• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New disappointment discovered : No Man's Sky (CrowbCat)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I mean i enjoyed my time in NMS for what it was but this video man.... brutal truth. Just goes to show we need to be much more careful as consumers. :/

Can someone find that tweet with the Sony exec praising hello games for what was at the center of the galaxy? 😂😂

You know, I didn't expect anything from this game other than flying around different planets looking at stuff. I clicked on those spoiler tags, and just LOL. I don't think I need to play this game anymore.

213372bu

Banned
Where do I say anything resembling this? My initial post in this thread was directed at someone still claiming that nobody knew "what you do" in this game. The core gameplay loop was known, and it is what they said it would be. The features around that are absolutely questionable in terms of whether they delivered or not.

It's not questionable though.

Features shown in "live demos" and in Sean's own words have been ripped from the game. This is very clear cut, I hope.

Additionally, Sean's claims that you didn't need to constantly be gathering resources were intentionally obtuse.

Factions/trade outposts/ship classes/participating in war/scan to meet up with other players purposefully were used to make players think NMS was bigger than it was. Blatantly or by heavy insinuation.
--
Edit: People casually playing the game just hoping to explore without a constant need to mine Carbon/Plutonium, as Sean said, also are going to be disappointed.

StereoVsn

Great video and actually talks about the tough points. The video does illustrate all the BS Sean pulled. It worked for him too as the sales are very good.

Just shows that Dev lying before launch plus Hype machine will sell game copies. Now, whether or not it will work on their next game, who knows, will depend if they manage to patch shit up and then will depend on marketing.

Tecnniqe

Banned
Christ! lol

After watching that I got this come up in my recommended feed https://youtu.be/3Mz5YPkThOU

lTDlTcm.gif

Fury451

Banned
Well, reflecting on the whole video, it does seem like the people saying "The devs were misleading about aspects of the game" are right after all.

Don't you need resources for your life support systems i.e. just to walk around? I don't own the game btw, that's what I've seen in some streams.

Oh, yeah I think so. I guess you can't then.

Are you for real?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qO-6XpiLMlE

Well, reflecting on the whole video, it does seem like the people saying "The devs were misleading about aspects of the game" are right after all.

There will still people that will say people are making this up despite this though.

They may be right but it's a small team of only 15 people, they don't have the resources of AAA productions. What they accomplished is already impressive enough.

They may be right but it's a small team of only 15 people, they don't have the resources of AAA productions. What they accomplished is already impressive enough.

Price it accordingly then. I don't really care how many people made the game. I care about whether it's any good. Team size is irrelevant.

Gator86

Holy shit Brandon Jones' rant is amazing in hindsight.

Absolutely on point. The fact that 3 other dudes who are supposed to be journalists were just looking at him, dumbfounded, is why games press is so bad. They're just low-rent PR for the most part. The press should have been savaging Murray for all his overhyping and vague comments. Letting a dev get away with not revealing features of the game to "avoid spoilers" and shit like that is appalling.

Fury451

Banned

I don't disagree with you. This is a really interesting situation to watch though. How much was misinformation vs how much was our imaginations filling in the blanks with promises the developers never made, but may have vaguely alluded to either intentionally or not.

Shaanyboi

Banned
I really wanted this game to introduce an element that could actually interest me, but instead, it's coming off as precisely as uninvolved as I was feeling it was from day one. Yeah, the scale is cool and crazy. Doesn't seem like there's much of a point to it though. Going from one planet to another very similar planet, to another vaguely similar planet, to another vaguely similar planet doesn't get me all ecstatic...

There's no doubt that Sean Murray promised and underdelivered a lot in this game, he is certainly on record stating a lot of things that just aren't true. The big difference between myself and most people in this thread, however, is I sincerely doubt the guy lied, I sincerely doubt that he was out to steal our money, I lean more towards giving him the benefit of doubt and believe he's just a guy with big dreams who tried really hard and, quite frankly, delivered something we haven't really seen before.

That does not forgive him for his mistakes or his over-promising, I am a fan of the game and plan on continue playing it, but I will still hold him accountable for fixing the glaring issues the game has and hopefully putting in some of the content he promised before, but the idea that he straight up maliciously tried to con everyone into buying this game is incredibly tired bullshit.

This game has developed a pretty passionate hate group, though, and I really don't feel like doing the "defend the developers" wank on here, so you all can have your little circle jerk.

farisr

That gt live guy had me off the walls. I'd like to see more his rants.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=opr_XFCF0lA&feature=youtu.be&t=7700 - Mini-rant about EA right after their E3 conference, of course in this case, everyone else was with him (it's done once they start talking about bets)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aP861atZOzg&feature=youtu.be&t=5368 - His reaction to the same battlefield 1 trailer making a 3rd appearance at the MS conference is pretty damn funny too

So somebody spoilertag for me, what is at the center of the universe lol?

There is no "ending". Once you get 10 atlas stones and sent to the centre of the galaxy the game simply goes into essentially "new game plus". You wake up on a random planet again like you did when you first started. That's it. I think there are some hints with the priest Nada that mentions "simulation" in passing, so some people think the ending the way it is holds that the whole game's universe is a simulation (in the same way there's the simulation theory of our universe).

charsace

The problem here is that someone confused infinitely spawnable planet terrains with being able to do infinite things and with having infinite content that 'even we don't know about' ( per the dev). The procedural generation is not deep enough to live up to the suggested possibility of those statements.

Sadly I think hello games knew this. But the hype was so easy to sell. People got so excited by the suggestion. And they just rolled with it. They were encouraged to do so by the wide eyed excitement of their audience, the media and the scent of success. It's hard to pull the handbrake on that snowball once it starts.

I say this as someone who likes the game but who saw this coming a mile off. My only hope is that it doesn't poison the well for other games that use 'procedural generation' later , that could more convincingly deliver on the promise. Tech will get better. I think in this case people were too willing to believe in magic - tech they didn't fully understand - and they weren't discouraged by the devs. It might be arguable the devs were exploitative of tech naïveté. But the baby shouldn't go out with the bath water.

Personally I knew what the game would play like based on the genre its in. The problem I have and some other people probably have is that they were selling things like planets having an eco system, huge creatures, huge structures, huge space battles, and the idea that in their vast galaxy there is a chance you might run into someone else. Instead we don't get any kind of multi and the game does not look like the trailers or game play demos that have been done.

I feel like Hello Games bullshitted me.

vpance

This is brutal. Not inaccurate though from the amount i've played so far.

Still, some people jive with what it offers, but I have to say I'm glad I'm not the only one that never quite got what the "hook" was besides "fly to planets and get stuff"

Many top AAA games can be boiled down to a few simple repeated actions, especially once you take into account how stupid VG storylines and cutscenes can be. It all depends on how much you buy into the game world.

Jobbs

Banned
I don't particularly mind the technical problems -- I'm very sympathetic to that when it's a small studio.

I can also forgive some little white lies or embellishments or features having to be cut ...

Ultimately the problem is that the game is shallow and limited. I don't feel like I even got close to $60 worth. I'd feel okay with it for having witnessed the tech and dinked around a little at the $15 price point.

It's not questionable though.

Features shown in "live demos" and in Sean's own words have been ripped from the game. This is very clear cut, I hope.

Additionally, Sean's claims that you didn't need to constantly be gathering resources were intentionally obtuse.

Factions/trade outposts/ship classes/participating in war/scan to meet up with other players purposefully were used to make players think NMS was bigger than it was. Blatantly or by heavy insinuation.
--
Edit: People casually playing the game just hoping to explore without a constant need to mine Carbon/Plutonium, as Sean said, also are going to be disappointed.

I agree with you, "questionable" was a generous take on my part. But I'm speaking more to the core gameplay loop. I went in expecting a resource gathering game and that's what I got, it's just not as good of one as I was expecting. That's not at all to excuse the lack of delivering on other promised features, don't get me wrong.

I remember when people, mostly here at GAF, were mocking those who were asking "What do you do in this game". Now all of that vagueness has led to the game being overall a disappointment.

Moreche

Also when playing the game if you can't look around the space ship cockpit with the right stick, it means your in a loading screen such as jumping to a new system. Even the whole travel anywhere is lies.
I honestly expect Sean Murray to push out a few free patches and paid expansions with a NMS2 with the tag line,"Everything NMS should have been."

Juicy Bob

I do think that a lot of the promises made by Murray were genuinely done in good faith and honesty at the time, it's just that with the small team at Hello Games, they just were unable to deliver on them.

Ascenion

I thought the goal was to get to the center of the Universe not the Galaxy. If so then the "ending" makes sense.

thenexus6

Whey Funhaus!!

This video was perfection. Man I am so disappointed with this game, even more so seeing that old footage from conventions where the game looked so good.

Absolutely on point. The fact that 3 other dudes who are supposed to be journalists were just looking at him, dumbfounded, is why games press is so bad. They're just low-rent PR for the most part. The press should have been savaging Murray for all his overhyping and vague comments. Letting a dev get away with not revealing features of the game to "avoid spoilers" and shit like that is appalling.

Looking how defensive people on GAF reacted to anything that didn't look like a hype post a negative preview or feature would be like giving Zelda 8/10.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom