• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Deus Ex: Mankind Divided gameplay footage (showing new gameplay mechanics)

rrs

I guess, maybe I just wish it was more expansive. I actually liked putting tons of points into categories in the original.

I also wish you could actually choke/knock guys out without pressing one button to do it for you. Not a big deal but I would like to see that in another game after Mankind Divided.

Do like how I can knockout foes without sapping batteries in MD, stealth is going to be so broke in this game I can't wait to become a god by end game again

Vibranium

Banned
Do like how I can knockout foes without sapping batteries in MD, stealth is going to be so broke in this game I can't wait to become a god by end game again

It is fun being a god at the endgame, I will say haha. If a prototype Dragon Tooth sword appeared in this game, I would go nuts.

Agremont

While I do think the visuals are starting to look a little better than the previous gameplay footage they had released around E3, there's some sort of visual disconnect happening. I don't know if it's the artstyle or what. I don't know how to describe it. Like it doesn't feel cohesive, or part of the same world. It almost feels like certain assets/building/items are taken from a game with a different artstyle and just dropped in without any changes. It's weird...

(this is only happening for me in certain situations, not throughout the whole thing, some parts seem just fine)

I agree. Something doesn't look rightand it's the style rather than the technology.

gabagool

Banned
Looking great and I'm glad to see there's a new energy system. Aside from the boss battles, the energy system was the worst part of HR.

I definitely need to pick up the definitive edition for the Wii U before I get this.

mrpeabody

I was reminded of another sequel – Bioshock 2’s improved access to Plasmids, which encouraged experimental play as opposed to the original’s restrictive swapping and changing.

I was reminded of another sequel -- Diablo 3's elimination of skill trees, which "encouraged experimentation" by making every character the same, as opposed to its predecessor's meaningful choices.

Managed to catch up on all the previews. Really excited. It's looking like a natural evolution with small refinements. I like the energy bar refinement. Prague is looking stunning. Can't wait to find out other areas you get to explore. Loved the hub areas in HR.

Hacking and Attacking Gameplay
old?

edit-this may have sold me on the game

Well fuck, that looks terrific. This has been a day 1 purchase for me ever since it was announced, but this is looking even cooler than I had originally anticipated.

Can someone explain/confirm how the revamped energy solution works? I watched a couple videos and skimmed through a few articles, and while I'm generally trying to avoid spoiling too much, from what I can tell your actions appear separated 'light' and 'heavy' energy usage levels. It looks like there are 'light' energy actions that only draw rechargeable energy (like going invisible or blink teleporting) along with 'heavy' energy actions that remove chunks of the entire energy pool that won't recharge (like the direct camera hack or the polygonal shield power). Is this correct, and has anything been said about how you replenish lost parts of the pool (ie. candy bars or other consumables like HR, or do you have to access some kind of static recharging station to balance things out)?

Kezen

Banned
But was very weak from memory. The console versions looked to have it done properly.

I don't remember it that way, the fact that AO was more subtle than on consoles is actually a very good thing, it looked gross on PS3/360 which a big black halo around Jensen in cover for example.

Definitely prefer the higher resolution HDAO, that's how it's supposed to be. Never understood the complain and the desire for a quater res AO.

What about the tesselation, with it on I couldn't tell any difference. ENB was great, with the right tweaks it can look quite pleasing. Glad there's no more piss filter, I was never a fan of it, but still bought the game day1 and was active in the GAF DX thread on its release at 12am ;). IT'S UNLOCKING, etc.

Was just about to post this; I loved the use of Eurostile all the way through DE:HR.

This new font (Gotham? It's overused and has no flavor) even has non-monospaced numbers, which can be really distracting when a number is changing rapidly.

And seeing things like the number of bullets in your gun moving around the screen and even rotating and warping into odd shapes is even more distracting than variable-width numbers.

They aced the UI with Human Revolution. Minor tweaks to that are all you need.

Not sure why they ditched Eurostyle (love that font). The one they're using here isn't Gotham though, at least not for the numbers for ammo and such, the proportions are off and the 3 and 8 are both completely different (the 8 looks really odd to me for some reason, it's closer to a vertical infinity symbol than a traditional 8).

In general though I'm not as bothered by their default font, but the mix of 3 or 4 different fonts on the hacking screen got me, with the wispy seriffed one standing out as bizarrely out of place within the context of everything else.

None of this is actually significant to me, though. And while DX:MD isn't best-in-class graphically from a technical standpoint (except for Jensen's hair, which looks terrific in the few videos I've seen), it's much, much better than HR was at the time of its release. It's visually good enough to not detract from the experience for me, and the art direction and futuristic designs appear to be a fantastic evolution of HR's aesthetic.

What about the tesselation, with it on I couldn't tell any difference. ENB was great, with the right tweaks it can look quite pleasing. Glad there's no more piss filter, I was never a fan of it, but still bought the game day1 and was active in the GAF DX thread on its release at 12am ;). IT'S UNLOCKING, etc.
I think tessellation was only used on the characters, and even then I believe it was only used on their faces (not clothes, and possibly not even hands?). I remember it smoothing it the occasional corner on a cheek or ear, but otherwise it wasn't a particularly prominent feature of the game.

Kezen

Banned

Tessellation was intended to be subtle, it definitely made a difference.

My god I just watched the Gametrailers Mega Preview.... I'm getting special vibes from this game. Vibes I haven't felt in a long time. Please live up.

Old
1428435040-deus-ex-mankind-divided-screen-3.jpg

New

Top Bottom