• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Deus Ex: Mankind Divided gameplay footage (showing new gameplay mechanics)

BlackRock

Lets also not forget it's a next-gen/current-gen only game too, everything just looks so bad... the rain, the animations, lighting etc. nothing screams "NEXT-GEN BABY".

Now i know graphics is not everything but seriously for a game that comes out early 2016 this is inexcusable.

I thought HR was an ok game but i always, always hated the graphics in this game.

Fair enough. You think the engine and graphics suck. I happen to think it looks perfectly fine, and is an undeniable improvement from HR. Some of the HUD and UI I'm not liking, but chances are we'll be able to turn many of them off like in HR. We'll have to agree to disagree, I guess.

The Deus Ex games have never had cutting edge graphics, but they've tended to look fine anyway. The art direction in HR especially was out of this world. I can't wait to experience more of that, and I think many others here feel similarly.

I also liked the yellowpiss filter in Human Revolution!

I actually liked it too. I prefer the original graphics to the DC version. Never understood the hate the yellow filter got.

usp84

Looks great!This game is my priority between Far Cry Primal and Mirror's Edge so i hope it turns out good

I also liked the yellowpiss filter in Human Revolution!

Chairman Yang

if he talks about books, you better damn well listen
The new energy system seems brilliant, and a massive improvement on HR's (and obviously DX1's). It incentivizes using some abilities, and makes the player make risk/reward decisions for others. Presumably the permanent energy loss (until items used) for some abilities will make it worthwhile to stick with those abilities for a while, rather than switching willy-nilly. Seems like an excellent mix of flexibility and pushing the player to use what they have.

I hope the main hacking game is improved. It wasn't bad initially in DXHR, but it was overused and wore out its welcome about 1/3 through the game.

Super-excited about this game. I'm getting the same good vibes for this that I did for DXHR, back when most people were understandably skeptical.

The game looks good and it definitely looks next gen, guys. It's just rocking a god awful sharpening filter.

What kind of metric are people using to determine what looks next gen anyway? I remember when GAF had me rolling my eyes with their collective suggestion that AC4 was a real next gen looker, but somehow this doesn't make the cut. Thing is, these consoles aren't beasts, what you're looking at is what next gen generally looks like without the full weight of first party pub money or insane engines designed in house to be licenced out behind it.

Gurish

Previews sounds very excited, I can't wait for this, loved HR, visuals are very much improved over HR but they are not too impressive compared to the top current gen stuff, like how HR was in a way, so it's not too surprising.

Never mind, they are more than serviceable, though that rain better be a placeholder.

This video makes me really not want the game anymore.... I'm so confused. It looked kind of lame here?

Maybe it was because they were almost only using action and shootey methods.... I dunno.

Looked kind of weak overall IMO. Reminds me too much of Human Revolution overall, same cover and whatnot.... not a good thing for me. I'll just stick to MGSV I guess, even with all its problems, I don't see enough improvement over Human Revolution here. Looks like the same game almost just with sharper graphics.

great new vids, the new cover system looks good... I did appreciate DX HR's cover system in a way because it was accurate and tactical, if not obtuse. MGS V and especially cover in urban areas (e.g. FOBs) makes me miss the hard 90 corners and accurate (you're locked into cover, and you know you're hidden) cover of DX HR (or even more accurate cover of MGS1).

that said, it makes the new HUD awfully messy.... the HUD in general is a clutter, hope we can minimize or custom-size a lot of hid, turn off (or make transparent) more parts of it, etc.

energy system changes sound great, a lot more of a trade off and tactical management system.

weapon models look sick but the firing feedback for that sniper rifle was pretty bad.

Gurish

This video makes me really not want the game anymore.... I'm so confused. It looked kind of lame here?

Maybe it was because they were almost only using action and shootey methods.... I dunno.

Looked kind of weak overall IMO. Reminds me too much of Human Revolution overall, same cover and whatnot.... not a good thing for me. I'll just stick to MGSV I guess, even with all its problems, I don't see enough improvement over Human Revolution here. Looks like the same game almost just with sharper graphics.

And what's wrong with that? HR was awesome, it's not like we have so many games like this today, even if it's mostly the same it's still one of the more unique AAA in the market.

BlackRock

Especially since they replaced some of the sneaking moves with blitzkrieging gears of war/mass effect 3 cover sprints. What?

HR was also heavily marketed pre-release as a shooter and played up the action. There was still an extensive stealth game included - in my view a superior game to playing as a shooter. There's no reason to suspect this is any different. They have said the entire game is 100% ghostable, including any bosses. Let's not determine before the game is even out that they ruined it.

Moronwind

Banned
One of the things that really need to change is the way experience is handed out.
Human Revolution's way of rewarding you for every little piece of interaction inevitably ends up with you going around obsessively hacking every computer, every keypad, knocking out every enemy. It's dumb, it's distracting and it's immersion breaking.
The original Deus Ex had it figured out, just give the player a large sum of XP for progressing past a certain point in the story. The only reason you'd ever want to hack a computer in that game is if you're interested in it's contents, and that's the way it should be.

A-V-B

HR was also heavily marketed pre-release as a shooter and played up the action. There was still an extensive stealth game included - in my view a superior game to playing as a shooter. There's no reason to suspect this is any different. They have said the entire game is 100% ghostable, including any bosses. Let's not determine before the game is even out that they ruined it.

It just looks kinda boring and unoriginal the more they show it off. Taking steps backwards from HR.

But Invisible War did the same thing, de-evolving from the original, so maybe it's the Even Numbered Curse of Deus Ex.

I hope you're right and it's just the marketing videos.

Nuke Soda

As long as Nixxes stays away from the PC version I'm in day one. Game looks amazing.

Silly, it will be made by 343 Industries and released as part of the Deus Ex Legacy pack and they promise it will be better than the Master Chief Collection, they crossed their fingers and everything. Robomodo is overseeing the physics of the game.

BlackRock

One of the things that really need to change is the way experience is handed out.
Human Revolution's way of rewarding you for every little piece of interaction inevitably ends up with you going around obsessively hacking every computer, every keypad, knocking out every enemy. It's dumb, it's distracting and it's immersion breaking.
The original Deus Ex had it figured out, just give the player a large sum of XP for progressing past a certain point in the story. The only reason you'd ever want to hack a computer in that game is if you're interested in it's contents, and that's the way it should be.

I agree with this. They did go overboard with the amount of XP awarded for every little thing. We really didn't need XP for take downs, hacking, ghosting the level, etc. It did break the difficulty if you carefully acquired all the experience and were then unstoppable by mid-game. The original rewarded you XP for exploration, but not every little thing. Hopefully this will be fixed in MD. It's not the end of the world if they don't, but it would make for a stronger game. It's ok to let the gameplay be its own reward. Some of us like trying to ghost the level just because it's fun rather than some XP bonus.

poodaddy

This games looking better and better. Thank goodness they stopped that pre-order nonsense, I now am back on board for this game, especially with how great it seems to be turning out.

chrixter

The new energy system seems like a massive improvement. Splinter Cell's cover system and Dishonored's Blink are also welcome additions. I'm hyped beyond belief for this.

impact

Banned
Silly, it will be made by 343 Industries and released as part of the Deus Ex Legacy pack and they promise it will be better than the Master Chief Collection, they crossed their fingers and everything. Robomodo is overseeing the physics of the game.

I must be missing the joke.

Nixxes handled the PC version of Directors Cut and it was a mess. Black dots on faces, microstutters out the ass, game unable to hold a steady framerate at all (yet constant 60 in the non-DC) and laggy menus.

what lol. nixxes are god-tier pc port devs.

I really doubt that after playing HR DC, but ok.

I'm really looking forward to this game. I was pleasantly surprised by Deus Ex: Human Revolution on the Wii U having never played the series before. Mankind Divided is bound to be special.

rrs

Nixxes handled the PC version of Directors Cut and it was a mess. Black dots on faces, microstutters out the ass, game unable to hold a steady framerate at all (yet constant 60 in the non-DC) and laggy menus.

I hear director's cut was based off a prerelease version that reintroduced a bunch of bugs (and broke the yellow filter), non DC was great

I'm seriously hyped for this game. Something about Human Revolution just nailed it for me.... the combination of cyberpunk aesthetics, freedom of gameplay, a compelling story (including pretty great side missions) and great stealth mechanics really won me over... man aside from the (off-shored) boss battles that made me use guns (which I didn't want to do) HR was a great game.

TL;DR; I WANT MORE.

I've been jonesing to replay HR for a while now but I can wait until Feb. Love the direct comparison between this and last gen.

BlackRock

Nixxes also did the original HR port and it was solid work. I think the DC was patched up to snuff too (at least I don't recall horrible issues with it), but honestly I've stuck with the original version. In my opinion it's superior, the boss fights withstanding.

Aces&Eights

The game will probably end up being too easy. With especially the endgame being a cakewalk.

This is the really the biggest problem I have with modern gaming:

Too easy, no belief in player resilience in overcoming obstacles, guiding the player by the hand.

For me, games like this should be rock hard because the tension that creates during the gameplay is paramount to my enjoyment.

Totally agree. Best we can do is just go into the settings and turn off pretty much all HUD settings. At least then you have to think a little bit rather than just look for glowing bits and pieces.

Nixxes was not involved in the HR DC port. They ported the original version and Hitman: Absolution.

Vibranium

Banned
I wish there was a swim option and skill points again. I really, really want those back. Eidos should look to the original there.

The game looked OK once you removed the piss filter.

I think the filter makes the game look much better. Gives it it's own style and atmosphere. I liked what it was going for.

DeusExHumanRevolutionunmodded1590x331.jpg

6.jpg

I almost can't bear looking at the comparison pictures most of the time. Without the filter, the feel and soul of the game is just ripped out in my eyes. Just my opinion though.

rrs

I wish there was a swim options and skill points again. I really, really want those back.

the piraxis stuff was more or less skill points, and done in a way better way than dump points into making your busted OP 9mm even more OP (which DX:HR also had)

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
I think it looks good, just not crazy mind blowing technology that we're starting to see. Textures and models look fine, there's stuff like tessellation and parallax mapping, and scenes look densely populated with assets which is a good indicator of something beyond last generation. Lighting, much like Human Revolution, is probably the weakest aspect, but that's fine. The overall image is elevated by the art, which is gorgeous as usual.

Only glaring negative to me is the sharpening filter which is fucking gross.

Aces&Eights

I think it looks good, just not crazy mind blowing technology that we're starting to see. Textures and models look fine, there's stuff like tessellation and parallax mapping, and scenes look densely populated with assets which is a good indicator of something beyond last generation. Lighting, much like Human Revolution, is probably the weakest aspect, but that's fine. The overall image is elevated by the art, which is gorgeous as usual.

Only glaring negative to me is the sharpening filter which is fucking gross.

Well, the titan suit IS made out of pointy triangles...

What a weird decision.

The Sleeping Dogs Definitive Edition supposedly has framerate issues and bugs as well. And of course neither the original Human Revolution or non-Definitive Sleeping Dogs are available on Steam anymore, so you need to hunt down sites selling old CD keys or else play the buggy new versions if you didn't buy them earlier. Great.

I don't mind the yellow filter in the first game. The HUD looks dull in this one and hacking cameras sounds overpowered, though.

As for "why do they always show action," how often are stealth games marketed purely as stealth games? This trailer for Human Revolution came out only a 3 months before the game's release. It's like we have to go through this with every stealth game. Though to be fair, the early showings of Splinter Cell Blacklist really were terrible.

Vibranium

Banned
the piraxis stuff was more or less skill points, and done in a way better way than dump points into making your busted OP 9mm even more OP (which DX:HR also had)

I guess, maybe I just wish it was more expansive. I actually liked putting tons of points into categories in the original.

I also wish you could actually choke/knock guys out without pressing one button to do it for you. Not a big deal but I would like to see that in another game after Mankind Divided.

Nuke Soda

Couldn't have been too good of a joke to begin with. Basically I was saying that 343 Industries who made Halo: The Master Chief Collection and screwed that up horribly were porting this as a Deus Ex collection and that the makers of Tony Hawk Pro Skater 5 were handling the physics.

farisr

While I do think the visuals are starting to look a little better than the previous gameplay footage they had released around E3, there's some sort of visual disconnect happening. I don't know if it's the artstyle or what. I don't know how to describe it. Like it doesn't feel cohesive, or part of the same world. It almost feels like certain assets/building/items are taken from a game with a different artstyle and just dropped in without any changes. It's weird...

(this is only happening for me in certain situations, not throughout the whole thing, some parts seem just fine)

Top Bottom