• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Deus Ex: Mankind Divided gameplay footage (showing new gameplay mechanics)

Ivory Samoan

Gold Member
The new hacking strikes me as an unfortunately lazy and less interesting solution to HR's hacking crutch. Being able to hack cameras on the fly hurts the metagame of trying to find and access security terminals.

It's looking good and I'm excited, but I hope this doesn't walk the path of so many sequels where solving its predecessor's problems boils down to making game systems overly accessible, with an abundance of trinkets, gear, and powers to solve all your problems. The Oblivion/Skyrim problem, basically, where it doesn't matter what your build is because your build will include some tool to easily solve every problem.

It still includes a more complex version of the original hacking mini-game, but the camera one seems a bit simple for sure.

I guess it's to take less time/hack on the fly....keep the action flowing.

Trago

Yeesh, some of those new additions could make the game too easy. The new cover system makes sense though.

Karak

Really not feeling any of this. More interested in less PR-like websites getting ahold of it and what they have to say.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
It still includes a more complex version of the original hacking mini-game, but the camera one seems a bit simple for sure.

I guess it's to take less time/hack on the fly....keep the action flowing.

Yeah, I'm glad the hacking gameplay is back, but "less time on the fly" just isn't Deus Ex to me. Stuff that makes experimentation faster and more accessible says to me that they're doubling down on the moment-to-moment play rather than the broader intricacies of level design and navigation. HR had problems where certain augs/skills were so essential and overpowered you'd be a fool not to pursue them, like computer hacking. But the solution to these problems isn't to bring that simplicity to the moment-to-moment gameplay, it's to broaden your options via the level design and aug specifications so players are forced to adapt to their build's strengths and weaknesses.

I dunno. I'm being cynical based on not very much for a game that's still months away, that does look good and a sequel to one of my most surprising games of last generation. But I loathe the approach of "well let's make the moment-to-moment gameplay more fun!!!" in games like this, even if it results in a great game by its own merits, as it undermines the identity of the series in favour of simpler, accessible, toybox play which is not what something like Deus Ex has ever been about.

Fingers crossed. Sounds like I'll enjoy it one way another. I just hope I'll enjoy it as an excellent Deus Ex game, and not an excellent cyberpunk Dishonored.

Roussow

Absolutely love the new energy system, it an simple solution, but it's probably going to keep me more active.

Galileo

Neo Member
I hope the "blink" ability is one of those that lowers your energy level permanently (well, until you recharge it with a consumable item) so that we won't be able to spam it like in Dishonored

Trago

GT's preview was sweet. Definitely taking a stealth focused approach to this game. Unless they've confirmed otherwise, no forced shooting segments please.

Nzyme32

All good, but not a fan of the cover system. I'd like a bit more control rather than forced running between cover akin to Gears of War. I suppose I could just get out of cover and run normally or something assuming they let you duck

Solid Raiden

Neo Member
I am so hyped for this. I hope it's as good as Human Revolution. That game was about as good a successor to Deus Ex as I could hope for (minus the boss fights). What with game philosophies these days. It easily could have been made a COD clone in the wrong hands.

JudgeN

Why does this game look like a cover shooter now? Everytime I see this he's shooting shit instead of sneaking and punching break dancing douche bags.

WITHE1982

Can't wait for this. HR was my GOTY back in 2011.

They really need to remove that garish outline around the robots. I see no reason at all to have it on TBH.

Otherwise looking pretty sharp. Adam is suitably HD and gruff as ever. Can't wait to not ask for things again.

Why does this game look like a cover shooter now? Everytime I see this he's shooting shit instead of sneaking and punching break dancing douche bags.

I agree somewhat. The shooting was by far the worst part of the last game. I just wanna see some awesome take-down animations.

Akronis

Yeah, I'm glad the hacking gameplay is back, but "less time on the fly" just isn't Deus Ex to me. Stuff that makes experimentation faster and more accessible says to me that they're doubling down on the moment-to-moment play rather than the broader intricacies of level design and navigation. HR had problems where certain augs/skills were so essential and overpowered you'd be a fool not to pursue them, like computer hacking. But the solution to these problems isn't to bring that simplicity to the moment-to-moment gameplay, it's to broaden your options via the level design and aug specifications so players are forced to adapt to their build's strengths and weaknesses.

I dunno. I'm being cynical based on not very much for a game that's still months away, that does look good and a sequel to one of my most surprising games of last generation. But I loathe the approach of "well let's make the moment-to-moment gameplay more fun!!!" in games like this, even if it results in a great game by its own merits, as it undermines the identity of the series in favour of simpler, accessible, toybox play which is not what something like Deus Ex has ever been about.

Fingers crossed. Sounds like I'll enjoy it one way another. I just hope I'll enjoy it as an excellent Deus Ex game, and not an excellent cyberpunk Dishonored.

Very much agreed. Games pursue those with small attention spans these days and a lot of games suffer because of it.

Jb

The UI is a little intrusive for my taste, but I'm glad to hear the level design seems much more interesting and organic in this one. It really was HR's biggest flaw for me.

Very much agreed. Games pursue those with small attention spans these days and a lot of games suffer because of it.
Love how "let's make the gameplay part actually fun" is a negative now

Like the combat, it's actually decent now. like that's a valid fun choice, in a game about choice. Cuz in the last game combat was so ass everybody went stealth then complained about the bosses. Now I'm more likely to experiment

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Love how "let's make the gameplay part actually fun" is a negative now

Like the combat, it's actually decent now. like that's a valid fun choice, in a game about choice. Cuz in the last game combat was so ass everybody went stealth then complained about the bosses. Now I'm more likely to experiment

This is massively disingenuous to the point being made, which has never been "don't make the game or combat fun". Obviously the combat should be much more fun. And stealth shouldn't be so goddamn broken across the board (especially XP gains).

Kolx

This is really shaping up to be the best Deus Ex. At least when it comes to gameplay, and ost being epic is already guaranteed :)

The game will probably end up being too easy. With especially the endgame being a cakewalk.

This is the really the biggest problem I have with modern gaming:

Too easy, no belief in player resilience in overcoming obstacles, guiding the player by the hand.

For me, games like this should be rock hard because the tension that creates during the gameplay is paramount to my enjoyment.

Seems like youve made your mind up about this specific title, lol.

But yeah I kinda agree with you. Thing is, the mass audience might not want to play a game like dark souls all the time. Streamlining stuff for a wider audience is a good thing as long as there is a difficulty slider.

Love it when unexpected previews drop, especially for a game like Deus Ex.
HR was surprisingly good IMO. I'm very much looking forward to the next installment and agree with those who've point out the seemingly improved environmental diversity. Do we know where all this game is set to take place. I see Dubai mentioned, perhaps Germany as well?

EatChildren

Is this due February?

d00d3n

So, the Icarus dash energy management appeared to work like in Dishonored, with a small difference: The first use lowers current total energy a tiny bit (unlike in Dishonored). Subsequent uses lower total energy only if you spam before recharge or use together with other abilities (like in Dishonored).

I am basing this on the dash showed in the video. Current total energy is slightly below the maximum value before the dash. The dash builds up a potential energy loss showed as a red bar in the area between current total energy and maximum energy. The red bar from the dash is not large enough to lead to further lowering of current total energy, and it steadily decreases in size until it disappears (allowing you to perform a new dash for "free" at this point).

So if you are dashing through the game, current total energy will always be slightly depleted, while you could easily stay at 100% all the time in Dishonored. It will feel horrible to not be "maxed out" I guess ... Maintaining maximum energy and health is a matter of pride in these type of games!

This is massively disingenuous to the point being made, which has never been "don't make the game or combat fun". Obviously the combat should be much more fun. And stealth shouldn't be so goddamn broken across the board (especially XP gains).

I just feel like I read this before, pretty much every time a dev decides to move away from its slow, restrictive, clumsy, half-ass action/rpg thing. Mass Effect 1 to 2/3, Dark Souls to Bloodborne, System Shock to the Bioshocks.

EatChildren

February 23th apparently. Playing this and Mirror's Edge at the same time will be tough.

Cheers.

I just feel like I read this before, pretty much every time a dev decides to move away from its slow, restrictive, clumsy, half-ass action/rpg thing. Mass Effect 1 to 2/3, Dark Souls to Bloodborne, System Shock to the Bioshocks.

Sure, but if change makes for a different style of game, if subjectively more enjoyable for some, then surely we can appreciate why others were attracted to the original idea. Making game systems safe, accessible solutions to problems isn't the only path game design can take.

Sure, but if change makes for a different style of game, if subjectively more enjoyable for some, then surely we can appreciate why others were attracted to the original idea. Making game systems safe, accessible solutions to problems isn't the only path game design can take.

sucks to be you, I guess

I'm selfish, so whew cyberpunk dishonored

I've never played a Deus Ex game (don't hurt me).

Is it just a 3rd person shooter/action game or does it have RPG elements to it as well?

Hystzen

I need this game ughhh going on full blackout I'm ready by for Give Me Deus Ex difficulty with no HUD.

DerZuhälter;181058236 said:
I don't like how this game looks.
Something is just off about it. It looks old and outdated, but not in terms of textures or effects (even though these car explosion looked quite disappointing). I can't put my finger on it. Maybe it's animation and character models. But I'm not sure.

To be honest HR was ugly and dated what make it great is the art design which stopped it from being so offensive on the eyes. It showed that a great thought out art design and style is good way cover up ugly graphics on a budget.

Z

ZombieFred

Unconfirmed Member
I hope they stay tight lipped on most of the story elements for this chapter. I want to see whether the events of the Statue of Liberty will occur and see Page/Simmons in the game!

Replicant

Wait, you can play this in 3rd person view now? Jensen don't usually move in 3rd person when walking around in HR (except when climbing) but now you seem able to do this.

Top Bottom