videos accompanying the Ballistic art book for Uncharted 2, some of the Dogs had talked about Choe being anything BUT white in development. They had toyed with Native American, and African before settling on something West Asian. Given the look of her since 2, I assumed she was possibly of Indian descent, maybe living in England or Australia. I had assumed she might be Sri Lankan. Even before reading about the thought process and ideation of her design for Uncharted 2, I never got the impression she was supposed to be white.

WITHE1982

Completly forgot I bought the season pass for uncharted 4 until checking my purchase history this morning.

Now seeing these screens has me chomping at the bit. This has all the makings of being one of the best DLC/expansions ever made.

Love Chloe as a character and eager to get more back story as well. Nadine was also the the best new character in uncharted 4 so the fact she's included is a massive bonus.

Kin5290

Wouldn't that just go against the entire theme of UC4 and ruin Elena's character as well?
The point of the character conflict in UC4 was that Elena also missed the sense of adventure she got from exploring lost mysteries (and plowing through armies of mercenaries to do that).

They just found a safer, more legal way to do that in the epilogue.

This is definitely a major change (pretty sure she was just a dark haired British lady before). I've got no problem with it and ND having a non-white main character in their game is cool as hell.

This is definitely a major change (pretty sure she was just a dark haired British lady before). I've got no problem with it and ND having a non-white main character in their game is cool as hell.
She's an Australian citizen. But as I already mentioned in this thread, the designer in UC3 specifically said she had "dark, olive skin"

Funny enough it's not present in the last of us 2 trailer.

vlcsnap-2017-02-23-23fysru.png

Are they using a different engine or something? Maybe a different iteration?

While TLL will have enhancements, I believe they said that TLoUP2 will be the game that's using all their new tech. Like I don't know if TLL for example is using whatever facial animation tech they've started using for P2. Because it's much more advanced than what they've used in past games.

Considering her nationality was never explicitly stated in the games before now, how is this a retcon? For fans that term seems to have such a negative connotation, but I don't see anything wrong with being able to return to a character and flesh them out, fill in some blanks. Wouldn't a retcon have been if they had said she was specifically something else, another race, another religion, and then this new information comes out and contradicts that?

In some of the videos accompanying the Ballistic art book for Uncharted 2, some of the Dogs had talked about Choe being anything BUT white in development. They had toyed with Native American, and African before settling on something West Asian. Given the look of her since 2, I assumed she was possibly of Indian descent, maybe living in England or Australia. I had assumed she might be Sri Lankan. Even before reading about the thought process and ideation of her design for Uncharted 2, I never got the impression she was supposed to be white.

I never definitively said it was a retcon, just that it feels like one. The thing that jumped out to me immediately when seeing that screenshot is that Chloe actually looks noticeably Indian now. I can't say I thought the same back when I was playing Uncharted 2 and 3 (I just assumed she was Australian or a New Zealander based on the voice actress). I mean, it's cool that she's half-Indian and everything, I don't have an issue with that, I just wish her ethnicity was established in a less jarring manner. Instead it feels like something that was decided between Uncharted 3 and 4.

But eh, whatever. Her design practically got an overhaul from 2 to 3 (I always thought she looked really weird in 2, especially the glazy eyes), and now it looks like it's been altered again for TLL. It's not a big deal.

Funny enough it's not present in the last of us 2 trailer.

vlcsnap-2017-02-23-23fysru.png

Are they using a different engine or something? Maybe a different iteration?

Yes they are. Naughty Dog confirmed they are using new engine for TLOU2 and I bet they are targetting PS4 PRO as lead like Death Stranding which look stellar.

Top Bottom